Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any hope of selling press bolster plates for usable?

I came across a bunch of steel bolster plates:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bolsters.jpg

They go on big punch presses and such, as you know.

My question is, do I have a hope of selling them for usable material
at, say, above 60 cents per lb?

I have been able to sell solid steel bars and big rounds for about
$1/lb on average, for example. People buy them for "anvils" or
whatever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus12521" wrote in
message ...
I came across a bunch of steel bolster plates:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bolsters.jpg

They go on big punch presses and such, as you know.

My question is, do I have a hope of selling them for usable material
at, say, above 60 cents per lb?

I have been able to sell solid steel bars and big rounds for about
$1/lb on average, for example. People buy them for "anvils" or
whatever.

Personally I have little use for steel too large to cut up with my 4"
x 6" bandsaw. Larger pieces serve only as tractor counterweights.

Cutting scrap steel with gas or plasma may leave blade-ruining hard
spots.

My typical projects are smaller than an inch. I just made a feeler
bracket to complete a used Blake coax indicator and am now working on
Variac brush holders.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/12/2014 12:45 PM, Ignoramus12521 wrote:
I came across a bunch of steel bolster plates:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/bolsters.jpg

They go on big punch presses and such, as you know.

My question is, do I have a hope of selling them for usable material
at, say, above 60 cents per lb?

I have been able to sell solid steel bars and big rounds for about
$1/lb on average, for example. People buy them for "anvils" or
whatever.

How about a work table top - with the T slots to hold the work in place
and you weld up the frame based on the clamp down holding it in place.

Just a thought - and like he said - put on on the tail end of your
forklift... :-)

Martin

Old chainsaw oil - usable? AnthonyL UK diy 3 April 21st 14 01:54 PM
Do I have any hope of selling "Charmilles Eleroda 200" CNC EDMmachines Ignoramus26150 Metalworking 47 November 13th 13 06:42 PM
Press bolster plates: Any creative, home or blacksmith uses? Ignoramus31281 Metalworking 37 June 1st 13 10:21 PM
I'm selling a veneer screw press craigs list Ma. dwolf[_2_] Woodworking 0 January 9th 08 12:52 PM
Old Stains Still Usable? Gary Brown Woodworking 3 December 17th 06 12:37 AM