Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Kluber Grease vs Moly Kote BG20

I'm getting ready to reassemble a quill spindle, and I have two choice for
grease. The guy who sent me the spindle sent me a small film canister of
"Kluber" grease. He said it was the cat's meow for spindle bearings, but I
can't really tell exactly what it is since he sent it in generic film
canister. 1`

I also have most of a squeeze tube of MolyKote BG-20 left over from when I
regreased the Yuasa speeder I picked up. Its rated for high speed, high
load, and high heat. It is some pretty decent looking stuff on paper, and I
know exactly what it is as its in the original factory packaging. I've got
enough in the tube to lube dozens of bearings. My instinct is to pitch the
film canister and use the MolyKote, but I was wondering if there was any
inherent problem with using this stuff in a "normal speed" application.
96-3600 RPM. Loads upto about 3 horsepower before VFD programming trips an
error.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:02:42 PM UTC, Bob La Londe wrote:

The guy who sent me the spindle sent me a small film canister of

"Kluber" grease. He said it was the cat's meow for spindle bearings,

Google is your friend in this case. I got a CNC website that sells kluber gease for spindles. Very expensive grease.

I would probably go with the kluber grease.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:29:59 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:02:42 PM UTC, Bob La Londe wrote:

The guy who sent me the spindle sent me a small film canister of

"Kluber" grease. He said it was the cat's meow for spindle bearings,

Google is your friend in this case. I got a CNC website that sells kluber gease for spindles. Very expensive grease.

I would probably go with the kluber grease.

Dan

"Kluber" doesn't mean much more than "Mobil" or "Chevron." I repacked
a spindle this week with Kluber Isoflex NBU 15, which is probably the
expensive stuff you saw. About $30 for a toothpaste tube. On the other
hand, there's some Kluber grease here on the shelf that's meant for
low speed bearings - about $10 for a grease gun cartridge.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Friday, September 26, 2014 9:02:42 PM UTC, Bob La Londe wrote:

The guy who sent me the spindle sent me a small film canister of

"Kluber" grease. He said it was the cat's meow for spindle bearings,

Google is your friend in this case. I got a CNC website that sells kluber
gease for spindles. Very expensive grease.

I would probably go with the kluber grease.

Dan

Well, I did do a Google search inspite of the fact that Google is not my
friend and seeks to use everything I do on the internet to increase their
database of saleable data.

I found that Kluber is the name of a company like Texaco or Chevron or
PepsiCo, and they make a huge variety of products. Not knowing exactly what
is in the little can of ubber Kluber grease I was hoping for some help from
actual people who might provide some guidance. Since the Dow Corning
manufactured MolyKote BG20 can specifically be found and it claims specs far
and above the needs of the application I was leaning towards using it.
While it might not be "better" than the ubber Kluber stuff I KNOW its
intended for harsh bearing applications.

Anyway, that's why I asked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:02:42 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

My first thought was the moly grease that is used to pack CV joints
in front wheel drive cars. High pressure, high temperature, high speed
application. I've got about half a dozen tubes of the stuff (VW Audi)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Extreme pressure, reasonably high temperature, but not high speed. A
car's wheels at highway speed typically turn less than 1,000 rpm.

Your spindle shouldn't generate so much heat that you need
high-temperature capability. My understanding of machine tool spindle
lubes is that they should be high-pressure, low-friction (no more
viscosity than you need) types, and that they must stick to bearings.

In terms of brands and types, though, I'm decades out of touch and
can't help.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And the speed of the wheel at highway speed has nothing to do with the
speed of the bearings in the joint.That depends on how tight the turn
is. And how big the bearing is. Nothing to do with wheel speed,
because in a straight line the U joint bearings virtually do not move

Your spindle shouldn't generate so much heat that you need
high-temperature capability. My understanding of machine tool spindle
lubes is that they should be high-pressure, low-friction (no more
viscosity than you need) types, and that they must stick to bearings.

