Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chilly evening ...

I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I need to keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:2Dirw.1132286
:

I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19ø and dropping , and I need to keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

I'm in Virginia right now, and it's 13 as I post, dropping to a predicted
5F by morning.

That's still nothing compared to the upper midwest!
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/07/2015 4:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I need to keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

We're about that, too, but are west of the deepest location of the
high--noticed it was 10-15F cooler just 100 mi or so N and E...

But, it's cleared entirely now so it'll definitely be nippy in the AM...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/7/2015 5:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I need to keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

Just drink faster. G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in
news:2Dirw.1132286 :

I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19ø and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

I'm in Virginia right now, and it's 13 as I post, dropping to a
predicted 5F by morning.

That's still nothing compared to the upper midwest!
Lloyd

Prediction for Mountain View has dropped every time I've checked the last
couple of hours ... just now it is down to 8° and we're usually about 3° to
5° colder out here in The Holler. And you're right , the upper midwest is a
place I don't wanna be . I saw enough subzero when I lived out in Utahahaha
..
Tonight will certainly test my pipe insulation ! I did go around the
house and trailer today and checked for gaps and holes in the skirting ,
tightened up a few spots and I'm glad I did now . I also made sure the
outside faucet was well insulated - it's upline from the main cutoff to the
house .
I think I'll be loading the stove all the way and cranking it up tonight .
--
Snag
16° at 5:30

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 01/07/2015 4:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

We're about that, too, but are west of the deepest location of the
high--noticed it was 10-15F cooler just 100 mi or so N and E...

But, it's cleared entirely now so it'll definitely be nippy in the
AM...

I was just looking at the maps at http://www.weather.com/maps/current and it
looks like it's going to be chilly tonight ... that high is throwing winds
off the north side that come around and head straight for our area .
Put another log on the fire ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
On 1/7/2015 5:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

Just drink faster. G

My kidneys would never handle the strain , there's half a 30 pack out
there .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 16:58:56 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:2Dirw.1132286
:

I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19ø and dropping , and I need to keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

I'm in Virginia right now, and it's 13 as I post, dropping to a predicted
5F by morning.

That's still nothing compared to the upper midwest!
Lloyd

-20C up here in Central Ontario - -30C Wind Chill.
-20 is about 2 below zero F.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 18:30:42 -0500, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 1/7/2015 5:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I need to keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

Just drink faster. G

Or buy REAL beer instead of thet wussy American horse-****.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/7/2015 4:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I need to keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

-2F now, with wind chill of -17F.

-7F expected tonight, it might get up to 11F tomorrow.

The best way to keep beer from freezing is to enclose it in a 37C container.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David R. Birch wrote:
On 1/7/2015 4:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

-2F now, with wind chill of -17F.

-7F expected tonight, it might get up to 11F tomorrow.

The best way to keep beer from freezing is to enclose it in a 37C
container.
David

That wouldn't by any chance convert over to 98.6F would it ?

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 16:58:56 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:2Dirw.1132286
:

I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19ø and dropping , and I need to keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

I'm in Virginia right now, and it's 13 as I post, dropping to a predicted
5F by morning.

That's still nothing compared to the upper midwest!

We're heating up this week in OR. Today was a balmy 48 with a 38 this
morning. We may even have some rain tomorrow night.

It had better not rain Friday, though. That's my HF Run day. I have
to pick up some late Christmas presents for my niece and their
magnesium fire starters are on sale for $2.79. Time to stock up on
those and a few other things.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 17:45:02 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
On 1/7/2015 5:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

Just drink faster. G

My kidneys would never handle the strain , there's half a 30 pack out
there .

Store it in a refrigerator. That'll warm it up.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 20:56:45 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

David R. Birch wrote:
On 1/7/2015 4:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

-2F now, with wind chill of -17F.

-7F expected tonight, it might get up to 11F tomorrow.

The best way to keep beer from freezing is to enclose it in a 37C
container.
David

That wouldn't by any chance convert over to 98.6F would it ?

If so, it wouldn't remain there long. You know the story:

Drink one, pee forty.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
On 1/7/2015 5:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

Just drink faster. G

My kidneys would never handle the strain , there's half a 30 pack
out there .

Store it in a refrigerator. That'll warm it up.

It IS in a refrigerator !

