Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The guy who made the smallest V-12 engine, talks about machining

Jose Barreiro is a retired Navy Mechanic, and he makes model engines.
He's not big on computers, or the Internet, so he didn't know he was
"famous" till someone came to shoot a documentary.

He makes a good point though: we no longer have "mechanics" who can
repair stuff, because they don't know how it went together, or could
go together. Mostly what we have are people who can replace the
part/module.

But for a man with no patience, the work is ... exquisite.

http://www.wimp.com/behindengine/
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Jose Barreiro is a retired Navy Mechanic, and he makes model
engines.
He's not big on computers, or the Internet, so he didn't know he was
"famous" till someone came to shoot a documentary.

He makes a good point though: we no longer have "mechanics" who can
repair stuff, because they don't know how it went together, or could
go together. Mostly what we have are people who can replace the
part/module.

But for a man with no patience, the work is ... exquisite.

http://www.wimp.com/behindengine/
--
pyotr filipivich.

Top US WW1 ace Eddie Rickenbacker went with the Army to France as a
driver/mechanic and got his wish to learn to fly as a reward for
pouring new Babbitt crankshaft bearings in a roadside garage to fix
General Billy Mitchell's disabled car.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jose Barreiro is a retired Navy Mechanic, and he makes model engines.
He's not big on computers, or the Internet, so he didn't know he was
"famous" till someone came to shoot a documentary.

He makes a good point though: we no longer have "mechanics" who can
repair stuff, because they don't know how it went together, or could
go together. Mostly what we have are people who can replace the
part/module.

But for a man with no patience, the work is ... exquisite.

http://www.wimp.com/behindengine/

The motors look pretty neat but I can't hear anything the guy is saying.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10-Sep-14 11:56 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Jose Barreiro is a retired Navy Mechanic, and he makes model engines.
He's not big on computers, or the Internet, so he didn't know he was
"famous" till someone came to shoot a documentary.

He makes a good point though: we no longer have "mechanics" who can
repair stuff, because they don't know how it went together, or could
go together. Mostly what we have are people who can replace the
part/module.

But for a man with no patience, the work is ... exquisite.

http://www.wimp.com/behindengine/
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
"It used to be that the USA was pretty good at producing stuff teenaged
boys could lose a finger or two playing with."

thanks - interesting.