Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default South Bend 10k reverse bracket removal

I'd like to R&R the spindle on my South Bend 10k to inspect the
bearings, wicks and oil return holes. Common wisdom suggests using
a block of wood and a hammer to drive the spindle out of the bull
gear, but I'd much rather use a bolt and collar as a puller.

That means the reverse tumbler needs to come off for clearance during
reinstall.

Can anyone tell me how it's done? Nothing comes up on the obvious
websites (Yahoo-sbl, Practical Machinist, etc) and the parts diagram
gives no clear hint. There is one nut and shaft at the pivot of the
reverse bracket, but that's not obviously what's holding the bracket
in place. My guess is that there's a fastener or two that I'm not
finding.

If anybody's been through this and can offer guidance I'd be grateful.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"User Bp" wrote in message
[...]

On the 10L the retainer is a bar below the pivot.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On the 10L the retainer is a bar below the pivot.
-jsw

Turns out on a 10k it's even simpler: Just disengage the
selector quadrant and pull the bracket out. The clue was
a very clear photograph on eBay of a bracket for sale.

Next puzzle is the felt retainer drillings, just above
the oil cups. They don't seem to meet the felt position,
but rather aim up, seemingly to hit the bushings at about
8 o'clock facing the chuck.

Was relieved to find the spindle and bearings in rather good
shape, especially in light of severe wear on the rest of the
lathe. The spindle at least is apt to outlast me 8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Old South Bend guy Sid Gammon Metalworking 1 March 6th 14 10:34 PM
South Bend 10K No Name Metalworking 6 May 5th 09 10:02 PM
South Bend joebass Metalworking 2 April 13th 06 02:25 AM
South Bend 10" info help Relz Metalworking 15 August 23rd 05 05:26 PM
FS- South Bend 13" gary wilkin Metalworking 8 July 12th 03 03:32 AM