Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tractor Tales

The patient will live ! I've been working on his thing all week , today I
fired it up and checked out the transmission . Motor runs but needs plugs
and the correct type of ignition coil , trans goes faster/slower/reverses as
it should .
Time to start throwing money at it !
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 16:47:20 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

The patient will live ! I've been working on his thing all week , today I
fired it up and checked out the transmission . Motor runs but needs plugs
and the correct type of ignition coil , trans goes faster/slower/reverses as
it should .
Time to start throwing money at it !

Congrats on a good surgery, Snag. That's always a relief when you get
a goner back on the road.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The patient will live ! I've been working on his thing all week , today I
fired it up and checked out the transmission . Motor runs but needs plugs
and the correct type of ignition coil , trans goes faster/slower/reverses as
it should .
Time to start throwing money at it !

I have found that it is more effective to throw the money at the parts
suppliers. When throwing money at machines they just sit there.
Sometimes they may grin a little, but machines can be subtle and you
can't always tell when they are laughing at you. A good indication is
when you start the engine after installing some spendy part and it
promptly sticks a rod through the block. The engine equivalent of
sticking your tongue out.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The patient will live ! I've been working on his thing all week ,
today I fired it up and checked out the transmission . Motor runs
but needs plugs and the correct type of ignition coil , trans goes
faster/slower/reverses as it should .
Time to start throwing money at it !

Congrats on a good surgery, Snag. That's always a relief when you get
a goner back on the road.

Actually , it was only minor surgery ... and may actually have been
unnecessary . I pulled the starter - which means unbolting the motor and
pulling it out- and cleaned and oiled it . Got all the tin off the tractor
except the column that houses the battery/steering gear/ etc . Tomorrow I
start ordering parts ... I wasn't about to start spending any serious money
before I knew the machine was worth repairing . Apart from the axle and a
set of tires it looks like the only other problems are a bit too much slop
in the steering box and a blade missing from the hydro pump cooling fan .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The patient will live ! I've been working on his thing all week ,
today I fired it up and checked out the transmission . Motor runs
but needs plugs and the correct type of ignition coil , trans goes
faster/slower/reverses as it should .
Time to start throwing money at it !

Congrats on a good surgery, Snag. That's always a relief when you get
a goner back on the road.

Actually , it was only minor surgery ... and may actually have been

As it should be.

unnecessary . I pulled the starter - which means unbolting the motor and
pulling it out- and cleaned and oiled it . Got all the tin off the tractor
except the column that houses the battery/steering gear/ etc . Tomorrow I
start ordering parts ... I wasn't about to start spending any serious money
before I knew the machine was worth repairing . Apart from the axle and a

Axle problems? That can be big money.

set of tires

Eek, tires, too? That's a definite lot of money.

it looks like the only other problems are a bit too much slop
in the steering box and a blade missing from the hydro pump cooling fan .

OK, those could be minor.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've already located all the parts needed for the axle problems , around
a hundred bucks for used everything but the bearing and seal on eBay .
Still shopping tires , but a pair for the rear will run around 150 bucks .
Fronts might be able to get away with just new tubes . Steering is probably
an adjustment and I have stock that'll work for a blade that'll at least
balance the fan . I suspect the PO looked for the cause of the vibration and
never found it . It does explain all the fatigue cracks in the sheet metal .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Do you have the tools required? I've heard they can be, um,
interestingly assembled.

Still shopping tires , but a pair for the rear will run around 150 bucks .

Wow, that's a steal!

Fronts might be able to get away with just new tubes .

That'd be nice.

Steering is probably
an adjustment and I have stock that'll work for a blade that'll at least
balance the fan . I suspect the PO looked for the cause of the vibration and
never found it . It does explain all the fatigue cracks in the sheet metal .

No doubt. g

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So far the only difficult part was pulling the outer bearing race from the
axle housing . I ended up using the dremel to cut it to release the tension
.. The only strange thing I found was 2 seals back to back - hydraulic oil on
one side , grease on the other .
Well , got the financing details worked out with the Mrs , gotta move some
money and get parts ordered .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Awesome!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/23/2014 4:47 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
The patient will live ! ...

I don't recall -- what is it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

On 10/23/2014 4:47 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
The patient will live ! ...

I don't recall -- what is it?

