Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bending angle by notching to bake round corner.

Several years back someone wrote up a technique to bend angle iron by cuttinging a series of slots rather than a vee notch so you ended up with a nice round corner.

Anybody still have this info still?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Several years back someone wrote up a technique to bend angle iron
by cuttinging a series of slots rather than a vee notch so you ended
up with a nice round corner.

Anybody still have this info still?

I don't remember any special "technique" beyond the obvious but you
can adjust the curvature to taste by resawing each slot after bending
it shut.

Practice on thin cardboard to make a template.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 01:00:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Several years back someone wrote up a technique to bend angle iron by cuttinging a series of slots rather than a vee notch so you ended up with a nice round corner.

Anybody still have this info still?

I don't remember seeing that, or I would have downloaded it. Maybe
it's on the Dropbox site.
http://www.mwdropbox.com/

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Several years back someone wrote up a technique to bend angle iron by cuttinging a series of slots
rather than a vee notch so you ended up with a nice round corner.

Anybody still have this info still?

Shouldn't be much different then bending wood.
https://www.google.com/search?num=50....0.oFtYjH3ETHA
Or google "kerf bending wood"
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 12:04:36 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

wrote in message
Several years back someone wrote up a technique to bend angle iron by cuttinging a series of slots
rather than a vee notch so you ended up with a nice round corner.

Anybody still have this info still?

Shouldn't be much different then bending wood.
https://www.google.com/search?num=50....0.oFtYjH3ETHA
Or google "kerf bending wood"
Art

Tried doing that with red cedar more than 30 years oldand things got
ugly so got me some clear pine, cut my kerfs, soacked it in water then
bent it around my form to make 8 inch ID curves.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada