Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tube rolling help please

Greetings All,
I need to make a bunch of 3 secftion telescoping handles that will be
about 24" expanded and about 8" collapsed. An ovoid cross section is
what I want. I have so far not been able to find the tubing shape I
want and it looks like I'll need to roll my own. Pun intended. So I
think I can start with round thin wall tube and by passing it through
several rollers end up with the shape I want. Anybody here done
anything like this? I'm looking for any suggestions on how best to do
this. My thought is that I can use sets of plastic rollers arranged in
line and pass the tube through each set once or use one set and pass
the tube through several times. The material will most likely be 6063
aluminum with a max wall thickness of .062. The finished size of the
largest handle section should be about 1.25" x .440". The cross
section doesn't need to be a true ellipse, it just needs to be
comfortable to hold and look pleasing to the eye.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wouldn't take much force to mash it between two flat plates in a hydraulic
or arbor press. Use blocks to control the squeeze, and experiment with the
springback until you are happy with the shape. I've done it with 6" pvc
pipe to make water tanks, so I know the shape will come out close to what
you want.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:58:58 -0400, "Steve W."

[...]

What is this for? 8" collapsed X 3 sections would give you a usable
extension of about 21" allowing 1" overlap. With that thickness of
tubing that won't be very strong.

How are you planning to stop the extension?

Greetings Steve,
Can't tell you what it's for. Beyond my pay grade or something. That
about 8" should read about 9". The handle will not need to be very
strong. The extension will be stopped by some sort of spring detent. I
dunno exactly what it is gopig to look like.
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Greetings Carl,
I'll try your method. The finished parts cannot have a flat. But if I
make plates with the shape machined in them that should avoid that.
And if it works it will be fast. Thank You.
Eric

wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Do the simple experiment with two flat plates first - you will be surprised
at the amount of spring back and how oval the final shape will be, guessing
from your target dimensions.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll do that Carl. Just squeeze some tube in the vise and see what
happens.
Thanks Again,
Eric

wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message ...

[...]

Just want to remind you that pulling the right shape thru the tubing will also make it oval.

Dan