Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

I remember a few months back a long discussion of people looking
for where to buy hickys (conduit benders). People were failing in lots
of places which used to work.

Well ... recently, I was in "Home Despot" getting some
electrical fixtures (outlets, boxes, etc) and noticed at the end of the
asile where the wire and conduit type fittings were, a display of three
sizes of hickys -- 1/2", 3/4" and 1".

So -- they *are* out there, and not in a particularly esoteric
place.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

a display of three
sizes of hickys -- 1/2", 3/4" and 1".

They have gooses' bridles over in the outdoor section, too.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 05:49:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

a display of three
sizes of hickys -- 1/2", 3/4" and 1".

They have gooses' bridles over in the outdoor section, too.

We, um, won't ask -why- you knew that, Lloyd.

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/24/2016 11:57 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
I remember a few months back a long discussion of people looking
for where to buy hickys (conduit benders). People were failing in lots
of places which used to work.

I recall the general thread but wasn't it a particular one somewhat out
of the run-of-the-mill the OP was looking for????
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 08:05:15 -0500
dpb wrote:

On 10/24/2016 11:57 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
I remember a few months back a long discussion of people looking
for where to buy hickys (conduit benders). People were failing in lots
of places which used to work.

I recall the general thread but wasn't it a particular one somewhat out
of the run-of-the-mill the OP was looking for????

Yeah, he wanted one that would work with 1/2 inch EMT (thin wall). All
he could find were for 1/2 inch ridged.

He did find one eventually in someones old stock at a reasonable price,
if I remember correctly...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

On 10/24/2016 11:57 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
I remember a few months back a long discussion of people looking
for where to buy hickys (conduit benders). People were failing in lots
of places which used to work.

I recall the general thread but wasn't it a particular one somewhat out
of the run-of-the-mill the OP was looking for????

Yeah, he wanted one that would work with 1/2 inch EMT (thin wall). All
he could find were for 1/2 inch ridged.

Not that it matters but wasn't it t'other way 'round? EMT is pretty
common; as noted the box stores have them...rigid, "not so much" any
more; they expect you to buy the prefab bends, etc., it seems...plus,
it's a lot more work to bend even 1/2" rigid...

(yeah, I'm hangin' around this am inside waiting for a service rep call,
looking for diversion while waiting... )
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 09:05:28 -0500
dpb wrote:

snip
Not that it matters but wasn't it t'other way 'round? EMT is pretty
common; as noted the box stores have them...rigid, "not so much" any
more; they expect you to buy the prefab bends, etc., it seems...plus,
it's a lot more work to bend even 1/2" rigid...

All true but EMT is harder to bend without kinking. I suspect that
there was a change made in the Electric Code too. Something like
minimum radius for 1/2 inch EMT that would be easy to violate with
this Hickey.

I tried finding some at the time and all I came up with were for 1/2
inch ridged. Which would also work with 3/4 inch EMT in theory...

(yeah, I'm hangin' around this am inside waiting for a service rep call,
looking for diversion while waiting... )

Good luck with the waiting. Getting anyone to call or email ME back
nowadays is pretty rare...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 10:35:23 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

Original poster was:

Cydrome Leader

May 17

I was looking for a 1/2" EMC hickey for some tight, ugly bends, but
don't see any in any catalogs. A few places still make rigid/IMC
hickeys for 1/2 but are these compatible or they too loose, and will
collapse thinwall?

See:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/rec.crafts.metalworking/hickey$20AND$20bender$20AND$20after$3A2016$2F04$2F 01$20AND$20before$3A2016$2F09$2F01/rec.crafts.metalworking/CPV5Wu8Nd5s

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/25/2016 9:40 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

I was looking for a 1/2" EMC hickey for some tight, ugly bends, ...

Ah, yeah, I forgotted--it was the very tight bends OP was after was the
prime problem...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 10/24/2016 11:57 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
I remember a few months back a long discussion of people looking
for where to buy hickys (conduit benders). People were failing in lots
of places which used to work.

I recall the general thread but wasn't it a particular one somewhat out
of the run-of-the-mill the OP was looking for????

It was me. I was looking for the fabled 1/2" EMT hickey. You can still get
rigid 1/2" and up hickeys.

Finally I found an old stock Ideal cast iron hickey made for 1/2 EMT.
Let's just say it's more of a tubing collapser than bender, but if you
crawl the hook along the bend you can get a much tighter radius than with
a normal bender.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 10/25/2016 9:40 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

I was looking for a 1/2" EMC hickey for some tight, ugly bends, ...

Ah, yeah, I forgotted--it was the very tight bends OP was after was the
prime problem...

It's all fixed now, without a daisy chain of pull boxes.

Here's something else I came across, elsewhere. The colors are a bit off
from adjusting the pic so you could see the secret outlet.

http://www.panix.com/~presence/amazing-outlet.jpg

My guess is something once plugged into that outlet and ran into the box
below, and there may have been a cover in place. Still super weird.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25 Oct 2016 04:57:57 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

I remember a few months back a long discussion of people looking
for where to buy hickys (conduit benders). People were failing in lots
of places which used to work.

Well ... recently, I was in "Home Despot" getting some
electrical fixtures (outlets, boxes, etc) and noticed at the end of the
asile where the wire and conduit type fittings were, a display of three
sizes of hickys -- 1/2", 3/4" and 1".

So -- they *are* out there, and not in a particularly esoteric
place.

Enjoy,
DoN.

They have ALWAYS been readilly available if you know anything at all
about buying tools and electrical supplies. You won't find them at
WallMart - - -
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:01:55 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome Leader wrote:

snip
Here's something else I came across, elsewhere. The colors are a bit off
from adjusting the pic so you could see the secret outlet.

http://www.panix.com/~presence/amazing-outlet.jpg

My guess is something once plugged into that outlet and ran into the box
below, and there may have been a cover in place. Still super weird.

I like it. Nice way to keep people from unplugging something that
shouldn't be. Once you put the cover on no one would suspect it was
there

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/25/2016 12:45 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:01:55 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome wrote:

snip
Here's something else I came across, elsewhere. The colors are a bit off
from adjusting the pic so you could see the secret outlet.

http://www.panix.com/~presence/amazing-outlet.jpg

My guess is something once plugged into that outlet and ran into the box
below, and there may have been a cover in place. Still super weird.

I like it. Nice way to keep people from unplugging something that
shouldn't be. Once you put the cover on no one would suspect it was
there

What I was thinking, too...and mounting the handy box inside the larger
at 90 degrees does leave enough room for the plugs and the cover...looks
to me like probably they had to either thread the cord through and
reconnect at the business to use a molded, integral plug though??? Not
enough conduit diameter to feed a plug thru, is there???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 12:17:30 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

They have ALWAYS been readilly available if you know anything at all
about buying tools and electrical supplies. You won't find them at
WallMart - - -

I sure didn't have any trouble finding mine, in a 'kit' with two of the
most-common heads. And I got mine at Lowes. (HD, same-same).

The most-common being 1/2" and 3/4"?

I can find damnear anything, and for a great price, on either eBay.com
or Amazon.com. The Home Depot (as stated), Homedepot.com, and
Craigslist.com usually have local stuff, too.

Any electrical supply has hickeys, though, and those are in nearly
every town in many countries. I'm surprised that so few people think
of those when they shop for something potentially hard-to-find.

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
--P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:56:45 -0500
dpb wrote:

On 10/25/2016 12:45 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

snip
I like it. Nice way to keep people from unplugging something that
shouldn't be. Once you put the cover on no one would suspect it was
there

What I was thinking, too...and mounting the handy box inside the larger
at 90 degrees does leave enough room for the plugs and the cover...looks
to me like probably they had to either thread the cord through and
reconnect at the business to use a molded, integral plug though??? Not
enough conduit diameter to feed a plug thru, is there???

