Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Retired!

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/12/2016 12:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 14:18:05 -0700, Rudy Canoza
wrote:

On 9/12/2016 12:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

Trout fishing for the next few days, in PA. Then bluefish, in NJ. And,
if they're biting, false albacore. I haven't checked to see if they're
in. They are the ultimate fly-fishing trip, to me.

I'vs been fly fishing since I was 7. Yes, I build fly rods and other
rods. That's most of what I do with my South Bend lathe these days.
But you don't need a lathe unless you're a real scratch-builder.

Send me a note to my real email address (the one above, but without
the "3") and I'll send you a few photos of my favorite home-built fly
rod, which I built from scratch around 10 years ago.

I'll be out of here after tonight, though, for at least a week.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

Retirement sounds like a wonderful concept, hopefully some day I, too, will
get to experience it! Enjoy!!!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:22:33 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

Retirement sounds like a wonderful concept, hopefully some day I, too, will
get to experience it! Enjoy!!!

Jon

Thanks, Jon. Actually, I'll probably start writing again in a few
weeks. I don't like the looks of what happens to my friends when they
retire.

I'm just not going to work on somebody else's schedule again.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rudy Canoza" wrote in message
On 9/12/2016 12:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

The most hard corp fly angler I know has got to be John Lindsey. He has an
IGFA world record or two under his belt as well (line class). He wrote a
nice book on chasing big bass on the fly recently. I've read about half of
it and its pretty entertaining. Might be a good guy to chat with if you are
serious about getting into the whole fly fishing lifestyle. He posts on
Tackle Underground and on my fishing site (www.yumabassman.com) as
bassrecord. If you just want to read a good book he self published it and
sells them here. http://www.bigbassflyfishing.com/

And now back to metal working. I am making brass adaptors from some generic
Chinese thread to NPT threads today. The Chinese thread just seems like a
sloppy M6-1. Weird. They didn't leak though. I'm making them with clamped
o-ring seals wherever my stuff comes together. One of my new machines is
not oiling the Z axis ball nut, so I am plugging the hole where the line
comes out of the Z carriage assembly and routing a line directly from the
oil distribution manifold. So far I have only had to make two adaptors and
a plug.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 3:39:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

--
Ed Huntress

I am in the midst of building a boat myself. It is for my grandson. It is in three sections so it can be taken apart and put in his fathers hatchback.

Somewhere around here they import fruit juice from South America. They ship it in big plywood boxes about 43 inches cubed with a plastic blatter inside the box. So a guy on Craigslist is selling the plywood pieces. 1 cm plywood 45 inches by 45 inches is $3. It is a bit thicker than I would have liked, but the price is right. Planing on stitch and glue construction. Now need to find some low priced epoxy. Already have the fiberglass tape.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:39:29 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough.

Congrats!

So I went fishing this
weekend

What a coincidence! I just bought a rod and reel... with which to
amuse my cat.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

Hope you have a good time.

I just got back from a long motorcycle ride. Fantastic scenery,
including some rivers that looked like fly fishing paradise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 5:18:08 PM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

I bought a book on making fishing rods by Dale Clemens and gave it to my grandson last Christmas. But he is not much of a DIY kid. Fortunately the book was from Abe and cost less than $5. I recommend the book. I learned about Dale from a guy that was the production manager for Fenwick at the time.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:30:10 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 5:18:08 PM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

I bought a book on making fishing rods by Dale Clemens and gave it to my grandson last Christmas. But he is not much of a DIY kid. Fortunately the book was from Abe and cost less than $5. I recommend the book. I learned about Dale from a guy that was the production manager for Fenwick at the time.

Dan

I have three of Clemens' books, and four flyrods I built on Clemens
blanks. He's very good, but much more than you need to build your
first rod. You can get plenty of info online.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

**************

..393 vs .250

Thats going to be a bit on the heavy side, and take some muscle to wrap
around for the hull, but its doable. .25 Luan plywood seems to be the skin
of choice for a lot of small boats. That extra 1/8+ is going to add up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:21:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

That sounds interesting. There are two-piece boat designs around, but
I've never seen a three-piece. Phil Bolger designed a pretty long
schooner-rigged sailboat in two pieces.

