Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody have a spare cable tension gauge?

Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

"Loos Gauge" is what is typically sold for sailboat rigging...but Im
sure there are other brands, models, types that will work as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOS-CO-PROF...-/131314391202

Something that will go up to about 200 lbs or so would be nice.

Rigging is typically 1/8" - 1/4" with most being 3/16"

Swap/trade/buy etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

"Loos Gauge" is what is typically sold for sailboat rigging...but Im
sure there are other brands, models, types that will work as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOS-CO-PROF...-/131314391202

Something that will go up to about 200 lbs or so would be nice.

Rigging is typically 1/8" - 1/4" with most being 3/16"

Swap/trade/buy etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

An aircraft tension gauge should work fine. I have one somewhere that I
used on larger aircraft when servicing autopilots.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 21:08:32 -0400, John
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

"Loos Gauge" is what is typically sold for sailboat rigging...but Im
sure there are other brands, models, types that will work as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOS-CO-PROF...-/131314391202

Something that will go up to about 200 lbs or so would be nice.

Rigging is typically 1/8" - 1/4" with most being 3/16"

Swap/trade/buy etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

An aircraft tension gauge should work fine. I have one somewhere that I
used on larger aircraft when servicing autopilots.

John

Id certainly be interested.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/5/2014 8:08 PM, John wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

"Loos Gauge" is what is typically sold for sailboat rigging...but Im
sure there are other brands, models, types that will work as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOS-CO-PROF...-/131314391202

Something that will go up to about 200 lbs or so would be nice.

Rigging is typically 1/8" - 1/4" with most being 3/16"

Swap/trade/buy etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

An aircraft tension gauge should work fine. I have one somewhere that I
used on larger aircraft when servicing autopilots.

John

Or just buy a marine Loos Gauge.
About $75 at West Marine for the smaller one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 17:57:01 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/5/2014 8:08 PM, John wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

"Loos Gauge" is what is typically sold for sailboat rigging...but Im
sure there are other brands, models, types that will work as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOS-CO-PROF...-/131314391202

Something that will go up to about 200 lbs or so would be nice.

Rigging is typically 1/8" - 1/4" with most being 3/16"

Swap/trade/buy etc etc

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

An aircraft tension gauge should work fine. I have one somewhere that I
used on larger aircraft when servicing autopilots.

John

Or just buy a marine Loos Gauge.
About $75 at West Marine for the smaller one.

Ayup. Got $75 ? I sure don't for a "luxury" item.

I do have lots of stuff to trade though.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/5/2014 8:08 PM, John wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

"Loos Gauge" is what is typically sold for sailboat rigging...but Im
sure there are other brands, models, types that will work as well.

Ayup. Got $75 ? I sure don't for a "luxury" item.

I do have lots of stuff to trade though.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

The section using a 2 meter rod and calipers should work for any cable
as long as you know it's stretch numbers.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/5/2014 8:08 PM, John wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

"Loos Gauge" is what is typically sold for sailboat
rigging...but Im
sure there are other brands, models, types that will work as
well.

Ayup. Got $75 ? I sure don't for a "luxury" item.

I do have lots of stuff to trade though.

Gunner

demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a
philosophy of sniveling brats."
PJ O'Rourke

http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

The section using a 2 meter rod and calipers should work for any
cable as long as you know it's stretch numbers.

--
Steve W.

Thanks, that's very good.

I think my method of attaching this spring scale to the line with a
Prusik loop and tensioning it until the section below the knot begins
to feel slack is close enough to stay below the working strength of
ropes and fittings.
http://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-440-l.../dp/B000KKD09I

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prusik

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/5/2014 8:08 PM, John wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

"Loos Gauge" is what is typically sold for sailboat rigging...but Im
sure there are other brands, models, types that will work as well.

Ayup. Got $75 ? I sure don't for a "luxury" item.

I do have lots of stuff to trade though.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

The section using a 2 meter rod and calipers should work for any cable
as long as you know it's stretch numbers.

