Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical - what's wrong with this?

I don't mean technically or Code, but we have a well and we have noway of knowing when there is a pump problem until there is no water. So here's my thinking.

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this then drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

This happens in pump-cycles until the hole is big enough and we run out of water. We are not aware of the increased frequency of the pump running until the pump output matches the hole exhaust capability.

So, not only do we have to pay $700 to have the pump lifted and pipe replaced, we will have paid a bunch on wasted power as it can be a few months before the hole is big enough to cause a noticeable issue.

I have one of these and very pleased with it.
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy...ds=power+meter

I am thinking of getting one of these and it's female counterpart.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-51...rds=power+plug

Then wire the plug set into one leg of the pump 240 and Neutral and plug the meter in between. I can check the Cost on the meter regularly and will know if there is trouble brewing.

**Helpful** thoughts?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" fired this volley in
:

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe
about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this
then drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

Dave, the first thing (not electrical, sorry) that comes to mind is to
deal differently with what must be a LOT of sand in your water!

Just replacing the bottom 10' of the lift pipe with something more
abrasion-resistant would seem to be a good thing.

I personally don't have a submersible, anymore. 'Had one at my last
house, but now, although our well is 180' deep, the water table is within
10' of the surface, so we use a common above-ground jet pump.

But when I had a submersible, it lasted 23 years in regular residential
service (until we move...), along with some irrigation. We had limestone
formations, not sand.

I'm sure someone else has had this problem, and the well/pump industry
likely has a solution to it. (dunno... something like a 'droppable' HDPE
liner, or something, so it can be serviced without pulling the whole pipe
string). If the HDPE were the full length of the string, it could
probably be replaced by the homeowner at less cost that hiring it out.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 08:53:06 -0700, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

I don't mean technically or Code, but we have a well and we have noway
of knowing when there is a pump problem until there is no water. So
here's my thinking.

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe
about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this then
drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

This happens in pump-cycles until the hole is big enough and we run out
of water. We are not aware of the increased frequency of the pump
running until the pump output matches the hole exhaust capability.

So, not only do we have to pay $700 to have the pump lifted and pipe
replaced, we will have paid a bunch on wasted power as it can be a few
months before the hole is big enough to cause a noticeable issue.

I have one of these and very pleased with it.
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy...ty-Monitor/dp/

B00E945SJG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435938092&sr=8-2&keywords=power+meter

I am thinking of getting one of these and it's female counterpart.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-51...r-Grounded/dp/

B000FKBZ7M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1435938149&sr=8-15&keywords=power+plug

Then wire the plug set into one leg of the pump 240 and Neutral and plug
the meter in between. I can check the Cost on the meter regularly and
will know if there is trouble brewing.

**Helpful** thoughts?

Dave

Your fancy wattmeter will only read half of what the pump is actually
using. You probably knew that already.

Make sure your fancy wattmeter can stand the current draw -- a normal
outlet is 10 or 15 amps; your pump may need much more.

All you really need is an instrument that'll show accrued time. If you
could get an old mechanical clock that had a "days" dial then you could
use that. Or just an old mechanical clock, if you looked at it often
enough.

If you don't like my mechanical clock idea, and if your wattmeter gizmo
can't handle the pump current, wire a socket into one leg of the pump
supply as planned (if you want to be Electrically Correct fuse it for 15
A), plug your gizmo into it, and plug a load, like a 100W light bulb,
into the gizmo. Then your total energy usage will be a measure of time.
It won't be perfect, and you'll need to make sure that your light bulb
isn't burnt out, but you'll get a reading on pump usage.

For that matter, if there's someplace in your house close to the pump
circuit where you're to be found often, just put the light there and keep
an eye on it. Even if the pump house is outside, a 100W light bulb
should be visible most of the time.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:53:06 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

[...]

May or may not work, depending on whether the meter looks at the hot
or neutral leg to sense current. It'd be easier to install a
running-time meter in the pressure switch circuit, and less worries
about code compliance.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271092460905

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
[...]

I have a Kill-A-Watt-EZ on the fridge and yesterday I also datalogged
its temperature cycling and run current, to determine the duty cycle
and performance margin at 72F room temperature. It costs me $3.52 per
month right now.

