Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eat mo' squirrel

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:43:40 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 20:43:48 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
news:H5qdnVJeQ7Xi4oLJnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink .com...
On 9/21/2014 2:21 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
On 9/18/2014 8:20 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

(Snipped to demonstrate the marvels of advanced technology!)

Got it up to 657.
I think that's as high as the old girl is going to go now.

Dieseling is very bad for your gun. It will damage the dump valve.

You problem may be a week hammer spring is not dumping the dump valve
fast enough, but its more likely that your pump seal is dry and your
gun
is not pumping efficiently.

657 feet per second from a Daisy pump is not weak!

Depends on the projectile. If it's a copper plated steel BB that's a
bit
slow. If it's a 14+ grain pellet its screaming fast. LOL. They claim
750
FPS with a BB, but 700-730 is realistic.

That would probably be a fair speed if you are shooting the typical 7+
grain pellet like a Crossman premier.

I was referring to the difference between your current speed and your
previously posted speed.

For comparison my Nitro Piston bone stock shoots 10.5 grain dome
pellets
around 845 FPS.

Ok, gotcha.

I just saw the mew Daisy "Powerline 880" on the shelves at wallyworld.
They say 800 FPS on the box. $44

Mine was $30 new.

I saved money and worked in the grocery store as a kid to buy mine. Don't
recall what it cost anymore, but I think that was in 1978. Might have
been
1979. I made enough money shooting gophers for the 50¢ bounty to buy my
first powder rifle. A Sears (not a Ted Williams) .22 semi auto rimfire
old
enough not to have a serial number. It made me enough money to buy my
next
three guns. None of which made me any money. LOL.

I would take any promotional numbers from Daisy (or Crosman) with a huge
grain of salt. The published numbers on Pyramid Air are 750 for an 880
with
BBs. I didn't see any Chronied shot strings from them. Personally owning
one that was built before they turned them into all plastic toys I think
even that is overly optimistic. I've gotten back into air gunning this
last
year, and they seem to be accumulating. I've never owned a PCP rifle
before
either, but I've found modest deals on two of them that should be arriving
next week, or rather this week now I guess. Time to see if I can find a
smoking deal on a SCUBA tank compressor. Either that or see who sells
compressed Nitrogen at the best price, and find a high pressure regulator
for it.

I might be able to come up with some regulator/gauges that will do the
job for you. I have a number of odd ones among the 30 odd O/A gauges
taking up space

Gunner

I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go with compressed nitrogen for
pressurizing. For now I'll just get a massive workout with a hand pump.
Might set up locomotive style electric drive since I have some extra servo
motors laying around. Only problem I see with that is that hand pumps
really require a pause at each end of the stroke to work most efficiently.
I don't really want to dedicate a CNC setup to a hand pump. LOL.

If I didn't throw it out, I may still have a nitrogen gauge (maybe
with a regulator -- I haven't seen it for 30 years) that I used for
bubbling nitrogen in my sheet-film developing tanks.

If you have a need for it, remind me, and I'll look through my junk
boxes.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

A simple powered wheel with the pump handle connected to a point on
the side of the wheel seems to work well. Most air compressors do
exactly that.

Also..check Ebay for small High Pressure gas pumps. A friend bought
one for $100 and shipping that will do bout 5000 psk in a rather short
period of time. Like..4 minutes..and it will pump things like CO2
from the tank, same with nitrogen from a tank as well as simple "air"

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds like an assist pump. If I purchased a pump for this I 'ld want
to be able to run from ambient or atleast not need much more push than shop
air. The Shoebox and the Freedom 8 both run with shop air as the initial
push, and will pump upto 4500PSI. They are kind a pricey though at about
half the price of a decent used SCBA tank compressor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-22, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

[ ... ]

I might be able to come up with some regulator/gauges that will do the
job for you. I have a number of odd ones among the 30 odd O/A gauges
taking up space

[ ... ]

I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go with compressed nitrogen for
pressurizing. For now I'll just get a massive workout with a hand pump.
Might set up locomotive style electric drive since I have some extra servo
motors laying around. Only problem I see with that is that hand pumps
really require a pause at each end of the stroke to work most efficiently.
I don't really want to dedicate a CNC setup to a hand pump. LOL.

Machine a cam on a gearmotor. Say 3/4 of the circumference for
the compression stroke, 1/8 for the pause, and 1/8 for the return stroke
-- unless the pause needs to be longer. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2014-09-22, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Still trying to get my head around that, but also the stroke on hand pumps
is fairly long.

Do I evict the squirrel? Tabby UK diy 3 June 12th 11 10:13 PM
Do I evict the squirrel? Robin UK diy 3 June 12th 11 06:22 PM
Do I evict the squirrel? Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 0 June 12th 11 01:43 PM
HELP--Squirrel's john246 Home Repair 9 May 13th 07 03:57 PM
squirrel repellant oreo123 Home Repair 19 May 8th 05 01:38 AM