Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shaving cream, old and new

I had been shaving using a Schick "Quattro" razor (suggested by Iggy)
with Gillette "Edge" shaving cream.

While this used to work, more recently I noticed that my shaves were
not as close as they had been. I had the impression that the blade was
skating along the hair without biting at first. Getting a new blade
didn't help. Nor did using a Gillette Trac 2 razor.

Then it hit me that the Edge is very slippery, maybe too slippery.
There has to be an optimum.

Now, shaving cream isn't exactly a new technology. In the mid 1980s I
had flirted with using old-time mug-and-brush shaving cream, and still
had a bar of mug soap from 1986, so I tried it, generating the lather
by rubbing the wetted bar in my hands, and applying the lather to may
face. No mug or brush needed.

This worked very well, and now is my new standard.

The mug shaving soap is still made. My wife found it in the local
grocery store. Probably cost all of $4.00.

..http://www.amazon.com/Williams-Mug-Shaving-Soap-1-75/dp/B00008X5CH

Brand is Williams, and the product has been in continuous production
since 1840. http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:57:00 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

[...]

That reminds me to toss my straight razor into my BOB...

--
Live Simply. Speak Kindly. Care Deeply. Love Generously.
-- anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/14/2014 6:57 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
I had been shaving using a Schick "Quattro" razor (suggested by Iggy)
with Gillette "Edge" shaving cream.

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Schick quit making refill cartridges for the variety (forget the
advertising name for it) some time ago and the ridiculously expensive
and bulky alternatives now available were totally unpalatable to me so
I've reverted to the single blade double-edge safety razor of yore (not
_quite_ back to the straight razor started with ). With it and a
Wilkinson blade (metal) with either Barbasol or Noxema aerosol foam it's
as good as the multi-edge as far as I can tell (or at least care about)...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , dpb wrote:

On 09/14/2014 6:57 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
I had been shaving using a Schick "Quattro" razor (suggested by Iggy)
with Gillette "Edge" shaving cream.

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Schick quit making refill cartridges for the variety (forget the
advertising name for it) some time ago and the ridiculously expensive
and bulky alternatives now available were totally unpalatable to me so
I've reverted to the single blade double-edge safety razor of yore (not
_quite_ back to the straight razor started with ). With it and a
Wilkinson blade (metal) with either Barbasol or Noxema aerosol foam it's
as good as the multi-edge as far as I can tell (or at least care about)...

I used to use the Barbasol as well. I should try it again.

I do think that the two close-spaced blades razors do work better than
the single-blade razors (Trac 2 being the prototype), but I would
hazard that the difference between four close blades and five close
blades is hard to discern. Maybe the three-blade is noticeably better
than two-blade, but I wonder if the difference is worthwhile.

Maybe I'll try the Wilkinson razor, if the experiment isn't too
expensive.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:42:13 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I gave up on Edge a couple of decades ago It's nice and smooth,
but it really jams up a 2+ blade razor in a hurry, and the blades
don't get close enough for a good shave after that.

I'm currently using a cheap, two-blade Gilette "Good News" razor, with
Barbasol. I also have a 30-year-old bar of Williams soap that gets
used when I'm out of Barasol. And I have two straight razors, which I
haven't used since I had a beard, 20 years ago.

I've tried two, three, four, and five-blade razors. The more blades
they have, the more I like them, even though the four- and five-blade
types drag a bit. But they're too damned expensive to make any sense.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

In one chemistry class the prof told us that bar soap works as well as
expensive shaving soap. I tried it, and he was right. Now when the
shower soap gets thin and breaks I toss the pieces into the shaving
mug.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

In , wrote:

[...]

I wasn't able to even find a 2-blade-only alternative locally;
everything on the shelves here I could find was 4+ and ridiculously
expensive plus so humongously bulky I'd never use it.

I also have have difficulty with even the two blades with jamming;
likely because much of my beard is roughly the texture and diameter of
"bob-wahr" altho it seems to be somewhat less with advancing
years...maybe white isn't as tough as brown??? vbg

The expense factor is night 'n day...one can find good, used safety
razors if don't still have one for $10 and under including shipping and
Barbasol from the Dollar General is quite frequently on sale at half of
their discount so often it's only 50-cents for the regular can...