In my experience, doing the same thing in midwinter with my backup
electric heat, this LED that turns on when current flows would be more
useful if you can locate it in your normal living space.
http://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-R.../dp/B006K3O1MY

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/03/2015 10:53 AM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe
about 10" above the pump connection. ...

I'm like Lloyd--whassup w/ that!!!????

I'd fix the problem, not monitor the symptoms.

But, as another one or two said, to monitor the pump what you really
want is simply a run-time indicator.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:04:06 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

"Dave, I can't do that" fired this volley in
:

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe
about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this
then drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

Dave, the first thing (not electrical, sorry) that comes to mind is to
deal differently with what must be a LOT of sand in your water!

D'oh. I was going to mention that, and forgot.

+1. We've replaced our well pump once in our ten years here, and that
was due to rank stupidity, involving a severe water leak that went
unnoticed and pumped the well dry.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:04:09 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Thanks Lloyd,

Not sand it is just normal water abrasion. It's why pebbles in streams are round.

Well is 430-ft, water level last checked 316-ft. I two well-company people seriously doubt it is sand at the level. I asked and they said, normal water erosion. I defer to them and unfortunately no band-aid process available as the pipe is in 21' lengths with couplings joining each length.

Many out here have the problem that's why the well-companies can charge 700-bucks for three hours work. I am looking into continuous pipe and support cables for the next time that way I can lift it myself. It'll only cost $350 to lift it, but I bet they can think of a good reason to charge 700 anyway. Capitalism and a captive market.

Thanks anyway though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

D'oh. I should have known you could get those off the shelf.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:13:48 AM UTC-7, Tim Wescott wrote:

Make sure your fancy wattmeter can stand the current draw -- a normal
outlet is 10 or 15 amps; your pump may need much more.

It's a 240v 1.5hp motor (1134-Watt) and I doubt the meter is directly in series with the load. Might be wrong, have been before.

Or just an old mechanical clock, if you looked at it often

Great idea, thanks, I will see what's at the local junk shops next time in town. Must surely be able to find one of those old flap-clocks.

The pump, supply and connections are 100-feet from the house and not visible and, I would prefer not to be adding 100-Watts extra to the costs.

I am going with the flap-clock, if I can find one. Brilliant thought, thanks again.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" fired this volley in
:

Not sand it is just normal water abrasion. It's why pebbles in streams
are round.

NOSIR! Pebbles in streams are round because they abrade against other
pebbles and sand.

If "normal water erosion" is the culprit, then you either have VERY
alkaline or very acid water. My pump, on a plain string of iron pipe,
lasted 23 years (and probably more) with no such leaks.

Water, all by itself, ain't very abrasive, Dave. Yeah... it can slowly
erode things, but very, very slowly, and certainly not through 3/16" to
1/4" of iron pipe in the time you're quoting.

You have something else going on down there.

Besides... even if 'normal' erosion were the problem, why not seek a
solution to the problem, instead of a way to monitor it?

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 4.170:

in the time you're quoting.

Well... that was presumptuous, because you didn't QUOTE a time! But if
it's enough of a problem to monitor, it must occur pretty often.

(sorry for the 'mental leap')
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:22:17 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

You have something else going on down there.

Besides... even if 'normal' erosion were the problem, why not seek a
solution to the problem, instead of a way to monitor it?

The ONLY solution is to replace the pipe. Which you may not be aware is quite light wall pipe, more like tubing and also they have PVC pipes as well. Pun intended. As it happens the PVC lasts longer than the gal-steel and I had them put PVC as the bottom piece this time.

I think the well people out here know what they are talking about. I am just the messenger. If they tell me it is not sand and it is water then for me, it is water. There are thousands of wells out here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" fired this volley in
:

The ONLY solution is to replace the pipe. Which you may not be aware
is quite light wall pipe,

suggestion_mode
Whatever... I'm just betting if you did even the most minor bit of
"looking around" instead of asking advice on a usenet forum, you'd
probably find a ready-made solution to your problem.

But it's your problem. Handle it any way you want.

/suggestion_mode

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 11:10:34 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:04:09 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Thanks Lloyd,

Not sand it is just normal water abrasion. It's why pebbles in streams are round.

Pebbles in streams are round because they roll around against each
other in the running water. Water itself is a lubricant, not an
abrasive

Well is 430-ft, water level last checked 316-ft. I two well-company people seriously doubt it is sand at the level. I asked and they said, normal water erosion. I defer to them and unfortunately no band-aid process available as the pipe is in 21' lengths with couplings joining each length.

