Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Acceptable Drill Press Runout?

replying to John Martin, Rob Lawrence wrote:
This. I get around 0.002 runout at full spindle extension on my jet drill
press at the drill bit shank, but the chuck itself wobbles visibly. While this
may not bode well for vibration, it wouldn't serve anything to measure runout
here by the key holes.
I get 0.002 at the spindle, and less than 0.001 at the arbor, which means, in
short that it's fine, or needs a new chuck that isn't made by Jet

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ut-116816-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-08, Rob Lawrence wrote:
replying to John Martin, Rob Lawrence wrote:
This. I get around 0.002 runout at full spindle extension on my jet drill
press at the drill bit shank, but the chuck itself wobbles visibly. While this
may not bode well for vibration, it wouldn't serve anything to measure runout
here by the key holes.
I get 0.002 at the spindle, and less than 0.001 at the arbor, which means, in
short that it's fine, or needs a new chuck that isn't made by Jet

The Jet drill chuck may have been a lot better when brand new,
but if you have ever had a drill bit spin in the chuck, it can deform
the jaws a little and increase the runout.

And -- is the arbor a permanent part of your drill press, or is
it a Morse taper arbor which you purchase to fit the drill chuck and the
spindle? I've seen both types, and prefer the latter. You can buy a
higher quality arbor if you need more precision -- assuming that the
socket in the spindle has little enough runout. (And, it does not take
much debris in the socket to make a very good arbor run out. :-)

Personally, I prefer the Albrecht keyless chucks which tend to
be very good when new and to hold up quite well afterwards.

And -- the acceptable runout varies with the size of the drill
bit. A #80 bit (0.0135" diameter) does not like pretty much any runout
that you can measure -- and even more so if it happens to be a solid
carbide bit of that size. :-) (And you can't hold that small a bit in a
1/2" drill chuck -- even one by Albrecht. But they make smaller ones
appropriate for smaller drill presses. I have a 1/8" Albrecht chuck on
my Cameron sensitive drill press.

The biggest problem with that small a bit in the 1/8" Albrecht
chuck is that it is hard to see to keep the bit centered while closing
the chuck -- and at that size, there is little feel. I rotate the
spindle by hand on the pulley on the top and look for wobble.

The one place where a keyless chuck like the Albrecht is *not* a
good idea is when you are using a left-handed bit to drill out a sheared
off screw -- and have a drill press which will run in reverse. (There
are special versions of the Albrecht chucks which have the ability to
lock once closed -- but of course that is not as convenient for common
use.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is it the chuck ? is it the taper the chuck uses to mount with -
dirty ? Or the bearings (bushings) warn ?

Check into the basics before you replace anything.

Lathe chucks can wobble if the mount isn't clean and the heal of the
chuck fits firmly against the lathe.

Dad had a chip of brass in a thread and the chuck on the lathe didn't
run true. Cleaning it with a scribe I found many chips inside the chuck
from a previous job.

Might be as simple as that.

Martin

On 9/8/2016 7:18 AM, Rob Lawrence wrote:
replying to John Martin, Rob Lawrence wrote:
This. I get around 0.002 runout at full spindle extension on my jet drill
press at the drill bit shank, but the chuck itself wobbles visibly.
While this
may not bode well for vibration, it wouldn't serve anything to measure
runout
here by the key holes.
I get 0.002 at the spindle, and less than 0.001 at the arbor, which
means, in
short that it's fine, or needs a new chuck that isn't made by Jet

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Sep 2016 12:18:03 +0000, Rob Lawrence
wrote:

replying to John Martin, Rob Lawrence wrote:
This. I get around 0.002 runout at full spindle extension on my jet drill
press at the drill bit shank, but the chuck itself wobbles visibly. While this
may not bode well for vibration, it wouldn't serve anything to measure runout
here by the key holes.
I get 0.002 at the spindle, and less than 0.001 at the arbor, which means, in
short that it's fine, or needs a new chuck that isn't made by Jet

Chicom chucks tend to not be of the best quality.....just saying....

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 5:39:48 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Chicom chucks tend to not be of the best quality.....just saying....

Kind of depends. I think that drill press manufacturers and bench grinder manufactures selling to the consumer market buy cheap chucks and grinding wheels. Because if they price their tool a bit higher to pay for a good chuck or wheel, most people will buy their competitors tool because it is cheaper. But if you go looking for just a chuck, you will find some good ones at reasonable prices.

MSC for instance sell a 1/2 inch ball bearing " Accupro " chuck for $133 and a 1/2 inch ball bearing Jacobs chuck for $163. I assume the " Accupro " chuck is made in the far east.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-10, wrote:
On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 5:39:48 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Chicom chucks tend to not be of the best quality.....just saying....

Kind of depends. I think that drill press manufacturers and bench
grinder manufactures selling to the consumer market buy cheap chucks and
grinding wheels. Because if they price their tool a bit higher to pay
for a good chuck or wheel, most people will buy their competitors tool
because it is cheaper. But if you go looking for just a chuck, you will
find some good ones at reasonable prices.

However, Jet tends to be on the better side of imported machine
tools. I've used a Jet 13x40 lathe and found it quite well made, and I
*own* a Jet 8" grinder, which had been sitting in the store window long
enough so the images and printing on the side facing the outside was
rather faded, but when turned on, it was well balanced, and took forever
to spin down when turned off. I did replace one wheel with a white one,
but the other is still the original and serving well.

MSC for instance sell a 1/2 inch ball bearing " Accupro " chuck for
$133 and a 1/2 inch ball bearing Jacobs chuck for $163. I assume the "
Accupro " chuck is made in the far east.

Likely so.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2016 16:37:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 5:39:48 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Chicom chucks tend to not be of the best quality.....just saying....

Kind of depends. I think that drill press manufacturers and bench grinder manufactures selling to the consumer market buy cheap chucks and grinding wheels. Because if they price their tool a bit higher to pay for a good chuck or wheel, most people will buy their competitors tool because it is cheaper. But if you go looking for just a chuck, you will find some good ones at reasonable prices.

MSC for instance sell a 1/2 inch ball bearing " Accupro " chuck for $133 and a 1/2 inch ball bearing Jacobs chuck for $163. I assume the " Accupro " chuck is made in the far east.

Dan

One can find GOOD Chinese tools. However they tend not to be the
ones OEM'd to drill presses from there. High end gear...damned fine
chucks. Same with Chinese lathes..low end...accessories tend to suck.
High end Chicom lathes...good accessories indeed.

You took me wrong. I dont condemn ALL chinese tools. Far from it. I
have a bunch of Peacock and other mid to high end Chicom tools. But
they do tend to ship drill presses with **** on the end of the
spindle.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 2:08:45 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

You took me wrong. I dont condemn ALL chinese tools. Far from it. I
have a bunch of Peacock and other mid to high end Chicom tools. But
they do tend to ship drill presses with **** on the end of the
spindle.

Gunner

I did not take you wrong, but did not think your post completely covered your beliefs.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-11, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 11 Sep 2016 01:18:11 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-09-10, wrote:

[ ... ]

However, Jet tends to be on the better side of imported machine

Are they? I heard their quality went to **** when they offshored to
China a decade or so ago. Maybe it's back up by now.

Well ... my experience with the Jet lathe was back around 1990
or so, so a decade ago is out of my experience there.

And -- as I said -- the Jet 8" grinder had been sitting in the
window long enough so the box was quite visibly faded -- and I got it
perhaps a decade ago. So I guess that my experience does not count with
what they currently save.

Of course, the toy lathes they (and others) sell are a different
matter anyway. But I remember reading that they did something which
other makers did not a while back. They turned off the original thread
on the spindle, heat-shrunk a collar on it, and cut the nosepiece
threads on that machine -- so unlike most of the others, at least the
spindle nose thread on those machines was something which the machine
*could* cut, making it possible to thread chuck backplates at need,
instead of having to buy one from the importer. (The other machines, and
presumably the Jets before their work) used a metric thread out of the
ability of the lathe in question -- at least with the supplied gears.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail