Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default LinuxCNC config help...

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?
I'm using the Mesa 5i25 / 7i76 combination and have much of it working,
but some various things to sort out. So much of the docs I find are
hopelessly incomplete, poorly written, not updated in 2-3 years, etc.
This should / would be relatively easy if the docs weren't so bad. I'm
running the latest 2.6.3 package installed from a USB drive onto a SSD
disk in a reasonably fast PC.

Thanks,

Pete C.

PS: Once the lathe is sorted the next project will be to retrofit the
mill with a 5i25 / 7i77 combo and add 4th axis. I acquired a
super-spacer that will make a decent 4th if I can find a good servo
motor and encoder for it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:42:53 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

I've looked there as well as the LinuxCNC.org forum and still haven't
found good references. The LinuxCNC.org forum doesn't seem to be posting
properly either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am sorry that I am of no help, I forgot everything, my machine is
till working but I cannot advise on any new set-up

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.

I pretty much hand code lathes. Almost no such thing as a complex
gcode for lathe. I do use a program called NCplot to give me a gcode
of the final profile. It imports a .dxf file and outputs gcode. You
have to edit in tool changes etc. but its quick 'n easy on a lathe. i
should add, I pretty much hand code mills too. just how I was brought
up.

My son is a professional user of Mastercam and Tebis, if I ever needed
it. Maybe you should get Tebis, its purdy good. Cost is only $80K plus
$2K a quarter for support.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.

I pretty much hand code lathes. Almost no such thing as a complex
gcode for lathe. I do use a program called NCplot to give me a gcode
of the final profile. It imports a .dxf file and outputs gcode. You
have to edit in tool changes etc. but its quick 'n easy on a lathe. i
should add, I pretty much hand code mills too. just how I was brought
up.

My son is a professional user of Mastercam and Tebis, if I ever needed
it. Maybe you should get Tebis, its purdy good. Cost is only $80K plus
$2K a quarter for support.

Karl

I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

Yep, I just tryed my CAD to NCplot and that don't work. I don't have a
way to engrave without asking my son to do it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

I spent close to a year hand-coding the common office fonts for this
ink jet printer, one dot at a time.
http://tinyurl.com/q8aalpm

The thick ink buildup around lab ink-jet test fixtures inspired 3D
printing.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:44:59 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.

I pretty much hand code lathes. Almost no such thing as a complex
gcode for lathe. I do use a program called NCplot to give me a gcode
of the final profile. It imports a .dxf file and outputs gcode. You
have to edit in tool changes etc. but its quick 'n easy on a lathe. i
should add, I pretty much hand code mills too. just how I was brought
up.

My son is a professional user of Mastercam and Tebis, if I ever needed
it. Maybe you should get Tebis, its purdy good. Cost is only $80K plus
$2K a quarter for support.

That's a per-_seat_ cost, right?

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16/09/14 14:13, Pete C. wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
BTW, suggestions on the software end for lathe code? I use TurboCAD, and
have been using SheetCAM for milling.

I pretty much hand code lathes. Almost no such thing as a complex
gcode for lathe. I do use a program called NCplot to give me a gcode
of the final profile. It imports a .dxf file and outputs gcode. You
have to edit in tool changes etc. but its quick 'n easy on a lathe. i
should add, I pretty much hand code mills too. just how I was brought
up.

My son is a professional user of Mastercam and Tebis, if I ever needed
it. Maybe you should get Tebis, its purdy good. Cost is only $80K plus
$2K a quarter for support.

Karl

I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

Years ago I used an obscure Windows API function GetGlyphOutline ()
IIRC, back in 3.1 days, to do a basic TrueType font to G code program
and it basically worked although I had been given the wrong details for
the Z direction so had it reversed. We tried it with the guy that had
asked me to do it and showed that it worked in principal but he got rid
of the machine the next day so didn't have any more opportunity to
correct the Z issue and test. The function was very badly documented and
a Windows guru said as much in his writings but hidden in the depths of
the MSDN documentation was the details of how to use it correctly from
the guru IIRC, the standard Windows API info didn't give up that secret.
I think I still have the C source code around if you're interested. I
have subsequently used the same basic code and added it into a PCB
program I wrote to allow the generation of PCBs with TrueType based
fonts to be done with Gerber or HPGL. IIRC I have recently seen a Linux
program that does TT to HPGL or G Code but can't think of the name but
have seen it a few time before so not likely hard to find.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

