Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Deep Book Dive

A few days ago a friend of mine called me up and said, "Bob, come over here
and take home ten boxes of books."

"Um, no. Why?"

He had a gutted out rental house somebody had been renting to store some
stuff in. They died recently and it was packed floor to ceiling with boxes
of books. The family doesn't want any of it.

We talked a while and he said, " So, Bob, come over here and take home ten
boxes of books."

"Um, no."

"Come on Bob. You can always more books..."

We went back and forth for a while, but ultimately I didn't go. Then today
a firend of mine from out of town stopped by. I happen to know his wife
sells used books on Amazon so I mentioned it to him, and we called my other
friend. A few hours later I was staring in the front door of this dingy
dark hole literally piled to the ceiling with boxes of books. We had to
move boxes to create aisles to get into other rooms that we had to move
boxes to create aisle to get to other boxes.

My friend took home 20 boxes of books, and I took home ten boxes of books,
an unused 2"-6" hole gage still sealed in the plastic in the original box, a
3/8 torque wrench new unused (cheap import), a 36 or 40 inch wood lathe,
most of the parts of a tool grinder, some other misc tools, a sausage
stuffer, a few cherry picked books, a couple presses that I have no idea
what they are for, and a big yellow metal box that I think is some kind of
spot welder.

The house is still so pack with stuff it doesn't look like we removed
anything. I doubt if we looked at 5% of what is there.

The big yellow box says Eagle 2000 on the side of it and its heavy. One
lead has a magnetic clamp and the other has a solid copper electrode with a
big D-handle and a trigger button. There is a timer on the front of the big
yellow box.

It was either very obscure its its pretty old. I could not find a Google
image or a refference to it, so it may be pre internet. Its heavy enough I
suspect it has a copper transformer, and not an aluminum one, and it has
four wheels. The only thing is it has a standard 110 plug on it. The leads
are pretty heavy. 3 or 4 times the size of those on my cracker box. Heck
nearly twice the size of the leads on my Miller 212.

Oh, yeah. In the box with the parts of the tool grinder I found one metal
lathe chuck jaw. Makes me want to go back over and see if there is a metal
lathe buried in there some where.

I have no idea what I am going to do with these ten boxes of books. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:29:36 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

snip
[...]

I've got a sister like that, but she's been taking care of Dad, who
turns 97 tomorrow, so we'll worry about her problem later.

My next door neighbor just built a large air conditioned shop with
mezzanine for his woodworking. He's now in the process of trying to
empty the shop he was renting, which was so packed, he couldn't
actually do much of anything. It's still packed, there's a large pile
of his junk out back, and he told me he's renting two storage units.

I think he's actually making an effort, has a scrapper over at the
rented shop and a dino box, because the new shop is already full as it
can get if he expects to do anything in there.

My shop is ok, not big enough to store much. Some stuff is in the
garage. But one of my sons wanted to do some reloading, so now I've
got to figure out where to store in process stuff he's working on so I
can get back to fixing my cousin's bar stools. They're steel with
welded on casters which are worn out, so I'm chopping off the old,
welding on new plates to take bolted on larger casters. Welding is
relatively incompatible with reloading on the same bench.

You are a do-er, Bob. I imagine you'll sort through those boxes and
donate them to a local charity rather than let them clutter up your
space. Going back with a metal detector sounds like fun, though. Let
us know what you find.

Merry Christmas!

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:29:36 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Interesting story. Reminds me of this true story/tale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

The big yellow box says Eagle 2000 on the side of it and its heavy. One
lead has a magnetic clamp and the other has a solid copper electrode with a
big D-handle and a trigger button. There is a timer on the front of the big
yellow box.

snip

Try carefully looking over the box for any copyright dates. It could
help pin down its vintage. Posting some pictures may help too, someone
may have seen something similar with another name.

I have no idea what I am going to do with these ten boxes of books. LOL.

There are a lot of old books that are pretty much worthless. If you
want to check some values, try plugging in some book info he

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

If you just want to get rid of them, try checking with local libraries.
They usually hold used book sales from time to time. You can find some
that have sales listed he

http://www.booksalefinder.com/AZ.html

At least I remember you being in AZ somewhere...

The Salvation Army, Goodwill, St Vincent... used to take in old books
too.

If I was closer by I would come over and have a look. Must be
warmer down there ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 06:10:29 -0600, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:29:36 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

snip
My friend took home 20 boxes of books, and I took home ten boxes of books,
an unused 2"-6" hole gage still sealed in the plastic in the original box, a
3/8 torque wrench new unused (cheap import), a 36 or 40 inch wood lathe,
most of the parts of a tool grinder, some other misc tools, a sausage
stuffer, a few cherry picked books, a couple presses that I have no idea
what they are for, and a big yellow metal box that I think is some kind of
spot welder.

The house is still so pack with stuff it doesn't look like we removed
anything. I doubt if we looked at 5% of what is there.

The big yellow box says Eagle 2000 on the side of it and its heavy. One
lead has a magnetic clamp and the other has a solid copper electrode with a
big D-handle and a trigger button. There is a timer on the front of the big
yellow box.