In terms of brands and types, though, I'm decades out of touch and
can't help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I believe that CV joints are always sliding at wheel speed, unless the
half-axle makes a perfectly straight line from one end to the wheel
hub.

Your spindle shouldn't generate so much heat that you need
high-temperature capability. My understanding of machine tool spindle
lubes is that they should be high-pressure, low-friction (no more
viscosity than you need) types, and that they must stick to bearings.

In terms of brands and types, though, I'm decades out of touch and
can't help.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

At a 40 degree angle the angular velocity of the bearings varries
from .766 to 1.3+ times nominal speed. Also, rpm is a pretty useless
measure of speed in a bearing. What is important is the feet per
second movement in the bearing.

See
http://www.sdp-si.com/D757/couplings3.htm for more information.
..
Also, doing a bit of research I would say NOT to use moly grease on a
high speed roller bearing -
Greases containing moly are recommended for roller bearings subjected
to very heavy loads and shock loading, especially in slow or
oscillating motion such as found in universal joints and CV joints. If
such greases are used in high-speed bearings, problems can be
experienced with roller “skidding” where the bearing roller fails to
rotate through the full 360 degrees due to reduced friction. As a
result, the roller develops flat spots, and its service life is
reduced. (from an article in "machinery lubrication" magazine.)

So I'll retract my suggestion to use the CV Joint grease. regardless
WHAT speed is encountered in the joint.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Kluber nbu15 is the one that's specifically desired for machine tool spindle
bearings, I seriously doubt that it's something else in the cannister, and I
suggest that you should use it.

The usual procedure is to use a syringe to figure out how much it takes to
completely fill the space between one set of balls, multiply that amount by
the number of balls and then divide it by three to arrive at your total
volume. Or in other words you want to fill 1/3 of the space between each
ball with grease.

Do not do this in your shop, kitchen table is probably a lot better or at
the very least make sure that there are no drafts and that nobody has been
doing stupid **** like blasting compressed air around or anything like that
for an hour or so before you get started, newsprint is probably okay to work
on okay but plastic sheet is better, work quickly to fill the bearings and
spread the grease around and then immediately put them into plastic sandwich
bags and seal until you're ready to do the actual install.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-27, Bob La Londe wrote:
wrote in message

[ ... ]

Google is your friend in this case. I got a CNC website that sells kluber
gease for spindles. Very expensive grease.

I would probably go with the kluber grease.

[ ... ]

Well, I did do a Google search inspite of the fact that Google is not my
friend and seeks to use everything I do on the internet to increase their
database of saleable data.

Do you know about the duckduckgo search engine?

https://duckduckgo.com/

their motto is:

"The search engine that doesn't track you."

I use it all the time.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 28 Sep 2014 03:57:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2014-09-27, Bob La Londe wrote:
wrote in message

[ ... ]

Google is your friend in this case. I got a CNC website that sells kluber
gease for spindles. Very expensive grease.

I would probably go with the kluber grease.

[ ... ]

Well, I did do a Google search inspite of the fact that Google is not my
friend and seeks to use everything I do on the internet to increase their
database of saleable data.

Do you know about the duckduckgo search engine?

https://duckduckgo.com/

their motto is:

"The search engine that doesn't track you."

I use it all the time.

Enjoy,
DoN.

It is a VERY good search engine and better than Bing etc.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 6:00:36 AM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Its VERY good spindle grease. And Very expensive.

Ive used it rebuilding Hardinge lathe spindles.

https://www.klubershop.com/

I vaguely remembered the name associated with Boston Gear. So checked on the web and sure enough Boston Gear fills their worm gear reducers with a kluber synthetic oil. So it is quality product.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

I took apart an impact driver last night and the amount of junk that
started to stick to the grease was fairy alarming. I think I'm going to
have to clean all the grease out and start fresh. Ugh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, September 26, 2014 5:02:42 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Why don't you ask the guy who sent the grease for the specific part number?