Yeah, my thoughts too that you would still have to wire in a
plug/cable. A larger entryway would be better, big enough to fish a
plug through.

Just something I hadn't seen before and probably wouldn't
have thought up myself. Filed away in my head now in case one day it
might be useful ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/25/2016 11:25 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Any electrical supply has hickeys, though, and those are in nearly
every town in many countries. I'm surprised that so few people think
of those when they shop for something potentially hard-to-find.

Well, I for one always think of them, but if there's _any_ alternative
I'll go elsewhere as OTC pricing is simply exorbitant -- not just high
but obscene. I needed a flex conduit 1" box termination and they
charged me almost $20!!!! Could almost have driven the 60 mi to nearest
HD for the difference excepting for the time...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/26/2016 7:16 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

Just something I hadn't seen before and probably wouldn't
have thought up myself. Filed away in my head now in case one day it
might be useful ;-)

I'd not either, not sure I'd'a thunk of it also, but it surely made me
think of my dad -- be something he'd come up with, likely! There
are a lot of home-engineered solutions around the farmstead that are
just duck-soup simple but effective similar to that one...but it
wouldn't have surprised me to see something like that at several of the
utility generation plants for an instrumentation installation that
wasn't intended necessarily as permanent. Did a lot of one-of-a-kind
tests over the years in the former consulting life where might need to
take lab instrumentation to the boiler floor such that a temporary
rigging similar to the above would be "the cat's meow"...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:23:48 -0500
dpb wrote:

I'd not either, not sure I'd'a thunk of it also, but it surely made me
think of my dad -- be something he'd come up with, likely!

That's kinda funny, my Dad was the same way. A lot of his solutions
were far from elegant or pretty but got the job done...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:nuqm9v$c9b$1
@dont-email.me:

That's kinda funny, my Dad was the same way. A lot of his solutions
were far from elegant or pretty but got the job done...

My dad didn't have a 'hickey', but understood the need and purpose of
EMT... so he packed his (hard!) with sand, and bent them around a barn
post.

Hey... it worked! Washing the sand back out was a chore, though.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If the second big box was not there, there would be room for a metal
cover on the wall plug. Also get around the cord through a cover.

I can see where that would be useful. Child proofing. Have the plug
in and cover on, have the plug out and the cover on. The cord would
be captive in a plastic squeeze down feed through.

Martin

On 10/25/2016 4:56 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/25/2016 12:45 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 16:01:55 +0000 (UTC)
Cydrome wrote:

snip
Here's something else I came across, elsewhere. The colors are a bit off
from adjusting the pic so you could see the secret outlet.

http://www.panix.com/~presence/amazing-outlet.jpg

My guess is something once plugged into that outlet and ran into the box
below, and there may have been a cover in place. Still super weird.

I like it. Nice way to keep people from unplugging something that
shouldn't be. Once you put the cover on no one would suspect it was
there

What I was thinking, too...and mounting the handy box inside the larger
at 90 degrees does leave enough room for the plugs and the cover...looks
to me like probably they had to either thread the cord through and
reconnect at the business to use a molded, integral plug though??? Not
enough conduit diameter to feed a plug thru, is there???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

[...]

I checked the rest of the pics from that weird setup and it makes a bit
more sense now with some context.

The unused electrical box below was probably for an alarm or access system
for a bank vault. It's possible they had to secure the power plug, but
would/could not allow third party people to hardwire stuff into the
building. Keycard/door systems and even phone PBXs that mount on those
plywood boards sometimes seem to be configured where everything looks
permanent but it's all running off a dedicated outlet you can just unplug.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 12:25:29 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

I can find damnear anything, and for a great price, on either eBay.com
or Amazon.com. The Home Depot (as stated), Homedepot.com, and
Craigslist.com usually have local stuff, too.

Warning a minor gloat coming.

Today I cruised thru the local scrap yard and found almost nothing. But did find a Gardner Bender 1/2 inch emt hickey. Well not the whole thing, it was just the head, no handle. But kind of nice with a bubble level and arrows indicating the angle bent. It is cast aluminum and the guy at the scrap yard did not charge me for it.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 10/25/2016 11:25 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Any electrical supply has hickeys, though, and those are in nearly
every town in many countries. I'm surprised that so few people think
of those when they shop for something potentially hard-to-find.

Well, I for one always think of them, but if there's _any_ alternative
I'll go elsewhere as OTC pricing is simply exorbitant -- not just high
but obscene. I needed a flex conduit 1" box termination and they
charged me almost $20!!!! Could almost have driven the 60 mi to nearest
HD for the difference excepting for the time...

My home town had to Electrical supply houses. The old line store
would only deal with contractors, and they could take a half day to pull
the order for over the counter sales. The other gave me a $2,000 line
of credit the first visit. I bought most items by the
bag/box/bundle/reel, so I got their column D pricing on everything. A
typical stop was $100 to $500. They pulled the order in under 15
minutes, and loaded it into my truck. The guys that worked out of a
beater car would complain that they only needed one or two items, so
they should get priority.

The manager informed them that I bought in full quantities and I
paid cash. I saw one buy six feet of Romex and two clamps. It took
about half as long to get that, as the entire list of my order.

They argued that I wasn't an electrician. They were told that I did
industrial electronics work, where downtime was expensive to my
customers. Their customers were too cheap to hire a licensed contractor.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

My home town had to Electrical supply houses. The old line store would
only deal with contractors, and they could take a half day to pull the
order for over the counter sales. The other gave me a $2,000 line of
credit the first visit. I bought most items by the bag/box/bundle/reel,
so I got their column D pricing on everything. ...

Oh that there were a second here, still...when "ol' Shuf" was still
alive (original owner of the locally-owned one here from way-back, since
sold and now resale/wholesale only) had account there. They
transitioned out of any OTC sales 10-15 yr ago now so we're left with
only the large corporate outlet that has no local say in what they do;
everything "according to the book" from corporate. Service is no
problem; just pricing if not licensed contractor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default e: Hickeys

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 08:46:13 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 10/25/2016 11:25 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Any electrical supply has hickeys, though, and those are in nearly
every town in many countries. I'm surprised that so few people think
of those when they shop for something potentially hard-to-find.

Well, I for one always think of them, but if there's _any_ alternative
I'll go elsewhere as OTC pricing is simply exorbitant -- not just high
but obscene. I needed a flex conduit 1" box termination and they
charged me almost $20!!!! Could almost have driven the 60 mi to nearest
HD for the difference excepting for the time...

My home town had to Electrical supply houses. The old line store
would only deal with contractors, and they could take a half day to pull
the order for over the counter sales.

They were so cutthroat they cut their own? (good) I've known stores
like that, and I've never done business with them, either.

The other gave me a $2,000 line of credit the first visit.

There ya go! That's the type of store to visit.

I bought most items by the
bag/box/bundle/reel, so I got their column D pricing on everything. A
typical stop was $100 to $500. They pulled the order in under 15
minutes, and loaded it into my truck. The guys that worked out of a
beater car would complain that they only needed one or two items, so
they should get priority.

I have felt that way at times, but I realized that the store had to
take care of the moneymakers first, so I didn't complain.

The manager informed them that I bought in full quantities and I
paid cash. I saw one buy six feet of Romex and two clamps. It took
about half as long to get that, as the entire list of my order.

Most electricians don't care, as the time spent in the store is billed
to the customer, in many cases.

They argued that I wasn't an electrician. They were told that I did
industrial electronics work, where downtime was expensive to my
customers. Their customers were too cheap to hire a licensed contractor.

Farkin' Sparkies. Likely -union-, too. spit We have a Platt
Electric distributor around here, and they're really good guys. Most
of their stuff is damned expensive, though. I seldom buy there, but
when I do, the wait isn't long at all. They have annual BBQs, too, so
I'm well fed and given discount coupons at the same shindig, so it
works out nicely.

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
--P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 08:48:11 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 12:25:29 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:

I can find damnear anything, and for a great price, on either eBay.com
or Amazon.com. The Home Depot (as stated), Homedepot.com, and
Craigslist.com usually have local stuff, too.

Warning a minor gloat coming.

Today I cruised thru the local scrap yard and found almost nothing. But did find a Gardner Bender 1/2 inch emt hickey. Well not the whole thing, it was just the head, no handle. But kind of nice with a bubble level and arrows indicating the angle bent. It is cast aluminum and the guy at the scrap yard did not charge me for it.

Dan

Great deal.

I've had mine for almost 45 years.

Your free one, Mikey? Cool!

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
--P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
dpb wrote:
[...]

Ha!

6 feet of romex. The friendly electrical supply house here will load your
vehicle up even if you're clearly not in the trade. The other places with
the shiny showrooms seem to be bothered by any sort of counter sale. They
also seem to have huge warehouses full of nothing as even simple stuff
doesn't seem to be in stock for some reason. I don't get it, but whatever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

My home town had to Electrical supply houses. The old line store would
only deal with contractors, and they could take a half day to pull the
order for over the counter sales. The other gave me a $2,000 line of
credit the first visit. I bought most items by the bag/box/bundle/reel,
so I got their column D pricing on everything. ...

Oh that there were a second here, still...when "ol' Shuf" was still
alive (original owner of the locally-owned one here from way-back, since
sold and now resale/wholesale only) had account there. They
transitioned out of any OTC sales 10-15 yr ago now so we're left with
only the large corporate outlet that has no local say in what they do;
everything "according to the book" from corporate. Service is no
problem; just pricing if not licensed contractor.

What's the name of corporate?

Graybar and CED in Chicago are both good. CED doesn't seem to play the
game of higher prices unless you can come up with an account number
though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/29/2016 11:27 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

... we're left with
only the large corporate outlet that has no local say in what they do;
everything "according to the book" from corporate. Service is no
problem; just pricing if not licensed contractor.

What's the name of corporate?

Graybar and CED in Chicago are both good. CED doesn't seem to play the
game of higher prices unless you can come up with an account number
though.

Well, the "large" is comparatively, it's a regional outfit of about 20
locations in KS/MO. They go by Stanion Wholesale Electric. Doesn't
keep them from being most unfriendly price-wise to anything OTC, though...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 18:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

snip
Today I cruised thru the local scrap yard and found almost
nothing. But did find a Gardner Bender 1/2 inch emt hickey.
Well not the whole thing, it was just the head, no handle.
But kind of nice with a bubble level and arrows indicating
the angle bent. It is cast aluminum and the guy at the
scrap yard did not charge me for it.

Nice find. They go for $20-30 new around here. And that is without
the handle. Handles are sold separately. Had to buy mine new (1/2 and
3/4 in). Just scrounged up the appropriate sized pipes for handles.

What you got is what we just called a bender in this area. A Hickey is a
slightly different animal. Nice little pdf file I found he

https://www.quia.com/files/quia/user...onduit_Bending

It has a drawing on the first page of a regular EMT bender and a
Hickey. Brief description of usage. A lot of nice bending tips,
measurements too if you're new to this

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:nv4njt$n5o$1
@dont-email.me:

A lot of nice bending tips,
measurements too if you're new to this

It's a good review if you only bend thinwall about once every three years,
like I do. grin

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 09:20:22 -0500
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:nv4njt$n5o$1
:

A lot of nice bending tips,
measurements too if you're new to this

It's a good review if you only bend thinwall about once every three years,
like I do. grin

