Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is it? (Amateur version Post #15)

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST15_TOOL57. This metal tool is approximately 10 inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coating. One handle ends in a jaw with curved portion with a sharp inner edge. There is a further attachment to this jaw which can rotate to create a closed oval shape with sharp inner edges. The other side of this attached piece that has cogs on the outer arc. The size of the circle can be decreased by a ratchet action with the motion of the other handle. There is a release that will allow free motion of the rotating part. I have hidden a name stamped on the tool.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrylu5v0pv..._PIC1.jpg?dl=0

POST15_TOOL58. On first look this would appear to be a regular screw driver.. However the shaft is split and the width and breadth of the driving end can be varied by sliding the movable fitting along the shaft. Moving the fitting toward the driving end decreases its breadth and increases its width.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwtombsssh...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST15_TOOL59. This metal tool is approximately 4 inches by 5 inches and consists of four parts: a rigid U-shaped part with cut-away portions near the tops of the U; a threaded shaft passing through the bottom of the U; a smooth shaft providing leverage to turn the threaded shaft; and a round toy-top-shaped metal piece ending in a point attached to the threaded shaft but able to spin independently of it. The arms of the U are rigid. The cut-away portions near the tops of the U would allow it to pass a rectangular piece with a cross-section 5/8 inch by 1¼ inch.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lsch04amy...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST15_TOOL60. This plastic and metal tool is a little less than 7 inches long. The working end has a round opening approximately 1 inch in diameter. The inside of the ring tapers inward and has lightly scored marks parallel to the shaft of the tool.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrz2jt8xc6...ICALL.jpg?dl=0
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16-Nov-16 10:23 AM, Larry Flynn wrote:
[...]

Good on you Larry.

I reckon:

57 Conduit or cable cutter

58 Screw holding screw driver

59 Dunno. Cheap flaring tool? Stud setting tool?

60 No idea!

Cheers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:23:30 -0800 (PST), Larry Flynn
wrote:

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST15_TOOL57. This metal tool is approximately 10 inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coating. One handle ends in a jaw with curved portion with a sharp inner edge. There is a further attachment to this jaw which can rotate to create a closed oval shape with sharp inner edges. The other side of this attached piece that has cogs on the outer arc. The size of the circle can be decreased by a ratchet action with the motion of the other handle. There is a release that will allow free motion of the rotating part. I have hidden a name stamped on the tool.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrylu5v0pv..._PIC1.jpg?dl=0

Cable cutter

POST15_TOOL58. On first look this would appear to be a regular screw driver. However the shaft is split and the width and breadth of the driving end can be varied by sliding the movable fitting along the shaft. Moving the fitting toward the driving end decreases its breadth and increases its width.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwtombsssh...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Early screw-holder screw driver

POST15_TOOL59. This metal tool is approximately 4 inches by 5 inches and consists of four parts: a rigid U-shaped part with cut-away portions near the tops of the U; a threaded shaft passing through the bottom of the U; a smooth shaft providing leverage to turn the threaded shaft; and a round toy-top-shaped metal piece ending in a point attached to the threaded shaft but able to spin independently of it. The arms of the U are rigid. The cut-away portions near the tops of the U would allow it to pass a rectangular piece with a cross-section 5/8 inch by 1 inch.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lsch04amy...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Flaring tool
POST15_TOOL60. This plastic and metal tool is a little less than 7 inches long. The working end has a round opening approximately 1 inch in diameter. The inside of the ring tapers inward and has lightly scored marks parallel to the shaft of the tool.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrz2jt8xc6...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Brake retainer spring tool
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 9:23:33 PM UTC-5, Larry Flynn wrote:
[...]

Tool58 is a split-tip, holding screwdriver. I have one of those. The purpose of the split tip is to hold onto a screw, for reaching into recessed places or those that otherwise are inaccessible to your fingers for holding the fastener.

Tool59 (two tools) is a flaring tool. It needs a die that holds the end of the tubing being flared. I have a couple of those, too.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think #57 is a plastic pipe cutter , agree with you on the other 3 .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Tool 15 looks an awfull lot like a Klein KLT63060 electrical cable
cutter to me.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ratch...k3FpiDu3qqM%3A
All trhe others I have in my toolbox. Dad used to have the Klein.
Mabee an Iwiss CC-325 -more likely a chinese clone - but DEFINITELY a
cable cutter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Everybody already got 'em all by the time I saw the list. BUT, I would like for #60 to be a bit narrower and be a wire nut wrench. Klein used to have a screwdriver with such a wrench in the handle, but I haven't seen one in the store for years. I could use one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 4:16:31 PM UTC-5, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Yes, quick work this time for all four:
POST15_TOOL57. Ratcheting copper/aluminum cable cutter
POST15_TOOL58. Quick-wedge slotted screw-holding screw driver
POST15_TOOL59. One piece of a two piecing flaring tool kit
POST15_TOOL60. Brake retaining spring tool

L. Flynn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-11-16, Larry Flynn wrote:

Here is another post in my amateur ?What is it?? tool thread. As
usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and
how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.

