Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing lock on a locked-open safe

Ignoramus2148 wrote:

A little followup. I got the job done and the safes are in my place.

The safe that is locked open is great and beautiful and changing the
combo should not be a problem. I just do not know how to do it, but
plenty of materials are available to learn.

I started opening one of the locked closed safes. I started with an
old black Diebold. Someone already tried to open it, but that person
did not understand how safes work.

Well, I have no idea how much such a safe would be worth. But, it seems
that opening a safe by just trying all combinations would not take terribly
long, if it is just a 3-number combination. (5 number safes would take
maybe 2500 times longer.) Some comments on this are in Richard Feynman's
book, which is a great read if you haven't read them.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-10-01, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus2148 wrote:

A little followup. I got the job done and the safes are in my place.

The safe that is locked open is great and beautiful and changing the
combo should not be a problem. I just do not know how to do it, but
plenty of materials are available to learn.

I started opening one of the locked closed safes. I started with an
old black Diebold. Someone already tried to open it, but that person
did not understand how safes work.

Well, I have no idea how much such a safe would be worth. But, it seems
that opening a safe by just trying all combinations would not take terribly
long, if it is just a 3-number combination. (5 number safes would take
maybe 2500 times longer.) Some comments on this are in Richard Feynman's
book, which is a great read if you haven't read them.

Both locked closed safes are, in my opinion, worth nothing. One is
already ruined as the hinges are cut off. Another is not lookin super
great and not worth a few hours of picking. Since we do not know how
to do it, it will take a long time.

Plus I want to practice safecracking, if feels vaguely exciting, like
riding a rollercoaster. I know that it is not illegal to break into
those safes, but it feels a bit like an adventure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 2, 2016, Ignoramus4179 wrote
(in ):

On 2016-10-01, Jon wrote:
Ignoramus2148 wrote:

[...]

Isnt it the most fun if you blow the safe with nitro, like in the good old
days of safecracking jobs?

Or at least a thermal lance?

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy
If I saw a locked safe with the hinges removed I would assume there
might be something of value inside. I would know that unlocking it was
dangerous because the very heavy unlocked door will fall out of the
safe. Take care!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-10-01, Jon wrote:
Ignoramus2148 wrote:

[...]

I am using an angle grinder and hand tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-10-02, wrote:
Iggy
If I saw a locked safe with the hinges removed I would assume there
might be something of value inside. I would know that unlocking it was
dangerous because the very heavy unlocked door will fall out of the
safe. Take care!

Good point. Look at this pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...81900.jpg.html

you will see that hinges are cut off on one side only. It is a bit
safer, the door with the lock will not fall.

It was a safe in their workshop, not the office, so I am hoping that
it may hold some expensive consumables like sewing needles or some
such. (it was a clothes sewing company)

We all know, of course, that cutting hinges off any half decent
fireproof safe will not open the doors.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-10-02, wrote:
Iggy
If I saw a locked safe with the hinges removed I would assume there
might be something of value inside. I would know that unlocking it was
dangerous because the very heavy unlocked door will fall out of the
safe. Take care!

Good point. Look at this pictu

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...81900.jpg.html

you will see that hinges are cut off on one side only. It is a bit
safer, the door with the lock will not fall.

It was a safe in their workshop, not the office, so I am hoping that
it may hold some expensive consumables like sewing needles or some
such. (it was a clothes sewing company)

We all know, of course, that cutting hinges off any half decent
fireproof safe will not open the doors.

It's a shame it can't be used. A machinist I used to know kept all his
expensive tooling such as gear shaping cutters, hobs, and broaches in a
similar fire safe so in the event of a fire they wouldn't be damaged. An
old boss of mine kept some company hard drives in a fire safe but he
didn't know the difference between a fire safe and a data safe, a fire
safe is good for paper material but a data safe has to keep the digital
media at a much lower maximum temperature, IIRC below 40C for at least
an hour.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/02/2016 1:57 PM, David Billington wrote:

It's a shame it can't be used. A machinist I used to know kept all his
expensive tooling such as gear shaping cutters, hobs, and broaches in a
similar fire safe so in the event of a fire they wouldn't be damaged. ...

They're also very useful in shop for fire safe for combustibles.

Got the missing hinges, Iggy? Once in it, I'd surely be tempted to keep
it around for such misc. uses.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Oct 2016 13:28:17 -0500, Ignoramus4179
wrote:

https://www.machinerymoverschicago.c...81900.jpg.html

Hope they found their keys

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Oct 2016 09:53:29 -0500, Ignoramus4179
wrote:

Both locked closed safes are, in my opinion, worth nothing. One is
already ruined as the hinges are cut off. Another is not lookin super
great and not worth a few hours of picking. Since we do not know how
to do it, it will take a long time.

picking a good combination safe is for all practical purposes
impossible. When I worked for the government I got them to buy me a
mail order locksmith course. Excellent course. started a lifelong
interest in locksmithing.

Quality locks arrange things so the cam doesn't ride on the wheels. IT
drops only when you turn the handle. In that case the wheels have
false notches to foil picking.

The professional method is to drill at a certain point and remove the
hinge pin from the follower. A certified 'smith can buy a book
containing drill location templates for hundreds of different types of
safes.

Plus I want to practice safecracking, if feels vaguely exciting, like
riding a rollercoaster. I know that it is not illegal to break into
those safes, but it feels a bit like an adventure.

One thing to be aware of is that a number of people who keep
especially valuable things in their safes load it with a pyrotechnic,
usually a pound of black powder in a silk bag. This is aimed at
giving the brute force crackers a little surprise.

John

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com
Tellico Plains, Occupied TN
See website for email address

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dad told of going to the state fair when a young man and one exhibit
had a big safe that was opened in reverse. :-)

A soldering fire was started inside and the door was closed.

The fire consumed all of the oxygen in the air and the save imploded.

Just a thought. I think the save was shambles but good items inside
would be ok.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They actually forgot all their company keys in a drawer of a
locked-open safe. I found them upon the safe arrival to my place.

I emailed them. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 02 Oct 2016 22:44:36 -0500, Ignoramus4179
wrote:

They actually forgot all their company keys in a drawer of a
locked-open safe. I found them upon the safe arrival to my place.

I emailed them. ;-)

(Grin)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

They actually forgot all their company keys in a drawer of a
locked-open safe. I found them upon the safe arrival to my place.

I emailed them. ;-)

I hope you included the profile so they can know which new blanks to
file down.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

assume a perfect vacuum and air-tight safe. Neither achievable.
Atmospheric pressure of 14.7PSI at sea level would not crush a safe.

Simply a side show gimmick, done probably with heavy aluminum or maybe
steel foil.

John

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-10-01, Jon wrote:
Ignoramus2148 wrote:

[...]

Killjoy. We wanted a video, from a safe distance.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-10-01, Jon wrote:
Ignoramus2148 wrote:

[...]

I guess we'll have to place requests to FPSRussia, instead.
HE will make a party of it, guaranteed.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fpsrussia

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaw!

--
All of us want to do well. But if we do not do
good, too, then doing well will never be enough.