Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hazmat fees when buying supplies

Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

Randy
Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 09:02:04 -0400, Randy333
wrote:

Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

I last bought that at the local Fields Home Center, an Ace Hardware
affiliate , and there was no extra fee. Oregon likes fees, too, and I
thought California had been overregulated... Where are you located?

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

Definitely give that a try, but if it's coded into their database,
they won't be able to nix it for you.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-27, Randy333 wrote:
Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

Some businesspeople love to add "fees" on top of "prices", as it makes
them feel that customers will not notice the "fees". Treat the fee as
price and shop for lowest price on comparable products. I generally
agree with your indignation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/27/2016 8:02 AM, Randy333 wrote:
Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

It's that or charge higher prices to cover associated costs of doing
business; the number of reg's and compliance issues has skyrocketed so
there is a real cost to doing business.

Whether an individual product is/isn't necessarily the hazard, it's a
general overhead.

As a personal preference on the consumer side, I'd just as soon have the
fee buried in the price quoted, but it's a business decision each has to
make as to how they want to price product/services.

My general observation has been the larger the business, the more likely
to have the separate fee structure. And yes, many (but certainly not
all) online suppliers have similar structures. Then, of course, w/
online purchases you run into the issue that the shipper may also have a
HAZMAT fee even if the vendor themselves doesn't so by the time you're
done "you can pay me now or pay me later" by swapping lower product cost
online with higher shipping cost against the higher local cost including
fee so it may end up as nearly a wash, anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 09:02:04 -0400, Randy333 wrote:

Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

Hazmat on shipping, or because it's for scary processes that melt metal,
or what?

If it was on shipping, and you're in the US, then it was bunk. If it was
retail, then as others have mentioned it probably varies by state. It's
been a couple of years since I've bought welding rod, but I haven't been
hit by such, and I live in Oregon, where sometimes the motto seems to be
"we're not like that right-winged California place".

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 12:42:08 -0500, Ignoramus18005

On 2016-09-27, Randy333 wrote:
Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

Some businesspeople love to add "fees" on top of "prices", as it makes
them feel that customers will not notice the "fees". Treat the fee as
price and shop for lowest price on comparable products. I generally
agree with your indignation.

Ditto, and I almost immediately start shopping elsewhere (when
possible) when those fees start suddenly appearing.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 16:12:59 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 09:02:04 -0400, Randy333 wrote:

Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

Hazmat on shipping, or because it's for scary processes that melt metal,
or what?

If it was on shipping, and you're in the US, then it was bunk. If it was
retail, then as others have mentioned it probably varies by state. It's
been a couple of years since I've bought welding rod, but I haven't been
hit by such, and I live in Oregon, where sometimes the motto seems to be
"we're not like that right-winged California place".

While they deny their entirely LEFTIST doctrine... Actually, most of
Oregon is conservative. Only the two largest (unfortunately) cities
are pure Left, Portland & Salem, and that swings us blue. Arrrrrgh!
Down here, I think 90% of us are ex-pat Californicators.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/27/2016 4:12 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

Hazmat on shipping, or because it's for scary processes that melt metal,
or what?

If it was on shipping, and you're in the US, then it was bunk. If it was
retail, then as others have mentioned it probably varies by state. ...

It's totally up to the retailer/shipper; there are no mandated such
fees; only as noted earlier that there are so many rules/regs now that
apply that many have started to simply charge another separate overhead
charge to cover that part of their doing business.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Any way around these stupid fees? I got a $5.00 fee on some TIG
welding rod. Cut me a break, it's just copper plated steel.

I last bought that at the local Fields Home Center, an Ace Hardware
affiliate , and there was no extra fee. Oregon likes fees, too, and I
thought California had been overregulated... Where are you located?

Do online suppliers pull this crap? Maybe if I threaten to buy all my
stuff online I can get these local guys to leave off the fees.

Definitely give that a try, but if it's coded into their database,
they won't be able to nix it for you.

I am in Pennsylvania. Looked online and all the prices I can get are
higher even after the hazmat fee is added in.

This is like my garbage company, they put in a $100 plus fee for "fuel
surcharge". started when diesel hit $4 back when. They keep the fee
in, even now. Called around, and the other garbage guys were more
expensive then my guy with the ridiculous fee. (I get billed yearly,
it's not part of my city taxes.)

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---