Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Craiglist Mill Gloat

Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??
Guy listed it as Machine mill Acura :-)
was there at first light, and he said he had several
more calls, imagine that!
I handed him $20 bills and got a bill of sale.
And went to fetch a trailer, to haul it 110 miles to home
setting on my shop floor now.
Can't really find too much info on it on the web
found the Acra website but doesn't list older models
but pretty a much a Bridgeport clone so not too big of problem
pretty decent shape cept for a couple broken handles
and the powerfeed case is smashed.
owner tipped it over at some point unloading it.
just need some serious cleaning,a VFD and a couple parts to get it going
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 13:14:29 -0600, "L Fisk" wrote:

Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??
Guy listed it as Machine mill Acura :-)
was there at first light, and he said he had several
more calls, imagine that!
I handed him $20 bills and got a bill of sale.
And went to fetch a trailer, to haul it 110 miles to home
setting on my shop floor now.
Can't really find too much info on it on the web
found the Acra website but doesn't list older models
but pretty a much a Bridgeport clone so not too big of problem
pretty decent shape cept for a couple broken handles
and the powerfeed case is smashed.
owner tipped it over at some point unloading it.
just need some serious cleaning,a VFD and a couple parts to get it going

Acura is a decent enough Taiwanese made mill. Clone of the BP of
course..though some/most of the fasteners will likely be metric.

Guts on Most of them...will be identical to the BPs..with a few
models/years being way different..primarily the J2 (variable speed
heads)

Good machines. Ways hard enough..chromed ones were better..but for
most "light duty milling" we do..more than good enough.

Sounds like you did just fine. Crank handles/powerfeeds will most
generally come right off a BP and go directly on yours with no issues.

Lots of my commercial customers have Acuras and have no problems not
found in BPs

DROs are a direct swap/match as well.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

this is a great deal!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 13:14:29 -0600, "L Fisk" wrote:

Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??
Guy listed it as Machine mill Acura :-)
was there at first light, and he said he had several
more calls, imagine that!

Had that happen when I bought my 9" SB-"A" Guy ahead of me had to make
a phone call but I had the cash in my pocket!

I handed him $20 bills and got a bill of sale.
And went to fetch a trailer, to haul it 110 miles to home
setting on my shop floor now.
Can't really find too much info on it on the web
found the Acra website but doesn't list older models
but pretty a much a Bridgeport clone so not too big of problem
pretty decent shape cept for a couple broken handles
and the powerfeed case is smashed.
owner tipped it over at some point unloading it.
just need some serious cleaning,a VFD and a couple parts to get it going

---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"L Fisk" wrote in message
Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??

On closer inspection today the 5 hp motor is a 3hp
three of us looked at it from the ground and saw 5hp on the tag
but from the amperage it has to be 3hp
good really as a 3hp VFD is much easier and cheaper
going with the Hitachi, WJ200-022SF $315 on Ebay
Unless I find something better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2014 22:01:55 -0600, "L Fisk" wrote:

"L Fisk" wrote in message
Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??

On closer inspection today the 5 hp motor is a 3hp
three of us looked at it from the ground and saw 5hp on the tag
but from the amperage it has to be 3hp
good really as a 3hp VFD is much easier and cheaper
going with the Hitachi, WJ200-022SF $315 on Ebay
Unless I find something better.

You will GENERALLY find a 2 or 2.5hp motor on most BP/clone mills.
3hp is rather unusual.

Your mill is a slightly beefier version..as one can tell by the
weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fysGs_uZ928

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"L Fisk" wrote in message
Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??

You will GENERALLY find a 2 or 2.5hp motor on most BP/clone mills.
3hp is rather unusual.

Your mill is a slightly beefier version..as one can tell by the
weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fysGs_uZ928

Clearly stamped 3hp but is a Jih Chin taiwan induction motor
so probably only as strong as a 2hp Baldor :-)
writing is kinda faded but can see a .6 under 230v and 4.3 @440v
9.6 amp should be bout right for a 3ph 3hp motor @230v
I will put a amp gauge on it when I get it wired and see.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 18:52:36 -0600, "L Fisk" wrote:

.. .
"L Fisk" wrote in message
Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??

You will GENERALLY find a 2 or 2.5hp motor on most BP/clone mills.
3hp is rather unusual.

