Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some Useful FACTS About Global Warming and Climate Change

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 06:39:18 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Luckily for us, it's easier for them to translate wildly fantastic
ideas into images and dialog. I'm having fun watching the DVDs from
Marvel Comics. Iron Man, Thor, & Agents of Shield are all just
great
fun, while being wonderful escapes from the daily grind.

Then again, those concepts are a bit easier to grok and script than
the war days of Stalingrad.

I watch Shield too, but there's no way I could confuse their CGI FX
with reality, while I could with a "dramatized" history movie.

If you think historical films in the old days were different:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 18:44:38 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Luckily for us, it's easier for them to translate wildly fantastic
ideas into images and dialog. I'm having fun watching the DVDs from
Marvel Comics. Iron Man, Thor, & Agents of Shield are all just
great
fun, while being wonderful escapes from the daily grind.

Then again, those concepts are a bit easier to grok and script than
the war days of Stalingrad.

I watch Shield too,

I'll bet the difference here is that I get them without a single
commercial interruption whatsoever. Crom, what a difference!
The DVDs have 5 episodes on each, so I can watch the lovely
Skye do her thing all night. I'm in lust. MelindaMay ain't so bad,
either, nor is Jemma. The odd one, though, is Phil. He's a cross
between a limp-wristed nerd and a DI, but he pulls it off every time.
Kudos, dude.

but there's no way I could confuse their CGI FX
with reality, while I could with a "dramatized" history movie.

I'm with you on that.

If you think historical films in the old days were different:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation

Eek! I don't think they even tried to be objective, let alone honest.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'll bet the difference here is that I get them without a single
commercial interruption whatsoever. Crom, what a difference!
The DVDs have 5 episodes on each, so I can watch the lovely
Skye do her thing all night. I'm in lust. MelindaMay ain't so bad,
either, nor is Jemma. The odd one, though, is Phil. He's a cross
between a limp-wristed nerd and a DI, but he pulls it off every
time.
Kudos, dude.

The Whedon clan is better at writing for female heroes, beginning with
Ellen Ripley the Alien slayer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'll bet the difference here is that I get them without a single
commercial interruption whatsoever. Crom, what a difference!
The DVDs have 5 episodes on each, so I can watch the lovely
Skye do her thing all night. I'm in lust. MelindaMay ain't so bad,
either, nor is Jemma. The odd one, though, is Phil. He's a cross
between a limp-wristed nerd and a DI, but he pulls it off every
time.
Kudos, dude.

The Whedon clan is better at writing for female heroes, beginning with
Ellen Ripley the Alien slayer.

Whedon wrote "Alien"? Excellent. He also wrote Buffy, one of my
all-time faves. He outdid himself with their witty reparte'.
"Angel" was OK, too, for a male (anti-)hero. Let's see, Serenity,
Firefly, Dollhouse, Titan AE; the man is a screenwriting GOD.

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The Whedon clan is better at writing for female heroes, beginning
with
Ellen Ripley the Alien slayer.

Whedon wrote "Alien"? Excellent. He also wrote Buffy, one of my
all-time faves. He outdid himself with their witty reparte'.
"Angel" was OK, too, for a male (anti-)hero. Let's see, Serenity,
Firefly, Dollhouse, Titan AE; the man is a screenwriting GOD.

He said he was an uncredited Script Doctor on the earlier ones. He was
the listed writer for the fourth, which he'd like to disown.

It's too bad he burned himself out trying to run Buffy plus Angel and
Firefly simultaneously. "The Avengers" was a string of recycled
"Buffy" jokes.

While he had only one show to concentrate on he coaxed better work out
of David Fury, Jane Espenson, Marti Noxon et al than they demonstrated
on later shows; Noxon crashed very badly with Point Pleasant and is
merely adequate on "Glee". I thought Fury's "Lost" scripts were
muddled and Espenson doesn't impress me nearly as much with "Once Upon
A Time" as her "Buffy" hilarity ("and wackiness ensues"), though their
new "Frozen" characters Anna and Elsa (Haig was future daughter Etta
on "Fringe") are worth watching.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Glee? Lost? Sorry, no braindeads here.

muddled and Espenson doesn't impress me nearly as much with "Once Upon
A Time"

Had potential, but never got off the ground.

as her "Buffy" hilarity ("and wackiness ensues"), though their
new "Frozen" characters Anna and Elsa (Haig was future daughter Etta
on "Fringe") are worth watching.

