Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Seven years of metalworking. I am humbled

On 08/24/2016 7:07 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 16:56:25 -0500, wrote:

On 08/24/2016 2:44 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Wouldn't you like to see the stability calculations for that tub? d8-)

The results for four cases are in the report linked to...two for the
actual loading of ballast and the two for the reported 23 LT given the
naval architect initially.

Aha! Not having much spare time at the moment, can you give me an
answer to where the screw-up was?

Twofold -- one, the misreporting of the bias in load cell readings
port/starboard as the same in the data provided the naval architect
combined with the fact they didn't correct the (documented before the
calculations) assumption that they had, indeed, already loaded some 27
LT of ballast instead of the ~17 LT actual.

The latter (I think obviously?) greatly enhanced the problem caused by
the former; when analyzed with the given data, was within Coast Guard
guideline limits sufficiently to not scrub the launch. A second
analysis with the actual side-to-side imbalance but the 27 LT was still
marginally stable; the architect said he would have noted extreme
caution would be needed but probably not have stopped the launch.

The actual case as analyzed was a show-stopper from the git-go...

The screw-ups all seem to go back to the shipyard; they recorded the
load cell readings correctly even to having written them on the hull but
somehow transcribed them incorrectly when providing them to the
architect. I didn't read carefully enough to follow the entire chain of
events on the 27 LT vs 17 LT ballast, but during preliminary completion
measurements, the architect revised up the total tonnage and required
ballast at least 2 or 3 times, leaving the last recommendation at the 27
LT number. It was not reported to him they didn't load that much so he
used it in the stability calculation prior to launch.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:00:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I appreciate the time you took to explain it. To me, it's a
relief to hear it was a mistake by the yard, rather than by the
architect.

It's still an ugly tub, though. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 15:44:08 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 19:36:14 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2016-08-19, Ignoramus25500
On 2016-08-18, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
Boris Mohar fired this volley in
:

https://youtu.be/KWe75FAM8AQ

Hmmm... I see a LOT of work there, but nothing that would 'humble'
even
dollar-wage mechanic. It's just a lot of work -- not a thing that
could
be
considered especially innovative, or requiring special skills.

The totality of it, all together, is what makes it humbling.

However, I will moderate my praise until I see this boat sail and
operate in real world conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayKOlLhlQsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TYQZd0HPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdf5iHQnU1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLdXEwhsDiM

and this too

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAB1514.pdf

Was it expected to not sink? It's real ugly too, so no loss either there.

This is exactly my sentiment.

I was happy to read that the boat maker went bankrupt due to this
accident. The $10 million boat was a total loss.

I bet the insurance company declined to pay, which is perfectly legal
and expected, given the cause.

Joe Gwinn

How the hell was that piece of junk 10 million?

It's not the hull, it's all the fancy stuff within, none of which
survives being soaked in sea water.

Even if you factor in the really bad taste, what would you even stuff in
that top-heavy mess worth many millions of dollars? A whole bunch of
chandeliers and rare paintings? A fleet of helicopters?

If the shipyard hadn't become scatterbrained and had managed to get the
ballasting right, the boat probably would have been exactly what the
owner wanted.

I'm still quite pleased that thing sank instantly.

Wouldn't you like to see the stability calculations for that tub? d8-)

There is a pretty detailed report, including righting moments at
http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/MAB1514.pdf
as mentioned above.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/24/2016 8:08 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Thanks! I appreciate the time you took to explain it. To me, it's a
relief to hear it was a mistake by the yard, rather than by the
architect.

The report makes the launch sequence sound about like "Bubba Goes to
Sea", besides. Hard to comprehend how a sizable operation could have
been so slack in so many ways.

It's still an ugly tub, though.g

Seems to fit the modern trend, though...

--

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-25, dpb wrote:

The report makes the launch sequence sound about like "Bubba Goes to
Sea", besides. Hard to comprehend how a sizable operation could
have been so slack in so many ways.

The big mistake was the weight imbalance.

The launching procedure seems typical for small businesses around
Chicago, this is how everyone does almost everything everywhere where
I would go. **** happens occasionally due to various corners that
people cut to save money.

How else would they launch it? Rent a 500 ton crane? or a dry dock?

Building a bigger dolly, maybe would have been prudent in light of
what happened. They launched a huge boat on what looked like a semi
trailer rear end. The "loud pop" was doubtless a tire popping from
immense overload, which immediately made everything tilt even worse
than before.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you think that the yacht that capsized and discussed here was a
harebrained idea, how about this one:

http://newatlas.com/hareide-design-super-yacht/44391/

I am hard pressed to think about anything as stupid as that boat, the
stern dipping into water and the "garden".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2016-08-25, wrote:

The report makes the launch sequence sound about like "Bubba Goes to
Sea", besides. Hard to comprehend how a sizable operation could
have been so slack in so many ways.

The big mistake was the weight imbalance.

They coulda' lived with that if they'd'a' loaded the other 10 LT of
ballast they were short...been a little dicey, but that's what the
analyses post-launch showed.

The launching procedure seems typical for small businesses around
Chicago, this is how everyone does almost everything everywhere where
I would go. **** happens occasionally due to various corners that
people cut to save money.

Well, losing a $10M vessel didn't save 'em much, did it?

And, this is Norfolk Naval Shipyard, granted, but it wasn't all that
small an outfit, either...this particular project by the descriptions in
the report seemed to have fallen into a whole bunch of dark gray, if not
black, holes with multiple manager changes, etc., etc., etc., ...

How else would they launch it? Rent a 500 ton crane? or a dry dock?

You go on to answer a fair start of the question...it wouldn't have
taken a lot.

Building a bigger dolly, maybe would have been prudent in light of
what happened. They launched a huge boat on what looked like a semi
trailer rear end. The "loud pop" was doubtless a tire popping from
immense overload, which immediately made everything tilt even worse
than before.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:52:53 -0500, Ignoramus19262
wrote:

If you think that the yacht that capsized and discussed here was a
harebrained idea, how about this one:

http://newatlas.com/hareide-design-super-yacht/44391/

I am hard pressed to think about anything as stupid as that boat, the
stern dipping into water and the "garden".

Hey, Ig. Loan me a mil or two. Now that I'm retired, I'd love to
rent one of those for a month. Anybody else in? g

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19262 wrote:

If you think that the yacht that capsized and discussed here was a
harebrained idea, how about this one:

http://newatlas.com/hareide-design-super-yacht/44391/

I am hard pressed to think about anything as stupid as that boat, the
stern dipping into water and the "garden".

I thought this one was a whole lot more interesting to read:

"Wrecked locomotive discovered after 106 years under Lake Superior"

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...e_superio.html

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If you think that the yacht that capsized and discussed here was a
harebrained idea, how about this one:

http://newatlas.com/hareide-design-super-yacht/44391/

I am hard pressed to think about anything as stupid as that boat, the
stern dipping into water and the "garden".

Hey, Ig. Loan me a mil or two. Now that I'm retired, I'd love to
rent one of those for a month. Anybody else in? g

Just stay REALLY close to shore when you rent one, and call a rescue
helicopter as soon as waves reach the height of 2 feet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19262 wrote:

If you think that the yacht that capsized and discussed here was a
harebrained idea, how about this one:

http://newatlas.com/hareide-design-super-yacht/44391/

I am hard pressed to think about anything as stupid as that boat,
the
stern dipping into water and the "garden".

I thought this one was a whole lot more interesting to read:

"Wrecked locomotive discovered after 106 years under Lake Superior"

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...e_superio.html

--
Leon Fisk

There's a steam locomotive in the harbor of Portsmouth NH:
http://www.someoldnews.com/?p=1296

The replacement Sarah Long drawbridge jammed a few days ago. It was
already scheduled to be replaced after a ship hit and damaged it.

This fallen engine was salvaged from the river and ran for many years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:N...motive_224.jpg

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If you think that the yacht that capsized and discussed here was a
harebrained idea, how about this one:

http://newatlas.com/hareide-design-super-yacht/44391/

I am hard pressed to think about anything as stupid as that boat, the
stern dipping into water and the "garden".

Hey, Ig. Loan me a mil or two. Now that I'm retired, I'd love to
rent one of those for a month. Anybody else in? g

Just stay REALLY close to shore when you rent one, and call a rescue
helicopter as soon as waves reach the height of 2 feet.

I don't think it's nearly that low, but it's probably designed for
calmer waters, to be sure. I hope the wading pool is sal****er.

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19262 wrote:

If you think that the yacht that capsized and discussed here was a
harebrained idea, how about this one:

http://newatlas.com/hareide-design-super-yacht/44391/

I am hard pressed to think about anything as stupid as that boat,
the
stern dipping into water and the "garden".

I thought this one was a whole lot more interesting to read:

"Wrecked locomotive discovered after 106 years under Lake Superior"

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...e_superio.html

I'd love to go exploring with a ROV. Faskinatin'.

--
Leon Fisk

There's a steam locomotive in the harbor of Portsmouth NH:
http://www.someoldnews.com/?p=1296

Those two must have scared hell out of the crew before they claimed
their lives. shudder

The replacement Sarah Long drawbridge jammed a few days ago. It was
already scheduled to be replaced after a ship hit and damaged it.

This fallen engine was salvaged from the river and ran for many years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:N...motive_224.jpg

Did that boiler blow? The raised sheet metal cowling just forward of
the center looks blown out.

--jsw

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/26/2016 7:16 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

I thought this one was a whole lot more interesting to read:

"Wrecked locomotive discovered after 106 years under Lake Superior"

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...e_superio.html

Not so deep, but "local color"

http://www.kshs.org/km/items/view/228294

The locomotive ended up in the bottom of the river, not visible in the
picthers...legend at least has it that it sank in the quicksand. There
are some pictures at the old depot showing the recovery efforts...flash
flood had washed the bridge out.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 09:54:12 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

This fallen engine was salvaged from the river and ran for many
years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:N...motive_224.jpg

Did that boiler blow? The raised sheet metal cowling just forward
of
the center looks blown out.

--jsw

The loco fell within the enclosing bridge girder. The investigation
never determined what went wrong because there were too many possible
causes -- the entire "high girder" section of the bridge and its
supporting columns collapsed, and the lesson was to stop building with
cast iron instead of trying to improve it. Rolled structural steel was
just becoming available.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay_Bridge_disaster
http://taybridgedisaster.co.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_blow
Painters working on the bridge reported that it shook considerably
when a train passed over.

The Tay Bridge is a poster child for excessive cost-cutting redesign,
poor unsupervised fabrication and inept maintenance.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-25, wrote:

The report makes the launch sequence sound about like "Bubba Goes to
Sea", besides. Hard to comprehend how a sizable operation could
have been so slack in so many ways.

The big mistake was the weight imbalance.

They coulda' lived with that if they'd'a' loaded the other 10 LT of
ballast they were short...been a little dicey, but that's what the
analyses post-launch showed.

If I recall, the analysis showed that it would indeed not overturn
during launch, but it would not meet the stability requirements.

The launching procedure seems typical for small businesses around
Chicago, this is how everyone does almost everything everywhere where
I would go. **** happens occasionally due to various corners that
people cut to save money.

Well, losing a $10M vessel didn't save 'em much, did it?

No... But I guess the money was already taken out of the company...

And, this is Norfolk Naval Shipyard, granted, but it wasn't all that
small an outfit, either...this particular project by the
descriptions in the report seemed to have fallen into a whole bunch
of dark gray, if not black, holes with multiple manager changes,
etc., etc., etc., ...

Right.

Some rich guy from Iowa was building a dream "expeditionary luxury
boat" and I have a feeling that, in the middle of the building
process, his health got worse or his priorities shifted, resulting in
less attention paid and lower priority placed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/26/2016 5:38 PM, Ignoramus12311 wrote:

Some rich guy from Iowa was building a dream "expeditionary luxury
boat" and I have a feeling that, in the middle of the building
process, his health got worse or his priorities shifted, resulting in
less attention paid and lower priority placed.

Have no way to know "why", but the lack of QC and process by the
contracting firm is mind-boggling for a $10M+ project.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 21:47:07 -0500, Ignoramus19573

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
On 08/26/2016 5:38 PM, Ignoramus12311 wrote:

Some rich guy from Iowa was building a dream "expeditionary luxury
boat" and I have a feeling that, in the middle of the building
process, his health got worse or his priorities shifted, resulting in
less attention paid and lower priority placed.

Have no way to know "why", but the lack of QC and process by the
contracting firm is mind-boggling for a $10M+ project.

I agree.

You'd think that at the very least, the last guy to head the project
would have gone over everything with a fine toothed comb, just to
cover his _own_ ass, let alone the company's. shrug

Scary thought: Is this what's coming out of our colleges nowadays?

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
On 08/26/2016 5:38 PM, Ignoramus12311 wrote:

Some rich guy from Iowa was building a dream "expeditionary
luxury
boat" and I have a feeling that, in the middle of the building
process, his health got worse or his priorities shifted,
resulting in
less attention paid and lower priority placed.

Have no way to know "why", but the lack of QC and process by the
contracting firm is mind-boggling for a $10M+ project.

I agree.

You'd think that at the very least, the last guy to head the project
would have gone over everything with a fine toothed comb, just to
cover his _own_ ass, let alone the company's. shrug

Scary thought: Is this what's coming out of our colleges nowadays?

With all the computer design tools they still have to test the hull:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclining_test
"The metacentric height (GM), which dominates stability, can be
estimated from the design, but an accurate value must be determined by
an inclining test."

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/wat...g-h-1728578936

A doomed Japanese cruiser temporarily outmaneuvering dive bombers:
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/navalwa...pics/nachi.jpg

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 07:28:47 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
[...]

GIGO, perhaps? And the numbers may be few, but there are architects
and engineers out there who always test the limits, often with
disastrous results. Or, what if it was a young crew of builders who
had celebrated their joy at landing a $10m job a bit too early? Kinda
like the brilliant move Lochte made recently...

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/wat...g-h-1728578936

A doomed Japanese cruiser temporarily outmaneuvering dive bombers:
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/navalwa...pics/nachi.jpg

I've always been awed at the angles to which destroyers and carriers
roll during emergency turns, as seen in WWII movies. The cooks must
hate that. Do warships have the ballast shifting capabilities the
passenger cruise ships use to smooth out high/heavy seas?

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
[...]

A Marine who served on this ship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Inchon
told me the only ballast that shifted when the ship rolled in a bad
storm was the flood of vomit on the deck in their quarters.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
On 08/26/2016 5:38 PM, Ignoramus12311 wrote:

Some rich guy from Iowa was building a dream "expeditionary luxury
boat" and I have a feeling that, in the middle of the building
process, his health got worse or his priorities shifted, resulting in
less attention paid and lower priority placed.

Have no way to know "why", but the lack of QC and process by the
contracting firm is mind-boggling for a $10M+ project.

I agree.

You'd think that at the very least, the last guy to head the project
would have gone over everything with a fine toothed comb, just to
cover his _own_ ass, let alone the company's. shrug

Scary thought: Is this what's coming out of our colleges nowadays?

Unfortunately..yes.

However such things are all to common as witnessed by other YouTube
videos on the same subject.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 13:16:02 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I've always been awed at the angles to which destroyers and carriers
roll during emergency turns, as seen in WWII movies. The cooks must
hate that. Do warships have the ballast shifting capabilities the
passenger cruise ships use to smooth out high/heavy seas?

A Marine who served on this ship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Inchon
told me the only ballast that shifted when the ship rolled in a bad
storm was the flood of vomit on the deck in their quarters.

Wow, after hearing that, I wonder if it's too late to join the
Marines! Erk...

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
On 08/26/2016 5:38 PM, Ignoramus12311 wrote:

Some rich guy from Iowa was building a dream "expeditionary luxury
boat" and I have a feeling that, in the middle of the building
process, his health got worse or his priorities shifted, resulting in
less attention paid and lower priority placed.

Have no way to know "why", but the lack of QC and process by the
contracting firm is mind-boggling for a $10M+ project.

I agree.

You'd think that at the very least, the last guy to head the project
would have gone over everything with a fine toothed comb, just to
cover his _own_ ass, let alone the company's. shrug

Scary thought: Is this what's coming out of our colleges nowadays?

Unfortunately..yes.

However such things are all to common as witnessed by other YouTube
videos on the same subject.

I've seen all sorts of yachts slung over the dockside and dropped out
of a pair of slings which had no connection for stability, nor did the
load leveler bar (whatver that's called.) How do all those lousy crane
operators get away with that kind of crap and retain their licensing?

--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
-- Madeleine L'Engle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2016-08-27, dpb wrote:
[...]

A boat dropped or set horizontally into the water level is at its most
stable position.

Did you read the report?

A boat being slid stern first into the water is not in its most stable
conditions. As the report states, "Stern-first launching on an angled
ramp or incline presents a stability issue that large vessels face
only when first entering the water. The large trim angle causes the
vessel's stern to become buoyant while the bow is supported on a
cradle. This can cause a momentary negative righting arm and, without
additional supports at the bow constraining the vessel from rolling,
necessitates getting the hull into the water quickly to obtain full
stability
--
cheers,

John B.

30 years ago.... Adam Aglionby UK diy 50 January 18th 10 11:22 PM
100 years Ron Woodworking 3 January 11th 08 09:58 PM
IN A FEW YEARS [email protected] Home Ownership 1 June 25th 05 10:49 AM
Another four years ? JURB6006 Electronics Repair 2 November 4th 04 11:43 AM