Your mill is a slightly beefier version..as one can tell by the
weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fysGs_uZ928

Clearly stamped 3hp but is a Jih Chin taiwan induction motor
so probably only as strong as a 2hp Baldor :-)
writing is kinda faded but can see a .6 under 230v and 4.3 @440v
9.6 amp should be bout right for a 3ph 3hp motor @230v
I will put a amp gauge on it when I get it wired and see.

Dont bother.

2hp is good enough for what it was made for. Simply make chips and
enjoy!!

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/4/2014 11:01 PM, L Fisk wrote:

"L Fisk" wrote in message
Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??

On closer inspection today the 5 hp motor is a 3hp
three of us looked at it from the ground and saw 5hp on the tag
but from the amperage it has to be 3hp
good really as a 3hp VFD is much easier and cheaper
going with the Hitachi, WJ200-022SF $315 on Ebay
Unless I find something better.

And one never knows what specmanship is going on - is that 5hp stall ?

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Good gloat, Leon. You suck!

I just survived a trip to California to watch my niece get married,
but I picked up a cold/flu bug. It sucked all the fun out of the trip
to _Gunnerland_, if you can believe that. I had a chance to get to the
range with Gunner and had to pass it up. I could barely stand up, let
alone run around a rifle range. ****ED ME OFF, IT DID. I'm hoping I
can get back to work next Monday, just before a rainstorm comes in to
ruin the rest of my week.

I came home with a little MIG setup (repairable, no feed drive but a
spool gun attached), a leetle 25A plasma cutter, a table saur, a 50'
roll of artist's canvas, some scrap s/s and plain steel cutoffs, a
dual-trace o-scope, a DVM, a sweep gen, a dozen blacksmithing and
metalworking hammers, an axe, 30# of various stick and TIG filler,
some TIG electrodes, a small gen head I can power with a bicycle or
gas engine, a bicycle stand, plus a few hundred pounds of various and
good "stuff", and a disk drive full of survival info. So I get to
gloat, too. /neener

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 07:26:29 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Glad you were willing to clean off a couple shelves for me. As you
probably noticed..didnt do much to reduce the Stacks O Stuff very much
though..sigh...

Dropped you a voice mail checking to see if you made it home ok. Glad
to see you made it.

Next time down..we will go out to the range. Its not wheelchair
friendly.

(Grin)

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, what I SHOULD have done is offered to let you strap me onto a
hand truck and go shooting that day. I couldn't have made it
otherwise. Whew!

I was out of breath just brewing coffee, cooking bacon, strangling
eggs, and plopping a cold pastry this morning, fer chrissake.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"L Fisk" wrote in message

"L Fisk" wrote in message
Not to exciting to you eastern boys
but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill
for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ??

On closer inspection today the 5 hp motor is a 3hp
three of us looked at it from the ground and saw 5hp on the tag
but from the amperage it has to be 3hp
good really as a 3hp VFD is much easier and cheaper
going with the Hitachi, WJ200-022SF $315 on Ebay
Unless I find something better.

That is a variable speed mill, if you put a VFD on it there is a very real
risk of overheating the motor or shattering the rotor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/13/2014 11:52 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
That is a variable speed mill, if you put a VFD on it there is a very real
risk of overheating the motor or shattering the rotor.

Why would it being a variable speed mill make a difference?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...
On 10/13/2014 11:52 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
That is a variable speed mill, if you put a VFD on it there is a very real
risk of overheating the motor or shattering the rotor.

Why would it being a variable speed mill make a difference?

Cooling fan speed is dependant on motor rpms, if it is run at low speed under all but very light shaft loading the motor will overheat due to insufficient air flow across the windings.

Results of drill / mill combo and G5774 R-8 END MILL HOLDER SET Louis Ohland Metalworking 0 July 28th 09 03:29 PM
GLOAT new mill Karl Townsend Metalworking 9 May 17th 08 03:53 AM
Man makes 86 YO mother split own wood! Was: Possible Gloat/real gloat LRod Woodworking 0 May 3rd 06 04:32 PM
Lathe/Mill gloat afdr9lk Metalworking 1 August 22nd 05 02:58 AM
Horizontal mill: regular arbor cutters or end mill adapter? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 5 March 14th 04 01:45 AM