L. Flynn

POST15_TOOL57. This metal tool is approximately 10 inches long. The
handles have a rubbery red plastic coating. One handle ends in a jaw
with curved portion with a sharp inner edge. There is a further
attachment to this jaw which can rotate to create a closed oval shape
with sharp inner edges. The other side of this attached piece that has
cogs on the outer arc. The size of the circle can be decreased by a
ratchet action with the motion of the other handle. There is a release
that will allow free motion of the rotating part. I have hidden a name
stamped on the tool.

Depending on just how deep the sharp part of the blade is, I
would guess that it is intended to cut PVC pipe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrylu5v0pv..._PIC1.jpg?dl=0

POST15_TOOL58. On first look this would appear to be a regular screw
driver. However the shaft is split and the width and breadth of the
driving end can be varied by sliding the movable fitting along the
shaft. Moving the fitting toward the driving end decreases its breadth
and increases its width.

This sounds like a screw-starting screwdriver which used to be
sold. I've had some, and later got better ones for the purpose. You
put the blade in the slot of the screw, slide the collar down until the
growing thickness of the blade grips the screw by the slot, and then use
it to reach and put the screw where it goes and start it by a turn or
two before going to a standard screwdriver for finishing the job.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwtombsssh...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST15_TOOL59. This metal tool is approximately 4 inches by 5 inches
and consists of four parts: a rigid U-shaped part with cut-away
portions near the tops of the U; a threaded shaft passing through the
bottom of the U; a smooth shaft providing leverage to turn the threaded
shaft; and a round toy-top-shaped metal piece ending in a point attached
to the threaded shaft but able to spin independently of it. The arms of
the U are rigid. The cut-away portions near the tops of the U would
allow it to pass a rectangular piece with a cross-section 5/8 inch by
1 inch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lsch04amy...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

You're missing some parts. There should be a second assembly
with two parallel steel bars, with a set of various sized holes, with
ridged IDs. They are split in half to the two parallel steel bars.
There is also a countersink on one side for each hole. The two bars are
joined with pivots at one end, and the other end has a swinging threaded
bar from permanent attachment to one bar and dropping into a slot on the
other. There should be a T-handled nut to clamp this over copper (or
perhaps steel) tubing. You clamp it with just the right distance
projecting, put it in the notches on the arms of the part you have,
rotate to lock it in place, and start turning the screw, advancing the
cone into the end of the tubing.

The function is to flare the tubing for attaching to a coupling.
(You were supposeed to remember to slide the nut on to the tubing first.
:-)

POST15_TOOL60. This plastic and metal tool is a little less than 7
inches long. The working end has a round opening approximately 1 inch in
diameter. The inside of the ring tapers inward and has lightly scored
marks parallel to the shaft of the tool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrz2jt8xc6...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) A wrench for a knurled ring nut similar to those used to attach
electronic controls to panels. Common ones are for things like
phone jacks, or toggle switches. The knurled OD allows them to
be mounted closer together.

2) Or -- it could be a tool to rough and taper the end of a wooden
dowel prior to gluing.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-11-16, Larry Flynn wrote:

[...]

I've had better luck with this style of flaring tool which holds the
die centered on the tubing more accurately for the first bell fla
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...FRdMDQoddD4Caw

It works quite well with NiCopp brake line, a little less well with
steel which doesn't want to compress and bell out straight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 13:16:29 -0800 (PST)
rangerssuck wrote:

Everybody already got 'em all by the time I saw the list.
BUT, I would like for #60 to be a bit narrower and be a
wire nut wrench. Klein used to have a screwdriver with such
a wrench in the handle, but I haven't seen one in the store
for years. I could use one.

Wasn't something I ever wished for but remember seeing them too...

Amazon has some versions made to go on 1/4 inch hex drivers:

https://www.amazon.com/Rack-Tiers-72...dp/B0087TBPS2/

Check down the page a little to see some other versions and be sure to
read the comments. Some people couldn't get it to work

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b