Railroad Track Anvil, Built

Old July 30th 04, 05:15 AM
Shawn

Default Railroad Track Anvil, Built

At the objection of some, I finally got around to building the anvil. It
needs a paint job but is basically completed. Sorry about the .txt file, I
had word wrap on so most of it is one VERY long line. I'll post it below so
you can skip the hassle of the one in the dropbox.

Shawn

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/RR_Track_Anvil.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ck_Anvil_1.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ck_Anvil_2.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ck_Anvil_3.JPG

Contents of "RR_Track_Anvil.txt" are as follows:
Railroad Track Anvil

Files:
RR_Track_Anvil_1
RR_Track_Anvil_2
RR_Track_Anvil_3

These are pictures of the railroad track anvil I built. There are really
only two purposes for this anvil. The first is to hammer out over bends I
make on my Hossfeld bender (pictured in the background) and the other is for
ease of changing sickle (sp?) bar cutter sections. The track is approx. 18"
long and is 115 lb/yd. The base was built from 3/16" x 2" x 1 1/2" angle
iron in a pyramid shape. All eight edges have re-bar welded at the midpoint
into the concrete. The footprint of the base measures approx. 12" x 16" and
is filled with concrete for weight and stability. The anvil is bolted to a
piece of 3" x 1 1/2" channel iron welded to the top of the uneven leg angle
iron. There is a 1/8" thick layer of rubber sheet between the anvil and the
channel iron to keep the noise down. To finalize this project I will be
painting it and attaching a piece of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the base
with TapCons, this will keep the metal edges off the floor. This anvil is
fairly heavy but VERY easy to scoot around the floor as most of the weight
is at the bottom.

Old July 30th 04, 01:22 PM
TomNBanderaTx

Looks good, but now you need to temper the face or top so it doesn't dent or
cut as easy. grind and sand it till all the gouges, dents are gone and the
surface is smooth and shiny. Then heat it to about 450 degrees then set it
face down in either water or oil, if you use oil be careful of possible
flash fire. Then you can paint the sides and bottom. Good luck

Old July 30th 04, 02:27 PM
mongke

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:15:42 +0000, Shawn wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ck_Anvil_2.JPG

You seem to have some ghosts around your shop :0

And your anvil looks real nice. I might try to make something like that.

--

Regards,

Mongke

Old July 30th 04, 07:19 PM
Shawn

"mongke" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:15:42 +0000, Shawn wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...ck_Anvil_2.JPG

You seem to have some ghosts around your shop :0

Actually that is cigarette smoke. I didn't see it in the 2" x 2" LCD
preview or else I would have set the cigarette down and taken another shot.

Shawn

Old July 30th 04, 07:44 PM
SteveB

"Shawn" shawn_75ATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
At the objection of some, I finally got around to building the anvil. It
needs a paint job but is basically completed. Sorry about the .txt file,

had word wrap on so most of it is one VERY long line. I'll post it below

so
you can skip the hassle of the one in the dropbox.

Shawn

OMIGAWD, Shawn! Do you realize what you have done? Built an anvil out of
stolen rail. Given our enemies an inroad to our techniques and metallurgy.
I know it seems innocuous, and a small step, but to coin an old phrase,
"Loose rails sink ships." Or something like that.

Anyway, it starts that way. Soon you will be tempted by subliminal messages
in the arc rays of your welding rig. Polarities and electromagnetic fields
will have all manner of effects on you that you were once immune to.

SAVE YOURSELF! It's not too late.

BTW, nice anvil. ;-)

Steve

Old July 30th 04, 07:54 PM
The Guy

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Yep...better line the inside of yout welding helmet with tin foil just
in case the subliminal messages have started. Since those characters
who were responsible for the mass of computer popup ads were shut down,
you might start seeing popups on the window of your welding helmet. Just
to be safe, cover the glass with tin foil too!

the anvil, what did you use to cut and shape the anvil? A gas torch
or plasma? I like the weighting of the base. Nice job.

Tim

--
No BoomBoom for me! -

Old July 30th 04, 09:03 PM
Shawn

"The Guy" wrote in message

the anvil, what did you use to cut and shape the anvil? A gas torch
or plasma? I like the weighting of the base. Nice job.

Tim

O/A torch and alot of foul language.

Shawn

Old July 30th 04, 11:15 PM
Richard J Kinch

Shawn writes:

This anvil is
fairly heavy but VERY easy to scoot around the floor as most of the
weight is at the bottom.

Having made similar things, I figured out next time I would use some 1/2"
PVC pipe to cast in an axle through-hole near the bottom of the base. That
way you can put an axle and some wheels just off the ground, and some
sockets for a handle, and you can wheel it around the shop. I imagine you
could retrofit this by welding onto your angles.
Old July 30th 04, 11:16 PM
Rick Barter

Shawn wrote:

"The Guy" wrote in message

the anvil, what did you use to cut and shape the anvil? A gas torch
or plasma? I like the weighting of the base. Nice job.

Tim

O/A torch and alot of foul language.

Shawn

Foul language? That's my favorite tool! Come to think of it, it's my
favorite greeting, insult, and general purpose communication device
too! Ahhh the versatility.

rvb