Haig is nice. Fringe ROCKS! (but again, it has much more potential
than it is displaying.)

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Glee? Lost? Sorry, no braindeads here.

Glee has attracted first-rate Broadway triple-threat talent,
unfortunately not on the writing staff. The musical performances are
as good as commercial broadcast TV provides. I clip the songs out with
the Record-while-playing function of the VLC player.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Glee? Lost? Sorry, no braindeads here.

Glee has attracted first-rate Broadway triple-threat talent,

Is that anything as important as "Must-See TV"? snicker
I have about 4 months to go to have in 10 years sans TV. I rank that
up there with my 20 year AA token (which will be 30 years next July)

unfortunately not on the writing staff. The musical performances are
as good as commercial broadcast TV provides. I clip the songs out with
the Record-while-playing function of the VLC player.

IF you like that kind of thing. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't
understand (nor do I care to) things like "plays", "dance" or
"broadway". shrug

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jacques wrote:
I'm the kind of guy who doesn't*understand
(nor do I care to) things like "plays", "dance" or*
"broadway". *shrug*

Yeah, right. I kind of think we all figured that out a while ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:38:51 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

IF you like that kind of thing. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't
understand (nor do I care to) things like "plays", "dance" or
"broadway". shrug

I didn't either until everyone I knew hounded me to grow a beard and
appear on stage in a city bicentennial pageant. Then I discovered it's
where all the pretty girls hang out, looking for the pretty boys (who
are looking for each other.)

In college I had to take some Humanities courses and the Theatre Arts
building was across the street from Chemistry, and not as packed with
communist losers as the other options.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student...cratic_Society

The theatre was happy to have a skilled carpenter to build sets and
didn't mind that I can't sing or dance. I did serve to make everyone
else look better. The courses were all Pass/Fail, without homework,
and no one ever failed.

What really caught my interest was seeing how the directors motivated
the tired actors to continuously perform at their peak all through 14
hour days on their feet. I figured that if I could learn to manage a
construction crew of those all-thumbs actors I could run the largest
corporations.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 16:25:45 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:38:51 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

IF you like that kind of thing. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't
understand (nor do I care to) things like "plays", "dance" or
"broadway". shrug

I didn't either until everyone I knew hounded me to grow a beard and
appear on stage in a city bicentennial pageant. Then I discovered it's
where all the pretty girls hang out, looking for the pretty boys (who
are looking for each other.)

Har! But do you want pretty girls who scream at you in stage voice
all day and sing to you all night? I don't.

In college I had to take some Humanities courses and the Theatre Arts
building was across the street from Chemistry, and not as packed with
communist losers as the other options.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student...cratic_Society

Double ick.

The theatre was happy to have a skilled carpenter to build sets and
didn't mind that I can't sing or dance. I did serve to make everyone
else look better. The courses were all Pass/Fail, without homework,
and no one ever failed.

Cool.

What really caught my interest was seeing how the directors motivated
the tired actors to continuously perform at their peak all through 14
hour days on their feet. I figured that if I could learn to manage a
construction crew of those all-thumbs actors I could run the largest
corporations.

Prolly so, prolly so...

--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

I was in one school play, but ran the sound and repaired the
equipment for other school plays. It was almost as boring to me as
directing and producing a live newscast for AFRTS.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I didn't either until everyone I knew hounded me to grow a beard and
appear on stage in a city bicentennial pageant. Then I discovered
it's
where all the pretty girls hang out, looking for the pretty boys
(who
are looking for each other.)

Har! But do you want pretty girls who scream at you in stage voice
all day and sing to you all night? I don't.

I couldn't know they are -all- flakes without thoroughly checking.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I didn't either until everyone I knew hounded me to grow a beard and
appear on stage in a city bicentennial pageant. Then I discovered
it's
where all the pretty girls hang out, looking for the pretty boys
(who
are looking for each other.)

Har! But do you want pretty girls who scream at you in stage voice
all day and sing to you all night? I don't.

I couldn't know they are -all- flakes without thoroughly checking.

One quickly finds out that her thighs work very well as earmuffs while
one goes about portions of their business.