I've looked there as well as the LinuxCNC.org forum and still haven't
found good references. The LinuxCNC.org forum doesn't seem to be posting
properly either.

is working, I think

Nope, I sent email there, and subscribed to the list as well, and it's
not showing up. WTF? Every so called support site for LinuxCNC seems to
be pure crap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

I've looked there as well as the LinuxCNC.org forum and still haven't
found good references. The LinuxCNC.org forum doesn't seem to be posting
properly either.

is working, I think

Nope, I sent email there, and subscribed to the list as well, and it's
not showing up. WTF? Every so called support site for LinuxCNC seems to
be pure crap.

I received four messages on that list, today.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Iggy? John? Anyone want to help a bit with my configuration for a lathe?

if you don't get help here, try CNCzone.com. Lots of linux heads
there.

I'm a regular on one forum, Camsoft.

karl

I've looked there as well as the LinuxCNC.org forum and still haven't
found good references. The LinuxCNC.org forum doesn't seem to be posting
properly either.

is working, I think

Nope, I sent email there, and subscribed to the list as well, and it's
not showing up. WTF? Every so called support site for LinuxCNC seems to
be pure crap.

I received four messages on that list, today.

I don't know what happened to the first post I made, but the second one
finally made it through. Then I of course ran into the issue of the
daily message limit per IP on my mail server and missed a few before I
increased that setting 10X. At least I could read the missed ones on
sourceforge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Definitely better response on the mail list, though despite the help I
ended up identifying the spindle control issue myself. Looks like it
might be a bug in PnCConf too.

Progress at any rate, axes working (still need to tune for optimum),
homing working, now spindle control working...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

I spent close to a year hand-coding the common office fonts for this
ink jet printer, one dot at a time.
http://tinyurl.com/q8aalpm

The thick ink buildup around lab ink-jet test fixtures inspired 3D
printing.

Before, or after Wayne Green discussed the idea in his magazines? It
was either in early issues of Byte, or in 73.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

I spent close to a year hand-coding the common office fonts for
this
ink jet printer, one dot at a time.
http://tinyurl.com/q8aalpm

The thick ink buildup around lab ink-jet test fixtures inspired 3D
printing.

Before, or after Wayne Green discussed the idea in his magazines?
It
was either in early issues of Byte, or in 73.

I knew Wayne Green at the time, from Mensa, and he never said anything
about it.

When I went to Mitre I became his bad example of someone who 'hid' in
the Military-Industrial Complex instead of continuing to risk my
fortunes in private enterprise.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

I spent close to a year hand-coding the common office fonts for
this
ink jet printer, one dot at a time.
http://tinyurl.com/q8aalpm

The thick ink buildup around lab ink-jet test fixtures inspired 3D
printing.

Before, or after Wayne Green discussed the idea in his magazines?
It
was either in early issues of Byte, or in 73.

I knew Wayne Green at the time, from Mensa, and he never said anything
about it.

It was in one of his editorials about early personal computing,
before you bought something off the shelf. He also talked about
adapting CD players into a method to distribute programs. BTW a lot of
his magazines are on http://www.archive.org where you can download them
for free.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, we discussed putting software CDs in the magazine. I didn't
think they would survive the mails unless protected by corrugated
cardboard. He did, and was right. My homebrew computer could read only
Teletype tape or its own 600 baud FSK cassette tapes so I had to
manually type in the magazine's programs anyway.

The genesis of 3D printing was the piezoelectric ink jet that
accurately shot out tiny well-controlled single spherical drops of
125C molten plastic. It took a lot of time and effort to learn how to
do that, instead of multiple or wildly wobbling drops of varying size.
The basic idea is as simple and obvious (and crude) as piling up drops
of wax or hot-melt glue.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
I definitely don't hand code for CNC text engraving...

I spent close to a year hand-coding the common office fonts for this
ink jet printer, one dot at a time.
http://tinyurl.com/q8aalpm

The thick ink buildup around lab ink-jet test fixtures inspired 3D
printing.

