Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any easy way to delaminate a big transformer

I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14156 fired this volley in
:

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "delaminate". What advantage - for scrap
value - would de-laminating the laminations have?

If you want to just salvage the copper separate from the iron cores, do
what we did when we were rebuilding them at Florida Transformer Corp...
just saw off the coils flush with both sides of the core, and pull out
the copper in the openings. Hammer out whatever is fixed into the
openings by varnish.

It's a big job to rebuild one by hand (especially considering the floor
space it requires, since you must hand-pull the new coils through,
instead of bobbin-winding them), but it's only a few minutes work to
extract the old copper from the core.

There's no method I know of that will effectively dissolve the vacuum-
potted varnish out from in-between the lams.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/26/2014 2:04 PM, Ignoramus14156 wrote:
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

There is some one out there that would pay you a whole lot more
for that than just copper weight.
If you could just find them!
Any Idea what the voltages are?
Mikek

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-26, amdx wrote:
On 7/26/2014 2:04 PM, Ignoramus14156 wrote:
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

There is some one out there that would pay you a whole lot more
for that than just copper weight.
If you could just find them!

It is the second part that is the problem.

Any Idea what the voltages are?

+- 10v and +- 5v.

I will scrap it, I am sure that selling it would be difficult. Lately
I have been making an effort to scrap more and sell less.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-26, amdx wrote:
On 7/26/2014 2:04 PM, Ignoramus14156 wrote:
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

There is some one out there that would pay you a whole lot more
for that than just copper weight.
If you could just find them!

It is the second part that is the problem.

Any Idea what the voltages are?

+- 10v and +- 5v.

Holy moly, at what 1000 amps!

I will scrap it, I am sure that selling it would be difficult. Lately
I have been making an effort to scrap more and sell less.

I understand, and shipping it would cost big dollars.
Mikek

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus14156" wrote in message
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

I swear you couldn't pour **** out of a boot without asking on usenet, if
the instructions were written on the bottom...

-you have a large hydraulic press, ****ing learn to USE it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/26/2014 8:17 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus14156" wrote in message
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

I swear you couldn't pour **** out of a boot without asking on usenet, if
the instructions were written on the bottom...

-you have a large hydraulic press, ****ing learn to USE it.

Seems like it would be easier to pull them out than push them out.
But then he could act like he knows it all and never try to learn
a more cleaver way to do something.
Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message
On 7/26/2014 8:17 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus14156" wrote in message
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

I swear you couldn't pour **** out of a boot without asking on usenet, if
the instructions were written on the bottom...

-you have a large hydraulic press, ****ing learn to USE it.

Seems like it would be easier to pull them out than push them out.
But then he could act like he knows it all and never try to learn
a more cleaver way to do something.
Mikek

Shear them off with a large cleaver. In the press.

Duhh

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 6:17:34 PM UTC-7, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Ignoramus14156" wrote in message

I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers

like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes

for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally

conscious fashion. Thanks

I swear you couldn't pour **** out of a boot without asking on usenet, if

the instructions were written on the bottom...

-you have a large hydraulic press, ****ing learn to USE it.

I see no difference between iggy continuously posting question after question here without doing any thinking and this kind of poster:

Someone who has a brake job done on his wife's car and when the job is done gets on Usenet and bitches about the price because he's too much of a ****ing pussy to ask the mechanic where he got the brake parts from.

iggy's not mechanical. iggy never will be mechanical. iggy will never be any kind of decent machinist because he can't think and reason. iggy thinks he's really clever asking others on Usenet to think for him. He doesn't realize how much he hurts himself with this mentality. What's worse are people that for years make every excuse for this kind of behavior. It makes me sick.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-26, amdx wrote:
On 7/26/2014 2:04 PM, Ignoramus14156 wrote:
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

There is some one out there that would pay you a whole lot more
for that than just copper weight.
If you could just find them!

It is the second part that is the problem.

Any Idea what the voltages are?

+- 10v and +- 5v.

I will scrap it, I am sure that selling it would be difficult. Lately
I have been making an effort to scrap more and sell less.

Nice spot welder transformer. Maybe a cutting torch type - carbon rod .

Might be use for plating metal. Might be Tube transformers. Heater
jackets and filaments.

Where did you get these monsters ? The copper is likely strip with
bars attached.
Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/26/2014 8:21 PM, amdx wrote:
On 7/26/2014 8:17 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus14156" wrote in message
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

I swear you couldn't pour **** out of a boot without asking on usenet, if
the instructions were written on the bottom...

-you have a large hydraulic press, ****ing learn to USE it.

Seems like it would be easier to pull them out than push them out.
But then he could act like he knows it all and never try to learn
a more cleaver way to do something.
Mikek

Shear off the winding down the metal core. both, both sides. Pound out
the windings.

