Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default how can I make homemade sheet lead?

replying to Joe Travis, Seeker wrote:
I'm wanting to try this as well. My best guess is to create a vertical mold
out of wood. Basically a pair of flat sheets of wood sandwiched with spacers.
It might be destroyed after a few pours but it would make thin flat sheets.

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ad-371813-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19-Nov-16 1:18 PM, Seeker wrote:
replying to Joe Travis, Seeker wrote:
I'm wanting to try this as well. My best guess is to create a vertical mold
out of wood. Basically a pair of flat sheets of wood sandwiched with
spacers.
It might be destroyed after a few pours but it would make thin flat sheets.

Preheat a shallow baking tray and pour in the amount you need and then
let it cool?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Seeker wrote:

replying to Joe Travis, Seeker wrote:
I'm wanting to try this as well. My best guess is to create a vertical
mold
out of wood. Basically a pair of flat sheets of wood sandwiched with
spacers. It might be destroyed after a few pours but it would make thin
flat sheets.

Yes, the pipe organ makers did it like this: They had a leveled surface
plate, placed "dams" in the right place to limit the size and poured lead,
tin or solder in to the desired thickness. There were weights to prevent
the dams from moving.

So, they did it horizontally.

Jon