Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Very clever machinist, Keith Fenner.

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 at 2:00:13 AM UTC-5, Jim Barber wrote:
Neglect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExIpXTRRUvs

Resurrection

The refurbishment of the Wood chop saw, seen in Neglect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKmwi2QR3Ug

Resurrection Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85w4cwbX-8

Resurrection Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D2MjJIqJK4

Resurrection Part 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6kfOpB1DJk

Resurrection Part 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK7eUCh92Tk

Resurrection the final episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RahkylmOYY

I have a new found appreciation for machinists thanks to this guy.

That was a nice break from the day's work. Of course, now I'll end up working tonight. One thing that really did surprise me though - no sandblaster and no paint. It just sorta seems like if he could make it LOOK brand new, it would be a good thing. Most customers don't appreciate something working well unless it also looks shiny.

In a high-performance motorcycle shop where I worked for years, we'd spend just a few minutes with Windex and Pledge making the bikes look better on the way out than they did on the way in. Mad a good impression for a minimal investment of time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/15/2016 01:41 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

He said at the end that he doesn't do paint. It's going to another shop for that, which almost certainly means it's all going to get taken apart and later reassembled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh. And this video series was an excellent example for the "plain bearing" thread.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 21:32:36 -0600, Robert Nichols
wrote:

[...]

That was an interesting project. All sorts of different procedures. I
can honestly say I've seen few people actually using a file correctly.
Kudos to him for that. BUT, I thought "draw filing" was drawing it
toward you. Most definitions online tell you to ruin your file by
pushing and pulling it at 90 degrees to the work. That's fine one way
but dulls it the other. What's youse guys' definition of draw filing?

Despite the truth the neglecting the machine, I think Keith may
regret saying that on the videos down the line.

P.S: I'm waiting to see pieces of those silly beads and his beard
caught in his chuck one of these days.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Same process in electronics repair. Make sure stuff leaves cleaner than
when it arrived. Lots of windex and cleaning with short bristle
paintbrushes.