Stretch numbers of 40 yr old 3/16 1/9 stainless? Right

Thanks for the link though. Its one Ive used, but was looking for
something a bit faster and easier.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

The section using a 2 meter rod and calipers should work for any
cable
as long as you know it's stretch numbers.

Stretch numbers of 40 yr old 3/16 1/9 stainless? Right

Thanks for the link though. Its one Ive used, but was looking for
something a bit faster and easier.

Gunner

You could weigh yourself and then clamp off a loop big enough for one
shoe and measure how far your weight stretches it.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.riggingandsails.com/pdf/selden-tuning.pdf

The section using a 2 meter rod and calipers should work for any
cable
as long as you know it's stretch numbers.

Stretch numbers of 40 yr old 3/16 1/9 stainless? Right

Thanks for the link though. Its one Ive used, but was looking for
something a bit faster and easier.

Gunner

You could weigh yourself and then clamp off a loop big enough for one
shoe and measure how far your weight stretches it.
-jsw

Right. I could do that.

All I want to do is put some pressure on the fore stay and the 4 side
mast shrouds, tuning the rigging and changing it occasionally for
different conditions once Ive tuned properly the rig for minimum
weather helm etc etc

That's why they make cable tension gauges...to match stuff up or to
tension it to certain specs.

Ill wait and see if the gent with the airplane cable gizmo wants to
sell/swap/trade

But thanks anyways.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Right. I could do that.

All I want to do is put some pressure on the fore stay and the 4
side
mast shrouds, tuning the rigging and changing it occasionally for
different conditions once Ive tuned properly the rig for minimum
weather helm etc etc

That's why they make cable tension gauges...to match stuff up or to
tension it to certain specs.

Ill wait and see if the gent with the airplane cable gizmo wants to
sell/swap/trade

But thanks anyways.

Gunner

I could use a recommendation for a serpentine belt tension gauge that
can be applied and read in tight places. The quarter-turn test doesn't
keep my alternator belt from squealing on cold morning startups.

Has anyone tried this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91132-Be.../dp/B000CRDLZM

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/7/2014 3:34 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Or just buy a marine Loos Gauge.
About $75 at West Marine for the smaller one.

Ayup. Got $75 ? I sure don't for a "luxury" item.

I do have lots of stuff to trade though.

Gunner

So how big is your "boat buck", Gunner?

For most sailboats, a boat buck is one grand.
For smaller boats, it can be as small as $100.

We use the term "boat buck" so we don't have to deal with dollars.
Who wants to know how may dollars something for the boat cost?
Fractions of a boat buck are a lot easier to justify.

But the Loos gage is not a luxury.
Certainly not for a trailer sailor.
It's a tool. A rigging tool.
An IMPORTANT rigging tool.
And you need one - if you are serious about sailing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think my cable tension unit is way out of your price range.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 05:30:11 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

[...]

Ok. Thanks anyways.

Ill look for a surplus one on Ebay.

Is this like yours?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USAF-Tensiom...-/321532419298

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Humm.......
interesting . . . . all any of those show is the BOX! How do you know
what you're bidding on?? grin

Bob
rgentryatozdotnet

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You have to scroll though all the photos. The last one is the device
itself

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Got itg
First time I looked the scroll arrows didn't show up.
(or I didn't notice them sigh)
Wonder what that unit will go for
Bob
rgentryatozdotnet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-08, Bob Gentry wrote:
On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 22:36:33 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[ ... ]

Ok. Thanks anyways.

Ill look for a surplus one on Ebay.

Is this like yours?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USAF-Tensiom...-/321532419298

[ ... ]

Humm.......
interesting . . . . all any of those show is the BOX! How do you know
what you're bidding on?? grin

Well ... photos 8 and 9 of 10 actually show the box open and the
instrument from one view.