Many out here have the problem that's why the well-companies can charge 700-bucks for three hours work. I am looking into continuous pipe and support cables for the next time that way I can lift it myself. It'll only cost $350 to lift it, but I bet they can think of a good reason to charge 700 anyway. Capitalism and a captive market.

Thanks anyway though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
fired this volley in
:

Pebbles in streams are round because they roll around against each
other in the running water. Water itself is a lubricant, not an
abrasive

What I said, Clare. But the "Well Guys" (who just MIGHT have a
financial
interest in the results... nah...) said "No way -- WATER is an
abrasive!".
So it MUST be true! G

This claims that water becomes more corrosive where it mixes with
oxygen:
http://inspectapedia.com/water/Well_Casing_Leaks.php

Differing oxygen levels are said to be the reason why stainless
corrodes in some areas under a boat. The concentration gradient
creates a weak battery.

-jsw

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:mn70j0$k1e
:

This claims that water becomes more corrosive where it mixes with
oxygen:
http://inspectapedia.com/water/Well_Casing_Leaks.php

Differing oxygen levels are said to be the reason why stainless
corrodes in some areas under a boat. The concentration gradient
creates a weak battery.

If his pump is moving air as well as water, there's a LOT more wrong than
just water 'abrasion'.

This whole subject is silly (no... STUPID). You solve the problem, not
'monitor the problem.

Our friggin' government is in LOVE with "monitoring the problems", but
they FIX nothing. 'Seems like this is a 'government solution'.

duh...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 18:00:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

.4.170...
fired this volley in
:

Pebbles in streams are round because they roll around against each
other in the running water. Water itself is a lubricant, not an
abrasive

What I said, Clare. But the "Well Guys" (who just MIGHT have a
financial
interest in the results... nah...) said "No way -- WATER is an
abrasive!".
So it MUST be true! G

This claims that water becomes more corrosive where it mixes with
oxygen:
http://inspectapedia.com/water/Well_Casing_Leaks.php

Differing oxygen levels are said to be the reason why stainless
corrodes in some areas under a boat. The concentration gradient
creates a weak battery.

-jsw

Nope. Stainless corrodes because of a lack of oxygen in the water,
while the article seemed to say that water near the surface contained
more oxygen.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/artic...-corrosion.asp
(crevice corrosion)
or
http://www.passagemaker.com/channels...and-corrosion/

But as water is made up of oxygen, in part, I suspect that the term
should be "free oxygen".
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/3/2015 2:53 PM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:22:17 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

You have something else going on down there.

Indeed!

I think the well people out here know what they are talking about. I am just the messenger. If they tell me it is not sand and it is water then for me, it is water. There are thousands of wells out here.

There are thousands of wells around here, too, and I have never heard of
a pipe being worn through. I've been in my house 42 years and have
replaced the well pipe twice, but not because of any holes.

As for the well people, I'd guess that it's what they've always heard
and nobody has a better (real) answer.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. fired this volley in
:

But as water is made up of oxygen, in part, I suspect that the term
should be "free oxygen".

As an ersatz chemist, I'd have to say "dissolved oxygen".

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

There are thousands of wells around here, too, and I have never heard of
a pipe being worn through. I've been in my house 42 years and have
replaced the well pipe twice, but not because of any holes.

ALL the properties within a 10 mile radius north and east and 28 miles
south and west are on wells. Tens of thousands.

The cited problem is NOT a problem unless you're pumping sand or have been
sold tinfoil tubing in replacement for "pipe".

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 19:27:56 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 7/3/2015 2:53 PM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:22:17 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

You have something else going on down there.

Indeed!

I think the well people out here know what they are talking about. I am just the messenger. If they tell me it is not sand and it is water then for me, it is water. There are thousands of wells out here.

There are thousands of wells around here, too, and I have never heard of
a pipe being worn through. I've been in my house 42 years and have
replaced the well pipe twice, but not because of any holes.

As for the well people, I'd guess that it's what they've always heard
and nobody has a better (real) answer.