Lloyd

It (pdf) would have been really, really helpful when I started out as an
apprentice. Other than the obvious measurements for 90 deg bends and
some tutoring from other workers I was on my own. Figuring out offsets
and other complex bends was great fun. Couplings were your friend

I never saw a short "hickey" back then. It was just in the last 10
years or so that I learned about them. It would have been a useful tool
to have had around back then. We had other tricks to make tighter bends
than what was standard but a think a hickey would have been able to
beat them...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/30/2016 4:44 AM, dpb wrote:

Well, the "large" is comparatively, it's a regional outfit of about 20
locations in KS/MO. They go by Stanion Wholesale Electric. Doesn't keep
them from being most unfriendly price-wise to anything OTC, though...

When returned to family farm, there were existing farm accounts at all
the businesses with which do routine business and none other than
Stanion and one other which had changed ownership gave any hassle at all
in just changing name on accounts from Dad...the latter did require a
minimal credit form but Stanion's required a commitment of a continuing
level of activity on a monthly basis that obviously as farm just
generally don't have ongoing activity. So, w/ the loss of Sunflower
Electric (the other, locally-owned formerly great location now seemingly
dealing only in very large commercial activity as the storefront is
closed entirely and the only activity I see is large reels of cable and
other materials in/out of the lot), they're the only distributor in town
of all things electric outside what the Ace Hardware and Meade Do-It
Best outlet have. They'll cover the ordinary household wiring for the
most part, but will have nothing industrially-sized...

But, I did just for grins go look and I see the current credit
application at the Stanion site no longer does have the additional
requirements and will accept a list of existing other commercial
accounts as their references...I guess maybe they've gotten enough other
"pushback" to back off some, it appears. I may just have to have
another go at it--the local Mr Goodwrench dealership just changed hands
as well and they've been quite unaccomodating in transferring existing
accounts, too, so I've got to go thru the same exercise there
again...mayhaps as well do two rather than just one I suppose if have to
update the list at all...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 8:04:40 AM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:

Nice find. They go for $20-30 new around here. And that is without
the handle. Handles are sold separately. Had to buy mine new (1/2 and
3/4 in). Just scrounged up the appropriate sized pipes for handles.

What you got is what we just called a bender in this area. A Hickey is a
slightly different animal. Nice little pdf file I found he

Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Definately a bender not a hickey.

I had a bender for 3/4 inch conduit, but have not seen it since moving to the East Coast. It was a genuine Sears model.

I try to make a pass thru the scrap yard at least once a week. Usually I find nothing, but sometimes I find something interesting.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-10-30, Leon Fisk wrote:

[ ... ]

What you got is what we just called a bender in this area. A Hickey is a
slightly different animal. Nice little pdf file I found he

https://www.quia.com/files/quia/user...onduit_Bending

It has a drawing on the first page of a regular EMT bender and a
Hickey. Brief description of usage. A lot of nice bending tips,
measurements too if you're new to this

Interesting. What the PDF calls a "bender" the electrician in
the lab where I used to work called a "hickey", so that is the term that
I have used. (And boy did he make it look easy. :-)

And that means that what I said I saw at Home Depot was what the
PDF file called a "bender", not a "hickey".

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Ha!

6 feet of romex. The friendly electrical supply house here will load your
vehicle up even if you're clearly not in the trade. The other places with
the shiny showrooms seem to be bothered by any sort of counter sale. They
also seem to have huge warehouses full of nothing as even simple stuff
doesn't seem to be in stock for some reason. I don't get it, but whatever.

Around 1990, I was building a TV station in Destin, Florida. There
was a branch of an electrical supply house that I used, back home. They
refused to sell to me. So, I smiled and said, "No problem. I'm going
home on Friday evening, so I'll by it at that branch. I'll also ask the
manager to contact corporate, to report you."

All of a sudden, a cash sale was OK. Then I discovered that they
only stocked Black White & Brown THHN in 14 AWG. I needed to replace a
damaged wiring harness of over 200 conductors, so it was real fun with
only three colors.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

[...]