Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default fake air compressor aftercooler?

I broke the aftercooler off of my air compressor the other day. It's a 20cfm import aluminum pump with a cast iron jug. While contemplating fixes I thought about the usefulness of this aftercooler. The point of the aftercooler is to condense moisture out of the air and keep it out of the tank. The way this is designed, the moisture (even if it had the capacity to condense any moisture which I doubt) has no where to go. Any moisture trapped in the first bend would eventually turn back into vapor and make it to the tank. I think this aftercooler is just there for looks. It's just to make the compressor seem more valuable to uneducated buyers (which I guess I was). Opinions?

Link to aftercooler image...

http://imgur.com/a/nGuWm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 14:48:33 -0700, freak wrote:

I broke the aftercooler off of my air compressor the other day. It's a
20cfm import aluminum pump with a cast iron jug. While contemplating
fixes I thought about the usefulness of this aftercooler. The point of
the aftercooler is to condense moisture out of the air and keep it out
of the tank. The way this is designed, the moisture (even if it had the
capacity to condense any moisture which I doubt) has no where to go.
Any moisture trapped in the first bend would eventually turn back into
vapor and make it to the tank. I think this aftercooler is just there
for looks. It's just to make the compressor seem more valuable to
uneducated buyers (which I guess I was). Opinions?

Link to aftercooler image...

http://imgur.com/a/nGuWm

An INTERcooler is useful in a two stage compressor. By getting rid of
some of the heat of compression allows the 2nd stage to do more work.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 6:14:31 PM UTC-4, Pete Keillor wrote:
[...]

Nice point... but this is the aftercooler.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 14:48:33 -0700 (PDT), freak
wrote:

I broke the aftercooler off of my air compressor the other day. It's a 20cfm import aluminum pump with a cast iron jug. While contemplating fixes I thought about the usefulness of this aftercooler. The point of the aftercooler is to condense moisture out of the air and keep it out of the tank. The way this is designed, the moisture (even if it had the capacity to condense any moisture which I doubt) has no where to go. Any moisture trapped in the first bend would eventually turn back into vapor and make it to the tank. I think this aftercooler is just there for looks. It's just to make the compressor seem more valuable to uneducated buyers (which I guess I was). Opinions?

Link to aftercooler image...

http://imgur.com/a/nGuWm

They actually do chill the air enough to condense the water. How well
that piece of crap ....er...compressor does it...remains to be seen.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 3:38:35 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

You missed the point gunner... say it removes moisture with great efficiency,.. Where is the moisture going to go? It can only go to the tank. So the aftercooler is pointless IMHO.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:21:18 -0700 (PDT), freak
wrote:

[...]

Don't spendy units auto-drain after the compressor tops off? (or have
dual purpose unloaders) Or do they have reservoirs where the collected
moisture is retained? If not, why not? (Entrepreneurs, make your
million here!)

For the recent fishermen, here's a laugh:
http://newatlas.com/melloship-hammock-boat/45625/

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 6:26:48 PM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Sure... I have an auto drain on mine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes..it condenses and runs into the tank. Which you are supposed to
drain every now and then. In some places..daily.

Sure beats having that water IN the air and headed for your paint
gun...no?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

BINGO!

And hot air in the tank might just take some water out of the tank and
carry it along for the ride.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---