Bob

The company I work for every morning insures a lot of "well people",
as well as a lot of "alternative health practitioners."
They both have about the same level of "real" knowledge, on the
whole.
They are all "good people" - the well people drill a lot of good
wells, and the alternative health practitioners - RMTs in particular,
give a lot of people pain relief - but their explanations of how
things work generally have very little scientific basis.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-03, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

I don't mean technically or Code, but we have a well and we have noway
of knowing when there is a pump problem until there is no water. So
here's my thinking.

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe
about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this then
drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

This happens in pump-cycles until the hole is big enough and we run
out of water. We are not aware of the increased frequency of the pump
running until the pump output matches the hole exhaust capability.

So, not only do we have to pay $700 to have the pump lifted and pipe
replaced, we will have paid a bunch on wasted power as it can be a few
months before the hole is big enough to cause a noticeable issue.

Is it possible to get glass-lined pipe, so the holes won't
appear? I know that there are very short ones for going between a hot
water heater and the lines, to minimize electrolytic damage.

I have one of these and very pleased with it.
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy...ds=power+meter

Looks like a clone of the Kill-A-Watt which has been sold for
some time now. I have one, but the maximum current is 15A, and your
pump motor may well draw more than that -- since it has a lot of work to
do to get the water up to usable level.

And -- the KWH readings would be off by a factor of two, as it
is assuming 120 VAC not 240 VAC.

And the manual for mine suggests that there are 240VAC versions
as well.

O.K. Here is someone who had them, but is currently out of
stock:

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Meter-100A-Volt-3-Wire/dp/B00GMZRXE8

This one, however, can handle 240 VAC and current up to 50A.

http://www.amazon.com/Efergy-Elite-Wireless-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B003XOXU02/ref=pd_sbs_328_3/179-7600238-8684324?ie=UTF8&refRID=033ZF6P6N7RMW17Z397Q

I am thinking of getting one of these and it's female counterpart.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-51...rds=power+plug

Then wire the plug set into one leg of the pump 240 and Neutral and
plug the meter in between. I can check the Cost on the meter regularly
and will know if there is trouble brewing.

This is a bit of a kluge, and rather dangerous as it would
interrupt only *one* side of the 240 VAC when unplugged.

However, the second one which I pointed to is still sold, and is
two parts -- one part in the breaker box (where you can clamp it on the
leads for your pump breaker's output only), *and* you can read it from
elsewhere in the house.

It is somewhat more expensive, but I think worth it over time.

I don't have the manual for it, but I suspect that you will want
to do something like reset it once a month after noting that month's
usage and perhaps keep a log of how much, too. Probably not a bad idea
to change the receiver's battery just after noting your reading and
before resetting.

An alternative might be to have a relay sensing the current
drawn by the motor and starting a timer, and if the pump runs more than
a certain pre-set time, to sound an alarm -- or, (with another timer
started when the current drops out) sound an alarm if the pump re-starts
too soon.

**Helpful** thoughts?

I hope that these will be helpful.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John B." wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 18:00:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
message
8.4.170...
fired this volley in
:

[...]

Here is the relevant corrosion mechanism those articles omitted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_cell
"Concentration cell corrosion occurs when two or more areas of a metal
surface are in contact with different concentrations of the same
solution."

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:mn7cqm$2di
:

Here is the relevant corrosion mechanism those articles omitted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_cell
"Concentration cell corrosion occurs when two or more areas of a metal
surface are in contact with different concentrations of the same
solution."

Jim,
First, the phenonemnon you're referring to almost never happens in a
'mixing' environment. Second, the degree of 'concentration' must be
significant -- not horribly high, but higher than what you'd get from
differences in the stream in a well.

Third... nah... not in a well. You don't see those sorts of things going
on in a water well intended for human consumption.

This case is pure-and-simple mechanical abrasion from particulates. I'll
bet there's a 4' deep 'sand pack' in that lift pipe before it turns on,
which gets veritably BLASTED against the side of the pipe for a second or
two every time the them pump comes on.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4 Jul 2015 01:29:40 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-07-03, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

[...]

The 120 volt one won't work It needs to measure line to neutral - and
the 240 volt pump does not use the neutral. You need a 240 volt
kill-a- watt or clone. They are readilly available in the UK and
Europe where 240 line to line is atandard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-03, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:13:48 AM UTC-7, Tim Wescott wrote:

Make sure your fancy wattmeter can stand the current draw -- a normal
outlet is 10 or 15 amps; your pump may need much more.

It's a 240v 1.5hp motor (1134-Watt) and I doubt the meter is directly
in series with the load. Might be wrong, have been before.

O.K. Less than 5 Amps then (except perhaps during starting
surges).

But the typical Kill-A-Watt both measures the voltage (across
the neutral-to-hot span) and the current delivered through the hot. The
latter could be with the current fed through a shunt, or the hot wire
threaded through a current transformer. But it *does* have to measure
the current as well as the voltage to calculate the watts load.

Or just an old mechanical clock, if you looked at it often

Great idea, thanks, I will see what's at the local junk shops next
time in town. Must surely be able to find one of those old flap-clocks.

The pump, supply and connections are 100-feet from the house and not
visible and, I would prefer not to be adding 100-Watts extra to the
costs.

Presumably, the power comes from the breaker box in the house,
so a relay could sense the current and turn on a lamp -- or a clock.
And the lamp doesn't have to be a big 100W one, a small LED light could
be sufficient to see. Mount it where you look when sitting down a lot.
Perhaps over a TV if you watch a lot of TV.

I am going with the flap-clock, if I can find one. Brilliant thought, thanks again.

Best if you control it with a relay, so it can be in the house
where you can see it frequently -- and perhaps reset it to 00:00 every
night.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-07-03, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

[...]

The software that comes with the Radio Shack PC-interfaced meter
220-0087 auto-scales the graph of its readings on a computer, so you
can connect it to a clamp-on amp probe or split-core current
transformer
http://www.amazon.com/0-01-120A-0-5M.../dp/B005FIFT4E

on the pump lead and record the pump cycling on and off.
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/rad...r/2200087.html

Try it in the store, they don't have the best quality control history.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
:

[...]

Did you notice this:
"On the other hand, as corrosion in a well casing may be local to the
usual top of the static head in the well, the repair sleeve approach
may make sense."
That's the outer casing where water meets air, not within the delivery
pipe.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I don't mean technically or Code, but we have a well and we have noway of knowing when there is a pump problem until there is no water. So here's my thinking.

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this then drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

So why haven't you put a rubber baby buggy bumper around the pipe
there during one of these repair sessions, Dave? This would head off
the repair instead of just letting you know when it wore through. I
have seen bumpers you can install on the flexi poly line so it doesn't
wear through. (Where the hell did I see that?) Googlit.

This happens in pump-cycles until the hole is big enough and we run out of water. We are not aware of the increased frequency of the pump running until the pump output matches the hole exhaust capability.

So, not only do we have to pay $700 to have the pump lifted and pipe replaced, we will have paid a bunch on wasted power as it can be a few months before the hole is big enough to cause a noticeable issue.

I have one of these and very pleased with it.
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy...ds=power+meter

Wattmeters are great. I have a 3P Kill-a-Watt and check every new toy
I buy with it. It's interesting that all of the 9w LED bulbs are only
taking anywhere from 4.5 to 6w of draw, but they're bloody bright, so
it's a moot point to me.

I am thinking of getting one of these and it's female counterpart.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-51...rds=power+plug

Then wire the plug set into one leg of the pump 240 and Neutral and plug the meter in between. I can check the Cost on the meter regularly and will know if there is trouble brewing.

**Helpful** thoughts?

I'd rather fix the problem NOW than just see it developing sooner.
How about you?

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 9:04:09 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Thanks Lloyd,

Not sand it is just normal water abrasion. It's why pebbles in streams are round.

This is an INTERNAL abrasion? OK, forget what I already wrote.

Well is 430-ft, water level last checked 316-ft. I two well-company people seriously doubt it is sand at the level. I asked and they said, normal water erosion. I defer to them and unfortunately no band-aid process available as the pipe is in 21' lengths with couplings joining each length.

Many out here have the problem that's why the well-companies can charge 700-bucks for three hours work. I am looking into continuous pipe and support cables for the next time that way I can lift it myself. It'll only cost $350 to lift it, but I bet they can think of a good reason to charge 700 anyway. Capitalism and a captive market.

If it's flex, why can't you lift it yourself? Between the drop pipe,
wiring, and safety rope, "it shouldn't be too hard" g, especially
with a hole at the bottom, allowing all that water weight to go away.

G'luck.