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I need to keep
the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

3 am , 3° ... got up to check the fire , no frozen pipes ... and I ain't
going out to the shop to check the beer , if it's froze , it's froze .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

3 am , 3° ... got up to check the fire , no frozen pipes ... and I
ain't going out to the shop to check the beer , if it's froze , it's
froze .

5:54AM, -6F

David

7:08 AM , it was at 1° when I got up at 6:30 and the camper water supply
hose is frozen . Just went out to the shop to get a space heater to put
under the camper , the beer survived just fine . I keep a bottle of water in
that ref so I know when I've cranked it too cold . Under the house temp has
plunged all the way to 45° ... but I'd bet it's a bit colder than that under
the camper , there's a couple of holes like for the black water drain valve
access . Well , now I know how cold it needs to get before I waste water
leaving a faucet dripping .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Sometimes it _IS_ good to be far SW corner! 14F at 11PM expecting
it to be 0F or thereabouts this AM. Instead it's 25F at 7AM on the way
to nearly 50F this afternoon they say before the next front later on
tonight...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

amdx wrote:
On 1/7/2015 7:40 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 16:58:56 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in
news:2Dirw.1132286 :

I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19ø and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

I'm in Virginia right now, and it's 13 as I post, dropping to a
predicted 5F by morning.

That's still nothing compared to the upper midwest!
Lloyd

-20C up here in Central Ontario - -30C Wind Chill.
-20 is about 2 below zero F.

We hit 22*F in Panama City Fl.
I let all the outdoor faucets drip (5). I have some outdoor
pvc pipe run to an ice machine, I unhooked it at the machine
and let it drip.
I tested the greenhouse thermostat with an icewater bath to make sure
the pump would come on to heat the greenhouse with groundwater. I
heard the pump running 4 times last night so I expect all is good.
OK, this has been fun, now let's get back to regular temps.
Mikek

If we're lucky it might get above freezing here today ... as soon as the
wife gets uo I'll go out and thaw the camper hose , it was OK at 3° at 3AM ,
at 6:30 and 1° it was frozen . But I know from experience where it froze and
how to thaw , just need to have someone to turn it off inside when it lets
go .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 07:50:43 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

amdx wrote:
On 1/7/2015 7:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Central NJ, 7 deg. F when I got up at 5:00 AM, 8F now, and it's
going up to 20F today! It won't touch freezing until Sunday (33F), and
then it dips again.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

amdx wrote:
On 1/7/2015 7:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

Just think how bad it would be without global warming :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

amdx wrote:
On 1/7/2015 7:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

It probably would be warmer. Take a look at today's jet stream, and
then take a look at the pressure isobars. Resistance to Arctic air
masses is very low in much of North America right now.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

We hit 20F this morning (Georgetown, Texas). I've seen colder. But
like most houses down here on slabs, the pipes are in the attic. I
let some faucets drip any time it gets down to the mid 20's. It just
ain't worth the risk. And no, I don't miss having a basement at all.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If we're lucky it might get above freezing here today ... as soon
as the wife gets up I'll go out and thaw the camper hose , it was
OK at 3° at 3AM , at 6:30 and 1° it was frozen . But I know from
experience where it froze and how to thaw , just need to have
someone to turn it off inside when it lets go .

Hmm. Central NJ, 7 deg. F when I got up at 5:00 AM, 8F now, and it's
going up to 20F today! It won't touch freezing until Sunday (33F),
and then it dips again.

Just think how bad it would be without global warming :-)

I'm sure glad I swallowed that coffee before I read that .

Surprise surprise , it wasn't frozen where I thought it would be . THe
hose is apparently frozen under the hall to the camper . I'll get under
there and get it thawed in a bit , and put some insulation over it where it
runs across the ground .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

amdx fired this volley in news:m8m1cv$k0d$1@dont-
email.me:

We hit 22*F in Panama City Fl.

My home is east, northern, central florida, near Palm Coast.

It got down to 35 there, but I'm up in Radford VA (Southwestern VA, just
below the Blue Ridge) doing a new machine installation at the Army
Ammunition plant.

They predicted 5F this a.m. It got down to 1. It got all the way UP to
22 today, and is expected back down to 10-12 tonight, but not nearly so
bad as this a.m., because the wind has settled down since the front went
through.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 16:20:40 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

amdx fired this volley in news:m8m1cv$k0d$1@dont-
email.me:

We hit 22*F in Panama City Fl.

My home is east, northern, central florida, near Palm Coast.

It got down to 35 there, but I'm up in Radford VA (Southwestern VA, just
below the Blue Ridge) doing a new machine installation at the Army
Ammunition plant.

They predicted 5F this a.m. It got down to 1. It got all the way UP to
22 today, and is expected back down to 10-12 tonight, but not nearly so
bad as this a.m., because the wind has settled down since the front went
through.

LLoyd

My son hates the cold, and his company recently moved to Boston. He
went "south" for college -- Lexington, VA, not far from you -- and he
thought Boston would be awful for the cold. But I pointed out to him
that Boston was only 4 degrees colder than Lexington today.

So much for the balmier weather in southwest Virginia.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 16:20:40 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

amdx fired this volley in
[...]

The official temperature for Boston can be substantially milder than
the surrounding area because the airport is next to the harbor.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

And he lives near the airport. Fortunately, they don't care where he
works, so he worked from hom this week. Next week he'll work from Ann
Arbor, MI, which, conveniently, is where his girlfriend lives. g

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 08:01:11 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 19:41:38 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

:

I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead
lights on for the night . It's 19ø and dropping , and I need to
keep the
shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

I'm in Virginia right now, and it's 13 as I post, dropping to a
predicted
5F by morning.

That's still nothing compared to the upper midwest!
Lloyd
-20C up here in Central Ontario - -30C Wind Chill.
-20 is about 2 below zero F.

"Why do people _live_ in areas like that?" he asked, most
seriously.
Other than the two very nice summer days you have each year, I
mean.

The fasntastic spring and summer days and the beautiful summers.
Really no nicer place to live 8 months of the year, and most years
the winters are not too bad either. Last year was an exception - and
this year is getting a good start but we DID have a "green
christmas".
Generally we have a couple days that hit or go below zero F.

Doesn't most of Canada (Eastern 2/3) have fairly high humidity
during
the summer and fall?

Summertime Canadian air is very pleasant when it blows our way.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 16:20:40 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

amdx fired this volley in news:m8m1cv$k0d$1@dont-
email.me:

We hit 22*F in Panama City Fl.

My home is east, northern, central florida, near Palm Coast.

It got down to 35 there, but I'm up in Radford VA (Southwestern VA, just
below the Blue Ridge) doing a new machine installation at the Army
Ammunition plant.

They predicted 5F this a.m. It got down to 1. It got all the way UP to
22 today, and is expected back down to 10-12 tonight, but not nearly so
bad as this a.m., because the wind has settled down since the front went
through.

We had 39F fog for most of the day. It got up to 43, but is now back
down to 39 again, and it's still foggy. Medium driveable fog, not pea
soup thick London fog, thankfully.

Some shiny -metal- came to me from China today. Ten of those knotting
tools. They're mighty nice. Tumbled edges, laser etched Xtools logo,
and just 83 cents apiece, delivered. I may get more to keep around.
http://tinyurl.com/ldl8fh7 (got their last 7)

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
On 1/7/2015 5:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

Just drink faster. G

My kidneys would never handle the strain , there's half a 30 pack out
there .

Store it in a refrigerator. That'll warm it up.

Only if it was made by Lucas.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 16:20:40 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

amdx fired this volley in news:m8m1cv$k0d$1@dont-
email.me:

We hit 22*F in Panama City Fl.

My home is east, northern, central florida, near Palm Coast.

It got down to 35 there, but I'm up in Radford VA (Southwestern VA, just
below the Blue Ridge) doing a new machine installation at the Army
Ammunition plant.

They predicted 5F this a.m. It got down to 1. It got all the way UP to
22 today, and is expected back down to 10-12 tonight, but not nearly so
bad as this a.m., because the wind has settled down since the front went
through.

LLoyd

Thursday I was on a roof 25' up and patching thin spots with a
urethane elastomer, working in shorts and a T-shirt and wishing it was
cooler. 74F in Chino California

Today (Saturday) it was down to a fridged 52F

(Grin)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 17:43:52 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Will they take man weight? Or are they too small?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 19:40:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

That's my HF Run day. I have
to pick up some late Christmas presents for my niece and their
magnesium fire starters are on sale for $2.79. Time to stock up on
those and a few other things.

Early in 2014, I bought one of these to test

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-handl...-/160782940666

Its worked so well, I bought another 8 of them for family and friends.

Works VERY well

Huge hot spark from these.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke