Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default coolant antifreeze

spent the day yesterday helping the kid get his new shop up and
running...

Ain't no way he'll have it it tight enough to heat 24X7 for a MN
winter this year. many years ago, I took old car radiator coolant to
use in my old shop - just added oil. Well, 30 years later I guess this
is bad form. Will RV antifreeze plus oil work OK in his CNC mill?
Other suggestions?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
spent the day yesterday helping the kid get his new shop up and
running...

Ain't no way he'll have it it tight enough to heat 24X7 for a MN
winter this year. many years ago, I took old car radiator coolant to
use in my old shop - just added oil. Well, 30 years later I guess this
is bad form. Will RV antifreeze plus oil work OK in his CNC mill?
Other suggestions?

Karl

Well at least it's not poisonous .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Sep 2014 06:46:31 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

spent the day yesterday helping the kid get his new shop up and
running...

Ain't no way he'll have it it tight enough to heat 24X7 for a MN
winter this year. many years ago, I took old car radiator coolant to
use in my old shop - just added oil. Well, 30 years later I guess this
is bad form. Will RV antifreeze plus oil work OK in his CNC mill?
Other suggestions?

Karl

Greetings Karl,
I don't know how anti freeze will affect the coolant but I wouldn't be
surprised if had a negative effect. What about putting some mixed
coolant in the freezer to see what temp it freezes at? And what about
putting a submersible heater in the coolant tank? That might be better
anyway because really cold coolant on hot cutting tools might shorten
the life of the tool. How much would it cost to keep the coolant at 40
or 50 degrees? I know it gets cold where his shop is and I don't have
much experience with weather that cold for that long.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/1/2014 4:55 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
spent the day yesterday helping the kid get his new shop up and
running...

Ain't no way he'll have it it tight enough to heat 24X7 for a MN
winter this year. many years ago, I took old car radiator coolant to
use in my old shop - just added oil. Well, 30 years later I guess this
is bad form. Will RV antifreeze plus oil work OK in his CNC mill?
Other suggestions?

Karl

Well at least it's not poisonous .
--
Snag

As long as it's not ethylene glycol, it will be a heck of a lot easier
on any barn cats that might be around. Cats love anti-freeze and it
kills them overnight.

BobH

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As long as it's not ethylene glycol, it will be a heck of a lot easier
on any barn cats that might be around. Cats love anti-freeze and it
kills them overnight.

BobH

Milady LOVES cats. They won't touch ethylene glycol with soluable oil
and other junk in the coolant. For my 2 cents, I'd go this way, but
the kid is with you, he won't use old radiator coolant like I did
years ago.

Antifreeze Q Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 28 October 25th 13 10:40 AM
fa: nice little lubrication pump (coolant? maybe it will do coolant?) or tapping oil Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 0 July 12th 10 08:09 AM
Antifreeze - not just for cars Stormin Mormon Home Repair 350 December 13th 09 04:00 PM
OT -- imitation antifreeze mm Home Repair 35 January 27th 07 08:17 AM
When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze? David Martel Home Repair 4 November 29th 05 05:55 AM