Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default High Friction soft sticker type material

We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them
into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with
newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the
claw.

It is not easy to increase the strength of the claw, so, I was looking
for some soft material that has an adhesive side and provides a lot of
friction on the other side, but NO sticking (not like glue).

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

An example of a high friction material are those car cell phone mats
that keep the phone in one place on the car dash.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11775 wrote:
We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them
into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with
newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the
claw.

It is not easy to increase the strength of the claw, so, I was looking
for some soft material that has an adhesive side and provides a lot of
friction on the other side, but NO sticking (not like glue).

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

An example of a high friction material are those car cell phone mats
that keep the phone in one place on the car dash.

Thanks

Rubber weather stripping for doors . Comes on different thicknesses and
degrees of stiffness . Or maybe some strips of that cellphone mat stuck on
with double stick tape .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-02-04, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus11775 wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I think that you are right, I ordered a cell phone mat

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 07:42:28 -0600, Ignoramus11775

On 2016-02-04, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus11775 wrote:
[...]

That sounds good. FWIW, a lot of soft grippers are made from silicone,
which is available in a wide range of durometers.

But it sounds like all you need is some foam tape or something like
that. If you want to see what's done in industry, search on SOFT
GRIPPER FOR ROBOT.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 8:16:06 AM UTC-5, Ignoramus11775 wrote:
We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them
into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with
newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the
claw.

It is not easy to increase the strength of the claw, so, I was looking
for some soft material that has an adhesive side and provides a lot of
friction on the other side, but NO sticking (not like glue).

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

An example of a high friction material are those car cell phone mats
that keep the phone in one place on the car dash.

Thanks

We use some adhesive backed neoprene rubber that we get from McMaster Carr.
I could look up a number, but it's probably better for you to just search
on your own....
George H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 10:17:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

the Mc-C number in inventory. 8583k41 (30A)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Feb 2016 07:16:02 -0600, Ignoramus11775
wrote:

We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them
into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with
newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the
claw.

It is not easy to increase the strength of the claw, so, I was looking
for some soft material that has an adhesive side and provides a lot of
friction on the other side, but NO sticking (not like glue).

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

An example of a high friction material are those car cell phone mats
that keep the phone in one place on the car dash.

Two things come to mind.

1) Friction tape is a low-adhesive doublesided black cloth tape which
has a coating that resists slippage. It would be quickly replaceable
at a competition, as well. I haven't bought any in 30+ years, but I
figure it's still available. Ayup, http://tinyurl.com/jmdr7vu .

2) Dip-it liquid plastic coating for tool handles might work for you,
but I doubt it would be as stick as friction tape.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 07:27:00 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Ignoramus11775 wrote:
[...]

Good one, Terry. Doublesided tape with foam shelf liner would both
give it a depth and a stickiness. Better than friction, which would
be 1-dimensional. http://tinyurl.com/jh64cha and
http://tinyurl.com/h797kaf The mounting tape is foam, too, so it will
add to the 3D effect, enveloping any object picked up.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11775 wrote:
We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them
into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with
newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the
claw.

It is not easy to increase the strength of the claw, so, I was looking
for some soft material that has an adhesive side and provides a lot of
friction on the other side, but NO sticking (not like glue).

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

An example of a high friction material are those car cell phone mats
that keep the phone in one place on the car dash.

Thanks

How about coating the claw in plasti-dip paint? That's the stuff you can
dip a tool handle into to give you a rubbery grip. Comes in dip and
spray can in a lot of colors.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them
into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with
newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the
claw.

It is not easy to increase the strength of the claw, so, I was looking
for some soft material that has an adhesive side and provides a lot of
friction on the other side, but NO sticking (not like glue).

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

An example of a high friction material are those car cell phone mats
that keep the phone in one place on the car dash.

Thanks

Printer feed roller repair tape:
http://www.precisionroller.com/searc...oller&page=209

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11775 wrote:

We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them
into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with
newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the
claw.

I don't know about a sticker, exactly, but silicone materials usually are
pretty grippy. If you can get silicone or vinyl tubing and attach it by
wire ties or something like that, it will definitely work. You could get
some large diameter vinyl tubing at the local hardware store and slit it to
make a wide strip.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 5:16:06 AM UTC-8, Ignoramus11775 wrote:
We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw...

The problem is that I have some slippery objects

Maybe put a dab of Shoe Goo on the grip surfaces?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I bought it also, thanks, a good find.

2) Dip-it liquid plastic coating for tool handles might work for you,
but I doubt it would be as stick as friction tape.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11775" wrote in message
news
Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...10,43466,32184

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, the "friction tape" helped.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2016 09:18:13 -0600, Ignoramus12274
wrote:

OK, the "friction tape" helped.

Good.

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.
-- Anna Quindlen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a
program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them
into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with
newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the
claw.

It is not easy to increase the strength of the claw, so, I was looking
for some soft material that has an adhesive side and provides a lot of
friction on the other side, but NO sticking (not like glue).

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

An example of a high friction material are those car cell phone mats
that keep the phone in one place on the car dash.

Thanks

Better to add a vacuum supply and suck .

(Grin)