We used to use an old electric stove and cook the cores of large motors
and then the copper comes out nicely. Smelly.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-26, amdx wrote:
[...]

Thaw frozen water pipes that're several miles long...

Seriously though, local plating shops may be keenly interested.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-27, amdx wrote:
On 7/26/2014 8:17 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus14156" wrote in message
I have a couple of water cooled low voltage high current transformers
like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...726_131901.jpg

They are not the usual kind and have very heavy copper bars and pipes
for windings and cooling.

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

I swear you couldn't pour **** out of a boot without asking on usenet, if
the instructions were written on the bottom...

-you have a large hydraulic press, ****ing learn to USE it.

Seems like it would be easier to pull them out than push them out.
But then he could act like he knows it all and never try to learn
a more cleaver way to do something.

I am open to great ideas, if someone knows how I can use my press to
separate the transformer, I would be delighted. The press is genuinely
double acting and can be used for pulling -- bt the pulling force is a
lot less than the pushing force.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in
:

Shear off the winding down the metal core. both, both sides. Pound

out
the windings.

Martin, that's what I already described to him.

Back in the late '60s, it was still economical to rebuild those big ones,
without delaminating the core. That meant sawing out the old windings,
then re-winding them in place, using at most a hand-held bobbin, and
sometimes just a parking lot with room enough to swing the free ends of
larger square wire while bending it place with a leather mallet.

But the start was always the same. Saw off the coils flush with the
core, and beat out the material that was stuck with Hi-Sol Varnish.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-26, amdx wrote:
[...]

According to the website on the transformer nameplate, this may be
from an induction heating power supply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus14156 fired this volley in
:

I want to know how I can delaminate them in an environmentally
conscious fashion. Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "delaminate". What advantage - for scrap
value - would de-laminating the laminations have?

If you want to just salvage the copper separate from the iron cores, do
what we did when we were rebuilding them at Florida Transformer Corp...
just saw off the coils flush with both sides of the core, and pull out
the copper in the openings. Hammer out whatever is fixed into the
openings by varnish.

It's a big job to rebuild one by hand (especially considering the floor
space it requires, since you must hand-pull the new coils through,
instead of bobbin-winding them), but it's only a few minutes work to
extract the old copper from the core.

OK, how do you saw it on a transformer so big.

There's no method I know of that will effectively dissolve the vacuum-
potted varnish out from in-between the lams.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12347 fired this volley in
:

OK, how do you saw it on a transformer so big.

A recip saw with long demolition blades should reach everything.

It looked to me like there wasn't any portion of the coils further than
about 8-10" from the outside edges of the core stack.

Besides, those long recip blades are flexible. You don't have to be
perfectly parallel to the core to do the sawing.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-27, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus12347 fired this volley in
:

OK, how do you saw it on a transformer so big.

A recip saw with long demolition blades should reach everything.

It looked to me like there wasn't any portion of the coils further than
about 8-10" from the outside edges of the core stack.

Besides, those long recip blades are flexible. You don't have to be
perfectly parallel to the core to do the sawing.

There are two transformers on the picture. The one on the front of the
picture would fit in a 55 gallon drum. The one behind is is about 33
inches wide.

I will see what I can do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/26/2014 10:53 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 7/26/2014 8:21 PM, amdx wrote:
[...]

Yep, back in the 80's I worked in an electric motor rewind shop. We had
a gas furnace that we would set a bunch of motors in and bake them so
the windings would come out easy.
After they were rewound and varnish dipped, we would bake them again,
in a different oven, not as hot.
Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/26/2014 10:44 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

I have a feeling that iggy is doing just fine for himself.
He could even be that secret millionaire living next door.
Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12347 fired this volley in
:

There are two transformers on the picture. The one on the front of the
picture would fit in a 55 gallon drum. The one behind is is about 33
inches wide.

I will see what I can do.

FWIW, those are large for as low a voltage as they're designed for, but
those are by no means "large transformers". You should be fine with a
relatively coarse wrecking blade.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

amdx fired this volley in news:lr2s10$1rr$2@dont-
email.me:

I have a feeling that iggy is doing just fine for himself.

It pretty much seems that way to anyone who isn't jealous of him.

He usually forges ahead, but when he butts up against something
unfamiliar, he asks.

What's different about that from the way any competent tradesman works?

"Just try anything and if it doesn't work we'll try something else" is a
pretty expensive mantra (at the very least in man-hours, on a low-margin
task), especially with all the varied experiences on tap on the web.

Sometimes I hire 'experts' to solve materials handling issues (powders
and dusts, not metal). Usually, it's worth the money.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:41:02 AM UTC-7, amdx wrote:
[...]