Noxema is more but if you're sensitive it's a little better from that
standpoint ime...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/15/2014 9:59 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

In one chemistry class the prof told us that bar soap works as well as
expensive shaving soap. I tried it, and he was right. ...

I've also tried it in a pinch and I disagree, violently (and painfully
). At least no variety I've found comes even close to the lubricity.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:59:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

I use bar soap when I'm travelling. It saves a lump in my bag. But it
varies all of the place in terms of lubricity. I nicked the hell out
of my neck once upon a time, using a bar I got in a hotel.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brand is Williams, and the product has been in continuous production
since 1840. http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Joe Gwinn

Anybody else know nothing about this?

I haven't shaved in 35 years.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:59:09 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Brand is Williams, and the product has been in continuous production
since 1840. http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Joe Gwinn

Anybody else know nothing about this?

I haven't shaved in 35 years.

Karl

What are you doing, planning for your "rope" escape in case you're
arrested? d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:03:46 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/15/2014 9:59 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

In one chemistry class the prof told us that bar soap works as well as
expensive shaving soap. I tried it, and he was right. ...

I've also tried it in a pinch and I disagree, violently (and painfully
). At least no variety I've found comes even close to the lubricity.

REAL men shave with a safety razor and cold water- Shaving creme???
What's that????? Or a good sharp hunting knife.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anybody else know nothing about this?

I haven't shaved in 35 years.

Karl

What are you doing, planning for your "rope" escape in case you're
arrested? d8-)

Well, I haven't been to the barber in 35 years also. d8-)

Milady cuts my hair. pretty small job for a totally bald guy. I trim
the beard on occasion.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:04:48 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/14/2014 6:57 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
I had been shaving using a Schick "Quattro" razor (suggested by Iggy)
with Gillette "Edge" shaving cream.

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Schick quit making refill cartridges for the variety (forget the
advertising name for it) some time ago and the ridiculously expensive
and bulky alternatives now available were totally unpalatable to me so
I've reverted to the single blade double-edge safety razor of yore (not
_quite_ back to the straight razor started with ). With it and a
Wilkinson blade (metal) with either Barbasol or Noxema aerosol foam it's
as good as the multi-edge as far as I can tell (or at least care about)...

???

I buy a pack of 5-10 double or triple bladed disposable razors from
the 99 cent store for a buck. I get about 2 weeks use out of most of
those individual razors, then I toss it in the can and get another one
out of the package.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/15/2014 1:03 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I buy a pack of 5-10 double or triple bladed disposable razors from
the 99 cent store for a buck. I get about 2 weeks use out of most of
those individual razors, then I toss it in the can and get another one
out of the package.

I don't like the chintzy handles/lack of heft and none of the
disposables I've tried have lasted more than a couple or three
uses...then again, as noted above, the beard isn't nearly as tough as it
once't wuz, either, so maybe it would be different now.

But, if I'm going to shave, I'm going to like to handle the implement
and the disposals just aren't something I like to use. Double-edge
Wilkinsons are only about 25-30 cents each and they will last at least a
week to ten days, anyway. There's a no-name at the Dollar General
that's half that and they're not up to Wilkinson in initial sharpness,
but they stay usable for a week but neither is much of an
outlay--nothing like even the old 2-blade Schick cartridge that went of
of production and order of magnitude difference from most of what is
common now...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:03:46 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 09/15/2014 9:59 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

In one chemistry class the prof told us that bar soap works as
well as
expensive shaving soap. I tried it, and he was right. ...

I've also tried it in a pinch and I disagree, violently (and
painfully
). At least no variety I've found comes even close to the
lubricity.

REAL men shave with a safety razor and cold water- Shaving creme???
What's that????? Or a good sharp hunting knife.

You don't really need the water.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/15/2014 9:42 AM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , dpb wrote:

On 09/14/2014 6:57 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
I had been shaving using a Schick "Quattro" razor (suggested by Iggy)
with Gillette "Edge" shaving cream.

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Schick quit making refill cartridges for the variety (forget the
advertising name for it) some time ago and the ridiculously expensive
and bulky alternatives now available were totally unpalatable to me so
I've reverted to the single blade double-edge safety razor of yore (not
_quite_ back to the straight razor started with ). With it and a
Wilkinson blade (metal) with either Barbasol or Noxema aerosol foam it's
as good as the multi-edge as far as I can tell (or at least care about)...

I used to use the Barbasol as well. I should try it again.

Years ago I thought my teen daughter was spending to much on fancy
shaving cream for her legs, I bought her an 88 cent can of Barbasol.
It didn't take.
Mikek

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:50:56 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

Just remember when you finish using one..flip the water out of it well
and then lay it on its back so the sharp edges are UP. Water will
slowly corrode the edges if its laid cutting edge down.

The ones I like have black handles and green inserts. The first dozen
packages of 5 I bought lasted me over 2 yrs. Get about 15 shaves out
of each and I only shave 3 times a week..on the road most of the time.
Id leave em on the rack in the shower and they would last damned near
a month each. The next 2 packages were not nearly as sharp nor lasted
as long. The last 3 have done pretty good.

99c store.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In , wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I guess knock-offs are good if you can find them, or maybe its the real thing. I just find plain old warm soap lather the best.

I guess you can trust the 99 cent stores after all.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:55:33 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

I've found most of the cheap disposables have a nasty "burr" on the
edge that scratches like the dickens. I generally use the Phili-Shave
"rotary mower" during the week, and a quadra on the weekend. Quadra
lasts about 10 shaves, and my beard is TOUGH.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2014 1:05 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I use bar soap when I'm travelling. It saves a lump in my bag. But it
varies all of the place in terms of lubricity. I nicked the hell out
of my neck once upon a time, using a bar I got in a hotel.

Pears bar soap works great. I use a Merkur razor, and at the moment,
Persona blades from Amazon. Buying in lots of 100 blades, they are cheap
as heck. 100 blades lasts me a long time!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Brand is Williams, and the product has been in continuous production
since 1840. http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Joe Gwinn

Anybody else know nothing about this?

I haven't shaved in 35 years.

Karl

You turnin' Amish..... (That is how you can tell from a distance if
any of the "plain people" are married. Beard = Married, length of beard
gives you an idea of how long)
With the women it depends. The locals wear White bonnets for unmarried,
Blue/Black for married.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

I've been using Wilkinson soap for several years along with Trac II
knock off blades. I tried one of the five blade free samples but it
felt like I was shaving with a file.I only shave my neck and around my
mouth, haven't shaved my jaw line since a hotel fire burned a gap in
my razor blade in 1972.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/15/2014 11:59 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Brand is Williams, and the product has been in continuous production
since 1840. http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Joe Gwinn

Anybody else know nothing about this?

I haven't shaved in 35 years.

Karl

39 and counting, sometime in the spring of '75 was my last shave. I let
the beard get to Gabby Hayes, then trim it back to Yasser Arafat. I've
probably passed by half a dozen shaving "revolutions".

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/15/2014 2:15 PM, amdx wrote:

Years ago I thought my teen daughter was spending to much on fancy
shaving cream for her legs, I bought her an 88 cent can of Barbasol.
It didn't take.
Mikek

Back when I was a teen, my sister borrowed( w/o asking) my double edged
razor to shave her legs. When she was done, she cleaned the blade,
rewrapped it and put it back in the pack. When I got to that blade, it
ripped my cheek up.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Brand is Williams, and the product has been in continuous production
since 1840. http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Joe Gwinn

Anybody else know nothing about this?

I haven't shaved in 35 years.

I don't see the point in shaving either. It seems like a lot of effort for
nothing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:03:16 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Anybody else know nothing about this?

I haven't shaved in 35 years.

Karl

What are you doing, planning for your "rope" escape in case you're
arrested? d8-)

Well, I haven't been to the barber in 35 years also. d8-)

Milady cuts my hair. pretty small job for a totally bald guy. I trim
the beard on occasion.

Bbbut, what about the Brazilians you get? Or is that done with hot
wax and cloth strips? wink cringe

--
Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
-- Matthew Arnold
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 9/16/2014 1:05 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

I use bar soap when I'm travelling. It saves a lump in my bag. But it
varies all of the place in terms of lubricity. I nicked the hell out
of my neck once upon a time, using a bar I got in a hotel.

Pears bar soap works great. I use a Merkur razor, and at the moment,
Persona blades from Amazon. Buying in lots of 100 blades, they are cheap
as heck. 100 blades lasts me a long time!