Perhaps it's a stud welder. Auto body people use them to weld studs
onto the sheetmetal, screw a slide-hammer puller onto the stud, and
pull the dent out. They then break off the stud, grind it flat, and
solder or bondo the remaining ding out. These welders are used over
inaccessible areas like the rear quarter panel, where they can't get a
dolly or slap hammer behind it. Perhaps ask a local body shop's most
ancient body man whether he recognizes the name or tool.

[...]

Har! Excellent idea.

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/20/2016 9:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I have no idea what I am going to do with these ten boxes of books. LOL.

Read, maybe???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message news
On 12/20/2016 9:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I have no idea what I am going to do with these ten boxes of books. LOL.

Read, maybe???

I used to have quite a library in my old house. Thousands of book I'd read
and decided where worth keeping. Thosuands more I donated to the library.
When we moved to a bigger house my wife indiscimantly donated about 2/3s of
my library. She lets me go fishing or hunting or riding my motorycle
anytime I want so I was able to forgive that huge breach, but I pretty much
only save refference books and very valuable books anymore.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
[...]

Maybe later today I'll get it out of the truck, post some pictures, and see
if there is any other information on it. For now I have other work that's
more important.

I need to fix my air system yet this morning. Had my main regulator in front
of the air dryer start leaking, and I need my air system to run... well
actually all of the CNC mills that are currently running. The three little
high speed mills use air seals on the spindles, and the big mill has an air
operated automatic oiler.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:29:36 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

snip
[...]

Maybe. It doesn't appear to have the hole in the end I have seen for stud
welders in the past, but it could have been mashed shut I suppose. Its a
good idea to consider at the least.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 10:37:20 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message news
On 12/20/2016 9:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I have no idea what I am going to do with these ten boxes of books. LOL.

Read, maybe???

People are quite aghast, and ask me "What do you do with your time?"
when I've told them I don't watch TV. At all. I have 7 full-height
bookcases and dozens of boxes on the floors and in closets. It's time
to week through them, but many are reference books.

I used to have quite a library in my old house. Thousands of book I'd read
and decided where worth keeping. Thosuands more I donated to the library.
When we moved to a bigger house my wife indiscimantly donated about 2/3s of
my library.

OMG! That's a drawing and quartering offense in many homes.

She lets me go fishing or hunting or riding my motorycle
anytime I want so I was able to forgive that huge breach, but I pretty much
only save refference books and very valuable books anymore.

And she'll -ask- next time, I trust?

--
....in order that a man may be happy, it is
necessary that he should not only be capable
of his work, but a good judge of his work.
-- John Ruskin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm the title holder of just short of 7000 volumes myself.

We donate 1-300 books a year to the local 'friends of the library'
at the local Library. They sell to the public after the library
takes a look. (most don't). But sell most for $1, current reading for $3
and then some specials for auction. All of the money goes to the
library for projects by the board vote of the Friends....

disclaimer - I'm a Director of the Friends of the Library and have been
for some years.

We take books we buy from the friends (when we are done) to another
site. - like Goodwill.

Martin

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

All-in-all, a next-of-kin could be having to deal with one whirlwind of a clean-up job. GOT JUNK, anyone?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I used to have quite a library in my old house. Thousands of book I'd read
and decided where worth keeping. Thosuands more I donated to the library.
When we moved to a bigger house my wife indiscimantly donated about 2/3s of
my library.

I'll bet you don't even remember what was tossed out. When we all finally keel-over, the people from the next generation not only have to come in and conduct the funerals, but they also have to unfortunately invite themselves over and brave the many fire hazards there and try to clean out the house/trailers/sheds of all those tonnes and tonnes of junk, er ... "projects". Sometimes, that could cost precious time to them in their own lives.

I'd say to heck with being a pack-rat and collecting junk.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I used to have quite a library in my old house. Thousands of book I'd read
and decided where worth keeping. Thosuands more I donated to the library.
When we moved to a bigger house my wife indiscimantly donated about 2/3s of
my library.

I'll bet you don't even remember what was tossed out. When we all finally keel-over, the people from the next generation not only have to come in and conduct the funerals, but they also have to unfortunately invite themselves over and brave the many fire hazards there and try to clean out the house/trailers/sheds of all those tonnes and tonnes of junk, er ... "projects". Sometimes, that could cost precious time to them in their own lives.

I'd say to heck with being a pack-rat and collecting junk.

Agreed, from a recovering pack rat.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I used to have quite a library in my old house. Thousands of book I'd read
and decided where worth keeping. Thosuands more I donated to the library.
When we moved to a bigger house my wife indiscimantly donated about 2/3s of
my library.

I'll bet you don't even remember what was tossed out. When we all finally
keel-over, the people from the next generation not only have to come in
and conduct the funerals, but they also have to unfortunately invite
themselves over and brave the many fire hazards there and try to clean
out the house/trailers/sheds of all those tonnes and tonnes of junk, er
... "projects". Sometimes, that could cost precious time to them in
their own lives.

I'd say to heck with being a pack-rat and collecting junk.

All? No probably not, but dozens of times I've gone looking for a
particular book that I used to have... Its gotten so I often don't even
look anymore. I just buy a new one.