Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does this wire rope need to be replaced?

On 07/18/2015 03:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

I wonder if it would be good sword material?

technomaNge
--
Kinda Damascus?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-18, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:40:29 -0500, Ignoramus23196
wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

NICE crane!!

As for the cable...get yourself 10 gallons of diesel fuel, add about a
gallon of cheap 10-30 weight oil..and a bug sprayer or big floppy
paintbrush and wet down the cable on the drum. Raise the boom as far
as it will go and unspool as much cable as you can and keep "painting"
the cable with the diesel and oil until you cant let anymore out, then
soak whatever is still on the spool ..then roller her back up and you
should be good to go for a while.

I looked at the photos and the cable looks pretty good. That surface
rust isnt much..I was looking for broken strands..looks fine.

After you diesel/oil the cable..it will bleed rust for a time..so dont
park it on concrete, or where you cant get a pressure washer on it.

Gunner

Gunner, thanks in general, but when seen in person, you can see that
the wire rope is rusted bad. I already bought replacement wire rope, I
will oil it generously. I oiled wire rope on the winch of the semi
trailer 6 months ago and it does not rust at all. I am just deciding
between way oil and used hydraulic oil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-19, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:32:00 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 11:10:44 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:21:17 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

It cannot be used for wire rope slings, I think. as it is so soft and flexible.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

You should have had your readers on for that pic, Gramps. The rust
cakes on top of that cable were deep. Last pic, magnified.

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...pe-lubrication

May we ask what you paid per foot?

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Does this wire rope need to be tightened around homo mark wieber'sneck

wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

You should

We should string wieber up with this wire rope.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 18 Jul 2015 18:09:02 -0700
wrote:
The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

I've even seen it used as raw material for knife blades.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 20:43:44 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

Yeah...I know you weren't maritime. "Rope" is always metal. "Line" is
fiber. "Cable" is electrical.

G (old Navy)
Lloyd

G (Old Army and oil field trash)

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

It cannot be used for wire rope slings, I think. as it is so soft and flexible.

It makes EXCELLENT slings! However..nearly everyone has gone over to
nylon lanyards and in some places..its law for certain weight ranges.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

You should have had your readers on for that pic, Gramps. The rust
cakes on top of that cable were deep. Last pic, magnified.

I did, sonny. The wraps were filled with dirt and rust, its true. Now
if Iggy took out a angle grinder with a cup wheel on it...and gave it
a quick cleaning..I think we would find its in much better shape than
one would think.

Shrug...between lumbering as a kid..and working for a hell of a long
time in the oil patch..steel cable is not..not unfamiliar to me.

But hey...Im 2500 miles away and frankly..I dont care much..but
replacing 200 feet of it is going to be a bit..spendy, when purchasing
decent line.

http://unirope.com/products/ropes/wi...ope-selection/

There are several types that would do him a good job...the Super 8-R
looks quite good.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

I've even seen it used as raw material for knife blades.
--
pyotr filipivich

Works pretty good for knife blades..but you really need a good anvil
and a forge to heat it properly..along with a damned good hammer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 23:23:45 -0500, technomaNge
wrote:

On 07/18/2015 03:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

I wonder if it would be good sword material?

technomaNge

1/2" cable will forge out to about 1" in width and no more than 3/16
thick..so its simply not massive enough to make anything other than a
sword cane out of...is my estimate.

Remember..that cable contains a lot..lot of air. Now if you were using
3/4" 19x11 cable...might work out for something one could use.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 22:36:30 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Being 1/2" it would be great 5 string wire fence. Oil well
stem tubing posts. Wonder what the sag in the center of a
length of 20 feet between posts is. Might have to go to 10'.
The force to string it tight - through eyes bolted to the pipe
might be just what the crane can help with. Attach and pull back
and then clamp it off. Normally a loop back into a bolted clamp.

Remember what summer heat and winter ice does. Maybe a spring
in the end to take up the slack.

We likely would tighten in Winter near cold day and then summer sag and
back flat again come winter.

Martin

Ayup..real common here on horse property near the earl patch

wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

Cool new toy, dude.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

There's no question about that. If you check the law, I'm sure you'll
find that you can't lift anything until it has been replaced, even if
it's on your own property. Your county/city/state may vary.

Talk to a local building inspector (or a friendly OSHA guy) for more
tips. But I thought you already researched erections in Illinoise.

I will replace the wire rope promptly in a couple of days. I agree
with you in general.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What kind of wire rope did you get and how much did you buy?

Anti spin or something else?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
I'd talk to experts. The thing about way oil is it is
thick and sticky. Less dripping and evap off as with lighter oils.
Made to stick.

But check with cable guys and see what grade they use. I think
hydraulic would be a bit to light being an outdoor crane.

Martin

On 2015-07-18, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Hum - keep an eye out on a 55gal drum of way oil ? :-)

I had such a drum... You think that it is better that hydraulic
oil,
for lubing wire rope?

I stored my tractor with the home-made hydraulic bucket outdoors under
a deck that leaked slighty.

LPS-3 protected the bare metal from rust except where hydraulic oil
leaks washed it off.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

Yeah...I know you weren't maritime. "Rope" is always metal. "Line"
is
fiber. "Cable" is electrical.

G (old Navy)
Lloyd

Navy definitions are very far from standard English, like saying
"head" for what the rest of us associate with our other end.

https://www.strategypage.com/humor/a...s/20020406.asp

-jsw

wrote:

I just bought this Grove crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Grove-Crane/

It does work, in general.

Cool new toy, dude.

I am concerned that the wire rope on it is too rusted and may need to
be replaced. I have a couple of pictures on that webpage above and I
wanted to see what you think, whether that wire rope is no longer safe
to use. I have a feeeling that it may be so.

There's no question about that. If you check the law, I'm sure you'll
find that you can't lift anything until it has been replaced, even if
it's on your own property. Your county/city/state may vary.

Talk to a local building inspector (or a friendly OSHA guy) for more
tips. But I thought you already researched erections in Illinoise.

I will replace the wire rope promptly in a couple of days. I agree
with you in general.

Drill through the posts. Connect a threaded rod to the end of the
cable. Run the end (rod) through the post and a stack of die springs
and crank the nut down to compress the die springs and tension the
cable. Self adjusting tensioned cable fence.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 18 Jul 2015 22:37:35 -0700

wrote:
The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

I've even seen it used as raw material for knife blades.
--
pyotr filipivich

Works pretty good for knife blades..but you really need a good anvil
and a forge to heat it properly..along with a damned good hammer

"beat on is like a smith with 'issues'."
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

1/2" cable is pretty handy for many things

I've even seen it used as raw material for knife blades.
--
pyotr filipivich

Works pretty good for knife blades..but you really need a good anvil
and a forge to heat it properly..along with a damned good hammer

"beat on is like a smith with 'issues'."
--
pyotr filipivich

The large majority of quality wire rope is made of plain,
medium-carbon steel (1040 - 1050). It's a little soft for knife
blades.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-18, Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, thanks in general, but when seen in person, you can see that
the wire rope is rusted bad. I already bought replacement wire rope,
will oil it generously. I oiled wire rope on the winch of the semi
trailer 6 months ago and it does not rust at all. I am just deciding
between way oil and used hydraulic oil.

This may be helpful:
http://www.hanessupply.com/content/pdfs/wirerope101.pdf

It gives me a few things to check on the A frame hoist I've been using
to stack logs.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-19, technomaNge wrote:
On 07/18/2015 03:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

I wonder if it would be good sword material?

It would be a good "plow" material, being made from "Extra Enhanced
Plow Steel".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

19x7, 1/2" thick, extra improved plow steel, 352 feet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-19, Gunner Asch wrote:

You should have had your readers on for that pic, Gramps. The rust
cakes on top of that cable were deep. Last pic, magnified.

I did, sonny. The wraps were filled with dirt and rust, its true. Now
if Iggy took out a angle grinder with a cup wheel on it...and gave it
a quick cleaning..I think we would find its in much better shape than
one would think.

Shrug...between lumbering as a kid..and working for a hell of a long
time in the oil patch..steel cable is not..not unfamiliar to me.

But hey...Im 2500 miles away and frankly..I dont care much..but
replacing 200 feet of it is going to be a bit..spendy, when purchasing
decent line.

http://unirope.com/products/ropes/wi...ope-selection/

There are several types that would do him a good job...the Super 8-R
looks quite good.

You do sound like you know something, indeed...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

NICELY done! What kind was it?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.alpind.com/pdf_files/2011...nformation.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:06:33 -0500, Ignoramus22127

On 2015-07-19, Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

Just an old country boy..nothing more nor less.

Gonna use the old cable as a fence?

Might help prevent those burglars ripping you off so easy. Did they
ever get caught?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 16:01:28 -0500, Ignoramus22127

On 2015-07-19, technomaNge wrote:
On 07/18/2015 03:32 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

The old wire should be good scrap steel for someone.
Martin

Will make a great fence when strung between poles

Hey could sell it to a Yuppie "artist" for lots of money.

I wonder if it would be good sword material?

It would be a good "plow" material, being made from "Extra Enhanced
Plow Steel".

"Plow steel" is plain carbon steel, medium- to hight-carbon. It's an
old term but today it applies mostly to the steel used in wire rope.

Most wire rope steel is around 1050; rarely over 1070. Higher carbon
is stronger, but it also has less ductility and elongation. So
breaking a few fibers becomes more of a risk, because it stretches
less before breaking, so it gives you less warning when it's ready to
break.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

this is what I bought:

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Riggin...-2-Lineal-Foot

Short URL:
http://goo.gl/ra3BZ0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good enough. Dual lays so it wont unwind, decent core and wire. Well
done.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not too bad. Buy a spool or just the length you needed?

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Just the length I needed, plus extra 2 feet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 12:26:04 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus3944 wrote:

It cannot be used for wire rope slings, I think. as it is so soft and flexible.

Retired elevator wire rope is commonly woven into blasting mats. We see them all the time around here when they're blasting for new McMansions on the cliffs.

wire rope fittings? JimK[_2_] UK diy 31 March 16th 10 10:42 AM
Wire rope Q DrollTroll Metalworking 33 October 12th 08 02:01 AM
el wire rope lighting electroluminescent FLEXIBLE NEON WIRE (KPT SERIES) [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 5th 06 10:14 PM
el wire rope lighting electroluminescent FLEXIBLE NEON WIRE (KPT SERIES) [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 5th 06 10:13 PM
Wire rope question SteveB Home Repair 5 September 27th 05 09:34 AM