I'm building a real minimalist boat -- the 7'9" Nymph pram, also
designed by Bolger. It's stitch-and-glue and real easy. You can see it
in Dynamite Payson's _Build The New Instant Boats_.

It's a car-topper rowboat that I can get up and down by myself; it
weighs 60 lb or maybe a little less if I decide to go for the
high-class imported plywood. It's mostly for pickerel fishing in the
ponds and cranberry bogs in the South Jersey Pine Barrens, and I may
use it in the tidal creeks that run into the NJ bays.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough.

Congrats!

Thanks. I'll tell you if it was a good idea in a few months. d8-)

So I went fishing this
weekend

What a coincidence! I just bought a rod and reel... with which to
amuse my cat.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

Hope you have a good time.

I just got back from a long motorcycle ride. Fantastic scenery,
including some rivers that looked like fly fishing paradise.

Sounds nice. What part of the country is that?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-12, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:58:14 -0500, Ignoramus7822

On 2016-09-12, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!

g Thanks, me too!

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7822 wrote:

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!

Actually, that time period is a concern. A BBC article says: "... in some jobs, average life expectancy after retirement is just 18 months". Here's the website:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:07:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Ignoramus7822 wrote:

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!

Actually, that time period is a concern. A BBC article says: "... in some jobs, average life expectancy after retirement is just 18 months". Here's the website:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037

Gee, thanks for the encouragement, Bruce. g

Seriously, I would be worried about hard-core retirement. But I don't
think I'll ever stop my writing work. I'm just severing all
connections with deadlines, employment, and related things. I think
that just stopping work itself is a good way to make yourself age
faster.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 00:11:59 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Seriously, I would be worried about hard-core retirement. But I don't
think I'll ever stop my writing work. I'm just severing all
connections with deadlines, employment, and related things. I think
that just stopping work itself is a good way to make yourself age
faster.

You are absolutely right Ed. There was one guy at work who had
no outside interests, not even sport. He retired and 2 months
later was dead.

I took early retirement in October 95, nearly 21 years now, and
have never regretted it. Interests : woodworking, woodturning,
metalwork, model trains & reading. My library is somewhere close to
1500 books, 2 more due today and another 3 in the post.

Best wishes for your retirement --- keep yourself busy.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus7822 wrote:

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!

Actually, that time period is a concern. A BBC article says: "... in some jobs, average life expectancy after retirement is just 18 months". Here's the website:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037

Gee, thanks for the encouragement, Bruce. g

I didn't mean it like that. I'm just not that good with camaraderie.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-12, Rudy Canoza wrote:
On 9/12/2016 12:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Congratulations on retiring.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

[ ... ]

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

A friend, who recently retired also, and moved to somewhere in
Michigan (if I remember right) makes fly rods from bamboo, and even took
the time to design and build a CNC machine for cutting the taper of the
sections from split bamboo. Apparently, people pay him quite a bit for
the rods, so they must be pretty good.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/12/2016 5:30 PM, wrote:
On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 5:18:08 PM UTC-4, Rudy Canoza wrote:

What kind of fishing? My son and I are thinking of getting into fly
fishing. I'd like to look into building my own fly rod. Ever done that?

I bought a book on making fishing rods by Dale Clemens and gave it to my grandson last Christmas. But he is not much of a DIY kid. Fortunately the book was from Abe and cost less than $5. I recommend the book. I learned about Dale from a guy that was the production manager for Fenwick at the time.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not terribly much a DIY guy, but
I've learned to do a few things, and I don't mind a little bit of
failure if I can learn from it and eventually get what I want. One of
my last projects was really an exercise in frustration that ultimately
ended with a big partial success but a particularly ass-chapping bit of
failure. I wanted to make a pull-up bar for my son and me. I had been
looking for something to bolt to either a wall or an exposed beam I have
on the back patio, or possibly to attach to a couple of redwood 4x4 set
into the yard, but I didn't see anything that I liked or that I thought
would work. All of a sudden, after looking at a couple of DIY pages for
pull-up bars, I had a flash of inspiration. I bought two 3/4" floor
flanges, two 12" nipples, two elbows, and one 3' length, all in black
pipe. I assembled them into a wide flat "U" shape, with the flanges on
the ends of the nipples, had my son help me hold it up to the bottom of
a 4"x8" wood beam so I could mark where to drill the holes, and then I
drilled pilot holes for the screws into the bottom of the beam. With
four screw holes on each flange, I bought eight #14 screws, 2-1/2"
length. This is where things began to go wrong. I bought the screws at
Home Depot, and of course they're from China.

