Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Protecting PVC rod in 3 jaw lathe chuck

Gents what is the best way to protect some 20mm / ~3/4" PVC rod in a 3
jaw chuck. I don't have any collets, just the 3 jaw chuck.

Some rolled up brass shim?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Shed_Fiddler wrote in
. au:

Gents what is the best way to protect some 20mm / ~3/4" PVC rod in a 3
jaw chuck. I don't have any collets, just the 3 jaw chuck.

Some rolled up brass shim?

PVC is fairly soft. If you are applying enough pressure to hold it, I'd
be concerned about marring it through the shim. Consider slitting and
deburring some 22mm (3/4") copper waterpipe (or 3/4" pipe and expand it a
bit) so there is something more substantial than shim spreading the
pressure.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08-Sep-14 4:32 PM, Ian Malcolm wrote:
Shed_Fiddler wrote in
. au:

Gents what is the best way to protect some 20mm / ~3/4" PVC rod in a 3
jaw chuck. I don't have any collets, just the 3 jaw chuck.

Some rolled up brass shim?

PVC is fairly soft. If you are applying enough pressure to hold it, I'd
be concerned about marring it through the shim. Consider slitting and
deburring some 22mm (3/4") copper waterpipe (or 3/4" pipe and expand it a
bit) so there is something more substantial than shim spreading the
pressure.

Thanks Ian that's a good idea, less likely to be slicing up my fingers too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 8, 2014 3:32:03 AM UTC-4, Shed_Fiddler wrote:
Gents what is the best way to protect some 20mm / ~3/4" PVC rod in a 3

jaw chuck. I don't have any collets, just the 3 jaw chuck.

Best way would be soft jaws; bore the 20mm profile into them.
If it's not for production, though, that's a nuisance. Otherwise,
consider thick pads (1/8" rubber, or even cork).
Or, maybe just make a socket for the rod, slip-fit,
and drive the socket on a center.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 15:32:03 +0800, Shed_Fiddler
wrote:

Gents what is the best way to protect some 20mm / ~3/4" PVC rod in a 3
jaw chuck. I don't have any collets, just the 3 jaw chuck.

Some rolled up brass shim?

You could use a larger piece of PVC, bore it and slit it and use it
as soft jaws. Or if your chuck uses top jaws you could make some soft
jaws if you don't already have some, and then bore them to hold the
work. One type of soft jaw that works well for parts that don't need
high gripping force is made from round stock. Saw up three pucks from
some aluminum round bar, Face both ends parallel, cut two slots at 90
degrees on one face that are just slightly deeper than the key part of
the bottom jaws, turn around, drill and c'sink for one jaw screw in
the center of the puck. This method only uses one screw per jaws so
clamping pressure will be lower but you get 4 chances to bore the
jaws, not just two. And the bored jaws will have lots of surface area
to spread the clamping.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/8/2014 3:32 AM, Shed_Fiddler wrote:
Gents what is the best way to protect some 20mm / ~3/4" PVC rod in a 3
jaw chuck. I don't have any collets, just the 3 jaw chuck.

Some rolled up brass shim?

A piece of 3/4" PVC water pipe, slit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gents what is the best way to protect some 20mm / ~3/4" PVC rod in a 3
jaw chuck. I don't have any collets, just the 3 jaw chuck.

Some rolled up brass shim?

Why not use a piece of 1" PVC that has been slit in 3 places and
slipped over the 3/4" piece?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Lathe chuck carrier? Stupendous Man Metalworking 13 August 28th 07 10:18 PM
lathe chuck geo Woodturning 22 February 1st 06 10:14 PM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 02:07 AM
using a four jaw chuck on a lathe stone Metalworking 25 April 21st 05 04:35 PM
Two Jaw Lathe Chuck???? MP Toolman Metalworking 4 January 2nd 04 01:11 PM