Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New use for a riding mower

Now, with my discovery, you can use your riding mower to find
valuable chains hidden in the long grass! Valued at $49.99, this
method is foolproof. Yes, you too can find the highly valuable rust
patinated chain in tall grass. When left behind by the guy who
borrowed your chain it can be recovered and sold now that it has the
sought after rust patina. And I will do this for no charge for my
friends on rcm. Just tell your friends about this one time giveaway.
Here's the secret method: Engage the mower blades and drive over the
area with the tall grass. When you hear a god-awful noise and the
motor stops dead you know that you have not only found the chain but
have also recovered it because much of it will have wrapped around the
blade axle. Who knew it could be so easy! Act now and I'll send info
on how to remove the chain from the mower blade, just $49.99!
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 17:02:41 -0700, etpm wrote:

[...]

I bet you had to use some mechanics Words of Power.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You need a bigger mower. I use mine to find 100 yard lengths of
irrigation tubing. It wraps it up so nice and tight and compact.
Almost a solid block of rubber by the time it stalls the tractor out.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 12:02:41 AM UTC, wrote:

.. Who knew it could be so easy! Act now and I'll send info

on how to remove the chain from the mower blade, just $49.99!

Eric

I find a rototiller will find things in tall grass too.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Bad day, huh?

Nah! GOOD day! He found his chain AND a new use for the mower!
Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 03:45:22 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Sep 2014 17:02:41 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Wait till you suck up 100+ feet of 3/16" 7/19 stainless steel cable
you used to use as a dog run.

It appears that Crom has a special li'l tidbit for each and every one
of us, doesn't it? I wish we could skip past all the crap and just
get on with the box of treasure, five pound nugget of gold, etc.,
don't you? 'Course, I'm still waiting to win the 'Win For Life' and
claim my $1k/week-for-life prize. (Hell, I could easily get by on
$500/wk, if he's listening.) It'd let me give up this hard life.

Right calf's still blue and swollen from the auger smacking me 3 times
in 10 minutes trying to get thru some titanium hardpan. I've never
seen such tough soil; clay/DG mix and harder than a witch's tit in a
brass bra.

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:02:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Now, with my discovery, you can use your riding mower to find

valuable chains hidden in the long grass! Valued at $49.99, this

method is foolproof. Yes, you too can find the highly valuable rust

patinated chain in tall grass.

That reminds me when I saw a guy had hooked up blades to a weed-eater, stood on the side of a rowboat, stuck the end in the water and sped away.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014 22:13:19 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Sunday, September 7, 2014 12:02:41 AM UTC, wrote:

. Who knew it could be so easy! Act now and I'll send info

on how to remove the chain from the mower blade, just $49.99!

Eric

I find a rototiller will find things in tall grass too.

Dan

All my tiller usually finds is rocks . Big rocks , little rocks , flat rocks
, round ones . I keep hoping it'll find a chest full of gold and jools , but
it hasn't happened yet . Oh , and it's pretty good at finding roots too .
Usually long stringy ones that get all wrapped up in the tines and have to
be cut out with a limb trimmer .

My rototiller also excels at finding rocks. What I couldn't figure out
wass how, after clearing the garden of all the rocks bigger than an
egg, more big rocks pop up every year. But now I have the answer. Rock
seeds. When the tiller churns up the rocks little pieces chip off.
These are actually seeds, sort of like the eyes on a potato. So I'm
going to switch to vinyl covered tilles tines, that oughta slow up the
re-seeding I do whenever I till the garden.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 09:03:45 -0700, wrote:

[...]

If you lived where my family is from -- Greenland, New Hampshire --
you'd know all about farming rocks and how they breed.

I don't think they actually grow from seeds. It's more like the earth
pushing them up from below to fill any gaps you leave by removing
them.

There's one small farm my family worked for just short of 300 years,
before turning it into a dairy farm. They were still getting a fresh
crop of rocks every spring.

They just keep making the stone fences thicker. Today, they'd take a
direct hit from a 105 howitzer without toppling over.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:24:35 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

[...]

If large items and small items are put in a container and vibrated the
large items will rise to the top. I wonder if something similar is why
the large rocks keep appearing. Freeze/thaw cycles, wet and dry
cycles, that kind of thing. Whidbey Island is a glacial till formation
that is 3000 feet thick and so the geology mixed. My garden, which I
have been working for about 12 years, is sandy loam with lots of
rocks. However, where the garden is the loam is only about 10 feet
thick. The next layer is a 40 foot thick layer of hard pan. I wonder
how many years I'll need to till to get all the rocks out of the top
layer of loam.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ha! It's quite a mystery. Maybe a geologist could explain it.

I live on top of a terminal moraine, but the rocks are down pretty
deep. The glacier left a lot of sand and silt on top of the rocks and
they're spread through the top layer like a thin bean soup.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In the Texas hill country, I call it "mowing the dirt", which also
includes "mulching the rocks". I should own stock in the mower blade
manufacturer. Not to mention bent spindles, etc. Maybe this drought
will end some day. The other day, I damned near mulched a fawn.
Didn't see the little critter in the tall grass until I stopped
against it and it bolted. It moved fine and I didn't see any injuries
or blood, so I guess it was ok.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 11:14:20 -0700, etpm wrote:
On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:24:35 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:
... It's more like the earth
pushing them up from below to fill any gaps you leave by removing
them.

If large items and small items are put in a container and vibrated the
large items will rise to the top. I wonder if something similar is why
the large rocks keep appearing. Freeze/thaw cycles, wet and dry
cycles, that kind of thing. Whidbey Island is a glacial till formation
that is 3000 feet thick and so the geology mixed. My garden, which I
have been working for about 12 years, is sandy loam with lots of
rocks. However, where the garden is the loam is only about 10 feet
thick. The next layer is a 40 foot thick layer of hard pan. I wonder
how many years I'll need to till to get all the rocks out of the top
layer of loam.

The "something similar" / "Freeze/thaw cycles" / etc is pretty close to
the usual explanation. See for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granular_convection#Geology which says
"In geology, the effect is common in formerly glaciated areas such as
New England -- new stones appear in the fields every year from deeper
underground. ... Underground water freezes, lifting all particles above
it. As the water starts to melt, smaller particles can settle into the
opening spaces while larger particles are still raised. By the time ice
no longer supports the larger rocks, they are at least partially
supported by the smaller particles that slipped below them. Repeated
freeze-thaw cycles in a single year speeds up the process."

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 21:17:04 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

Now, with my discovery, you can use your riding mower to find
valuable chains hidden in the long grass! Valued at $49.99, this
method is foolproof. Yes, you too can find the highly valuable rust
patinated chain in tall grass. When left behind by the guy who
borrowed your chain it can be recovered and sold now that it has the
sought after rust patina. And I will do this for no charge for my
friends on rcm. Just tell your friends about this one time giveaway.
Here's the secret method: Engage the mower blades and drive over the
area with the tall grass. When you hear a god-awful noise and the
motor stops dead you know that you have not only found the chain but
have also recovered it because much of it will have wrapped around the
blade axle. Who knew it could be so easy! Act now and I'll send info
on how to remove the chain from the mower blade, just $49.99!

My old push mower was especially adept at finding buried coils of
wire. Baling wire, barbed wire, you name it. That was always fun.
sigh

How about a well patinated 43# axe head.

YOU found Paul Bunyan's little backup hatchet?

Congrats, Gerry.

--
Let no man imagine that he has no influence. Whoever he may be, and
wherever he may be placed, the man who thinks becomes a light and a power.
-- Henry George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message
[...]

In spring the saturated upper few inches of soil that thaws during the
day and refreezes at night can break loose and arch up like bubbles.
It pulls free of boulders, leaving holes, but lifts the smaller stones
up. I haven't observed if this phenomenon moves rocks up through
absorbent black topsoil since my property doesn't have any. Rocks
don't accumulate on the surface of the sandy glacial till here.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/7/2014 9:23 PM, James Waldby wrote:
The "something similar" / "Freeze/thaw cycles" / etc is pretty close to
the usual explanation. See for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granular_convection#Geology which says
"In geology, the effect is common in formerly glaciated areas such as
New England -- new stones appear in the fields every year from deeper
underground. ... Underground water freezes, lifting all particles above
it. As the water starts to melt, smaller particles can settle into the
opening spaces while larger particles are still raised. By the time ice
no longer supports the larger rocks, they are at least partially
supported by the smaller particles that slipped below them. Repeated
freeze-thaw cycles in a single year speeds up the process."

My problem with that is that the ground only freezes so deep. 3' around
here. So after a few hundred years of removing stones, you'd think that
all of the ones within 3' of the surface would have been lifted out.

Also, in places that haven't been plowed, why isn't there a solid layer
of rocks that have been lifted in the thousands of years since the
glaciers left?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

Also, in places that haven't been plowed, why isn't there a solid
layer of rocks that have been lifted in the thousands of years since
the glaciers left?

Bob

I don't think the process is as effective on porous sandy soil that
wasn't worth plowing, such as my property.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Keillor wrote:

In the Texas hill country, I call it "mowing the dirt", which also
includes "mulching the rocks". I should own stock in the mower blade
manufacturer. Not to mention bent spindles, etc. Maybe this drought
will end some day. The other day, I damned near mulched a fawn.
Didn't see the little critter in the tall grass until I stopped
against it and it bolted. It moved fine and I didn't see any injuries
or blood, so I guess it was ok.

My grandfather accidentally hit his old dog while mowing hay, when I
was a kid. The dog was old and didn't hear well, but what a sad way to
go.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

riding mower again HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 3 June 17th 13 04:00 AM
riding mower again [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 1 June 16th 13 07:57 PM
riding mower again dpb Home Repair 0 June 14th 13 07:08 PM
riding mower cj Home Repair 22 June 12th 13 06:08 AM
Ran oil out on riding mower - mar10 Home Repair 23 July 27th 06 03:39 AM