--

Terry Coombs wrote:

I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and front
blade with hydraulic raise/lower

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:07:05 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Still shopping tires , but a pair for the rear will run around 150 bucks .
Fronts might be able to get away with just new tubes .
--
Snag

Do not know if this would be of any help. But I have a couple of 20 x 8.00-8 tires , a couple of 5x 6.00-6 tires and a couple of 20x10-8 tires.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So far the only difficult part was pulling the outer bearing race from the
axle housing . I ended up using the dremel to cut it to release the tension
. The only strange thing I found was 2 seals back to back - hydraulic oil on
one side , grease on the other .
Well , got the financing details worked out with the Mrs , gotta move some
money and get parts ordered .

Did i miss a post? What make and model are you doing?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:02:23 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I asked:
Do you have the tools required? I've heard they can be, um,
interestingly assembled.

So far the only difficult part was pulling the outer bearing race from the
axle housing . I ended up using the dremel to cut it to release the tension
. The only strange thing I found was 2 seals back to back - hydraulic oil on
one side , grease on the other .
Well , got the financing details worked out with the Mrs , gotta move some
money and get parts ordered .

Have at 'er, and let us know where to find the pics when you're done.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and front
blade with hydraulic raise/lower

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I thought he had said "tractor". gd&r
No wonder the parts were so cheap.

Wayull, hayull! I guess they can be converted.
http://www.grainfarmer.com/image5T9.JPG
I'd love one of those configured like that.

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
So far the only difficult part was pulling the outer bearing race
from the axle housing . I ended up using the dremel to cut it to
release the tension . The only strange thing I found was 2 seals
back to back - hydraulic oil on one side , grease on the other .
Well , got the financing details worked out with the Mrs , gotta
move some money and get parts ordered .

Did i miss a post? What make and model are you doing?

You musta ... and more than one !
I got lucky and found a steal on a 1982 JD model 317 yard tractor with a
mower deck and front blade . So far I have got the motor running needs
plugs badly and tested the hydrostatic trans , and got all the busted/wore
out stuff removed and repaired/parts ordered . It had a trashed bearing on
the LR wheel that also took out the axle , hub , and bearings/seals . Right
now I'm looking at tires , and I'm leaning towards tractor type lugs instead
of turf tires . This thing is going to be pushing dirt and snow and mowing
the orchard - ain't no puttin' greens here and never will be .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and
front blade with hydraulic raise/lower

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I thought he had said "tractor". gd&r
No wonder the parts were so cheap.

Wayull, hayull! I guess they can be converted.
http://www.grainfarmer.com/image5T9.JPG
I'd love one of those configured like that.

I'd like one too ! But for now I'll settle for mowing and pushing
snow/dirt . That is the same basic machine I got .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and
front blade with hydraulic raise/lower

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I thought he had said "tractor". gd&r
No wonder the parts were so cheap.

Wayull, hayull! I guess they can be converted.
http://www.grainfarmer.com/image5T9.JPG
I'd love one of those configured like that.

I'd like one too ! But for now I'll settle for mowing and pushing
snow/dirt . That is the same basic machine I got .

Ayup. That mini-backhoe really draws me, though.

Some day...

--
A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if
one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.
-- Louis L'Amour

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:

I just scored an older JD model 317 tractor with a mower deck and
front blade with hydraulic raise/lower

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I thought he had said "tractor". gd&r
No wonder the parts were so cheap.

Wayull, hayull! I guess they can be converted.
http://www.grainfarmer.com/image5T9.JPG
I'd love one of those configured like that.

I'd like one too ! But for now I'll settle for mowing and pushing
snow/dirt . That is the same basic machine I got .

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/se...actor&sort=rel

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/grd/4728066378.html

Lots of tractors around here.....

Some of the farms here use em for yard seperators...long lines of old
tractors between fields

PJ O'Rourke

NY Times Article - Cautionary Tales Buck Turgidson Home Repair 1 May 12th 07 02:33 AM
tales of a flapper mm Home Repair 5 February 20th 07 11:27 AM
Fish tales and battle scars chickenwing Home Repair 1 December 21st 05 03:21 AM
Tap Tail Tales....... [email protected] UK diy 18 August 1st 05 09:38 PM
tell tales Alex UK diy 3 March 17th 05 09:16 PM