Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Honda's New Fuel Injected 2-Stroke

Bringin' braappers back to life. I love it!

http://www.gizmag.com/honda-two-stro...-filing/38529/

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/21/2015 1:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Bringin' braappers back to life. I love it!

http://www.gizmag.com/honda-two-stro...-filing/38529/

Ossa has a direct injection 2 stroke:

https://transmoto.com.au/ossa-direct-injection-two-stroke-trials-bike/

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 21:34:48 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 7/21/2015 1:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Bringin' braappers back to life. I love it!

http://www.gizmag.com/honda-two-stro...-filing/38529/

Ossa has a direct injection 2 stroke:

https://transmoto.com.au/ossa-direct-injection-two-stroke-trials-bike/

Watercooled 2-stroke? That's a very odd looking scoot.

After seeing more trials riding videos lately, I can see where the
kids on the stunt bikes get their inspiration. Trials is amazing.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 7/21/2015 1:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Bringin' braappers back to life. I love it!

http://www.gizmag.com/honda-two-stro...-filing/38529/

Ossa has a direct injection 2 stroke:

https://transmoto.com.au/ossa-direct-injection-two-stroke-trials-bike/

Watercooled 2-stroke? That's a very odd looking scoot.

After seeing more trials riding videos lately, I can see where the
kids on the stunt bikes get their inspiration. Trials is amazing.

Attempting to learn it was a very humbling experience for me. So was
ice racing. I could bumble around the courses but was nowhere near
competitive.
http://www.mvtr.org/

They really give you the reflexes to control a car on ice.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/21/2015 10:05 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Watercooled 2-stroke? That's a very odd looking scoot.

After seeing more trials riding videos lately, I can see where the
kids on the stunt bikes get their inspiration. Trials is amazing.

Have you seen this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTFo1VZW1Uw&index=4&list=PL4210C38B5244551 A

Used go up to Donner Ski Ranch near the summit of I-80, to watch trials
events. Amazing what they can do on those gianormous granite boulders!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/21/2015 10:29 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Attempting to learn it was a very humbling experience for me. So was
ice racing. I could bumble around the courses but was nowhere near
competitive.
http://www.mvtr.org/

My dad had a Montesa 348 Cota. Amazing bike. In the day, on that bike, I
could have done pretty well at an amateur level. But today's riders...
wow. Had to modify the rules, used to be points for coming to a complete
stop in a section, now that's almost a requirement in most sections.
(for non trials riders, points are given in each section for various
infractions, out of bounds, touching ground with feed [dabbing], etc, up
to a max of 5 per section. A perfect score is zero)

Watched a guy at an event scale a near vertical rock wall at least 6'
high. Guy was in his 70's!

Saw a pristine Mick Andrews Replica Ossa not far from me at a reasonable
price. Tempted...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:29:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 7/21/2015 1:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Bringin' braappers back to life. I love it!

http://www.gizmag.com/honda-two-stro...-filing/38529/

Ossa has a direct injection 2 stroke:

https://transmoto.com.au/ossa-direct-injection-two-stroke-trials-bike/

Watercooled 2-stroke? That's a very odd looking scoot.

After seeing more trials riding videos lately, I can see where the
kids on the stunt bikes get their inspiration. Trials is amazing.

Attempting to learn it was a very humbling experience for me. So was

I can imagine. I wanted a bit more speed back then and played on
friends' Hodaka Combat Wombats most often.

ice racing. I could bumble around the courses but was nowhere near
competitive.
http://www.mvtr.org/

They really give you the reflexes to control a car on ice.

That might be the only reason I'd attempt learning it. I don't throw
myself down an ice slope without brakes, either. I water skied.
A buddy had a really tricked Husky 400 we nicknamed The Trencher. It
had a toggle switch throttle. Thank CROM it was reverse rotation.
After riding it once, I said that was enough. I was much happier on a
Yamaha 250 Enduro another friend had. (My Kawasaki 100 wasn't much
offroad.) http://tinyurl.com/oh986yw

I sure miss the smell of burnt castor oil from those old braappers.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

My last serious dirt bike...

http://www.motociclismo.it/ducati-sc...ione-moto-1134

I gave away a Honda 350 single last year..probably should have kept
it..but..playing on dirt wasnt in my goal spread then.

Shrug

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/22/2015 2:31 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

My last serious dirt bike...

http://www.motociclismo.it/ducati-sc...ione-moto-1134

Nice! Dad sold one each of this model in 250 and 350 at our shop in the
early 70's. The 250 went to an older fellow in the next town. Some years
after the shop closed, I'd ride by his place now and then, and would see
it in his garage looking showroom new. Thought several times about
trying to make him an offer and buy it. Well one day a fellow rides up
to the hobby shop my brother worked at, on this pristine 250 Scrambler.
Yup, the very one. Guy paid a grand for it, had about 200 miles on the
odometer. Kicked myself a few times over that.
Had at one time a couple 250s, 350, RT 450 Desmo, spare 450 engine,
parts to build at least one more 250, and all the Ducati inventory from
the shop. Sold it all well before eBay came along. Would be a fortune
today. There's an RT450 on eBay down here, $10k!
Still have a 350 engine, pondering either another Maicati, or build a
street tracker. Lots of smooth dirt roads around here.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The Trials skills were at low speed, like a throttle-controlled
full-lock turn, balancing in place, driving over a stump, crossing a
shallow river and climbing the bank. The river bottom was slippery
rounded boulders and its bank was steep sand with a turf overhang at
the top. I could do them, barely, though I never learned to kiss a
boulder.

