Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default B&S Engine starts but won't run

Briggs & Stratton one cylinder OHV Model 185432
Simpson Pressure Washer

Not used for 9 years.
Starts on first pull and runs as long as I keep spraying gas on the air filter.

Cleaned carburetor (blew with compressed air). Bowl was clean, carb seems spotless. Does not seem to be anything to take apart on this one-piece casting except for what seems to be an air jet accessible from the top.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Carb bowl always full. Needle float valve seems to be in very good condition.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 16:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

Briggs & Stratton one cylinder OHV Model 185432
Simpson Pressure Washer

Not used for 9 years.
Starts on first pull and runs as long as I keep spraying gas on the air filter.

Cleaned carburetor (blew with compressed air). Bowl was clean, carb seems spotless. Does not seem to be anything to take apart on this one-piece casting except for what seems to be an air jet accessible from the top.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Carb bowl always full. Needle float valve seems to be in very good condition.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Ivan Vegvary

The main jet in the bottom of the carb is plugged. 99.99%
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/28/2016 7:03 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Briggs & Stratton one cylinder OHV Model 185432 Simpson Pressure
Washer

Not used for 9 years. Starts on first pull and runs as long as I keep
spraying gas on the air filter.

Cleaned carburetor (blew with compressed air). Bowl was clean, carb
seems spotless. Does not seem to be anything to take apart on this
one-piece casting except for what seems to be an air jet accessible
from the top.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Carb bowl always full. Needle
float valve seems to be in very good condition.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Ivan Vegvary

My first thought is that it is gummed-up with varnish and other gasoline
products. There is a product called "Gumout" carb ceaner that has
worked well for me many times.
https://gumout.com/maintenance-aeros...choke-cleaner/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Briggs & Stratton one cylinder OHV Model 185432
Simpson Pressure Washer

Not used for 9 years.
Starts on first pull and runs as long as I keep spraying gas on the air filter.

Cleaned carburetor (blew with compressed air). Bowl was clean, carb seems spotless. Does not seem to be anything to take apart on this one-piece casting except for what seems to be an air jet accessible from the top.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Carb bowl always full. Needle float valve seems to be in very good condition.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Ivan Vegvary

Ive got (3) B&S engines with the same issues I need to also correct.
Ill be watching this thread with interest.

Pressure washer
5kw generator
Emglow air compressor

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Briggs & Stratton one cylinder OHV Model 185432
Simpson Pressure Washer

Not used for 9 years.
Starts on first pull and runs as long as I keep spraying gas on the air filter.

Cleaned carburetor (blew with compressed air). Bowl was clean, carb seems spotless. Does not seem to be anything to take apart on this one-piece casting except for what seems to be an air jet accessible from the top.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Carb bowl always full. Needle float valve seems to be in very good condition.

If there's gas in the bowl and it's not reaching the intake something is plugged,
whether you can see it or not.

If no better ideas come up I'd try dunking the casting (disassembled as far as it'll go) in a
pot of Pine-Sol on a hotplate outdoors. It's a fairly aggressive treatment, if you have access
to an ultrasonic cleaner that would be a good, cautious first step. Boiling Pine-Sol etches
zinc rather harshly, removing galvanizing from steel and leaving brass jets pink. It'll likely
do the same to zinc-based die casting alloys. A little etch might be ok, a lot is apt to be
destructive.

I used this method on carbs for a Suzuki SV650S and it cured a rough slow running problem very
neatly, at the cost of removing all the surface zinc on both jets and brackets.

hth,

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Briggs & Stratton one cylinder OHV Model 185432
Simpson Pressure Washer

Not used for 9 years.
Starts on first pull and runs as long as I keep spraying gas on the air filter.

Cleaned carburetor (blew with compressed air). Bowl was clean, carb seems spotless. Does not seem to be anything to take apart on this one-piece casting except for what seems to be an air jet accessible from the top.

Any ideas on what might be going on? Carb bowl always full. Needle float valve seems to be in very good condition.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Ivan Vegvary

Ive got (3) B&S engines with the same issues I need to also correct.
Ill be watching this thread with interest.

Pressure washer
5kw generator
Emglow air compressor

Get a 1 or 5 gal bucket ($25-$200) of Berryman's Carb Dip. Strip and
dip the carbs. Gumout works for gooey, but doesn't work at all for
hardened deposits. Ditto my fave carb cleaner, Berryman's B-12
Chemtool. It's great, but not good enough for hardened crap.
Hmm, looking at the SDS on both, I think the Greenies killed CarbDip.
Maybe the Chemtool is the better of the two now, and Gumout tried to
copy Chemtool.
https://www.berrymanproducts.com/ass...96-SDS-R01.pdf
https://www.berrymanproducts.com/ass...20-SDS-R01.pdf
http://schmeling.com/msds/gumout_carburator_cleaner.pdf

In any case, for you, Gunner, you'll likely have to import anything
which will actually work. The R O Kalifornia bans the good stuff.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

THANK YOU everybody.
Took off carb one more time thinking that the bowl fastener probably functions also as a gas inlet. (I've seen that before )
Wrong! But I found a tiny,tiny jet perpendicular to the gas flow that was plugged. A sewing needle and a hammer unclogged it, and the machine purrs rather nicely
Thank you for pointing me to 'supply' problem.
Ivan Vegvary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A dine wite. like used on tags, poked up the jet dets the jod
ctarted, then dode the fuel with B-12 or Sea Foam and run on choke
untill the jet clears.

Run ethanol free (generally premium) fuel - treated with SeaFoam
particularly for storage - and run the carb cry for long term storage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gonna sober up and figure out where your fingers go on the keys next
time? g

Run ethanol free (generally premium) fuel - treated with SeaFoam
particularly for storage - and run the carb cry for long term storage.

I haven't had any problems with short term storage over the winters
here in wet OR. I'm still using 2-y/o 2-stroke mix without any
problem. shrug I just shook up the jug and filled the (cracked)
tank on my sister's old Mantis and it started up once I took the oily
air filter off. What's a good replacement for a $9 piece of felt?
I picked up a new carb fuel filter + hoses + spark plug for $18.
Now to clean up the 3 old weed eater carbs and sell the eaters.
After looking at those SDSes, I'm opting for the B-12. What are you
using for parts cleaning nowadays? I've been away from that for 31
years now and the damned enviros raped the good cleaners in the
interim. Ever tried "green" mineral spirits? It won't even clean
spit off glass. And, much to my surprise, -plain- water works better
than Method environmentally safe household cleaners. It's crazy.
Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

So, SeaFoam works to extend gas lifetime? Have you had trouble with
ethanol gas? I mean, what kinds of trouble have you had?

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:02:49 -0400, wrote:

So, SeaFoam works to extend gas lifetime? Have you had trouble with
ethanol gas? I mean, what kinds of trouble have you had?

I've seen this:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/all-other...ned-jelly.html

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 15:28:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:02:49 -0400, wrote:

A fne wire. like used on tags, poked up the jet gets the job
started, then dose the fuel with B-12 or Sea Foam and run on choke
untill the jet clears.

How's that??
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 16:07:01 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

So, SeaFoam works to extend gas lifetime? Have you had trouble with
ethanol gas? I mean, what kinds of trouble have you had?

Greenies wherever there is any copper content - including brass jets.
Greenies plug jets. Hooch absorbs water too - when things cool off you
get phase separation - which leaves water in the bottom of the tank
and float bowl - which rusts out the tank or float bowl eventually -
and makes it hard to start the engine on the short term. Water doesn't
burn very well.. The hooch is hard on some fuel lines and gaskets too
- as well as diaphragms in "regulator" carbs.

I've run across more than one instance of every one of these - not on
MY equipment mind you - I stay clear of ethanol fuel for small engines
(and airplanes)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So, SeaFoam works to extend gas lifetime? Have you had trouble with
ethanol gas? I mean, what kinds of trouble have you had?

Greenies wherever there is any copper content - including brass jets.
Greenies plug jets. Hooch absorbs water too - when things cool off you
get phase separation - which leaves water in the bottom of the tank
and float bowl - which rusts out the tank or float bowl eventually -
and makes it hard to start the engine on the short term. Water doesn't
burn very well.. The hooch is hard on some fuel lines and gaskets too
- as well as diaphragms in "regulator" carbs.

I've run across more than one instance of every one of these - not on
MY equipment mind you - I stay clear of ethanol fuel for small engines
(and airplanes)

Its nearly impossible to find non-hooch gas here in California. None
close by, according to my research...close by being less than 100
miles. Is av gas hooched up too? There is a small airport here in
town...not sure if theywould want to sell 5 gallons though..into a gas
can.

Gunner

---

AvGas is hooch free, but has several times more lead than the old
Sunoco 260. Marinas usually have hooch free mid grade.. Any airport
with mo-gas for STC will be hooch free.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:...................

AvGas is hooch free, but has several times more lead than the old
Sunoco 260. Marinas usually have hooch free mid grade.. Any airport
with mo-gas for STC will be hooch free.

http://www.shell.com/business-custom...uel/avgas.html
The lead content will ruin your catalytic converter if you put it in a
car.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:30:55 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:37:03 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

wrote:

A fne wire. like used on tags, poked up the jet gets the job
started, then dose the fuel with B-12 or Sea Foam and run on choke
untill the jet clears.

How's that??

(Grin)

Much better!! Keyboard problem or did you mash a finger?

Gunner, who has mashed a finger once or twice, causing him to type
with a pencil eraser...slowly...

---

Typing in half-light on a keyboard with half the letters worn off and
a strange feel - with a couple of previously mashed pinkies thrown in.

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 20:29:53 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:02:49 -0400, wrote:

So, SeaFoam works to extend gas lifetime? Have you had trouble with
ethanol gas? I mean, what kinds of trouble have you had?

I've seen this:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/all-other...ned-jelly.html

Strange, wot? I've never seen anything like it in anything I've
rebuilt, and the count has to be over 50 through the years. Thin
slime from water/algae buildup in long-stored vehicles was the worst I
ran into.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So, SeaFoam works to extend gas lifetime? Have you had trouble with
ethanol gas? I mean, what kinds of trouble have you had?

Greenies wherever there is any copper content - including brass jets.
Greenies plug jets.

The Greenies I was referring to were the environmentalists whackos who
said that the nasty chemicals (which really -worked- to clean carbs)
were bad for the environment and made the (fellow Liberal employees of
the) gov't restrict them, hence all the ****ty cleaners we have
nowadays. It takes 5 gallons of the new crap (and several days of
work) to equal what 1/4 pint of the old 'bad' stuff could do in half
an hour (by itself), and the bad stuff was reusable ten times. sigh
I fail to see, to this day, anything Greenies have accomplished.

Hooch absorbs water too - when things cool off you
get phase separation - which leaves water in the bottom of the tank
and float bowl - which rusts out the tank or float bowl eventually -
and makes it hard to start the engine on the short term. Water doesn't
burn very well.. The hooch is hard on some fuel lines and gaskets too
- as well as diaphragms in "regulator" carbs.

I can imagine that. g being hard on gaskets/diaphragms,
everything nowadays is made with viton, which is impervious, designed
to withstand the chemical additives.

I've run across more than one instance of every one of these - not on
MY equipment mind you - I stay clear of ethanol fuel for small engines
(and airplanes)

I'd be a mite picky about my airplane fuel, too.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

When Oregon mandated oxygenated (ethanol) gas in 2004?, my gas mileage
went down 15%. If I have to burn 15% more gas when using 10% ethanol,
how can that -possibly- be better for the environment or the attempt
to stop importing foreign oil for fuel? Especially when ethanol has
been proven to consume more energy to create than it gives back?
I'd like to whup these idiots upside the haid, I would.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I just paid $2.39.9/gal for regular 10% ethanol gas.
Local sources of ethanol-free premium cost $4.69/gal.
For weed-eater use, that's not a big hardship. But since I have yet
to see any damage caused by regular gas, in any vehicle or implement,
I continue to use the cheaper stuff instead.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:02:49 -0400, wrote:

So, SeaFoam works to extend gas lifetime? Have you had trouble with
ethanol gas? I mean, what kinds of trouble have you had?

I've seen this:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/all-other...ned-jelly.html

Strange, wot? I've never seen anything like it in anything I've
rebuilt, and the count has to be over 50 through the years. Thin
slime from water/algae buildup in long-stored vehicles was the worst I
ran into.

I saw this jelled crap in the carbs of a Kaw 250 Ninja . Comes from
ethanol laced gas but i don't know why it does that other than age .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

When Oregon mandated oxygenated (ethanol) gas in 2004?, my gas
mileage
went down 15%. If I have to burn 15% more gas when using 10%
ethanol,
how can that -possibly- be better for the environment or the attempt
to stop importing foreign oil for fuel? Especially when ethanol has
been proven to consume more energy to create than it gives back?
I'd like to whup these idiots upside the haid, I would.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygenate

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 07:22:35 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:...................

AvGas is hooch free, but has several times more lead than the old
Sunoco 260. Marinas usually have hooch free mid grade.. Any airport
with mo-gas for STC will be hooch free.

http://www.shell.com/business-custom...uel/avgas.html
The lead content will ruin your catalytic converter if you put it in a
car.

When I worked for a Ford dealership in Vista in the '70s, a Pinto was
towed in which was said to be running poorly. The mechanic diagnosed a
plugged exhaust system. They had used leaded gas in the car for a
long while, until it would still start but could barely run off-idle.
When we ripped into the cat, we found the intake end of the honeycomb
to be fused nearly shut. That was a hoot. I still have the piece
around here somewhere.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 06:05:53 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I just paid $2.39.9/gal for regular 10% ethanol gas.
Local sources of ethanol-free premium cost $4.69/gal.
For weed-eater use, that's not a big hardship. But since I have yet
to see any damage caused by regular gas, in any vehicle or implement,
I continue to use the cheaper stuff instead.

It usually costs a bit more but there are places offering gas without
alcohol and not just premium stuff. Some are listed he

http://pure-gas.org/

Maybe you'll see something there close by to check out.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:09:51 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

When Oregon mandated oxygenated (ethanol) gas in 2004?, my gas
mileage
went down 15%. If I have to burn 15% more gas when using 10%
ethanol,
how can that -possibly- be better for the environment or the attempt
to stop importing foreign oil for fuel? Especially when ethanol has
been proven to consume more energy to create than it gives back?
I'd like to whup these idiots upside the haid, I would.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygenate

If you want ethanol-free gas, this is the list of stations that I see
recommended most often. Tell Larry that there is a huge number of them
in Oregon, and the most recent prices (last week) were running around
$3.69.

http://www.pure-gas.org/

NJ has only one ethanol-free dealer listed, and he's in the middle of
the freaking Pine Barrens. d8-(

I suspect, though, that they're missing a lot of marinas on the Jersey
Shore that sell it.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 07:22:35 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:...................

AvGas is hooch free, but has several times more lead than the old
Sunoco 260. Marinas usually have hooch free mid grade.. Any airport
with mo-gas for STC will be hooch free.

http://www.shell.com/business-custom...uel/avgas.html
The lead content will ruin your catalytic converter if you put it in a
car.

Who said anything about a car?? And the lead will foul the plugs and
muffler on small engines too - which is why I said what I said.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A fne wire. like used on tags, poked up the jet gets the job
started, then dose the fuel with B-12 or Sea Foam and run on choke
untill the jet clears.

How's that??

(Grin)

Much better!! Keyboard problem or did you mash a finger?

Gunner, who has mashed a finger once or twice, causing him to type
with a pencil eraser...slowly...

---

Typing in half-light on a keyboard with half the letters worn off and
a strange feel - with a couple of previously mashed pinkies thrown in.

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 06:05:53 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I just paid $2.39.9/gal for regular 10% ethanol gas.
Local sources of ethanol-free premium cost $4.69/gal.
For weed-eater use, that's not a big hardship. But since I have yet
to see any damage caused by regular gas, in any vehicle or implement,
I continue to use the cheaper stuff instead.

It usually costs a bit more but there are places offering gas without
alcohol and not just premium stuff. Some are listed he

http://pure-gas.org/

Maybe you'll see something there close by to check out.

We buy 90%+ of our gas at one place , and they have both regular and
premium w/o ethanol . They know what I'm going to buy when I pull up ,
premium non eth for the Harleys , regular non eth for the gas cans , cheap
stuff for the car and truck .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've got about 20 spares at the one customer site and a few extras
here at home too but they are all corded and this one is cordless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

When Oregon mandated oxygenated (ethanol) gas in 2004?, my gas
mileage
went down 15%. If I have to burn 15% more gas when using 10%
ethanol,
how can that -possibly- be better for the environment or the attempt
to stop importing foreign oil for fuel? Especially when ethanol has
been proven to consume more energy to create than it gives back?
I'd like to whup these idiots upside the haid, I would.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygenate

So, how do you reduce smog when using 15% more fuel? It's all PC
bull****. You add 10% ethanol to fuel and lose 15% fuel mileage, so
you're still down 5% PLUS you have to make and buy the ethanol.
Typical Algoreesque scheme, I tell ya.

This morning I found out that it was the Oregon Global Warming
Commission (what a farce) which caused us to be strapped with ethanol
infected gasoline.

Meanwhile, the corn going to make ethanol causes food prices to rise
and all the while, the gov't is giving corn and ethanol producers
windfall profits to make it.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

If you're losing 15% of your gas mileage with E10, something is
screwed up in your truck. Extensive testing shows around 3.7% average
loss with E10.

In fact, I think that a 15% loss with E10 is physically impossible,
but stoichiometry is not my thing.

If you want to see the results of some extensive testing with various
blends, including with small, "non-road" engines, here's a summary:

http://feerc.ornl.gov/pdfs/pub_int_b...t1_updated.pdf

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound of
epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken key
to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You should
have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad I
took typing in 9th grade.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:54:03 -0700, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

THANK YOU everybody.
Took off carb one more time thinking that the bowl fastener probably
functions also as a gas inlet. (I've seen that before )
Wrong! But I found a tiny,tiny jet perpendicular to the gas flow that
was plugged. A sewing needle and a hammer unclogged it, and the machine
purrs rather nicely Thank you for pointing me to 'supply' problem.
Ivan Vegvary

It's good to see the group getting on topic every once in a while.

There's an amazing amount of internal combustion engine diagnosis that
you can do if you just remember that fire needs fuel, air, and heat to
burn, and that an internal combustion engine without fire is just an air
pump.

Air needs to get in, fuel needs to get in, the air & fuel need to be
heated up to ignition temperature, it has to be able to work on the
piston, and then it has to be expelled before the cycle repeats. If one
of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!

[...]