Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Seven years of metalworking. I am humbled

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

--
Boris

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble' even a
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that could be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 18:54:19 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Thank you for that video!!

Any idea of when the launch date is?

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com on Thu, 18 Aug
2016 18:31:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble' even a
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that could be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

I am reminded of the time, the carb on my Toyota crapped out "for
the last time". Fortunately, I was close enough to a parts store to
be able to walk there and back, with a rebuild kit for the carb.
An hour or so later, I've got news papers spread out on the picnic
table in the side yard, and the carb half disassembled, when herself
comes home, takes a look at what I am doing, and says "I couldn't do
anything that complicated." To which I thought "Complicated? This,
I'm just taking it apart, placing the pieces in order - and I have the
drawing right here for reference."

For me, ex-VW mechanic, it was no big deal. For her, not knowing
any of it: "Wow, that's so complicated."

tschus
pyotr

I'm just wondering what sort of schedule, budget he had.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:33:35 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com on Thu, 18 Aug 2016
18:31:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
m:

[...]

pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age
travels alone."

Long schedule, apparently unlimited budget. That's a lot of material,
never mind the tools, equipment, and labor. Even if he finished it,
delivered it to Galveston, and gave it to me, I couldn't afford the
operating expenses and upkeep.

Sure looks like he's having fun. Hope he doesn't get killed launching
it. Lots of stuff falling and tipping over, looks like.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

--
Boris

I was fascinated by the whole thing, but then I had this thought. Can you
imagine all the things that kid learned in that time period. He's got a
fantastic start on life if he decides to be a "maker."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor on Fri, 19 Aug 2016 19:48:09 GMT
[...]

"Your options are fast, good and cheap - pick two."

That's a lot of material,
never mind the tools, equipment, and labor. Even if he finished it,
delivered it to Galveston, and gave it to me, I couldn't afford the
operating expenses and upkeep.

Sure looks like he's having fun. Hope he doesn't get killed launching
it. Lots of stuff falling and tipping over, looks like.

Eh, all part of the process.

As he said at one point "The next one will go quicker."\
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble' even a
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that could be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

However, I will moderate my praise until I see this boat sail and
operate in real world conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKOlLhlQsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TYQZd0HPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdf5iHQnU1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdXEwhsDiM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus25500 fired this volley in
:

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

Such 'totality' was also in the building of the pyramids, but they only
took some fairly short initial 'engineering', then ALL the rest was done by
unskilled slave labor! Grin

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.170...
Ignoramus25500 fired this
volley in
:

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

Such 'totality' was also in the building of the pyramids, but they
only
took some fairly short initial 'engineering', then ALL the rest was
done by
unskilled slave labor! Grin

LLoyd

This one was re-engineered part way through. Oops!
http://www.nemo.nu/ibisportal/0egypt...snofrubent.htm

--Imhotep

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble' even a
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that could be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

However, I will moderate my praise until I see this boat sail and
operate in real world conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKOlLhlQsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TYQZd0HPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdf5iHQnU1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdXEwhsDiM

and this too

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAB1514.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25500 fired this volley in
:

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

Such 'totality' was also in the building of the pyramids, but they only
took some fairly short initial 'engineering', then ALL the rest was done by
unskilled slave labor! Grin

LLoyd

yeah and pyramids will be around to impress people, 1000 years after
both of us die.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, can you cook a 5 course Christmas dinner for eight
and have the dishes all come out of the oven at just the right moment
to be served :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. fired this volley in
:

On the other hand, can you cook a 5 course Christmas dinner for eight
and have the dishes all come out of the oven at just the right moment
to be served :-)

Yep... done it dozens of times! My WIFE can't, but she can't handle
arithmetic. (and that's all it is! G)

So I let her do the "compose and mix"cooking, and I do the hot cooking.
'Works out great every year!

(dozens isn't an exaggeration -- we've been together for 45 years)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Right. Wonder if the Kid will continue on the project and make it
certificated for blue water - at least the Gulf.

That would be wonderful. Time will tell.

Martin

On 8/19/2016 4:50 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Boris Mohar" wrote in message

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

--
Boris

I was fascinated by the whole thing, but then I had this thought. Can you
imagine all the things that kid learned in that time period. He's got a
fantastic start on life if he decides to be a "maker."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It's not that hard ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 18:54:19 -0400, Boris Mohar
wrote:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Wow, one hellacious dream, innit? Kudos to Tulsans.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 18:31:47 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble' even a
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that could be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

True, that, but I can see how pouring onesself into a dream like that
would humble a lot of people. I can see why the divorce happened.
Luckily, they're still friends (we hope).

I can see how making something themselves would save some money, but
some of that stuff, like the multi-pitch prop, would be absolutely
dragon's teeth to fix on a remote shore. Some things are better
bought. I question their pouring of lead directly into the bilge,
too. I'd have cast 'em in sections with winch eyes, as hull repairs
would be unlikely as-is.

Where are they going in that, anyway?

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 19:48:09 GMT, Pete Keillor
wrote:

[...]

Ditto the 2bbl on my old '68 Ford Ranch Wagon. I was driving through
the Mojave Desert on the way to Mojave when the engine died a mile out
of town. Stuck float, wouldn't tap free, so I walked to the auto
parts store, got a bucket of cleaner and carb kit ($8 all together,
IIRC, so you know it was a long while ago) found a house close to the
road and asked to use their hose, and got her boiled out and rebuilt.
I was back on the road in under 2 hours. The Mojave heat dried the
boiled and douched carb in minutes.

For me, ex-VW mechanic, it was no big deal. For her, not knowing
any of it: "Wow, that's so complicated."

Yeah, after tech school for me, too.

Long schedule, apparently unlimited budget. That's a lot of material,

Not so unlimited budget, 'cept for the first wife.

never mind the tools, equipment, and labor. Even if he finished it,
delivered it to Galveston, and gave it to me, I couldn't afford the
operating expenses and upkeep.

Sure looks like he's having fun. Hope he doesn't get killed launching
it. Lots of stuff falling and tipping over, looks like.

I like the few frames of the launch of the sub, where they let the
trailer+sub go down the ramp and into the water by itself. I might
have used a winch for that, myself.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 22:07:30 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On the other hand, can you cook a 5 course Christmas dinner for eight
and have the dishes all come out of the oven at just the right moment
to be served :-)

It's not that hard ...

BTDT, too. OBTW, I thought of you when I saw this today:
http://newatlas.com/sturgis-motorcyc...of-fame/44706/
(Harley metal related)

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 17:53:54 -0500, Ignoramus25500

On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble' even a
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that could be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

However, I will moderate my praise until I see this boat sail and
operate in real world conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKOlLhlQsc

Oops, forgot the drain plugs and/or too much ballast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TYQZd0HPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdf5iHQnU1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdXEwhsDiM

Oops, forgot the ballast!

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

John B. wrote:
On the other hand, can you cook a 5 course Christmas dinner for
eight and have the dishes all come out of the oven at just the
right moment to be served :-)

It's not that hard ...

BTDT, too. OBTW, I thought of you when I saw this today:
http://newatlas.com/sturgis-motorcyc...of-fame/44706/
(Harley metal related)

While it's no Sturgis , I just rode home (in the rain ... but it's only
about 12 miles) from Mountains Music & Motorcycles in Mountain View Ar . We
didn't get as good a turnout this year due to all the freakin' rain , only
about 1500 bikes this year .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

John B. wrote:
On the other hand, can you cook a 5 course Christmas dinner for
eight and have the dishes all come out of the oven at just the
right moment to be served :-)

It's not that hard ...

BTDT, too. OBTW, I thought of you when I saw this today:
http://newatlas.com/sturgis-motorcyc...of-fame/44706/
(Harley metal related)

While it's no Sturgis , I just rode home (in the rain ... but it's only

We had full sun and 109F temps yesterday, and it's already over 100.
Maybe we can trade half our weather with each other. I grew up on
LRAFB and did one year at the prison called Jacksonville Junior High
School.

about 12 miles) from Mountains Music & Motorcycles in Mountain View Ar . We
didn't get as good a turnout this year due to all the freakin' rain , only
about 1500 bikes this year .

I'd imagine that's fun for an hour or two.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

John B. wrote:
[...]

Biker chicks in tight tee shirts in the rain ... what's not to like ?
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

John B. wrote:
[...]

You have a definite pair of points there.

But crowds, bike and people noise, smokers, and drunks/druggies are a
few of the downsides, to me. 'Course, I'm a hermit by nature. YMMV

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble' even a
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that could be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

However, I will moderate my praise until I see this boat sail and
operate in real world conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKOlLhlQsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TYQZd0HPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdf5iHQnU1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdXEwhsDiM

and this too

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAB1514.pdf

Was it expected to not sink? It's real ugly too, so no loss either there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble' even a
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that could be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

However, I will moderate my praise until I see this boat sail and
operate in real world conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKOlLhlQsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TYQZd0HPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdf5iHQnU1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdXEwhsDiM

and this too

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAB1514.pdf

Was it expected to not sink? It's real ugly too, so no loss either there.

This is exactly my sentiment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

Ignoramus31642 wrote:
On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500 wrote:
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

I was happy to read that the boat maker went bankrupt due to this
accident. The $10 million boat was a total loss.

I bet the insurance company declined to pay, which is perfectly legal
and expected, given the cause.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-21, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

Ignoramus31642 wrote:
On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500 wrote:
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

They did decline to pay and a big legal battle ensued. Not sure how it
ended.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

Ignoramus31642 wrote:
On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500 wrote:
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

How the hell was that piece of junk 10 million?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 22:43:27 -0500, Ignoramus581

On 2016-08-21, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

Ignoramus31642 wrote:
On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500 wrote:
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Shouldn't the designer have an umbrella policy for this? Isn't it he
who screwed the pooch here? The 200# difference in weighed loads
couldn't have caused anything like what happened to that yacht.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-21, Joe Gwinn wrote:

I was happy to read that the boat maker went bankrupt due to this
accident. The $10 million boat was a total loss.

I bet the insurance company declined to pay, which is perfectly
legal and expected, given the cause.

They did decline to pay and a big legal battle ensued. Not sure how
it ended.

Shouldn't the designer have an umbrella policy for this? Isn't it he
who screwed the pooch here? The 200# difference in weighed loads
couldn't have caused anything like what happened to that yacht.

Did you read the report Larry ? The difference was a lot more than 200
pounds ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500
wrote:
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
[...]

It's not the hull, it's all the fancy stuff within, none of which
survives being soaked in sea water.

If the shipyard hadn't become scatterbrained and had managed to get the
ballasting right, the boat probably would have been exactly what the
owner wanted.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-23, Terry Coombs wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 22:43:27 -0500, Ignoramus581

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-21, Joe Gwinn wrote:

I was happy to read that the boat maker went bankrupt due to this
accident. The $10 million boat was a total loss.

I bet the insurance company declined to pay, which is perfectly
legal and expected, given the cause.

They did decline to pay and a big legal battle ensued. Not sure how
it ended.

Shouldn't the designer have an umbrella policy for this? Isn't it he
who screwed the pooch here? The 200# difference in weighed loads
couldn't have caused anything like what happened to that yacht.

Did you read the report Larry ? The difference was a lot more than 200
pounds ...

I scanned it. Someone kaff,kaff misread the difference between,
60,550 and 68,700 pounds.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500
wrote:
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
[...]

Even if you factor in the really bad taste, what would you even stuff in
that top-heavy mess worth many millions of dollars? A whole bunch of
chandeliers and rare paintings? A fleet of helicopters?

If the shipyard hadn't become scatterbrained and had managed to get the
ballasting right, the boat probably would have been exactly what the
owner wanted.

I'm still quite pleased that thing sank instantly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 19:36:14 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500
wrote:
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't you like to see the stability calculations for that tub? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/23/2016 12:24 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I scanned it. Someonekaff,kaff misread the difference between,
60,550 and 68,700 pounds.

The even bigger foulup was they reported 23 LT of ballast already loaded
instead of the actual 16 LT to the naval architect doing the stability
calculations...which drastically exacerbated the seriousness of the
port/starboard mismatch.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/24/2016 2:44 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Wouldn't you like to see the stability calculations for that tub? d8-)

The results for four cases are in the report linked to...two for the
actual loading of ballast and the two for the reported 23 LT given the
naval architect initially.

--

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 16:56:25 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 08/24/2016 2:44 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Wouldn't you like to see the stability calculations for that tub? d8-)

The results for four cases are in the report linked to...two for the
actual loading of ballast and the two for the reported 23 LT given the
naval architect initially.

Aha! Not having much spare time at the moment, can you give me an
answer to where the screw-up was?

Thanks.

--
Ed Huntress

30 years ago.... Adam Aglionby UK diy 50 January 18th 10 10:22 PM
100 years Ron Woodworking 3 January 11th 08 08:58 PM
IN A FEW YEARS [email protected] Home Ownership 1 June 25th 05 09:49 AM
Another four years ? JURB6006 Electronics Repair 2 November 4th 04 10:43 AM