Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Virtual welding

We ran an article in July that may be of some interest to the welders
(weldors?) here -- training welders with a virtual welding setup. It's
mostly of interest to commercial fabricators but it could be the
future of welding training for a lot of us.

Anyway, judge for yourself:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/fabs.../july2014/#/14

--
Ed Huntress
Editor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:40:31 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
We ran an article in July that may be of some interest to the welders

(weldors?) here -- training welders with a virtual welding setup. It's

mostly of interest to commercial fabricators but it could be the

future of welding training for a lot of us.

Anyway, judge for yourself:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/fabs.../july2014/#/14

--

Ed Huntress

Editor

FAB Shop Magaizine

Many (25 or so) years ago, I designed an O/A simulator for the College of Aeronautics at LaGuardia airport. We had am analog lightpen built into a torch with pots or the O & A valves, a touchscreen and a programmable videodisk player. All very cool stuff for its day. We built five prototypes, fully functional, and as far as I know, they did use them in the classroom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:14:53 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

[...]

'Sounds cool. You should see the system Lincoln Eletric has now. Wow.

One slick thing about it is that it tells the student what he did
wrong.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One slick thing about it is that it tells the student what he did
wrong.

I'm lucky, I've got a wife that does that

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Our machine did too. I swear, some day I'm going to meet the voice-over actor face-to-face, he's gonna say, "you need to adjust the acetylene needle valve, not the oxygen needle valve" and I'm going to deck him.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote in
:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/fabs.../july2014/#/14

I played with one at the Eastec show about a year & a half ago. I've never
done any welding except O/A about 50 years ago, and it was very
interesting. I did OK for my first weld, but clearly need a bit more
practice. It provides real-time feedback on what you are doing wrong, and
I was improving as I went.

Definitely a great gadget for a vocational school.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 02:16:13 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote in
:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/fabs.../july2014/#/14

I played with one at the Eastec show about a year & a half ago. I've never
done any welding except O/A about 50 years ago, and it was very
interesting. I did OK for my first weld, but clearly need a bit more
practice. It provides real-time feedback on what you are doing wrong, and
I was improving as I went.

That's what I like about the whole idea. Quick feedback has to get you
up to speed a lot faster.

Definitely a great gadget for a vocational school.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 02:16:13 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote in
:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/fabs.../july2014/#/14

I played with one at the Eastec show about a year & a half ago. I've never
done any welding except O/A about 50 years ago, and it was very
interesting. I did OK for my first weld, but clearly need a bit more
practice. It provides real-time feedback on what you are doing wrong, and
I was improving as I went.

Definitely a great gadget for a vocational school.

Doug White

As a side note..I find the Guide Dog ad in a welding magazine to be
disconcerting and unfortunately all to predictive

PJ O'Rourke

Virtual Box robgraham UK diy 5 August 26th 11 07:37 PM
New Virtual 'Nam Wall Don Foreman Metalworking 4 July 10th 10 01:22 PM
XP in Virtual PC under Win 7 - a few questions Roger Mills UK diy 15 May 24th 10 01:26 PM
Virtual Dj 4.3 crack [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 26th 08 05:14 PM
virtual dj 4.2 crack [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 23rd 08 10:46 AM