Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Eat mo' squirrel

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:49:43 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:56:17 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

I have trapped hundreds of squirrels using a Hav-a-hart squirrel trap.
Traps probably 8X8X24 and has two doors, although I lock the back one
closed.

I only have one, and it's one of the big ones intended for raccoons.
However, it works fine for squirrels, too.

This summer: One raccoon, two 'possums, two squirrels, and one cat.

Peanut butter on toast worked the best for me. Dump the trap in a
garbage
can of water, occupant included, then clean for supper.

Aw, I couldn't do that. But I'd shoot 'em or club 'em.

Careful. The anti's take particular exception to clubbing even though you
can kill an animal with a club just as quickly as with a gun.

They're tougher to skin than a rabbit, but I can dress one out and
have him quartered in about three or four minutes.

How is cleaning the pelvic cavity? That always seems to be the toughest
part for me with a rabbit.

Hmm. I don't remember any particular problems with that. I dress them
before skinning, to keep any glorp off of the flesh.

Squirrel skin doesn't peel off as easily as it does with a rabbit.
I've read it's because squirrels don't have the layer of fat that
rabbits have, nut I never saw a layer of fact under the skin of a
rabbit, either. I can skin a rabbit with two hands but I usually make
a string noose for squirrelts, and tie it to my dressing board.

I have a buddy who used to raise rabbits. For Thanksgiving he would bring
over a huge farm raised bunny, and they definitely had some fat on them. I
never dropped a wild cottontail that I saw noticeable fat on though. Used
to eat quite a lot of mesquite grilled cotton tail back in the late 80s and
early 90s when I ran traps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:34:58 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:11:14 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Skin from feet to head. Here in ET they have hangers for the feet and
pull the skin off.

I think the idea - almost no meat skins easier. Direction makes a
difference. Squirrel hunters here from a young age.

Somebody told me that once but I never got the hang of it. I've cased
a lot of muskrats, and I tried doing the squirrels the same way. But
working the skin over the hind legs just didn't work the same. I just
tore the skin.

I'll probably not try it again. We have to hunt squirrels with a
shotgun in NJ (except for a short mid-winter muzzleloading rifle
season). I hate shooting squirrels with a shotgun and I'm not going
out in mid-winter with a rifle just to shoot a couple of them.

Mom & Dad are gone now but I recall Dad saying Mom shot flying squirrels
while gliding down towards the garden.

Now *that* might make it worthwhile to shoot squirrels with a shotgun.

She and Dad often went to the arcade to shoot at bottles and such while
courting. Moved to N.C. during WWII making Ship Radar and we bought the
polo club house when they moved further out of town. Nice place.
Moved after the war - and after Dad returned from Europe to the west
coast Radar on B-36's.

Martin

Friend used to pop them out of trees with a .177 co2 pellet gun by
shooting the tree just under their belly. The flying bark took them
out.

I asssume that he told you this, and that you're not saying you
actually saw it happen. d8-)

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:23:20 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2014 1:40 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
On 9/16/2014 1:52 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
m...
On 9/16/2014 7:47 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

In NJ, an air gun is treated like any other gun. And no suppressors
are allowed. They're treated as our state equivalent of Title II
weapons.

You are referring to the suppressor(title II), right.

And you have to register a BB gun???

To be fair a .25 PCP "BB Gun" can easily drop a deer at 50 yards, and
the larger Sam Yang 9mm, has been used for bigger game in Africa. They
make them upto .50 cal, and a neighbor of mine has been working on air
operated automatic cannon with military applications. (well a couple
sections over)

Ok, that sounds a bit more realistic.
I was thinking "Daisy".

You want to talk about pneumatics.

Lewis and Clark carried an air rifle on their famous journey of discovery.

That was the Girandoni.
A seriously advanced piece of metalwork and design at the time.

From wiki

While the detachable air reservoir was capable of around 30 shots it
took nearly 1500 strokes of a hand pump to fill those reservoirs.
Later, a wagon-mounted pump was provided.

The reservoirs themselves, made from hammered sheet iron held together
with rivets and sealed by brazing, proved very difficult to manufacture
using the techniques of the period and were always in short supply.

Pneumatics rifles were used in combat in WWI (although I have not found
a definitive source on that).

In the late 1800s the USS Vesuvius carried pneumatic cannon with a one
mile range, that delivered explosive rounds nearly silently which made
for a tremendous psychological affect compared to conventional cannon.
There is a nice article on Wikipedia about it. One mile was considered
to short, but where it was used it was effective.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
Yep, right at 800 FPS at eight strokes.
That was unexpected!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
Yep, right at 800 FPS at eight strokes.
That was unexpected!

You got an exceptional gun. I've owned a number of air guns over the years,
and 800 FPS even with that piddling light weight copper clad ball is
screaming for a Daisy pump gun. I've got two of them, and I don't think
either of my Daisy rifles shoot BBs that fast. Now my spring piston gun on
the other hand requires heavy weight pellets to shoot right. If I use light
alloys they break the sound barrier on about every third shot or so. Sounds
like a small bore rifle shot when that happens.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
Yep, right at 800 FPS at eight strokes.
That was unexpected!

Wow. I'll say.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
Yep, right at 800 FPS at eight strokes.
That was unexpected!

Wow. I'll say.

I couldn't find the original data.
I guess I tossed it once the real work started.

Waiting for my bride to get home, I grabbed the chrono and set up to try
it again.

Ol' Daisy is a couple of years old now, and has been shot quite a bit.

Best I could get today was 622 fps.
And the linearity of strokes to velocity wasn't there any more.
Starting at five strokes gave 522, 536, 596, and 622.

But the 800 fps number was for real - brand new...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
Yep, right at 800 FPS at eight strokes.
That was unexpected!

Wow. I'll say.

I couldn't find the original data.
I guess I tossed it once the real work started.

Waiting for my bride to get home, I grabbed the chrono and set up to try
it again.

Ol' Daisy is a couple of years old now, and has been shot quite a bit.

Best I could get today was 622 fps.
And the linearity of strokes to velocity wasn't there any more.
Starting at five strokes gave 522, 536, 596, and 622.

But the 800 fps number was for real - brand new...

Not saying it didn't happen. It would have been exceptional though. The
fastest multi pump Daisy I could find listed at Pyramid Air is rated at 750
with BBs. I never felt mine shot as fast as they claim, but if you had a
little oil in the chamber you might have gotten some dieseling. Usually
though if you get dieseling they fly out much faster than 800 and target
poorly as they fly through the turbulence around the speed of sound.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
[...]

Oil the chamber?

Didn't think of that!
Might give it a try and see if the speed comes back up some.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
[...]

NO. Dieseling is very bad for your gun. If you do get detonation it can
severally damage the release valve.

You may need to clean and oil the pump, seal, and wiper. Usually just a
couple drops will last for a very very long time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2014 4:43 PM, Richard wrote:
was capable of around 30 shots it
took nearly 1500 strokes of a hand pump ...

1500 strokes!! Well, OK, that's 50 strokes per shot. Oh, my aching arm.

I wonder what the pressure was.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
[...]

Use pellet gun oil. Its designed to not detonate if a little gets into the
gas reservoir and/or the chamber.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 9/18/2014 4:43 PM, Richard wrote:
was capable of around 30 shots it
took nearly 1500 strokes of a hand pump ...

1500 strokes!! Well, OK, that's 50 strokes per shot. Oh, my aching arm.

I wonder what the pressure was.

Lots of modern PCP guns run at pressures upto 3000PSI, but the pneumatic
cannons on the USS Vesuvius only ran at about 1000PSI. It would depend on
the exact design of the gun and the adjustments of the dump valve and dump
valve "hammer". There are guys tuning their PCP rifles today to get nearly
the same velocity out of 1800 to 1300 that out of the box guns are getting
at 3000.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 9/18/2014 4:43 PM, Richard wrote:
was capable of around 30 shots it
took nearly 1500 strokes of a hand pump ...

1500 strokes!! Well, OK, that's 50 strokes per shot. Oh, my aching arm.

I wonder what the pressure was.

Lots of modern PCP guns run at pressures upto 3000PSI, but the pneumatic
cannons on the USS Vesuvius only ran at about 1000PSI. It would depend on
the exact design of the gun and the adjustments of the dump valve and dump
valve "hammer". There are guys tuning their PCP rifles today to get
nearly the same velocity out of 1800 to 1300 that out of the box guns are
getting at 3000.

A quick check of references indicates that Girandoni rifle may have only
been pressurized to about 800 PSI. They also claim it had an effective
range of about 150 yards. I think one of those numbers must be off a little
or they had a dump valve mechanism more efficient than most modern PCPs. A
modern large bore PCP can easily meet the claimed specs and even surpass
them, but with a couple hundred years advancement in technology and
operating at much higher pressure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 9/18/2014 4:43 PM, Richard wrote:
was capable of around 30 shots it
took nearly 1500 strokes of a hand pump ...

1500 strokes!! Well, OK, that's 50 strokes per shot. Oh, my aching arm.

I wonder what the pressure was.

Here is a nice summary of the gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbo8arkKXTg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
[...]

Didn't have any of that.
I have some CLP in a pin oiler, so I put (exactly!) 1/3 of a drop on
a couple of BBs as they went into the breach. (single shot, of course)

When I shot it I saw a puff of "smoke", and the shot didn't register
on the chrono. The next two rounds didn't register either(!)

But then it started showing numbers again.
Got it up to 657.
I think that's as high as the old girl is going to go now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2014 6:35 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 9/18/2014 4:43 PM, Richard wrote:
was capable of around 30 shots it
took nearly 1500 strokes of a hand pump ...

1500 strokes!! Well, OK, that's 50 strokes per shot.

Oh, my aching arm.

Funny. I was just saying the same thing!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a
rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
[...]

Dieseling is very bad for your gun. It will damage the dump valve.

You problem may be a week hammer spring is not dumping the dump valve fast
enough, but its more likely that your pump seal is dry and your gun is not
pumping efficiently.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2014 5:39 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Friend used to pop them out of trees with a .177 co2 pellet gun by
shooting the tree just under their belly. The flying bark took them
out.

I asssume that he told you this, and that you're not saying you
actually saw it happen. d8-)

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

A squirrel hunter I know tried barking them for a while, but decided to
just shoot them in the head, it was easier. He was good enough to get 4
squirrels with 5 rounds. He would go home with dinner when he had 4.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I actually saw him do it with a CO2 handgun. I'm not sure it was a
..177, or .22. He was pretty adept at it. was powerful enough that
today he would need a permit for it here in Canada - which means the
muzzle velocity was higher than 500 ft/second and more than 4.2 lbs
muzzle Energy.. Kinda think it was a crosman, not sure. Looked a lot
like a Benjamin (wood stock, longish pistol - not like a Glock. It was
a multi-shot - may have been a revolver??? Can't remember the details
- it was back in about '66. He shot rats with it, as well as the
squirrels - and the occaisional skunk or raccoon.Powerfull enough to
go through a 1 inch fence-board like butter.And it would go through
the fender of a '51 chevy from 50 feet or so. (used to shoot out at
the gravel pit - and there were always a few wrecks around)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Tried that with my .30 winchester with a red squirrel on a beech tree
but got too much bark. The squirrel went out about six feet then down
to the ground, did an outward spiral gaining about six inches radius
each turn till he got past the tree then went thataway at high speed.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like fun, but to feed yourself, try aiming at the animal
instead of the tree next time, eh, Gerry? Make it a head shot. There
isn't much meat on a Tree Rat.

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:35:35 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I actually did it once with a 36 cal. muzzle loading rifle. Just like
all them old fellows used to.... I think the chances of doing it twice
is similar to Robin Hood splitting a competitor's arrow in the target
with his next arrow.

Yeah. That's one of those things that you should just do once. g

Apparently it grew up around Daniel Boone legands. Decades ago, a
writer for one of the hunting magazines tried it with a variety of
guns, and finally got it to work a couple of times - with a .30/06.

It's a messy way to prune trees.

Speaking of pruning trees, I did some of that when I was in college. I
hunted grouse ("pats") in a Christmas tree stand in northern Michigan.
The pat would take off straight between the rows, and then do a sharp
turn left or right. I'd snap-shoot at the pat, often managing to shoot
the top off of one of the Christmas trees, but rarely hitting the pat.

The house I grew up in had a bg spruce tree out front about 100 feet
from the house. this tree started growing a spindly leader that Dad
wanted to get cut off. We were having lunch with the wood cutting gang
when one chap suggested that since Dad was such a good shot, he should
shoot it off. First couple attempts were not successfull with the
twelve gauge and the originator of the idea told him to use his .303
Savage (open sights). First shot two feet of leader parted company
with the tree. I have also seen him take the head off a partridge at
fifty paces with that rifle.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
[...]

There was a time that I knew the history of air guns (I had a book on
the history of them that I got from the Outdoor Life Book Club, but it
was loaned out once and it's gone). One thing I remember is that
high-pressure, high-velocity air guns are very vulnerable to dieseling
on the lubricating oil. Spring-types are particularly vulnerable, but
other types will do it as well.

A little lubricating oil, dieseling in the gun, can double velocity.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
[...]

I should have read more carefully. I see that you've covered the
subject.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I guess we all get lucky once in a while. Apparently you really have
to explode some wood to kill the squirrel. But if you hit it just
right...

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/18/2014 8:20 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

(Snipped to demonstrate the marvels of advanced technology!)

Got it up to 657.
I think that's as high as the old girl is going to go now.

Dieseling is very bad for your gun. It will damage the dump valve.

You problem may be a week hammer spring is not dumping the dump valve
fast enough, but its more likely that your pump seal is dry and your gun
is not pumping efficiently.

657 feet per second from a Daisy pump is not weak!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Was in a pine tree. Likely wouldn't have worked in a beech??

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ya' got me. That's over my head.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:34:32 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:53:20 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:50:22 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:56:35 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

I had an agricultural tragedy this past weekend. I have a little Red
Haven Semi-dwarf peach tree that I've been nursing along for a few
years, and it just produced its first modest peach crop: 26
beautiful and delicious little peaches.

I was getting ready to check them for ripeness on Saturday when I
saw that my 26 peaches had been reduced to 2. There were four or
five fat squirrels running around my yard with peaches in their
mouths.

The damned horses in the back lot got all my grapes from the back
vine. Then I found some on the side vine and the damned birds got 99%
of those before me. I'm about to go nuclear here.

Count your blessings, at least you don't have deer troulbe

I have A LOT of venison recipies

I don't hunt (yet), but I love nice, gamy venison. Yum! Tried some
raindeer from a restaurant and it tasted like cheap hamburger. Just
horrible. Only _then_ did they tell me it was farm-raised, the
bastids. Never again! Purina Deer Chow my ASS!@

My deer stand is all set up , with rotating chair . The corn has been spread
, the camera is mounted on a tree nearby and it's on and snappin' pics . The
straw bales are set up now , and I've been practicing with one of my bows
(35 lb recurve , will move up to the 47 pounder in a few days) . By the time
the bow season opens in 10 days I should be back in form to slaughter a poor
little innocent deer . I hope the first one is that doe that's been eating
my garden and fruit trees . Poetic justice IMO .

Go for it, Snag. I wonder if the fruit sweetens the meat...

I think my niece is giving me the 75# compound bow she found in her
garage, from a late friend of her dad's. If her dad doesn't show up
to give her away in a few weeks, I'll have that honor myself.

Anyway, when the SHTF, I'll be out joining the hunt purty quickly.

Let me know what the bow actually is when you get it.

I have a tiny little bit of knowledge about archery...just saying

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 9/18/2014 2:38 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Barking" squirrels is an old legend. It can be done -- with a
high-powered rifle, but not with a .22 or an air gun.

Most air gunners go for head shots on tree rats.

Sure. Those of us who hunt them with .22s like to do that, too.

I'm not going to Pennsylvania just to shoot squirrels with a rifle,
though.

I've taken two - and justify them as home-invasion defense.
Walmart .17 caliber Daisy pump-action.

AS an aside, when I first got my chronograph I couldn't wait
until I could arrange it with the range, so I went out back
and set up a back stop on the barn.

From four strokes up to eight, each stroke added 100 fps to a BB.
[...]

And oil the pump seals. Triflow..ie any teflon based lube works well.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Excellent.

_If_ I get it when I stop for her wedding, I'll bring it down with me
to your house. Got any extra aluminum or carbon shaft arrows?
I'll sure get my workout just practicing with that bow.

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually....Im still shooting fiberglass..the last 5 dozen Gordon K2s
that I purchased about 25 yrs ago.

Aluminum tends to tend and bend when one hits a rock out here in the
tules and carbon..MOFOs are unreasonably expensive, But Ill see what
I have in that particular cabinet. Might be some aluminums

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
On 9/18/2014 8:20 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

(Snipped to demonstrate the marvels of advanced technology!)

Got it up to 657.
I think that's as high as the old girl is going to go now.

Dieseling is very bad for your gun. It will damage the dump valve.

You problem may be a week hammer spring is not dumping the dump valve
fast enough, but its more likely that your pump seal is dry and your gun
is not pumping efficiently.

657 feet per second from a Daisy pump is not weak!

Depends on the projectile. If it's a copper plated steel BB that's a bit
slow. If it's a 14+ grain pellet its screaming fast. LOL. They claim 750
FPS with a BB, but 700-730 is realistic.

That would probably be a fair speed if you are shooting the typical 7+ grain
pellet like a Crossman premier.

I was referring to the difference between your current speed and your
previously posted speed.

For comparison my Nitro Piston bone stock shoots 10.5 grain dome pellets
around 845 FPS.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/21/2014 2:21 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, gotcha.

I just saw the mew Daisy "Powerline 880" on the shelves at wallyworld.
They say 800 FPS on the box. $44

Mine was $30 new.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

I saved money and worked in the grocery store as a kid to buy mine. Don't
recall what it cost anymore, but I think that was in 1978. Might have been
1979. I made enough money shooting gophers for the 50¢ bounty to buy my
first powder rifle. A Sears (not a Ted Williams) .22 semi auto rimfire old
enough not to have a serial number. It made me enough money to buy my next
three guns. None of which made me any money. LOL.

I would take any promotional numbers from Daisy (or Crosman) with a huge
grain of salt. The published numbers on Pyramid Air are 750 for an 880 with
BBs. I didn't see any Chronied shot strings from them. Personally owning
one that was built before they turned them into all plastic toys I think
even that is overly optimistic. I've gotten back into air gunning this last
year, and they seem to be accumulating. I've never owned a PCP rifle before
either, but I've found modest deals on two of them that should be arriving
next week, or rather this week now I guess. Time to see if I can find a
smoking deal on a SCUBA tank compressor. Either that or see who sells
compressed Nitrogen at the best price, and find a high pressure regulator
for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 20:43:48 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

om...
"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

I might be able to come up with some regulator/gauges that will do the
job for you. I have a number of odd ones among the 30 odd O/A gauges
taking up space

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

news:H5qdnVJeQ7Xi4oLJnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

I'll keep that in mind if I decide to go with compressed nitrogen for
pressurizing. For now I'll just get a massive workout with a hand pump.
Might set up locomotive style electric drive since I have some extra servo
motors laying around. Only problem I see with that is that hand pumps
really require a pause at each end of the stroke to work most efficiently.
I don't really want to dedicate a CNC setup to a hand pump. LOL.

Do I evict the squirrel? Tabby UK diy 3 June 12th 11 11:13 PM
Do I evict the squirrel? Robin UK diy 3 June 12th 11 07:22 PM
Do I evict the squirrel? Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 0 June 12th 11 02:43 PM
HELP--Squirrel's john246 Home Repair 9 May 13th 07 04:57 PM
squirrel repellant oreo123 Home Repair 19 May 8th 05 02:38 AM