Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting fluid?

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:06:31 -0800 (PST), Gerry
wrote:

On Thursday, November 27, 2014 4:34:26 PM UTC-6, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 13:57:56 -0800 (PST), Gerry
wrote:

Those of you who actually do metalwork what kind of coolant do you use? Have a self-contained system on my lathe and have been using a water based(Tri-cool?) and have not been happy with the rust that has formed in my tank. I lose a lot from evacuation and generally make up with water but I suspect that is the wrong way to handle things. When I added premix fluid, the fluid would gel up and not go back in solution. Just wondering what others recommend. I don't use coolant a lot but every time I need it my tank is empty. Suggestions? TIA

I live in a desert climate where temps run from 115F down to the low
30s in the winter, with the majority of the climate being over 85F

I simply cannot use water based coolants unless they are in a mister
setup. I can fill a coolant tank on Sunday..and it will be empty 7
days later simply because of evaporation. So I have settled on
cutting oil on the lathes and one mill (horizontal) and a mister
system on the vertical miller.

My customers (I service machinery in machine shops for a living) have
much the same issues though their shops tend to be far
cooler/environmentally friendly...chuckle

They use their machines 8-24 hrs a day and its the responsibility of
each operator to use the proper test meter and refill the tanks as
needed. (Viscosity gauge)

If ...if..if you can set up spray shields adequate to keep the oil off
the walls, ceiling and you..oil is probably best for your
application..or one of the rather good mist systems (which does not
require much guarding) and then mix up a batch before using the
machine...emptying it at the end of the day into a 5 gallon bucket
with a bung and seal well.. Shake well before reuse.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

I live in south Louisiana so I have somewhat similar temps to deal with but my shop is a/c. With 100% humidity most of the time I have to a/c to keep tools from rusting. I really don't want to have to empty my system every time I use fluid nor do I want to fill my small shop with some strong petroleum smell coolant. Just wondering is there is a happy medium. I use the Tri-cool in a pump bottle for my mill, may have to resort to the with the mill, as well. Most of my work is in aluminum or plastics where I don't need a coolant

If most of your work is aluminum or plastcs..then by all means find
yourself a decent misting system.

I have this on my vertt miller and couldnt be happier with it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRICO-LII-Mi...e/221259098721

These work quite well also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111460485310

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOOL-MIST-At...M/221246840703

etc etc

Hunt around...finding used ones for $20 is entirely possible

I do such things as drill/mill/cut/bore things like railroad track
material...so having a good oil based (or good water based coolant) is
critical.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Those of you who actually do metalwork what kind of coolant do you use? Have a self-contained system on my lathe and have been using a water based(Tri-cool?) and have not been happy with the rust that has formed in my tank. I lose a lot from evacuation and generally make up with water but I suspect that is the wrong way to handle things. When I added premix fluid, the fluid would gel up and not go back in solution. Just wondering what others recommend. I don't use coolant a lot but every time I need it my tank is empty. Suggestions? TIA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:57:58 PM UTC-8, Gerry wrote:
Those of you who actually do metalwork what kind of coolant do you use? Have a self-contained system on my lathe and have been using a water based(Tri-cool?) and have not been happy with the rust that has formed in my tank. I lose a lot from evacuation and generally make up with water but I suspect that is the wrong way to handle things. When I added premix fluid, the fluid would gel up and not go back in solution. Just wondering what others recommend. I don't use coolant a lot but every time I need it my tank is empty. Suggestions? TIA

Any kind of water based coolant is going to give you evaporation issues.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:

Those of you who actually do metalwork what kind of coolant do you use?
Have a self-contained system on my lathe and have been using a water
based(Tri-cool?) and have not been happy with the rust that has formed in
my tank. I lose a lot from evacuation and generally make up with water but
I suspect that is the wrong way to handle things. When I added premix
fluid, the fluid would gel up and not go back in solution. Just wondering
what others recommend. I don't use coolant a lot but every time I need it
my tank is empty. Suggestions? TIA

I used Tri-Cool many years ago. It provided AWFUL tool life and
grew rancid in the sump in weeks. I don't use the coolant very often,
so it tends to sit for a while.

I then got some EnCool from Engineered Lubricants, and it provides
MUCH better tool life, maybe 3X better, and NEVER goes rancid, even after
months of sitting in the sump. Also, it seems to cause a lot less
of the black stain on the table under the vise. (I still get some,
but it wipes off with a paper towel.)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRICO-LII-Mister-Unit-Model-30540-Plastic-LIne/221259098721

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOOL-MIST-Attachment-Magnetic-Positioner-Model-80SM/221246840703

etc etc

Hunt around...finding used ones for $20 is entirely possible

I started out with a mister for my vertical mill, and the mist worked
well.

But, it filled the shop with a cloud bank, coating everything, and
breathing the misty turned out to be a very bad idea. For a while, I
used a 3M respirator with mist filters, and this mostly worked (the
beard causes leakage), although I looked like a WW1 trench soldier
during a gas attack.

My wife found the grease-stained preying-mantis look very amusing.

I stopped using the mister, and went to squirt-bottle cooling.

Or brushed black sulfur oil as needed.

I do such things as drill/mill/cut/bore things like railroad track
material...so having a good oil based (or good water based coolant) is
critical.

Yes. I've been using a heavy soluble oil. I do get some black rust
under things if I don't clean things up well enough.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry prodded the keyboard

Those of you who actually do metalwork what kind of coolant do you
use? Have a self-contained system on my lathe and have been using a
water based(Tri-cool?) and have not been happy with the rust that
has formed in my tank. I lose a lot from evacuation and generally
make up with water but I suspect that is the wrong way to handle
things. When I added premix fluid, the fluid would gel up and not go
back in solution. Just wondering what others recommend. I don't use
coolant a lot but every time I need it my tank is empty.
Suggestions? TIA

I generally use neat cutting oil in a refillable spray bottle !
Actually the bottles original purpose was to spray olive oil for
cooking.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.