With a combination of tools, I managed to drive four screws to hold one
of the flanges to the beam. On the second flange, I successfully drove
three of the screws. On the fourth screw on the second flange, the
screw broke about one inch from the head just as the screw head was
about to make contact with the flange. I bought a screw extractor and
attempted to get the broken screw out, but I couldn't drill into the
piece of the screw embedded in the beam - the shaft was over an inch
into the beam.

I rotated the flange 45 degrees and started over. Same thing: three
screws successfully driven to hold the flange tight to the beam, fourth
screw broke...at exactly the same depth (about 1".) I bought a couple
of plastic tubular spacers to try to drill into the screw shaft so I
could get a screw extractor into the shaft, but it ultimately failed. I
now have four screws holding one flange, and three holding the other.
I'm not very heavy - a little over 150 lb. - and my son is lighter, and
I don't hear any noise from the three-screw flange like the screws are
pulling free, so it appears to be okay, but it still chaps my ass that
Home Depot sells ****ty stuff. How hard can it be for a screw and bolt
manufacturer to make *steel* screws that will screw into wood - *with*
properly sized pilot holes, for christall****ingmighty - without the
screw shaft breaking?

The lesson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough.

Congrats!

Thanks. I'll tell you if it was a good idea in a few months. d8-)

Work is work, and there's a reason we have to be paid to do any (much)
of it for someone else. But your work sounded like something you really
enjoyed, and it always seemed to me you had a lot of control over the
amount and pace of it. You're still under age 70, seem to have taken
good care of yourself and be in relatively good health, so what made you
pull the plug?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-12, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!

g Thanks, me too!

Every right-thinking person hopes you enjoy it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13/09/2016 5:39 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend

The worst day fishing beats the best day working.
But I guess that doesn't apply anymore, eh?
Enjoy!

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13-Sep-16 3:39 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

Enjoy! I'm sure you will be back here sooner than you think.

Thanks for the useful advice you've given here over the years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus7822 wrote:

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!

Actually, that time period is a concern. A BBC article says: "... in some jobs, average life expectancy after retirement is just 18 months". Here's the website:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037

Gee, thanks for the encouragement, Bruce. g

I didn't mean it like that. I'm just not that good with camaraderie.

g I was joking. I didn't take it like that.

And now, I'm out the door. I'll try to stop in between fishing trips.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough.

Congrats!

Thanks. I'll tell you if it was a good idea in a few months. d8-)

Work is work, and there's a reason we have to be paid to do any (much)
of it for someone else. But your work sounded like something you really
enjoyed, and it always seemed to me you had a lot of control over the
amount and pace of it. You're still under age 70, seem to have taken
good care of yourself and be in relatively good health, so what made you
pull the plug?

I'm rushing out the door here, so this is not well thought out, but
the short story is that it was becoming too frustrating. I have an
editorial vision and the world was going somewhere else.

Or my publisher was. Or publishing is. It will take some time and
distance for me to have an accurate view of it.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13 Sep 2016 04:46:03 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

On 2016-09-12, Rudy Canoza wrote:
[...]

Well, a Carmichael bamboo rod brings something like $3,000 or more, so
there is some money in it. But building rods in bamboo is like making
guitars, if not violins. The level of craft is on a similar order.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Seriously, I would be worried about hard-core retirement. But I
don't
think I'll ever stop my writing work. I'm just severing all
connections with deadlines, employment, and related things. I think
that just stopping work itself is a good way to make yourself age
faster.
--
Ed Huntress

I'm still busy from 6AM to 10PM, now for a boss who knows all my
excuses. The difference is that I need more frequent breaks and a few
little naps. I help my retired neighbors with repairs and outdoor
tasks, in return for which I got enough leftover loam to fix my lawn.

One of yesterday's projects was running the Harbor Freight inverter
generator after 3 months idle. I drained and filtered the oil after 9
hours running time and found only a couple of shiny particles on the
paper and nothing in the screen cup.

It helps to have a funnel like this to put the oil back in:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Q...unnel/19888803

A conical spout cap gives enough access to top off the oil from a
quart bottle. Mine came from Fisher Plow oil bottles, after I rewired
a neighbor's plow.

I've started storing oil funnels and pouring spouts in plastic bags to
keep them from collecting dust that will get into the engine.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 07:42:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .

Seriously, I would be worried about hard-core retirement. But I
don't
think I'll ever stop my writing work. I'm just severing all
connections with deadlines, employment, and related things. I think
that just stopping work itself is a good way to make yourself age
faster.
--
Ed Huntress

I'm still busy from 6AM to 10PM, now for a boss who knows all my
excuses. The difference is that I need more frequent breaks and a few
little naps. I help my retired neighbors with repairs and outdoor
tasks, in return for which I got enough leftover loam to fix my lawn.

Ah, one of life's little treasures, to a Murrican Male. I never
understood that part, having ripped out my ugly lawn and opted for
chips. Now I have another mound of dirt out there, waiting to be
tilled together with some compost and planted with perennial flowers
and such.

One of yesterday's projects was running the Harbor Freight inverter
generator after 3 months idle. I drained and filtered the oil after 9
hours running time and found only a couple of shiny particles on the
paper and nothing in the screen cup.

Bueno.

It helps to have a funnel like this to put the oil back in:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Q...unnel/19888803

I use one of HFT's top models, an old ATF funnel.

A conical spout cap gives enough access to top off the oil from a
quart bottle. Mine came from Fisher Plow oil bottles, after I rewired
a neighbor's plow.

I saved a conical tip from an old gear lube jug and use it when it
fits the new bottle of oil. A 9" length of vinyl tubing jammed over
the tip helps guide oil into deeper crevices and dark places.

I've started storing oil funnels and pouring spouts in plastic bags to
keep them from collecting dust that will get into the engine.

A worthy venture. I keep mine filled with rags for the same reason.
My older screen-printed handyman tees are providing many new rags
these days.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 12:34:11 AM UTC-4, Alan wrote:

You are absolutely right Ed. There was one guy at work who had
no outside interests, not even sport. He retired and 2 months
later was dead.

I took early retirement in October 95, nearly 21 years now, and
have never regretted it.
Alan

There seems to be two types of retirees. Those that can't figure out what to do, and those that can't figure out how they managed to find time for work.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 9:14:10 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

.393 vs .250

Thats going to be a bit on the heavy side, and take some muscle to wrap
around for the hull, but its doable. .25 Luan plywood seems to be the skin
of choice for a lot of small boats. That extra 1/8+ is going to add up.

It will be heavier than I would like. But the price was right and should be fine after it is in the water. If the weight is a big problem , can always build another lighter one.

I have a 10 foot john boat that I can haul around in my pickup. So no problem here, but my grandson in in upstate New York and does not have access to a pickup.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There seems to be two types of retirees. Those that can't figure
out what to do, and those that can't figure out how they managed
to find time for work.

I'm nowhere near that age, but its clear that one type realizes "health is wealth" and the other spends all their time in and out of houses of ill repute (like McDonald's packing away the junk food).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A bad day of fishin' is better than a good day at the office.
We had fresh-caught fish for supper last night, as we often do.
We spend most of the summer going fishin' at least once each day.

I find 'em, we catch 'em, I clean 'em, she cooks 'em, we eat 'em. Yum!

Happy retirement!

wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough. So I went fishing this
weekend -- and I see that a lot of people here spent this nice weekend
blowing smoke at each other.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a few days of .... more fishing. Then I'm
going somewhere else. I won't be back for a long while.

So, enjoy yourselves. I'll be finding better ways to use my time. I
have a small boat to build before it gets cold. Hasta luego!

(if anyone wants to reach me, delete the "3" from my phony email
address above)

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus7822 wrote:

Awesome! I hope that you enjoy your retirement for a long time!

Actually, that time period is a concern. A BBC article says: "... in some jobs, average life expectancy after retirement is just 18 months". Here's the website:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-18952037

True indeed.

I hope Ed stays alive for a very long time.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016 08:55:55 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I hope Ed stays alive for a very long time.

No, you don't.

What's it like to claim that so many people are stupid and past their
cull date, and then watch them get so far ahead of you?

Hey Wieber, when are YOU going to retire? Oh right, first you need to
get a job and learn how to earn a living. Tick tock. LOL

Exactly when did you give up after realizing that you couldn't do the
simple things that normal people do? Was it before or after you
started posting all the crazy Walter Mitty nonsense?

What email? Don't know how to remove moronic information from your
posts? What else is new?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, I retired on Friday. 'Finally had enough.

Congrats!

Thanks. I'll tell you if it was a good idea in a few months. d8-)

Work is work, and there's a reason we have to be paid to do any (much)
of it for someone else. But your work sounded like something you really
enjoyed, and it always seemed to me you had a lot of control over the
amount and pace of it. You're still under age 70, seem to have taken
good care of yourself and be in relatively good health, so what made you
pull the plug?

I'm rushing out the door here, so this is not well thought out, but
the short story is that it was becoming too frustrating. I have an
editorial vision and the world was going somewhere else.

Or my publisher was. Or publishing is. It will take some time and
distance for me to have an accurate view of it.

Oh, I completely get the type of frustration you're talking about. I've
gone through something similar over the last 15 or so years. I've
worked all my life in IT, and from 1983 until 2005 it was all as an
independent consultant/contractor. Most of the early days of that was
spent on installing and customizing commercial vendor-supplied ERP
packages, mainly in distributing and manufacturing, with some forays off
into insurance and health care. This was entirely on medium to large
IBM platforms. I probably caught most of the second half of the big
computerization wave in the U.S., when computers went from doing some
accounting and tabulating to becoming central to firms' core business
functions. The shift meant that what came to be known as IT (after
earlier being "the computer room" and then "data processing") stopped
being managed by the CFO and came to have its own senior executive.
Except for a short spell in the very early 1990s, I never lacked work.
As an independent contractor, I had a lot of control over my time, and I
got a lot of the hardest assignments, which I liked. There was one firm
where I spent most of a five year interval in the late 1990s, and near
the end of it, the CIO got dinged in an audit because she gave me too
much of the important stuff, and there was no "succession plan" if I got
run over by a truck or inherited a few million and stopped working.

It all changed quickly in the early 2000s. First, nearly every medium
to large firm that was going to acquire and customize an enterprise
package had already done so, and focus shifted to customer interfaces
rather than core enterprise functions. Second, Sarbanes-Oxley and other
onerous regulations came into place that mandated segregation-of-duties
and extremely cumbersome change management procedures; the change
management bull**** made it harder and harder to get things done.
Third, there was a huge wave of mergers and acquisitions, and a lot of
big companies that had needed a lot of IT work simply disappeared.
Finally, there was the surge of "off-shoring" that moved quite a lot of
IT work to India and elsewhere, and also the notoriously corrupt H-1B
visa debacle that put intense downward pressure on contract rates and
salaries. In the heyday, I could bill $75 and occasionally $85 an hour
for truly independent work, and I would get offers from contract brokers
for $65 an hour; by 2006, the brokers were offering in the $35-$40
range, sometimes less. I had to give up contracting in 2005 and take a
so-called "permanent" position, of which I have now had three.

Today, I work for a huge financial services company, heavily regulated,
and the work is tedious and hard to get done because of all the change
management and regulatory compliance hoops. They motivate the proles
with near-constant reminders that failure to comply with all the regs
can result in consequences "up to and including termination" - very
cheerful. I have to take numerous internal training sessions annually
in change management, incident management, anti-money laundering, risk
management, time tracking, "diversity and inclusion" (what bull****),
and more. The work is pure systems management - no more development.
There's really no challenge to it, or very little. It has become just a
paycheck.

I envy your situation where you feel you can retire. I can't - married
late, have a 15 year old son in private school, major expenses far out
onto the horizon (unless he can get a full-ride scholarship to a good
school.) If he can get his university education all or mostly paid by
someone else, I'll sell everything and get the hell out of the People's
Republic of California and go someplace where it's cheaper to live, and
maybe then I can cut back on work or at least not have to worry as much
about chasing the highest salary.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2016-09-12, Rudy Canoza wrote:
[...]

Maybe I'll aim a little lower to start ;-)