I have a Suzuki 185 with trials tires which will do everything
including cruise up the Interstate but in my hands doesn't do any of
them really well. At least it's light enough to muscle out of a mud
pit.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:12:01 +1000, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

I dont have (at the moment) much interest in dirt bikes..and I am
getting a bit older..not sure how well Id heal if I went and played
hard on one. Still got the BMW, the Indian/Royal Enfield and am
planning on going after that Triumph Tiger 650 with sidecar that I
traded for. Sailboats are currently my nut...chuckle...Ill swap off
and play with bikes again probably next summer.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I still visit the places I rode when I was younger, but now in the SUV
to shop at the malls that grew up there.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I live in the desert..so there are plenty of places to ride...for some
value of thousands of square miles. Not much chance of them covering
my areas with shopping malls. Which is a very good thing..I think
(Grin)

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJCvoqKjRFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmQsamuO4L4

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...aft+california

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=13d_1318607927

(G)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 06:26:00 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I live in the desert..so there are plenty of places to ride...for some
value of thousands of square miles. Not much chance of them covering
my areas with shopping malls. Which is a very good thing..I think
(Grin)

Gunner

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...aft+california

Wow, that flood was something else again, wasn't it?

I can attest that you live in Fort Stinkin' Desert, ayup.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I wasn't a star on dirt, either. My first and only motorcycle was the
Kaw, and I got that at the ripe old age of 15-1/2, when I got my
learner's permit in CA. In that 6 months, before I got my driver's
license, every paved road, every dirt road, every back alley, and
every deer trail in and around Vista, CA was ridden by me. Loved it.

Actually, I picked up a CZ 250 in a trade for a scrapper car once, but
never restored it and took it out on the dirt. It was again traded to
the alarm installer the 2nd time illegals broke into my house.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My last serious dirt bike was an 81 Maico 490. Should have kept it but
didn't want to see that best sitting still. Guy I sold it to raced it
for a couple years then sold it. If the company had been able to keep up
with the changes they would likely still be a dominant track bike.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 04:52:32 -0700

I dont have (at the moment) much interest in dirt bikes..and I am
getting a bit older..not sure how well Id heal if I went and played
hard on one. Still got the BMW, the Indian/Royal Enfield and am
planning on going after that Triumph Tiger 650 with sidecar that I
traded for.

If I had more experience riding bike, I'd consider getting myself
one. Were I not the sole source of transportation in the family (the
missus doesn't drive).
But not a Harley. They may look nice but "Son, when I was a kid,
bikers were not all accountants and stock brokers."

Sailboats are currently my nut...chuckle...Ill swap off
and play with bikes again probably next summer.

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 05:57:47 -0700

I dont have (at the moment) much interest in dirt bikes..and I am
getting a bit older..not sure how well Id heal if I went and played
hard on one. Still got the BMW, the Indian/Royal Enfield and am
planning on going after that Triumph Tiger 650 with sidecar that I
traded for. Sailboats are currently my nut...chuckle...Ill swap
off
and play with bikes again probably next summer.

Gunner

I still visit the places I rode when I was younger, but now in the SUV
to shop at the malls that grew up there.

-jsw

I live in the desert..so there are plenty of places to ride...for some
value of thousands of square miles. Not much chance of them covering
my areas with shopping malls. Which is a very good thing..I think
(Grin)

The reports are coming in that the days of "Mall, Shopping, One
Each" are coming to an end.
OTOH, you live in California, where sense and sensibility is just
the title of a book.

Gunner

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 7/21/2015 1:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Bringin' braappers back to life. I love it!

http://www.gizmag.com/honda-two-stro...-filing/38529/

Ossa has a direct injection 2 stroke:

https://transmoto.com.au/ossa-direct-injection-two-stroke-trials-bike/

Jon

So does Mercury and Evintude. LOL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/23/2015 5:26 AM, Steve W. wrote:

My last serious dirt bike was an 81 Maico 490. Should have kept it but
didn't want to see that best sitting still. Guy I sold it to raced it
for a couple years then sold it. If the company had been able to keep up
with the changes they would likely still be a dominant track bike.

Oh yes, my ultimate dream bike. No, I can't ride it near it's potential,
but could always go faster on a Maico than anything else. Handling was
magic. The story of what happened to Maico is quite sad really.
Inter-family rivalry/sabotage...

Jon