If I were considering buying it, I would either like to be
familiar with the brand and model, or at least see some other views of
it. I *think* that the knurled object at the top may be a dial gauge,
but I don't know for sure..

But -- don't need it, so it does not matter to me. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-09, Bob Gentry wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:00:55 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[ ... ]

Ill look for a surplus one on Ebay.

Is this like yours?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USAF-Tensiom...-/321532419298

[ ... ]

You have to scroll though all the photos. The last one is the device
itself

Got itg
First time I looked the scroll arrows didn't show up.
(or I didn't notice them sigh)
Wonder what that unit will go for

It is a BIN (Buy It Now) -- not an auction, so if it is sold, it
will be for the $125.00.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:11:50 PM UTC-4, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Wonder what that unit will go for

It is a BIN (Buy It Now) -- not an auction, so if it is sold, it

will be for the $125.00.

Enjoy,

DoN.

I am amazed at those prices. It looks like there is very little to a cable tension gauge, and it would be fairly easy to make one.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10 Oct 2014 03:11:50 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2014-10-09, Bob Gentry wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:00:55 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[ ... ]

Ill look for a surplus one on Ebay.

Is this like yours?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USAF-Tensiom...-/321532419298

[ ... ]

You have to scroll though all the photos. The last one is the device
itself

Got itg
First time I looked the scroll arrows didn't show up.
(or I didn't notice them sigh)
Wonder what that unit will go for

It is a BIN (Buy It Now) -- not an auction, so if it is sold, it
will be for the $125.00.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Thanks DoN
Should have noted that also sigh
Bob
rgentryatozdotnet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Im looking for a wire cable "tension gauge" to use for adjusting
rigging tension on my sailboats.

Gunner

Gunner, on boats of that size a tension gauge is overkill. Just set them up
initially by hand until they "feel right". Then take it for a sail and sail
it close-hauled first on one tack and then the other and adjust things until
the mast stands in column and the jib luff isn't overly scalloped (you'll
never get it perfectly straight). It doesn't take long to develop the feel.
To get the mast standing perpendicular to the deck, hoist the end of a long
measuring tape to the masthead and measure the distances to port and
starboard chain plates and adjust as necessary. To adjust the rake of the
mast, just use that measuring tape as a plumb bob, and adjust headstay and
backstay tension until it has the rake you want (usually a little aft).

....says a guy who's done it that way on every boat he's ever tuned, over
forty years, up to boats in the forty- to fifty-foot range.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/11/2014 2:29 PM, tdacon wrote:
[...]

But on these smaller boats, the mast might not be perpendicular.
Or even straight, for that matter.
Depends on how the rig was designed and how sail is cut.

Big boats have telephone pole masts that generally stand straight -
even if raked.

Small boat masts often are curved a bit to start with, and the backstay
tensioned to belly the middle of the mast forward and reduce the depth
of the sail. Nice in heavy air. Or un-tensioned (if that's a real
word) to fatten the sail for light air.

So the trick is to set the stay tensions the way the designer intended
them to be to get the mast pre-shaped.

That is done more accurately with a tension gage.

But them it's Gunner. So ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:57:08 -0500, Richard
wrote:

[...]

A couple of things: First, consistent race winners in small boats
often win because they *ignore* what the designer intended, and
instead shape everything in a way they know is more likely to win.
That's one reason they're winners. In small boats with a lot of sail,
it often means slacking off from the nominal values.

Secondly, unless I'm mistaken, Gunner is sailing small boats that
weren't especially stiff to begin with, and probably, as a result of
age and stress, have hulls like rubber. I remember he had a FJ. I
sailed FJs a lot. Three years, and they're done for in serious racing.
International 14s are even worse -- two years, maybe. Getting fussy
about setting the tension of standing rigging in such boats is an
exercise in futility.

Now, I've been out of it for a long time, so tell me if I'm off base.