Before, or after Wayne Green discussed the idea in his magazines? It
was either in early issues of Byte, or in 73.

The First 3-D machine that made large models was in the Show on
MECHANICAL Engineering - and Big Machines - in Santa Clara convention
center in 2000, maybe 2001. I was visiting the MITS Carbide booth and
it was across the isle. They had a model printing out during the show
and it was ready for the foundry once verified by the customer. Very
expensive. It was in a hard wax. Not Bee or the like. It wasn't the
first time out of the bag for them, but I don't know how long.

I was the Eng Manager, DRAM , NA and had a friend in Carbide I wanted to
visit. Scored a badge and got a few samples :-)

Ah the old days - early PC-XT and Laser Printer - 86 as I recall - came
out of Canada think tank...

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
[...]

Wayne Greene was talking about the idea in the '70s or '80s. Back
when a PC was built from scratch, or surplus mini/mainframe junk.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C. wrote:

[...]

At one time he talked about shipping software on LP vinyl records.

The genesis of 3D printing was the piezoelectric ink jet that
accurately shot out tiny well-controlled single spherical drops of
125C molten plastic. It took a lot of time and effort to learn how to
do that, instead of multiple or wildly wobbling drops of varying size.
The basic idea is as simple and obvious (and crude) as piling up drops
of wax or hot-melt glue.
-jsw

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
[...]

And people were talking about flight long before Wilbur and Orville,
but they get the credit because they made it work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C. wrote:

[...]

I vaguely remember a discussion about mailing test samples back to
himself to see what would survive the handling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
[...]

He described the process, but he called it a 'Santa Claus Machine'
instead of a 3D printer. He had enough on his hands with the magazines.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C. wrote:

[...]

The logistics for compiling software collections and making LPs,
distributing them, then feeding them into computers in place of cassette
tapes was very cumbersome. Also, wanting to sell them retail would take
up a lot of shelf space in stores when compared to Cassettes.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C. wrote:

[...]

The distribution we discussed was CDs (etc) in packets glued to the
back cover of Byte, containing the programs described in that issue.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

The genesis of 3D printing was the piezoelectric ink jet that
accurately shot out tiny well-controlled single spherical drops of
125C molten plastic. It took a lot of time and effort to learn how to
do that, instead of multiple or wildly wobbling drops of varying size.
The basic idea is as simple and obvious (and crude) as piling up drops
of wax or hot-melt glue.
-jsw

Sometime in the 2nd half of the 80s, on one of my visits to MIT, I was
taken across campus by my host and shown a project he was consulting
on: A 3D printer jury rigged from a dot matrix printer, a computer or
two and a mare's nest of tubes and cables.

They were experimenting with several media but when I was there, they
were using tiny metal spherules, laying down strata consisting of a
pattern of glue followed by a uniform layer of metal powder, one line
at a time. The result, after excess, unglued powder removal, was
sintered and then permeated by osmosis with a different low-melting
point metal. Biggest object would about fit in a 4" or 5" cube.

I have no idea whether those guys are all millionaires now or if they
shingled off onto the fog and the big bucks landed elsewhere.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Pete C. wrote:

[...]

That was years after his idea of using LPs. He had also suggested
using CDs in place of cassttes or records in analog format, which would
have been quite wasteful.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-10-12, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

I knew Wayne Green at the time, from Mensa, and he never said
anything about it.

It was in one of his editorials about early personal computing,
before you bought something off the shelf. He also talked about
adapting CD players into a method to distribute programs. BTW a lot
of his magazines are on http://www.archive.org where you can
download them for free.

Yeah, we discussed putting software CDs in the magazine. I didn't
think they would survive the mails unless protected by corrugated
cardboard. He did, and was right. My homebrew computer could read only
Teletype tape or its own 600 baud FSK cassette tapes so I had to
manually type in the magazine's programs anyway.

At one time he talked about shipping software on LP vinyl records.

Not just *talked* about it. There were a very few programs
shipped on the flexible records bound into magazines. They assumed a
specific audio cassette interface -- which usually was incomplatable
with mine -- and a specific CPU (which usually was not my MC6800. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail