Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What stainless might be in a catalytic oven

I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal. The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature. They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:11:20 -0500, Ignoramus22707
wrote:

I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal. The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature. They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

They could also be a high nickle alloy or one of the refractory
alloys.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22707" wrote in
message ...
I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal.
The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature.
They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

https://www.metalshims.com/t-321-Sta...ata-sheet.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22707 on Thu, 21 Jul
2016 10:11:20 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal. The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature. They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

Color might be a result of the heat.

Might be inconel or other high temp alloy.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 11:11:27 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus22707 wrote:
I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal. The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature. They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

If you send me a small piece, I will ask the guys at the scrap yard to shoot it with their Xrf.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 5:44:46 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus22707 wrote:
Dan, Thanks, I might ask you...

The stainless could be 309 or 310. Both are really good for high temperatures. But I am not sure that a catalytic oven would require really high temperature stainless.

Is there a model number or manufacturer's name?

At the scrap yard today I saw a really beat up can of 310 welding rod.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 11:11:27 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus22707 wrote:
I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal. The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature. They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

Complex alloys, including most grades of stainless, can produce oxide colors all over the map, so that is not a guide. As for the likely materials for those grates, that depends entirely on the oven's range of operating temperatures.

Melting temperatures of 302 SS, 310 SS, and Incoloy 800 are within 50 deg. C of each other. Stiffness and yield strength show some wider gaps, but they're still close enough that you won't find your answer just in physical properties.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:48:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Complex alloys, including most grades of stainless, can produce oxide colors all over the map, so that is not a guide. As for the likely materials for those grates, that depends entirely on the oven's range of operating temperatures.

Melting temperatures of 302 SS, 310 SS, and Incoloy 800 are within 50 deg. C of each other. Stiffness and yield strength show some wider gaps, but they're still close enough that you won't find your answer just in physical properties.

--
Ed Huntress

The selection of which stainless would not be on melting temperature. It would be on resisting corrosion at elevated temperatures.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 1:39:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:48:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Complex alloys, including most grades of stainless, can produce oxide colors all over the map, so that is not a guide. As for the likely materials for those grates, that depends entirely on the oven's range of operating temperatures.

Melting temperatures of 302 SS, 310 SS, and Incoloy 800 are within 50 deg. C of each other. Stiffness and yield strength show some wider gaps, but they're still close enough that you won't find your answer just in physical properties.

--
Ed Huntress

The selection of which stainless would not be on melting temperature. It would be on resisting corrosion at elevated temperatures.

Dan

Then it depends on what's in the furnace atmosphere when it's in use.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:49:03 -0500, Ignoramus20626

wrote:

I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Inside of it there are heavy grates made of 1/4" strips of metal. The
grates were supporting the mass of pellets.

They are not magnetic but I wonder if they are regular stainless or
maybe some other grade of stainless to survive high temperature. They
have a reddish or golden hue to them.

They could also be a high nickle alloy or one of the refractory
alloys.

Thats what Id be betting my money on.

Is there some way to identify inconel without xrf gun, contrasting it
with stainless?

Say, if I expose it to a acetylene torch with oxidizing flame, and
sprinkle salt on top, would the results be any different with an
inconel sample compared to a stainless sample? Any other simple tests
that you can think of ?

Do you have a TIG welder? If so, melt a small area but use no argon.
If SS then the metal will "sugar". What that means is that the molten
metal will swell up and turn black, looking a lot like burnt sugar. I
don't know of any other alloys that do that. You might be able to do
the same with oxy/acetylene torch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a picture of the grate:

http://yabe.chudov.com/HEAVY-Stainle...-275lbs-22399/

keep in mind that it spent 20-30 years in a hot fire
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This is a SUPER EASY and GREAT idea! Just what I was looking for!

I have a TIG welder no problem...

I assume that inconel would not be sugaring, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22707 wrote:
I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Was the catalyst part of the deal? There's some chance it's worth
more than the metal in the oven. TiO2 isn't very valuable, but if
it's just a support for something else, like platinum or palladium....

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-07-24, bob prohaska wrote:
Ignoramus22707 wrote:
I just got paid money to dismantle and take home a huge old catalytic
oven. It was burning off something and then cleaning the smoke with
titanium dioxide catalyst pellets.

Was the catalyst part of the deal? There's some chance it's worth
more than the metal in the oven. TiO2 isn't very valuable, but if
it's just a support for something else, like platinum or palladium....

bob prohaska

Yes, but they kept TiO2...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3825 fired this volley in
:

Yes, but they kept TiO2...

Again, Ig, you should call those "the catalyst pellets", and not "TiO2".

They _may_ have a titanium dioxide SUBSTRATE (usually it's alumina [Al2O3],
shrug), but that's not the catalyst.

As Bob correctly said, sintered oxide pellet is nothing but an INERT solid
that can withstand high temperatures. Usually a rather thin layer of a
catalytic metal is vapor-deposited on the outsides of the pellets.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
Ignoramus3825 fired this volley
in
:

Yes, but they kept TiO2...

Again, Ig, you should call those "the catalyst pellets", and not
"TiO2".

They _may_ have a titanium dioxide SUBSTRATE (usually it's alumina
[Al2O3],
shrug), but that's not the catalyst.

As Bob correctly said, sintered oxide pellet is nothing but an INERT
solid
that can withstand high temperatures. Usually a rather thin layer
of a
catalytic metal is vapor-deposited on the outsides of the pellets.

Lloyd

TiO2 has some catalytic activity by itself:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2007publica...0-2007-112.PDF
"The absorption of UV light produces electron-hole pairs in the
titanium dioxide particles."
"If instead of recombining with an electron, the hole reaches the
particle's surface, it can react with hydroxyl (OH-) ions from
adsorbed surface water and form highly reactive hydroxyl radicals."

I didn't see any mention of it for destroying toxic wastes that might
have contaminated the metal grating, but Google wouldn't reveal a
proprietary process.

--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-07-24, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus3825 fired this volley in
:

Yes, but they kept TiO2...

Again, Ig, you should call those "the catalyst pellets", and not "TiO2".

They _may_ have a titanium dioxide SUBSTRATE (usually it's alumina [Al2O3],
shrug), but that's not the catalyst.

As Bob correctly said, sintered oxide pellet is nothing but an INERT solid
that can withstand high temperatures. Usually a rather thin layer of a
catalytic metal is vapor-deposited on the outsides of the pellets.

Lloyd, I had no idea, thanks for shedding light on this.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
:

TiO2 has some catalytic activity by itself:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2007publica...2/CEC-500-2007
-112.PDF "The absorption of UV light produces electron-hole pairs in
the titanium dioxide particles."

Jim, you might want to think of the practicality of that in terms of a
mass of the pellets residing in a stack filter full of smokey exhausts!

For all practical purposes, TiO2 is not anything but a refractory
substrate.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-07-24, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus3825 fired this volley in
:

Yes, but they kept TiO2...

Again, Ig, you should call those "the catalyst pellets", and not "TiO2".

They _may_ have a titanium dioxide SUBSTRATE (usually it's alumina [Al2O3],
shrug), but that's not the catalyst.

As Bob correctly said, sintered oxide pellet is nothing but an INERT solid
that can withstand high temperatures. Usually a rather thin layer of a
catalytic metal is vapor-deposited on the outsides of the pellets.

Lloyd, I had no idea, thanks for shedding light on this.

Iggy, do you have any idea what this over was used for? Most of what I've seen has been curing ovens for paint and powder finishes -- low temperature stuff. Is yours something different?

--
Ed Huntress