Jon

Pretty much the same here though I use a wwII vintage instead of a Merkur.
used to get one shave per blade till I decided to remove from the razor,
wipe dry and to NOT reload till next time, doubt it costs more than a penny
a shave now days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2014 3:58 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Pretty much the same here though I use a wwII vintage instead of a Merkur.
used to get one shave per blade till I decided to remove from the razor,
wipe dry and to NOT reload till next time, doubt it costs more than a penny
a shave now days.

Yeah, I too discovered drying the blade makes a big difference in life.
I often skip a day or two between shaves, which clogs the mutli blades.
The Merkur has no such issues. Haven't kept track, but 100 blades at
about $12 lasts me around 2 years. Even now having to pay shipping to
Australia, a pack of blades is cheaper than a 4-pack of multi-blades!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2014 1:02 AM, dpb wrote:

The expense factor is night 'n day...one can find good, used safety
razors if don't still have one for $10 and under including shipping
and Barbasol from the Dollar General is quite frequently on sale at
half of their discount so often it's only 50-cents for the regular
can...

Make sure to get a quality razor. I lucked out on my Merkur, it's the
neat little traveling model, breaks down and stores in a box about 1.5"
square. Cost me $5. Previously used an adjustable Gillette. Prior to
that, went through two new ones from Amazon, both made in China, both
cut the hell out of me. Almost gave up on safety razors. One day looked
down the edge of the blade, and it looked like corrugated tin (well, not
quite, but the cutting edges were NOT straight).

Given the savings, a new Merkur at $50-60 will still pay off quickly.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

Bar soap varies as to how much grease it contains. Caswell-Massey
Almond soap does work well for shaving, and keeps my skin from drying
out and incessantly itching.

The secret of mug soap is tallow.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 9/16/2014 3:58 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Pretty much the same here though I use a wwII vintage instead of a Merkur.
used to get one shave per blade till I decided to remove from the razor,
wipe dry and to NOT reload till next time, doubt it costs more than a penny
a shave now days.

Yeah, I too discovered drying the blade makes a big difference in life.
I often skip a day or two between shaves, which clogs the mutli blades.
The Merkur has no such issues. Haven't kept track, but 100 blades at
about $12 lasts me around 2 years. Even now having to pay shipping to
Australia, a pack of blades is cheaper than a 4-pack of multi-blades!

My discovery is that it's necessary to hot-rinse the shaver and store
it edge-up to dry, to prevent both clogging and blunting due to
corrosion.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In article , dpb wrote:

[...]

I find that it's necessary to hot-rinse the razor and store it edge-up
for drying, to prevent dulling due to corrosion.

I smack the razor against my palm to get the water out. Some brands
and/or models disassemble when I smack them, so I don't use those
brands or models.

I'm currently using a cheap, two-blade Gilette "Good News" razor, with
Barbasol. I also have a 30-year-old bar of Williams soap that gets
used when I'm out of Barasol. And I have two straight razors, which I
haven't used since I had a beard, 20 years ago.

I've tried two, three, four, and five-blade razors. The more blades
they have, the more I like them, even though the four- and five-blade
types drag a bit. But they're too damned expensive to make any sense.

Yes. I'm coming to that conclusion.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Brand is Williams, and the product has been in continuous production
since 1840. http://www.williamsmugsoap.com

The steel content is all those razor blades.

Joe Gwinn

Anybody else know nothing about this?

I haven't shaved in 35 years.

I use hair electric clippers to trim away most of it. Job done.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/14/2014 7:57 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
[...]

I've been using VO5 hair conditioner as shaving cream for years. Just 2
drops does the job and a bottle lasts for more than 5 years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2014 12:05 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Bbbut, what about the Brazilians you get? Or is that done with hot
wax and cloth strips? wink cringe

Karl uses a Bic lighter!

ice cream Peter Lucas (SAS RET) Woodworking 0 December 7th 10 11:32 PM
OT Ice Cream Rod UK diy 17 October 26th 09 08:30 PM
Shaving cream [email protected] UK diy 28 February 28th 09 09:47 AM
Ice Cream [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 February 9th 09 03:26 PM
Cream of tartar? Christopher Nelson Home Repair 2 December 19th 06 09:03 PM