Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pulling rails from the ground

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 13:53:22 -0500, Ignoramus21905

On 2014-09-08, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 08:36:16 -0500, Ignoramus21905

On 2014-09-05, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:03:34 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus26736 wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, I purchased some old railroad rails on a

private property.

Most scrap yards will not accept rail as 99.999% of it is owned by a
railroad, even on private property, even if it has been out of
service for years.

You might want to find out if the local yard will accept it before pulling it up.

All rail has been scrapped. I negotiated the price with scrap yard
before pulling the rails.

That business about the railroads owning abandoned rails has become a
sort of mixed bag. If it's on unused right-of-way but they still have
rights to an easement, the railroad probably owns it. If they abandon
it, the terms of the original easement, and state law,determine
whether the railroad still owns anything on the right-of-way.

It sounds like you're unlikely to encounter any problems in your
situation, but if you ever do a bigger deal like this, you'd better
check with the county land office and see if the land is encumbered or
if there are ancient easements. If there's much money in it, someone
could give you trouble.

We had a bit of a battle over this in my town, over an abandoned
Lehigh Valley coal line that we converted to a "Rails to Trails"
project.

Ed, when it comes to scrap, it is very often difficult to determine
who is the ultimate owner of equipment or material to be scrapped. For
example, a distant owner tells the local manager to "clean up the
place". Or, company A sold a building to company B, but claims to
still own copper wire in dedicated circuits, going to where company A
had its equipment. Or, as here, there are rotten and abandoned rails
on private property. Or, there is a building to be demolished and it
is not clear whether "Equipment in room 754b" also includes stainless
and copper piping under the ceiling, pumps and electronic control
equipment attached to that, 300 more feet of 4" copper pipe going to
the next room etc. Or, after an auction, my lot is missing, but I
offer to take down some 500 MCM wire going to an unused panel.

In all these cases, my number one concern is not to appear to be
stealing. To that end, I make sure that 1) I get a written receipt and
2) someone in position of authority knows where I am and what I am
doing, at least approximately.

I agree that, if or when it comes to dealing with larger rail
installations, a deeper research would be warranted.

OK, that all sounds good. I just wanted to point out that, when it
comes to rails and railroads, they're a law unto themselves. They have
contracts and easements that go back a century or more.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-05, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:03:34 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus26736 wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, I purchased some old railroad rails on a

private property.

Most scrap yards will not accept rail as 99.999% of it is owned by a
railroad, even on private property, even if it has been out of
service for years.

You might want to find out if the local yard will accept it before pulling it up.

All rail has been scrapped. I negotiated the price with scrap yard
before pulling the rails.

How much per pound did you negotiate ?

Gunner, I never disclose such things, sorry

I didnt ask how much money you grossed/made. Frankly I dont care. Nor
do I care how many pounds you dug up and scrapped.

I just asked how much per pound.

It gives us an idea of what such rails in our own areas are worth.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I hardly think anyone here is interested in going into competition
with you in your area. Hell...I avoid Chicago like a plague ridden
zombie Dead Lands.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So, in the hope of a little closure from an interested spectator:

How did you wind up cutting back the shrubbery?

Were any of the rails worth saving for anvils, or were they all too far
gone?

Never thought to ask before, but were you responsible for pulling all of the
spikes, or just the rails?

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-08, Carl Ijames wrote:
So, in the hope of a little closure from an interested spectator:

How did you wind up cutting back the shrubbery?

We did not even cut anything, just drove the bobcat over stuff as was
necessary. Maybe they pulled one tree with a chain.

Were any of the rails worth saving for anvils, or were they all too far
gone?

I decided it was not worth the trouble, I now am trying to sell less
on ebay and scrap more, I hate ebay due to their latest changes.

Never thought to ask before, but were you responsible for pulling all of the
spikes, or just the rails?

I could pull as much as I wanted. I got whatever was easy to get, all
rails and some plates/spikes. Maybe a ton of plates and spikes was
pulled in total.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, Iggy. I just had a sudden fear that you had to leave metal-free
ground and pull all the spikes, even though none of the discussions said
that. Aren't massive power tools great? Don't cut, just drive over :-).
Glad it went so well for you.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-08, Carl Ijames wrote:
Thanks, Iggy. I just had a sudden fear that you had to leave metal-free
ground and pull all the spikes, even though none of the discussions said
that. Aren't massive power tools great? Don't cut, just drive over :-).
Glad it went so well for you.

It was fun, too.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/08/2014 6:12 PM, Ignoramus21905 wrote:

... I now am trying to sell less
on ebay and scrap more, I hate ebay due to their latest changes.

You've mentioned this several times, iggy...I've never sold anything on
eBay as to me it always seemed more effort than required for just the
random odd-ends of stuff I might want to try to dispose of, but I'm
wondering what changes are so bothersome (since I don't know what was,
it's hard to judge what's change)?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-09, dpb wrote:
On 09/08/2014 6:12 PM, Ignoramus21905 wrote:
... I now am trying to sell less
on ebay and scrap more, I hate ebay due to their latest changes.

You've mentioned this several times, iggy...I've never sold anything on
eBay as to me it always seemed more effort than required for just the
random odd-ends of stuff I might want to try to dispose of, but I'm
wondering what changes are so bothersome (since I don't know what was,
it's hard to judge what's change)?

eBay is now too much in favor of the buyers, at the expense of the
sellers. I no longer consider it a fair marketplace.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/09/2014 8:54 PM, Ignoramus13381 wrote:

eBay is now too much in favor of the buyers, at the expense of the
sellers. I no longer consider it a fair marketplace.

In what way(s)? I've bought quite a lot of things from inexpensive to
$5K JLG manlift and don't see how any of it was tilted in my favor...