I'm considering installing a pitless adapter so I can sink the manual
pump into the well casing alongside my submersible drop pipe. I
already have the new lead-free brass foot valve, PVC pump, and PVC
pipes. Water level is 18 or so feet.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 11:53:32 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:22:17 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

You have something else going on down there.

Besides... even if 'normal' erosion were the problem, why not seek a
solution to the problem, instead of a way to monitor it?

The ONLY solution is to replace the pipe. Which you may not be aware is quite light wall pipe, more like tubing and also they have PVC pipes as well. Pun intended. As it happens the PVC lasts longer than the gal-steel and I had them put PVC as the bottom piece this time.

I think the well people out here know what they are talking about. I am just the messenger. If they tell me it is not sand and it is water then for me, it is water. There are thousands of wells out here.

It's micro-sand in the water, vs. granular.

--
Another belief of mine: that everyone else my age is an adult,
whereas I am merely in disguise.
-- Margaret Atwood
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:22:14 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
[...]

I certainly agree with Lloyd

Gunner, oil field trash for 40 yrs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Which is why Zinc anodes are placed..so the electrolysis eats the zinc
and not the steels

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:41:42 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John B. fired this volley in
:

But as water is made up of oxygen, in part, I suspect that the term
should be "free oxygen".

As an ersatz chemist, I'd have to say "dissolved oxygen".

Lloyd

Probably but as water is, what? 1/3rd oxygen. "Dihydrogen monoxide",
which is terrible stuff. I read somewhere that everyone that consumes
even tiny amounts is either already dead, or will die.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 21:29:52 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
message
68.4.170...
fired this volley in
:

[...]

Yes, Yes. But the common "crevice corrosion" that effects stainless
stuff below the water line on a boat is something different. It is a
dissolving of the protective coating on the surface of the
"stainless". See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crevice_corrosion

I suspect that finding a body of water that varied in concentration of
the same solution within the length of a boat might be difficult.
Certainly the ocean is never still :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. fired this volley in
:

I read somewhere that everyone that consumes
even tiny amounts is either already dead, or will die.

Some chemists say that the correct term is not "dihydrogen monoxide", but
for specific reasons, Hydrogen Hydroxide.

H(OH), in sufficient concentration, will also prevent oxygen from being
absorbed by the lungs. Many people have died from H(OH)'s effects on
oxygen absorption.

It's dangerous, damaging stuff! Hundreds of Billions of Dollars worth of
damage to property and infrastructure can be attributed to exposure to
it.

It's even been known to wear holes through iron well pipes.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/03/2015 1:53 PM, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 11:22:17 AM UTC-7, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

You have something else going on down there.

Besides... even if 'normal' erosion were the problem, why not seek a
solution to the problem, instead of a way to monitor it?

The ONLY solution is to replace the pipe. Which you may not be aware
is quite light wall pipe, more like tubing and also they have PVC
pipes as well. Pun intended. As it happens the PVC lasts longer than
thegal-steel and I had them put PVC as the bottom piece this time.

Why would you not run at least Sch40? The well here also pumps some
micro-sand but has never come close to ever wearing thru a wall and has
only had one (corrosion) pinhole leak in the time since it was drilled
in '64 and that wasn't until mid-80s or so. Typically used here is Sch
80 PVC now with the top joint galvanized for the strength at the upper
connection...

At the location you're talking, sounds to me like missing a snubber as
somebody else mentioned and it's more than likely not the water causing
the wear but the flexibility and the pipe is rubbing on the casing when
it starts from the starting torque reaction...

Either way, there certainly ought to be a solution other than monitoring
for leaks and replacing so frequently...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

Years ago I helped a buddy pull a deep wind mill pump with steel pipe
to replace the leather gasket. We used a lever, some chains to grab
the pipe, and and a couple pieces of steel bar bolted together around
the pipe to secure it between lifts. We unscrewed each section as we
got it above the sleeve. It wasn't hard particularly. Like pulling
my pump it was just tedious manual labor requiring a little muscle.

I pulled 180' of sch-80 steel with a 5hp submersible on the end of the
string -- myself, alone, without a well rig, much as you did.

I erected a short derrick of wood and used a chain tackle. As you say...
just tedious. It took me several hours, but the only time I broke a
sweat was trying to loosen some of the couplings. (gotta get some longer
pipe wrenches! G)

With the same 8-ton chain tackle, I can't imagine it being any harder to
lift a 360' string... just longer.

Lloyd