Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default B&S Engine starts but won't run

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 20:45:17 -0400, clare wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 19:55:23 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:00:48 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 19:54:03 -0700, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

THANK YOU everybody.
Took off carb one more time thinking that the bowl fastener probably
functions also as a gas inlet. (I've seen that before )
Wrong! But I found a tiny,tiny jet perpendicular to the gas flow that
was plugged. A sewing needle and a hammer unclogged it, and the
machine purrs rather nicely Thank you for pointing me to 'supply'
problem. Ivan Vegvary

It's good to see the group getting on topic every once in a while.

There's an amazing amount of internal combustion engine diagnosis that
you can do if you just remember that fire needs fuel, air, and heat to
burn, and that an internal combustion engine without fire is just an
air pump.

Air needs to get in, fuel needs to get in, the air & fuel need to be
heated up to ignition temperature, it has to be able to work on the
piston, and then it has to be expelled before the cycle repeats. If
one of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

Right. Fuel, air, and a properly timed spark.

Not quite correct. You need fuel and air, comprssion and properly
timed spark

Erm, no. Not if the engine is old enough:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89tienne_Lenoir#Lenoir_engine

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

He no compression, no spark, working internal combustion engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs56Cii3kdg

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:27:52 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:16:02 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 20:45:17 -0400, wrote:

Right. Fuel, air, and a properly timed spark.
Not quite correct. You need fuel and air, comprssion and properly
timed spark

He no compression, no spark, working internal combustion engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs56Cii3kdg

An engineer at Segway had a model engine he'd built that drew in and
condensed the hot gases from an external flame to operate the piston.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_engine

--jsw

It looks like a really inefficient reinvention of the Newton steam engine.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 15:15:08 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:27:52 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:16:02 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 20:45:17 -0400, wrote:

Right. Fuel, air, and a properly timed spark.
Not quite correct. You need fuel and air, comprssion and properly
timed spark

He no compression, no spark, working internal combustion engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs56Cii3kdg

An engineer at Segway had a model engine he'd built that drew in and
condensed the hot gases from an external flame to operate the piston.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_engine

--jsw

It looks like a really inefficient reinvention of the Newton steam engine.

Newcomen. Yes, it's a hot-gas version of a similar idea from Newcomen,
the earliest practical steam engines.

A lot of the early engines were vacuum engines -- the earliest hot-air
Stirlings and steam Newomen engines were vacuum types.

It was a while before they could use pressure beyond atmospheric
without blowing their heads off. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 14:27:52 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:16:02 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 20:45:17 -0400, wrote:

Right. Fuel, air, and a properly timed spark.
Not quite correct. You need fuel and air, comprssion and properly
timed spark

He no compression, no spark, working internal combustion engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs56Cii3kdg

An engineer at Segway had a model engine he'd built that drew in and
condensed the hot gases from an external flame to operate the piston.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_engine

--jsw

It looks like a really inefficient reinvention of the Newton steam engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound of
epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken key
to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You should
have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad I
took typing in 9th grade.

Boys weren't allowed to take typing when I was in school, until my
senior year. I wasn't about to drop a shop class, to be in a hot
classroom with a 70+ year old screeching woman teacher. You could hear
her to both ends of that floor.

I was forced to take "keyboarding" as well as one quarter of "home
economics" Barely passed keyboarding but had no problems in home ec. My
Mom was one of the "Men should be able to cook and sew" people. She
taught me both long before that class.

Both were taught by a Mrs. Davidson, 60ish, short, and loved to use a
wooden ruler.....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The 1698 steam pump of Thomas Savery used both vacuum to pull water
into its chamber and pressure to force it up out of the mine, since it
had to be placed within about 25 feet of the water table.

http://www.egr.msu.edu/~lira/supp/steam/savery.htm
"The boiler would have needed to hold 35 psig pressure to raise water
80 feet- similar to the pressure in an automobile tire. It is likely
that this use of such pressure was a reason that the Savery pump had a
reputation for boiler explosions. Zealous operators undoubtedly
increased the boiler pressure to pump water upwards further, and thus
created some of the accidents by overpressurization."

The wrought iron of the time was forge-welded from small pieces and
was riddled with questionable seams, like a Damascus shotgun barrel.

Steam engineers including Watt avoided pressure for the next 100
years, until metalworking advances of the Industrial Revolution
finally permitted strong enough boiler construction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt_steam_engine
Despite the tea kettle tale,
"James Watt avoided the use of high pressure steam because of safety
concerns."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Trevithick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Evans
" Later in life Evans turned his attention to steam power, and built
the first high-pressure steam engine in the United States in 1801,
developing his design independently of Richard Trevithick, who built
the first in the world a year earlier."

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 09:51:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:33:27 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Then there was covering everything outdoors for predicted rain and
reinstalling the bedliner on my truck. I removed the bed a few days
ago to find the fuel filler hose leak, then spent a day trying to
track down a replacement for less than the dealer's $317, or
Amazon's
2 month delivery.

I'm still searching for gasoline-proof duct tape. Let me know if
you
hear of any. The last of my epoxy putty hardened up on me, so I
can't
fix any more mower gas tanks this decade. I might try this HFT
epoxy
http://tinyurl.com/hsbgugl If it works on HVLP poly jugs, it should
work on a gas tank.

I bought some self-fusing silicone tape to try, perhaps under
hose-clamped soda can sheet aluminum.

Sounds expensive. I'll be at HF some day soon and will try their
$1.99 epoxy. It's time for more of their leather gloves. The dad
blasted blackberry vines puncture double thicknesses of absolutely
_anything_ else. That's one of my main September tasks, to take down
the truckfull of berry vines.

The rest of this morning and part of the afternoon were spent trying
to backup and restore the hard drive with the mindless Win 10
version
of Seagate Disk Wizard, then giving up and removing it and
installing
the powerful and dangerous Win 7 version, and learning to use it.
Are
you sure you meant to delete and wipe the C: partition?

Has anyone ever found a decent backup software? Y'know, one where
the
media still works when you need it?

There are several programs that backup or clone a whole drive or
partition, including the OS partition while it's running. I've had
good luck with Apricorn's SATA Wire and EZ Gig IV:
https://www.apricorn.com/sata-wire-3.html
It needs a USB3 port for the increased current limit. Some laptop
drives pull more current than a USB2 port can supply.

It's time to get an updated computer with USB3 ports. My last
purchase was the Acer in 2009. I'm overdue.

Seagate and Western Digital offer repackaged Acronis for free, with
the stipulation that they must find a Seagate or WD drive in the
system to operate. A portable USB drive is good enough.

I redirect my user files to a second partition or drive to keep the
operating system clean. Then a single drag-and-drop Copy will back up
all my files to a USB drive folder named with today's date, like E:
\Backup_09_01_16.
http://notebooks.com/2011/05/18/how-...-in-windows-7/

The stuff Windows actively uses is on a second partition on the same
drive, so they stay together. Large program downloads, spreadsheets,
recorded TV etc are on a second drive. I'm using older, thicker
laptops that accept another 1 Terabyte hard drive in the CD bay and
USB3 on an ExpressCard, to back up to my external drives.

This is a good free program to rearrange the partitions on drives:
http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html
The changes you specify don't occur until you click "Apply". It can
also prepare a new or wiped drive for use, and test them for errors.

Yes, I've been using it ever since my ancient copy of Partition Magic
stopped working when Win7 came out. Wonderful.

When I want to test a new downloaded program I clone the operating
system to a spare drive and install and test it there before risking
it on the good system drive.

I always kept the old computer drives, just in case. I try to get
everything on a new computer before the old drive dies. Having tried
it the other way, I prefer this.

Windows records the hardware it's installed on and generally won't
activate if moved to a different computer, but I haven't had a problem
running a copy of the OS in the original computer. They usually want a
reboot the first time for the new HDD's driver. The date of the
antivirus's update tells me when the drive was last used if I forgot
to record it.

Cloned "sandbox" drives can open suspicious email attachments without
risking your good drive. I made a bootable Restore DVD that will wipe
an infected drive clean and install a stripped-down but functional
operating system which can then restore a full backup. It runs from a
read-only DVD drive.
http://cwsandbox.org/

Interesting stuff. I have a whole different view of computing now
that business isn't the first issue. As of next year, I can start
buying the cheap copy of TurboTax instead of the pricier Home and
Business Edition. Whoooee! And I have to rethink how to reload all
that software. Cloned drives seem the easiest way, and I can do that
without all the expensive and petulant software which has always
plagued me. For the past several years, I've been backing up to
inexpensive 2.5" drives, but not full clones.

I think I might move my email to the Fire or my phone and remove it
from the computer.

Now I'm collecting evidence and composing a nastygram to an Amazon
supplier who advertised two new laptop drives but instead sent a
laptop drive with 12,000 hours and two free falls recorded on it
and
a 'recertified' (failed) desktop drive.

You bought -used- computer drives? Shameful. They're bad enough
new.

Not intentionally. I ordered more New Old Stock ones (to avoid 4k
Advanced Format) from another vendor and they seem fine, although the
5 year warranty expired yesterday.

I haven't found GWX nagware in it (yet?) but it adds their Customer
Experience Improvement Program telemetry spyware which I manually
disabled(?). Experience this, dammit!
--sigh--

I finally had to uninstall either 9 or 11 Windows Updates to finally
get rid of that GWX virus. Now that Win10 is no longer free, maybe
it'll go away. I, too, try to turn off the spyware whenever
possible.

The Convenience Rollup appears as a single update so individual
changes can't be uninstalled.

Nix that idea! Whose convenience, I ask?

--
GIFT CERTIFICATE:
From the office of Jack Kevorkian, M.D.
From:Me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

idoubt anyone will run across one of them "in the wild" - or a
"flame eater" either

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

"Flame licker" models used to be built by some home-shop machinists.
You can still find plans and maybe kits to make them. I never heard of
a Lenoir model but I'll bet some people have made them.

I never saw the attraction to flame-lickers, but some people just like
to make models of historical engines. One of my first scratch-built
lathe projects was an oscillating steam engine (which I ran on
compressed air), so I recognize the general appeal.

When I retire, I'd like to get involved in high-performance Stirlings.
I used to correspond with James Senfft, trying to get up to speed on
lubricating Stirlings, which is a challenge, but I lost touch with him
around 15 years ago.

--
Ed Huntress

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 31 Aug 2016
05:36:35 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Larry Jaques wrote:

If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound of
epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken key
to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You should
have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad I
took typing in 9th grade.

Boys weren't allowed to take typing when I was in school, until my
senior year. I wasn't about to drop a shop class, to be in a hot
classroom with a 70+ year old screeching woman teacher. You could hear
her to both ends of that floor.

I took typing - and did badly.

I learned touch typing from using a keyboard. Just as I learned
10-key from playing computer games.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 09:51:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

There are several programs that backup or clone a whole drive or
partition, including the OS partition while it's running. I've had
good luck with Apricorn's SATA Wire and EZ Gig IV:
https://www.apricorn.com/sata-wire-3.html
It needs a USB3 port for the increased current limit. Some laptop
drives pull more current than a USB2 port can supply.

It's time to get an updated computer with USB3 ports. My last
purchase was the Acer in 2009. I'm overdue.

A powered USB3 hub plugged into a USB2 port can provide the extra
current though not the speed.

My workhorse Win7 laptop is a 10 year old Dell D820,. The USB3 ports
are on an ExpressCard adapter and are good for about 140 MB/S to/from
an SSD. The internal and external terabyte drives aren't quite that
fast so it's good enough.

It's at a sweet spot as a hardware tinkerer's desktop replacement,
being the first of the line that can take a SATA SSD and having the
maximum of plug-in card and DVD/HDD drive slots and external ports,
before laptops began dropping them to become thinner and lighter.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

IIRC the crucial ANSI escape code sequence returned the screen
character at a designated position to the sender, which allowed them
to write a space to that position and resend the character one row
down, making the text appear to droop. I believe it was meant to be
used to save and restore the previous screen after sending a warning
message in a box.

O.K. A program, then, not just a simple escape sequence. The
VT100 made it possible, by having that character return, but not a
single code to drop everything in a column down one line at a time. :-)

The programmers pulled those stunts only on each other, usually when
they needed to compile and the recipient was playing a game that
bogged down the VAX. The player could change the name of the game
process but not hide its size from other users. I happened to be
watching when one hit.

A great use.

Someone at work a few decades ago went to a user's group meeting
for the CDC Cyber-6600, and came back with a tape. He loaded it and set
it up for delayed execution.

You need to know that the 6600's console consisted of two large
round CRTs to either side of above the keyboard. Typically, one CRT
would display the status of the whole system, while the other was used
to check on and interact with a specific job. The phosphor on both was
green.

Anyway -- he hung around when the night operator came on, and
waited. Then he heard a scream.

What happened was:

1) Both screens blanked.

2) A pair of green eyes slowly rose from the bottom of the CRTs.

3) They looked at the operator.

4) They looked down at the keyboard.

5) They looked at where the wall clock would likely be.

6) They looked back at the keyboard.

7) They looked back at the operator.

8) They slowly sunk off the bottom of the CRTs.

9) Normal operation returned. :-)

Sort of like the other -- but taking advantage of the particular
design of the CDC 6600's console. :-)

I've used the same method to write a Matrix Waterfall screen saver and
a graphic display of a shift register's contents in an experimental
IC.

Sounds like fun.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
If you're a touch typist, simply dot the F and J keys with a mound of
epoxy or fingernail polish, or superglue a rounded piece of broken key
to the tops. If you're not a touch typist, shame on you. You should
have learned that by now. When computers came out, I sure was glad I
took typing in 9th grade.

Boys weren't allowed to take typing when I was in school, until my
senior year. I wasn't about to drop a shop class, to be in a hot
classroom with a 70+ year old screeching woman teacher. You could hear
her to both ends of that floor.

I was forced to take "keyboarding" as well as one quarter of "home
economics" Barely passed keyboarding but had no problems in home ec. My
Mom was one of the "Men should be able to cook and sew" people. She
taught me both long before that class.

Home Economics was another course that boys didn't take in my school
system, in the '60s. My mother insisted that I learn to cook, as well.

That was taught in Jr. High, and I had a class across the hall from that
classroom. Quite often you would see and hear a girl run screaming from
the classroom, and down the hall to the restroom to throw up when they
tried their cooking. The boys watched to see who kept doing it, and
stayed away from those girls to keep from being poisoned. ;-)

My schedule was interesting in Jr and Senior high school. I took
every math and science class that was available, except second year
Algebra. There was no way to fit it in. I took Latin, Metal Shop, Wood
shop, Drafting, and Electronics 1 and 2. I was the teacher's assistant
while taking Electronics 2. I was already working in a TV shop before I
took the two Electronics courses.

I also taught a night adult education course in small appliance
repair, before I was old enough to drive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 05:31:37 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

These accumulated while repairing old computers to give away.
Sometimes I got three computers, and a dozen good keyboards at a time.

I have a month's supply of canned food on hand.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

I guess that really would creep out someone too serious to consider
writing pranks themselves, like those who believe faked UFOs (mine may
have inspired the Exeter NH affairs). We had one very good female
programmer whom the manager carefully shielded from human contact,
especially with us rather rowdy hardware types.

We were too busy for anything that complicated. One of the engineers
wrote a screen saver that was normally blank and occasionally flashed
in large letters:
REPENT
THE END IS NEAR!
It seemed to appear as a personal warning to anyone walking by.

I was writing test code directly on the machine we were developing,
which had extremely sensitive microvolt and picoamp meters. If I
removed the shielding their noise level rose when anyone approached,
so I made the machine come alive and greet the visitor.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Sep 2016 04:39:32 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

TFF! I laughed so hard at that one, I'm in tears. Too bad he didn't
catch it all on video, from both angles. I'm sure it would have gone
viral on YouTube.

--
GIFT CERTIFICATE:
From the office of Jack Kevorkian, M.D.
From:Me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

These accumulated while repairing old computers to give away.
Sometimes I got three computers, and a dozen good keyboards at a time.

Wow.

I have a month's supply of canned food on hand.

That likely won't be enough...when the whip comes down.
Got enough bottled water for a month, too? And some for the toilet?

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

IIRC the crucial ANSI escape code sequence returned the screen
character at a designated position to the sender, which allowed
them
to write a space to that position and resend the character one row
down, making the text appear to droop. I believe it was meant to
be
used to save and restore the previous screen after sending a
warning
message in a box.

O.K. A program, then, not just a simple escape sequence. The
VT100 made it possible, by having that character return, but not a
single code to drop everything in a column down one line at a time.
:-)

[...]

I would have spewed coffee on the keyboard and laughed myself silly,
but I backed off from such pranks when I found out that a fragile
neurotic could believe that they had snapped and were hallucinating.

For homework my wife programmed the Cylon red eye on the data register
display of a PDP-8.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

These accumulated while repairing old computers to give away.
Sometimes I got three computers, and a dozen good keyboards at a time.

Wow.

I have a month's supply of canned food on hand.

That likely won't be enough...when the whip comes down.
Got enough bottled water for a month, too? And some for the toilet?

The gov recommends 72 hours...snicker.

The least one should have on hand is 90 days. Now..if you can find
MREs...that makes it a hell of a lot easier than constant
rotation..which is something you have to do. Oldest stuff always is
moved to the front and consumed.

Buy ONLY what you will eat. Buy what you normally eat. Keep some
really long storage stuff at hand though..things like instant oatmeal,
honey, noodles, rice, beans etc..the dried stuff that will last 5+
yrs.

Snag a big handful of mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper packs from the
fast food joints every time you go in there...put em in jars and seal
em..with a date. They are good for about a year-18 months at most..so
consume em as you eat.

We have been doing this sort of thing for 30 yrs..works for us..and we
can get by with little money ..which is a good thing with this
economy.

I have a bunch of #10 cans of Stuff that we put up in 1999. Most of
it is still good. Various types of flour, beans, rice etc etc..all of
it packed in cans and filled with Argon before sealing.

We also do a fair amount of canning a couple times a year. We do live
in one of the agricultural capitals of the US...Central California. We
drive out to the packing sheds and buy in bulk. 200lbs of potatos for
$5, right out of the field. Carrots by the truckload, onions etc etc.
We dehydrate a lot of that stuff. It takes very little effort to
do..and once we fill the dehydrators...it does all the hard work for
us..we simply empty them into Mason jars, give em a flush with argon
and put the lids on. Or make up chillie sauces, refried beans,
carrots, pickles, peppers, etc etc and then can them..but it is a bit
of work to do 25 quarts at a time. But it will keep for 2-3 yrs if
done properly

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Someone at work a few decades ago went to a user's group meeting
for the CDC Cyber-6600, and came back with a tape. He loaded it and
set
it up for delayed execution.

[ ... ]

I guess that really would creep out someone too serious to consider
writing pranks themselves, like those who believe faked UFOs (mine may
have inspired the Exeter NH affairs). We had one very good female
programmer whom the manager carefully shielded from human contact,
especially with us rather rowdy hardware types.

We were too busy for anything that complicated. One of the engineers
wrote a screen saver that was normally blank and occasionally flashed
in large letters:
REPENT
THE END IS NEAR!
It seemed to appear as a personal warning to anyone walking by.

Reminds me that I had the normal login script on the unix
systems set up to run the "fortune" program. (It gives all kinds of
things, including normal sign-based fortunes. It always insults.)

Anyway -- I got a call from one user -- a woman -- who got this
"fortune" when she logged in:

LIBRA (Sept 23 - Oct 22)
You are the artistic type and have a difficult time with
reality. If you are a man, you are more than likely gay.
Chances for employment and monetary gains are excellent. Most
Libra women are prostitutes. All Libra people die of venereal
disease.

And it happened that she *was* a Libra -- and she thought that someone
had intentionally set up this specific fortune on her particular system
to offend her.

A more typical message from it is this one:

Just when you thought you were winning the rat race, along comes a
faster rat!!!

Anyway -- it took me a while to cool her down. :-)

I was writing test code directly on the machine we were developing,
which had extremely sensitive microvolt and picoamp meters.

Keithly devices, perhaps? (Though I never saw one of those with
a HPIB/GPIB/IEEE-488 interface. :-) Maybe a later model than what I have
worked with.

If I
removed the shielding their noise level rose when anyone approached,
so I made the machine come alive and greet the visitor.

Fun!

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-03, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 3 Sep 2016 04:39:32 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Someone at work a few decades ago went to a user's group meeting
for the CDC Cyber-6600, and came back with a tape. He loaded it and set
it up for delayed execution.

[ ... long description of hack snipped ... ]

TFF! I laughed so hard at that one, I'm in tears. Too bad he didn't
catch it all on video, from both angles. I'm sure it would have gone
viral on YouTube.

Too early for YouTube. Arpanet was just getting started. A
couple of years later, the computer center got a "butterfly" to enable
interfacing to Arpanet -- which later became the internet. I had fun
downloading and compiling useful programs from the original Simtel-20
site with that.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 3 Sep 2016 04:39:32 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

wrote:

[ ... ]

Someone at work a few decades ago went to a user's group meeting
for the CDC Cyber-6600, and came back with a tape. He loaded it and
set
it up for delayed execution.

[ ... long description snipped ... ]

TFF! I laughed so hard at that one, I'm in tears. Too bad he
didn't
catch it all on video, from both angles. I'm sure it would have
gone
viral on YouTube.

I would have spewed coffee on the keyboard and laughed myself silly,
but I backed off from such pranks when I found out that a fragile
neurotic could believe that they had snapped and were hallucinating.

Now -- there would never be a fragile neurotic working with
computers, would there? :-) (Other than the user who took a fortune
cookie program output personally -- just because it happened to be for a
Libra, and she was a Libra. :-)

For homework my wife programmed the Cylon red eye on the data register
display of a PDP-8.

Ah -- the PDP-8 -- so much hardware for so little capability. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I was writing test code directly on the machine we were developing,
which had extremely sensitive microvolt and picoamp meters.

Keithly devices, perhaps? (Though I never saw one of those with
a HPIB/GPIB/IEEE-488 interface. :-) Maybe a later model than what I
have
worked with.

The Ph.D. project manager had been an instrument designer at Keithley,
where he designed a meter that could detect 60 electrons per second.

These were custom circuits on ~2" x 4" cards that fit in the test head
over the wafer. The current meter resolved to 100 femtoAmps over a
common mode input voltage range of 0 to 100V. The only suitable coax
and reed relay insulation with low enough dielectric absorption was
special teflon foam tape from W.L.Gore.

That company built Analog Devices' production-line parametric testers,
the machines that confirm each part meets specs, and had an
arrangement to get enough of their hand-selected highest-performing op
amps to build more sensitive and accurate analog circuits than anyone
else. Most of them went back in testers for AD.

When Schlumberger bought the company the competitors sued with the
FTC, claiming it was "unfair" that the biggest company in the industry
now owned the technology leader. The distractions of the lawsuit
destroyed them.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-03, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I was writing test code directly on the machine we were developing,
which had extremely sensitive microvolt and picoamp meters.

Keithly devices, perhaps? (Though I never saw one of those with
a HPIB/GPIB/IEEE-488 interface. :-) Maybe a later model than what I
have
worked with.

The Ph.D. project manager had been an instrument designer at Keithley,
where he designed a meter that could detect 60 electrons per second.

O.K. My first thought was at least partially right. :-) (A
small part of the industry -- down to counting electrons as they wander
past. :-)

I remember that we had one of Keithley's picoammeters in a
Faraday cage with the controls remoted to the outside with Teflon
shafts. I forget what it was measuring, but they were sure careful
about stray fields.

These were custom circuits on ~2" x 4" cards that fit in the test head
over the wafer. The current meter resolved to 100 femtoAmps over a
common mode input voltage range of 0 to 100V. The only suitable coax
and reed relay insulation with low enough dielectric absorption was
special teflon foam tape from W.L.Gore.

Impressive.

That company built Analog Devices' production-line parametric testers,
the machines that confirm each part meets specs, and had an
arrangement to get enough of their hand-selected highest-performing op
amps to build more sensitive and accurate analog circuits than anyone
else. Most of them went back in testers for AD.

Eventually, that should saturate, and more make it out to the
rest of the industry. :-)

When Schlumberger bought the company the competitors sued with the
FTC, claiming it was "unfair" that the biggest company in the industry
now owned the technology leader. The distractions of the lawsuit
destroyed them.

Ouch!

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 10:00:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Humanity is fragile, innit?

For homework my wife programmed the Cylon red eye on the data register
display of a PDP-8.

Complete with sweep/scan sounds? Cool! g

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks.

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

These accumulated while repairing old computers to give away.
Sometimes I got three computers, and a dozen good keyboards at a time.

Wow.

I have a month's supply of canned food on hand.

That likely won't be enough...when the whip comes down.
Got enough bottled water for a month, too? And some for the toilet?

The gov recommends 72 hours...snicker.

The New World Order wants 90% of us dead, too. Just enough to service
the couple million elites of the world.

The least one should have on hand is 90 days. Now..if you can find

That's only IF you think the gov't will come save you by then. I don't
see how people can rely on them. Hell, they shipped truckloads of
bottled water for relief of Hurricane Katrina to Connecticut,
ferchrissake. The truck drivers argued with the dispatchers who
showed them the orders direct from FEMA. My old neighbor's daughter
was one of those truckers. It took an extra 8 days to get that water
to where it was supposed to go, So. LA. Not to mention Killer
Trailers direct from the gov't. The gov't who is ordering billions of
rounds of ammo, full-auto rifles, and tens of millions of both body
bags and plastic coffins. This while calling all emergency food
producers to see how much stock they keep. This while calling all
sorts of fencing and building contractors, asking them for estimates
on miles-long fencing jobs and temp housing. It's getting very
interesting nowadays. Stay tuned.

MREs...that makes it a hell of a lot easier than constant
rotation..which is something you have to do. Oldest stuff always is
moved to the front and consumed.

MREs only cost $12/meal, too. ChaFreakin'CHING. Can handling shelves
take care of the rotation. You also know that expiration dates are a
figment of the government's imagination, don't you? The 2 year date
was picked out of thin air. I doubled the footage of my garden this
year, and will double it again next year. And I'll be taking 2 more
smallish trees down to provide more sunlight to the west.

Buy ONLY what you will eat. Buy what you normally eat. Keep some

Right.

really long storage stuff at hand though..things like instant oatmeal,
honey, noodles, rice, beans etc..the dried stuff that will last 5+
yrs.

10-25 years, y'mean.

em..with a date. They are good for about a year-18 months at most..so
consume em as you eat.

Nah. Condiments become luxuries when the **** hits the fan. Herbs
and spices, on the other hand, become crucial. I keep lots of both.
Garlic, pepper, and other most-used spices by the pound, sealed in
mylar with oxygen absorbers.

[...]

I'm learning pickling and fermenting right now.
http://tinyurl.com/jnjncxb Preserving Food Without Freezing or
Canning.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-04, Jim Wilkins wrote:
That company built Analog Devices' production-line parametric
testers,
the machines that confirm each part meets specs, and had an
arrangement to get enough of their hand-selected highest-performing
op
amps to build more sensitive and accurate analog circuits than
anyone
else. Most of them went back in testers for AD.

Eventually, that should saturate, and more make it out to the
rest of the industry. :-)

The hand-selected ones had different part numbers that weren't in the
catalog. There's always a bell curve distribution. We got the upper
sigma for input bias and offset current, Radio Shack was rumored to
get the lowest one. Other parameters didn't matter to us so maybe some
audio synthesizer company got the ones with the highest frequency
response. Our machines didn't check for that, only the
guaranteed-by-test data sheet parameters, though I've measured Bode
plots on the bench. As long as the circuit settled to the required
accuracy within one millisecond we were happy.

That was for analog measurements. The digital memory chip testers sent
out address and data at 50MHz, state-of-the-art in the early 80's when
the test vectors had to be generated in the main rack and sent out
long cables to the test head.

I bought a batch of Chinese Schottky solar panel isolation diodes that
all are slightly below the reverse voltage leakage spec at room
temperature, and worse above it, as though they were the rejects from
a production tester.

In class they treat op-amps as ideal devices. I was exposed to the
nitty-gritty of all the ways they aren't, and how to measure the
discrepancies.
http://www.analog.com/library/analog...surements.html

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAG7dRl7N4

etc etc etc

The latest incarnation of public hacking....(Grin)

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

em..with a date. They are good for about a year-18 months at
most..so
[...]

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...iners_12102014

--???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-09-01, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

Har!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAG7dRl7N4

etc etc etc

The latest incarnation of public hacking....(Grin)

That's cool. The Klaatu Barada Nikto brought back old memories.
Surprisingly, I loved both versions of the movie, new and old.
Each protagonist fit well in their respective timeline.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Sep 2016 23:25:12 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2016-09-03, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 3 Sep 2016 04:39:32 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

Someone at work a few decades ago went to a user's group meeting
for the CDC Cyber-6600, and came back with a tape. He loaded it and set
it up for delayed execution.

[ ... long description of hack snipped ... ]

TFF! I laughed so hard at that one, I'm in tears. Too bad he didn't
catch it all on video, from both angles. I'm sure it would have gone
viral on YouTube.

Too early for YouTube. Arpanet was just getting started. A
couple of years later, the computer center got a "butterfly" to enable
interfacing to Arpanet -- which later became the internet. I had fun
downloading and compiling useful programs from the original Simtel-20
site with that.

Yabbut, I meant that had he saved it to video, it might still be
around and have been put on YouTube to go viral.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

At that point, should any water, oil or anti-freeze be present within the ignition?

it has to be able to work on the piston, and then it has to be expelled
before the cycle repeats. If one of those is missing, it ain't gonna work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 07:49:55 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
I'm learning pickling and fermenting right now.
http://tinyurl.com/jnjncxb Preserving Food Without Freezing or
Canning.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...iners_12102014

--???

Damn, now the gov't is spending taxpayer money to fund emergency gear
kits for the gov't employees but not us. It figures. But 2-day kits
will only get them killed by rioters who don't have one. Those
employees don't have the mindset, gear, body strength, mental stamina,
or street/bush knowledge to be able to survive after the lights go
out.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as
I have received and am still receiving.
-- Albert Einstein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
I'm learning pickling and fermenting right now.
http://tinyurl.com/jnjncxb Preserving Food Without Freezing or
Canning.

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...iners_12102014

--???

Damn, now the gov't is spending taxpayer money to fund emergency gear
kits for the gov't employees but not us. It figures. But 2-day kits
will only get them killed by rioters who don't have one. Those
employees don't have the mindset, gear, body strength, mental stamina,
or street/bush knowledge to be able to survive after the lights go
out.

So you need to buy LOTS of stuff -- especially American-made ammo. Buy
all you can carry.

Buy more American-made guns, too. Also, all you can carry. And
canteens -- American made only, please.

Generators -- one isn't enough. Repair parts for everything. Buy lots
of tools. And canvas. You can never have too much canvas.

There's all kinds of stuff you need for when TSHTF. Night-vision
scopes, ATVs...buy, buy, buy. Buy a mule. Make it two -- you need one
to carry your stuff. Take out a loan so you can buy more..and pay
cash, please.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

We can't help the half-light or old mashers, but if you get a new
keyboard with the nibs still on F and J, that should help.
http://tinyurl.com/guuhchh $13.59, delivered! I should get one
myself. Me nibs're gone, too.

Salvation Army, Goodwill etc etc...have keyboards for a couple bucks..

I have plenty of spare keyboards for free, to anyone in the Central
Florida area. Probably 100+ right now.

Shoulda been prepping with food 'n ammo instead, boy.

These accumulated while repairing old computers to give away.
Sometimes I got three computers, and a dozen good keyboards at a time.

Wow.

I have a month's supply of canned food on hand.

That likely won't be enough...when the whip comes down.
Got enough bottled water for a month, too? And some for the toilet?

Smokes !! What are you going to do about smokes? Smokes, Larry !! Now if you'd move out to eastern Carolina, there are tobacco leaves all over the back roads, rooftops and fences around this time of year. You can take some home, dry it out and shred it. Whenever you like. The stuff is everywhere. Nothing matters but smokes, you'll see !!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Leftovers? Didn't they teach you about portion control?

That's why I wear size 38 instead of your 48 pants, boy.

I've never been that big. Right now I wear 40 or 42 inch.

#1 thing survival nuts need for TEOTWAWKI: a crew. So that they can
take shifts sleeping. Two main problems: being a survival nut tends to
mean a low supply of worthwhile friends. And most of them are too
paranoid to trust each other. So after they fulfill your list, they
should stock up on a further supply of paranoia about their friends
stealing their canvas etc.