Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default what type of oil seals are used in the Clausing 1300 vari-drive?

This is a nice 1974 Clausing model 1300 (13x36) lathe I've had since 1985.
Over the past 18 months the vari-drive handle has been getting harder to
turn and the RPM change slower to respond. Have been having, more and more
often, to recalibrate by cranking handle to the slowest speed stop for the
one minute "hold".
Note: ALL vari-drive RPM changes have always been attempted with motor
running. There may have been an exception that I can't recall but I doubt
it.

About 6 months ago the vari-drive handle would back itself (unwind") from
the 45 RPM mark (low range) to the 62 to 75 RPM area. In the last few
weeks the vari-drive handle would not stay at the 45 RPM point unless
forcefully held there by hand. Also lately, it has begun to "unwind" to
the middle of the vari-range.
However, as the handle "unwinds" (clockwise) the RPM does Not Increase.

This past week, I pulled the drive assembly access panel off, to find the
lower vari-drive pulley spread wide open, while the vari-drive control
handle was in the middle of its range. It would not close (become more
narrow) to increase the drive rpm by turn the vari-drive handle. Also, the
pulley half on the double piston side has begun to "rattle".Also, both of
the piston housings with right-angle fittings will move in and out 1/32 to
1/16 in.by hand.
A new small Oil leak now occurs at these fittings (the ones with the steel
tube between them).There seems to be no oil leak at the reservoir or the
hyd. feed tube to the lower assy.That is not to say there may not be an
internal leak within the reservoir housing.

It is a pretty safe bet that I need new seals....lower for sure, upper cam
operated piston in reservoir....maybe.

Question 1: Are these seals standard "O" rings or special Clausing lip or
parachute style seals?

Question 2: Are the seals, if not "O"rings, available from Clausing in
Kalamazoo?

Question 3: Do you guys have any tips for the vari-drive dis-assembly
and/or reassembly and on bleeding any air from the the Hyd. sys?

Question 4: The manual says to install a new belt with the vari-drive
pulley set for highest speed of a range (pulley narrow), but, the pulley
is stuck at lowest speed (wide pulley). With vari-drive apart for new
seals I want to install a vari-drive belt I bought new from Clausing a
number of years ago when they were still available. Will there be a
problem in this situation?

Personal note: I'm in my 70's & my strength, mental & physical ain't near
what it used to be, so notes on handling that "bottom end" will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all of your responses and help, as I do appreciate
it.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...dr-623801-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike wrote:
[...]

Give them a call- they're friendly and have lots of parts. I chatted a few
times before finally placing an order with them. Just have your questions
written down before you call so you can address them all when you speak to
the right person.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 02:18:02 +0000, Mike
wrote:

[...]

Clausing wants $50-80 for the seal kit. Plus $25 shipping

I have a 1501 (15x52) with a similar vari drive. Mine went exactly
as yours is doing..the seals are bad. I went to a very good..good
local seal shop and bought (3) seal kits..made up on the spot by the
shop..for $3.85 each.

The vari drive bushing(s) in the center of your drive pully(s)
probably needs to have the center bushings replaced. Id
strongly..strongly suggest you make them yourself. Clausing will want
about $400 for the bushing(s) and you can make them yourself for the
price of a chunk of bronze or delrin, (depending on your particular
lathe)

Clauing products are very nice, I love my lathe..but they are
expensive as **** to buy parts from.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Cydrome Leader , Mike wrote:
presence wrote:

Give them a call- they're friendly and have lots of parts. I chatted a few

times before finally placing an order with them. Just have your questions
written down before you call so you can address them all when you speak to

the right person.

Thank you. I will call them Monday