(BTW, I talked on the phone with Derrick Fries a few weeks ago. We
sailed together at MSU. Remember him?)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message

So the trick is to set the stay tensions the way the designer intended
them to be to get the mast pre-shaped.

That is done more accurately with a tension gage.

Best of luck finding designer's intended tension specifications for the
kinds of boats that Gunner talks about, if they ever even existed (not
likely). And as someone else pointed out, those old boats tend to get a
little limber as they age, and you can easily bend a boat like that out of
shape by over-tightening the rig. That throws your tension specs out the
window all by itself.

It's true that there are lots of small boats (even big ones) with bendy
masts, which you tune even as you're sailing for the wind speeds and the
sails you're using. I've raced on them myself. Big race boats like the
America's Cup catamarans have strain gauges on spars and shrouds with
digital readouts, and crew that adjust the rig and the sails with one eye on
the gauges. Gunner's boats typically have uniform-diameter aluminum
extrusions that are intended to be rigged straight up and down. Typically
you set 'em up once and never touch them again unless you have some reason
to take the rig off the boat.

I stand by my original comments - on that kind of boat there's no point in
fiddling with tension gauges.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 12:29:29 -0700, "tdacon"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks Tom....thats what I do now. Works well enough but takes about
4x as long as a cable gauge.

Much obliged though. Good refresher

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Say Richard, get that Capri yet? Or hasnt anyone yet volunteered to
drop one off in your driveway for free so far?

Dont worry..Ill keep posting Capris for you. Maybe someday I can find
one that you wont have to do anything besides order someone to back it
into the water for you. You really do need to learn to do that one of
these days, big guy.

Gunner, selling his Oday 17 and making the final payment on his
Winrose 18. Keeping him at 6 boats not 7 *not counting a soft Hobi
16*

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/11/2014 10:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

Say Richard, get that Capri yet? Or hasnt anyone yet volunteered to
drop one off in your driveway for free so far?

Yes Mark, we do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/11/2014 7:14 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

A couple of things: First, consistent race winners in small boats
often win because they *ignore* what the designer intended, and
instead shape everything in a way they know is more likely to win.

While that's true, the reason behind it it those people have enough
experience with the boats they race to design it in the first place.

Not so true for the casual sailor or newby.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:45:41 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/11/2014 7:14 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

A couple of things: First, consistent race winners in small boats
often win because they *ignore* what the designer intended, and
instead shape everything in a way they know is more likely to win.

While that's true, the reason behind it it those people have enough
experience with the boats they race to design it in the first place.

Not so true for the casual sailor or newby.

Yes, I learned that when I used to sail behind Marilyn Tripp (women's
Hobie 14 Nat'l Champion) and Derrick Fries (six world championships in
Sunfish and Force 5), and try to figure out why their sails looked so
beautiful and mine looked like a bedsheet on a clothesline. g

Here's Derrick. He is a sail-trim maestro:

http://www.experts.com/Profile/Resum...?ResumeID=5847

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/5/2014 8:08 PM, John wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

Or just buy a marine Loos Gauge.
About $75 at West Marine for the smaller one.

Ayup. Got $75 ? I sure don't for a "luxury" item.

I do have lots of stuff to trade though.

There you go again, using money like it is a valuable
tool to be used carefully. I like it!
I do it too.
Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:43:52 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/11/2014 10:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

Say Richard, get that Capri yet? Or hasnt anyone yet volunteered to
drop one off in your driveway for free so far?

Yes Mark, we do.

"We do what?"

Get that Capri?

Or hordes of people volunteering to drop one off in the water
...er..driveway for you?

Hummmm?

I hope you got the Capri 25..its supposed to be faster than the rest
by quite a bit.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/11/2014 7:14 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

A couple of things: First, consistent race winners in small boats
often win because they *ignore* what the designer intended, and
instead shape everything in a way they know is more likely to win.

While that's true, the reason behind it it those people have enough
experience with the boats they race to design it in the first place.

Not so true for the casual sailor or newby.

True..but then..they arent locked into "the way" either and like the
occasional newby pool player..are hard to beat.

I got my ass waxed once by a father/son in a beat up 5th hand
Lighting that they picked up in an estate sale..while I was sailing my
inspected and weighed Thistle...single handed granted..but they
crossed the finish line a half minute or so ahead of me..and 5
minutes ahead of everyone behind me.

I had to look at my own performance to see what I did wrong and found
it was largely "attitude" that slowed me down. Quite a learning
experience. Not an unusual one for me..but...shrug.

I won the championship for the next 4 and learned a lot about
myself and that "attitude"..and sailed much cleaner and easier after.

I took it upon myself to teach both the father and the son to
sail...and they did very very well coming in 2nd for most of those 4
yrs. Then they started coming in 1st when I put myself on the
official race boat.

The old man died about 10 yrs ago, the son moved along with his family
to Texas somewhere..hope he still sails..he had the Knack.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/11/2014 10:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

Say Richard, get that Capri yet? Or hasnt anyone yet volunteered to
drop one off in your driveway for free so far?

Yes Mark, we do.

"We do what?"

Get that Capri?

Or hordes of people volunteering to drop one off in the water
..er..driveway for you?

Hummmm?

I hope you got the Capri 25..its supposed to be faster than the rest
by quite a bit.

Gunner

Mark, it's none of you business what I do.

You've been stalking like a crazed maniac for months.

Give It A Rest.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/11/2014 10:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

Say Richard, get that Capri yet? Or hasnt anyone yet volunteered to
drop one off in your driveway for free so far?

Yes Mark, we do.

"We do what?"

Get that Capri?

Or hordes of people volunteering to drop one off in the water
..er..driveway for you?

Hummmm?

I hope you got the Capri 25..its supposed to be faster than the rest
by quite a bit.

Gunner

Mark, it's none of you business what I do.

You've been stalking like a crazed maniac for months.

Give It A Rest.

Yeah, what's with the Capri 22s? That's a boat for the brown-water
navy.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/11/2014 10:01 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

But them it's Gunner. So ...

Say Richard, get that Capri yet? Or hasnt anyone yet volunteered to
drop one off in your driveway for free so far?

Yes Mark, we do.

"We do what?"

Get that Capri?

Or hordes of people volunteering to drop one off in the water
..er..driveway for you?

Hummmm?

I hope you got the Capri 25..its supposed to be faster than the rest
by quite a bit.

Gunner

Mark, it's none of you business what I do.

You've been stalking like a crazed maniac for months.

Give It A Rest.

Yeah, what's with the Capri 22s? That's a boat for the brown-water
navy.

Handy (sailor talk for maneuverable), the fin version points like a
hunting dog, fast, economical, and easily trailerable.

They are well built, nicely finished, even inside, well behaved on
all points of sail, and - attractive to look at.

They all have fabulous huge cockpit arrangements. Even the little
14 foot day sailors.

What's not to like?

The 18s are small cruisers. Probably the nicest handling small sailboat
I've ever run across. Smaller than the 22 but easier to trailer as a
result. However, soon after they were introduced, Shane St. Claire took
his new Capri 18 from Oxnard, California to Hawaii singlehanded.
(so much for your brown water!)

The 25s are flat out racers. Very lightly built and (IMHO) too
flexible. Can't keep the windows sealed because the hull flexes
so bad.

The 26 (like Temptress) is a nice cruiser built on the Capri lines.
She's a short 30 footer inside due to the 10 foot beam.

The 30 was an IOR racer. Same lines as the 26, but pulled out another
4 feet. VERY fast on the wind.
The Capri 30, like most late 1970's early 1980's era MORC boats, were
boats that sailed well in a wide range of windspeeds and seastates. For
a race boat, these boats were forgiving and reasonably easy to sail well
in a wide range of conditions. The downside now, like the 25s,
they were lightly built, raced hard, and are now 30+ years old.

There were a few others built for ocean racing.
Never seen any of them in person.

But would jump at the chance to crew a Capri 37 with 665 sq feet of sail!
Like Capricious, for instance...
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=7584

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll take your word for it. I don't know the boat, but around here,
there isn't much enthusiasm for lightly-built cabin boats.

I see that the 22 weighs 2200 pounds and has a 650 lb. keel. A Cape
Dory 26, which is 6 inches shorter on the waterline, weighs 5300
pounds, with a 2400 lb. keel.

As you know, that's my kind of monohull. I wouldn't take a 2200 lb
boat with a 20 ft. waterline outside of Manasquan Inlet unless I had
really good insurance.

You may recall that I worked at Ranger Yachts for a short time after
college (breathing fiberglass dust until I was getting asthma). I
built some Ranger 23s, which has the same LWL as the Capri 22. It
weighs 3400 lb and has 1500 lb ballast. We considered that a daysailer
for the bays. They had a good hull layup but, in a 4-foot head sea,
you could see the hull oilcanning.

'Different perspectives, I guess. If it's light, it may be good for
racing, but I raced a Tanzer 22 in 1/4-ton and MORC events in Lake
Huron, and it was the fastest boat in its class, at that time. It was
3 in. shorter than the Capri on the waterline, and weighed 2900 lb,
with a 1250 lb. keel. I loved racing the boat but I would be wary of
it in the ocean. Even with that keel, we got knocked down dead flat a
couple of times.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No oceans around Dallas, Ed. Only lakes.

We go down to Kemah for weekend cruises in the Carribean.
Now THAT'S some BROWN water!
Literally.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thus, the brown-water navy. g For some reason I thought you were on
the Gulf coast. For roughness it ain't the Atlantic, but...

We go down to Kemah for weekend cruises in the Carribean.
Now THAT'S some BROWN water!
Literally.

Hmm. I thought it was mostly green.

Oh well, I haven't been to the Caribbean for a long time. I guess it
got browner. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

'Different perspectives, I guess. If it's light, it may be good for
racing, but I raced a Tanzer 22 in 1/4-ton and MORC events in Lake
Huron, and it was the fastest boat in its class, at that time. It was
3 in. shorter than the Capri on the waterline, and weighed 2900 lb,
with a 1250 lb. keel. I loved racing the boat but I would be wary of
it in the ocean. Even with that keel, we got knocked down dead flat a
couple of times.

Santana 20s are all over the place and they are regularly raced. And
one can snag a nice one for under $2k

Lots of Tanzers, Pearsons, C&Cs etc etc for very little money

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/boa/4708453715.html

Ebay is a good place to find a boat as well

I doubt if this boat goes for more than $3k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9683-1980-35...-/251673083481

http://usauctions.com/ItemDetails.aspx?ID=9683

Figure a yard would charge about $1k or less to fix the hull and keel
over the winter when things are slow. Its a fairly simple job. Get a
bottom paint job at the same time for $250-400
The new No-copper paints are looking pretty good for holding up for a
couple 2-3 years or more.
Not needed of course for freshwater boats

Thats a 35' decently laid out boat for $4k or less.

Current listing of sailboats from cheapest to most expensive:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Boats-/26429/i.html?_fls=1&_os=UP|S|PL|D&_pos=93268&_stpos=9326 8&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&_ipg=200&_nkw= sailboat&LH_LocatedIn=1&_sop=2

J24s are readily available as well for $3k ish

This is an expensive one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-J24-Sai...-/181554772045

http://www.sailnet.com/boatchk/showp...hp?product=341

Then there are the Merit 25s and the Kirby 25s

No oceans around Dallas, Ed. Only lakes.

We go down to Kemah for weekend cruises in the Carribean.
Now THAT'S some BROWN water!
Literally.

For Brown Water...go to the Sacramento Delta. Very much like SEA but
you can stop for MickyDs

PJ O'Rourke