Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Filling Oilers

I've got four machines with automatic oilers now. One pneumatic (with an
electric timer and a solenoid air valve) and three electric. The all have a
fine filter screen under the fill cover. Its a pretty fine screen which I
appreciate. The problem is it takes a long time to fill. As a result I
usually don't fill them until the low oil warning sounds off. I have a
couple squeeze bottles that work ok, but it takes a while. Basically I sit
down on the floor behind the machine and squeeze in a slow stream of oil. If
I get in a hurry it over fills. I've been trying to think of something a
little more efficent than sitting on the floor in the shop filling oilers
every morning. It takes a while to fill all four machines. On top of that
three of the machines have air tool oilers that could stand to be topped off
about every 2-3 days.

Getting back to the machine oilers. I was thinking that maybe I could make
a small bottle reservoir with an air vent tube, and drain tube and a valve
that I could put some oil in, hang it on the side of the machine, run a hose
into the machine oiler, and open the valve to a good position to get the
right fill rate so it doesn't over flow. Then instead of sitting there
squeezing oil into the oiler I could open up the air tool oiler and top it
off while the main oiler is filling.

Ideas? I know. I know. Hire an apprentice and make him do it. LOL. The
thing is I really only know how to do the limited area that I do. I
wouldn't feel right apprenticing somebody... and I kinda want to keep my one
man shop a one man shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I've got four machines with automatic oilers now. One pneumatic (with an
electric timer and a solenoid air valve) and three electric. The all have a
fine filter screen under the fill cover. Its a pretty fine screen which I
appreciate. The problem is it takes a long time to fill. As a result I
usually don't fill them until the low oil warning sounds off. I have a
couple squeeze bottles that work ok, but it takes a while. Basically I sit
down on the floor behind the machine and squeeze in a slow stream of oil. If
I get in a hurry it over fills. I've been trying to think of something a

Can you make a threaded tube that connects to funnel or even another metal
can where you dump the oil in, and then come back later, unscrew that and
then put the oil cap back on?

There's an engine I deal with that requires a special valve/oil spout that
just makes a huge mess and you have to squeeze the oil contailer to let it
breath and all that nonsense. The obvious solution is a maybe 4 inch
funnel that has the same thread as the oil fill cap. Never seen such a
device, has anybody?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
news
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of something a little simpler. A kind of mechanical gravity
flow IV bag with a flow control of some kind. I know about how much oil it
takes to fill from any given line on the tank. Dump that amount of oil in
the fill device, and then go do some other part of the start up rotuine.
Start the air dryer. Fill an air oiler. Throw a breakfast sandwich in the
microwave. Etc, etc. Come back and check the next machine.

You are kind of thinking along similar lines.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 13:53:00 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

What I did in your situation was to put a filter at the output of a
hand operated oil pump that fits in a 5 gallon bucket. The filter is
finer than the screen in the oiler. I then took the screens out of the
oilers. Now I can pump oil into the oilers quickly. The oil I am
pumping is Hydroclear way lube. I like it better than Vactra. So do my
machines.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 12:53:13 PM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've got four machines with automatic oilers now. One pneumatic (with an
electric timer and a solenoid air valve) and three electric. The all have a
fine filter screen under the fill cover. Its a pretty fine screen which I
appreciate. The problem is it takes a long time to fill.

One approach would be to use a microdispensing pump; just put it on a five minute
timer to get 5 fluid ounces transferred. Costs the world, though.

Another is to install a quick-connect (zerk, or similar) fitting that excludes
dirt, and delivers clean oil from a prefiltered source, to the reservoir UNDER
the filter. Snap the oiler onto the fitting, pump a few strokes, and you're
done. The fitting plugs itself when you detach the fill connection.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I've got four machines with automatic oilers now. One pneumatic (with an
electric timer and a solenoid air valve) and three electric. The all have
fine filter screen under the fill cover. Its a pretty fine screen which I
appreciate. The problem is it takes a long time to fill.

Heat the oil in a bucket of hot water first. Then, when filling, make sure
the screen is not completely covered in oil, or it causes an air lock.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What oil are you using? I use Vactra #2 and I just pour it in. Does
not take long at all. Are you using something really thick? heat it
like the other poster suggested.

wrote:

[...]

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 09:08:57 -0500, Randy333
wrote:

What oil are you using? I use Vactra #2 and I just pour it in. Does
not take long at all. Are you using something really thick? heat it
like the other poster suggested.

Also, wide-mouth/small-spout funnels come in real handy for screened
openings, leaving an air gap around the outside.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cup oilers, Where to buy, ships to Canada CNC Solutions Metalworking 27 May 24th 11 07:18 AM
Making oilers Matty F UK diy 0 August 29th 10 12:45 PM
Myford ML7 and ML10 oilers Youra Metalworking 0 October 12th 07 06:03 PM
Air Compressor Oilers Grumpy Dave Woodworking 1 March 24th 05 06:11 AM
Question for all the oilers out there Mike Marlow Woodworking 14 January 26th 05 08:48 PM