As a scrapper I'm sure he is. However, when it comes to machining iggy is a complete failure for the reasons I listed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-27, amdx wrote:
On 7/26/2014 10:44 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
iggy's not mechanical. iggy never will be mechanical. iggy will
never be any kind of decent machinist because he can't think and
reason. iggy thinks he's really clever asking others on Usenet to
think for him.

He doesn't realize how much he hurts himself with this
mentality. What's worse are people that for years make every excuse
for this kind of behavior. It makes me sick.

I have a feeling that iggy is doing just fine for himself.
He could even be that secret millionaire living next door.

MikeK, I appreciate your sentiment, but I want to say something about
millionaires.

Being a millionaire used to mean a lot. Say, 100 years ago,
millionaires were very rare, and a million dollars was significant
wealth, enabling the lucky millionaire to live an extravagant,
enviable lifestyle.

That rarified millionaire lifestyle 100 years ago, accidentally, was
worse than the life that a regular middle class person earning
100k/year enjoys nowadays. They did not have air conditioners, cell
phones, the Internet, comfortable cars, Viagra, TV, modern medical
care, modern airplanes, and many other things.

So, I would much rather earn 100k per year today, than be transported
100 years back and given a million dollars to play with.

Today, in terms of social standing in the wealth percentile
distribution, a million dollars in 1914, would be an equivalent of,
perhaps, 50-100 million dollars in 2014 money.

A million dollars nowadays, is a very boring sum of money, unless you
are willing to blow it and spend it all in a few months. You can only
derive $40,000 or so of income per year without endangering the
principal. This would not give you any ability to live
extravagantly. A million dollar home, in most areas, is a very nice,
but not remarkable house. Etc.

A million dollars still sounds like a lot of money to a lot of people,
but practically this is no longer the case to those who think about
this in practical terms.

What is still true, however, is the saying that "the first million is
the hardest". A million dollars is a sum that allows one to open
business ventures without being hobbled by bankers and investors, and
to make and compound the money without having to work for someone else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-27, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
amdx fired this volley in news:lr2s10$1rr$2@dont-
email.me:

I have a feeling that iggy is doing just fine for himself.

It pretty much seems that way to anyone who isn't jealous of him.

He usually forges ahead, but when he butts up against something
unfamiliar, he asks.

What's different about that from the way any competent tradesman works?

"Just try anything and if it doesn't work we'll try something else" is a
pretty expensive mantra (at the very least in man-hours, on a low-margin
task), especially with all the varied experiences on tap on the web.

Sometimes I hire 'experts' to solve materials handling issues (powders
and dusts, not metal). Usually, it's worth the money.

Pretending to be super intelligent, or super knowledgeable about
anything, is not something that interests me personally. I have some
things that I need done, like how to get copper out of a special
transformer, and when I feel that I need to ask, I ask.

If this makes me look bad in the eyes of "machining luminaries" like jon
banquer and "precision machinist", so be it.

There are people out there who build their entire life around
pretending to be something, and I try not to be one of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:41:02 AM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
[...]

Yeah, he probably just always likes to confirm what he's wondering by seeing what everyone will say.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 11:50:32 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus12347 wrote:
On 2014-07-27, amdx wrote:

[...]

Wow, being a multi-millionaire is good. Cities and counties are easier on those over a million, because they don't want to drive away the investment they bring.

Most of all, being at least multi-millionaire allows you to to be fairly above-the-law, too. Don't believe me? Check this out:

Texas multimillionaire cross-dresser Robert Durst allegedly exposes self, urinates at CVS drug store by DAVID BOROFF NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Durst 'got his prescription, paid for it, exposed himself, urinated on the register and walked out of the business,' Houston Police Department spokesperson Jodi Silva told the Daily News.
AM

Texas multimillionaire and cross-dresser Robert Durst, who was acquitted in the dismemberment of an elderly neighbor 12 years ago, exposed himself and urinated on a cash register at a Houston drug store Sunday, authorities say.

The incident occured at a CVS, Houston cops said, and there was no dispute, as had been reported.

"He got his prescription, paid for it, exposed himself, urinated on the register and walked out of the business," Houston Police Department spokesperson Jodi Silva told the Daily News on Tuesday.

"Reports that there may have been an argument were incorrect. There was no argument. He did not seem agitated, he did not argue with anyone. He just casually walked out of the business."

Durst, 71, was charged with criminal mischief, a misdemeanor.

"I have been notified Mr. Durst was arrested for a Class B disdemeanor and is in the bonding process," his lawyer, Chip Lewis, told ABC 13."He will go through the process like any other citizen of Harris County. We will deal with the case on its merits once he is released from jail."

Durst was acquitted in 2002 of the murder of 71-year-old Morris Black, whose body parts were found floating in Galveston Bay.

He said he shot Black in self-defense and cut the body up before tossing the pieces into the bay. He was eventually given prison time for evidence tampering and bond jumping, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Additionally, he has long been considered a suspect in his wife's 1982 disappearance. Authorities also say he may have been involved in the 2000 murder of journalist Susan Berman, who was a friend of Durst's wife. While living in Texas, he started cross-dressing to avoid authorities.

The Durst Organization, a billion-dollar real estate company, declined to comment on his arrest.

Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:33
-- http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1875763

(sorry about the URL length)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, I spent some time thinking about these transformers. One has two
windings and another, has three. I do not think that it is easy to cut
them with a saw. (though I can be wrong).

Here's what I can try to do.

1. Break the varnish with a bobcat-mounted hydraulic hammer
2. Pull the laminations apart with the double acting press
3. One I have the windings out I will be happy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12347 fired this volley in
:

1. Break the varnish with a bobcat-mounted hydraulic hammer
2. Pull the laminations apart with the double acting press
3. One I have the windings out I will be happy.

If they're gapped lams that might work. That is, if all the "E" pieces
are oriented in one direction, and all the "I" pieces are assembled in
one piece, situated on JUST ONE end of the E pieces.

And that may be the case with a transformer that had a large DC component
flowing with the AC (like if it fed a half-wave rectifier bank). Core
gap reduces core losses with high DC components in the current flow.

However, the one appears to be a three-phase device. That's almost
always a AC apparatus (even if it fed a rectifier, it would likely be a
full-wave affair), and the laminations are going to be truly
"interleaved" "E"s and "I"s alternating top and bottom.

You can't get those apart that way.

You CAN saw off the top of the core, then just press the coils off from
the other end. A big (BIG) bandsaw would make quick work of that.

I keep forgetting you're just scrapping it. It doesn't matter if you cut
the core. Nobody's going to salvage it as transformer laminations,
anyway.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-27, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

All I want is to get the copper out as #2 copper. I think that it will
have an unusually good recovery percentage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12347 fired this volley in
:

All I want is to get the copper out as #2 copper. I think that it will
have an unusually good recovery percentage.

Ig, we're not talking about what you want to accomplish, per se.
We're talking about HOW you go about accomplishing it.

If they are vacuum-varnished transformers (almost certain), and the
laminations are interleaved (very likely), you are NOT going to just
"pull apart" the laminations, no matter how big your press.

I've done this work (not to salvage, to rebuild). You may get lucky and
find that both are gapped cores. I don't think that's likely.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/27/2014 9:31 AM, jon_banquer wrote:
On Sunday, July 27, 2014 5:41:02 AM UTC-7, amdx wrote:
On 7/26/2014 10:44 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 6:17:34 PM UTC-7, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

iggy's not mechanical. iggy never will be mechanical. iggy will never be any kind of decent machinist because he can't think and reason. iggy thinks he's really clever asking others on Usenet to think for him.

He doesn't realize how much he hurts himself with this mentality. What's worse are people that for years make every excuse for this kind of behavior. It makes me sick.

I have a feeling that iggy is doing just fine for himself.

He could even be that secret millionaire living next door.

Mikek

As a scrapper I'm sure he is. However, when it comes to machining iggy is a complete failure for the reasons I listed.

Feel better about yourself now?
Mikek
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/27/2014 10:50 AM, Ignoramus12347 wrote:
On 2014-07-27, amdx wrote:
[...]

Looks like you have paid attention to building a net worth* and what
income it will generate.
It's true a million dollars ain't what it used to be. But, if you
follow the 4% rule and add in a husband and wife's SS, you're looking
at $75,000 a year. For me that's more than comfortable.
Less than 5% of the population has a net worth over $1.4 Million.
Interestingly, 50% of the population has a net worth of under $57,000.

Here is an article showing what has happened to wealth in the last 10
years. It has a chart of wealth of American households.
http://web.stanford.edu/group/scspi/...lth-levels.pdf

Here's where I started to get that pdf.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/bu...hird-less.html

Mikek

* net worth calculated as, the total value of all financial and real
assets minus debts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 10:25:31 AM UTC-7, amdx wrote:
[...]

That would imply that I wasn't feeling good about myself and that's not the case.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:02:55 -0500, Ignoramus12347
wrote:

On 2014-07-27, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
[...]

Good move.

If this makes me look bad in the eyes of "machining luminaries" like jon
banquer and "precision machinist", so be it.

bwa ha ha ha ha ha In their dreams.

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 11:37:11 -0500, Ignoramus12347
wrote:

OK, I spent some time thinking about these transformers. One has two
windings and another, has three. I do not think that it is easy to cut
them with a saw. (though I can be wrong).

A 12" long bimetal saw cutting copper wires? Piece of cake.

Here's what I can try to do.

1. Break the varnish with a bobcat-mounted hydraulic hammer
2. Pull the laminations apart with the double acting press

Ten to one you'll spend more time and effort doing it that way, Ig.
Resting the Bobcat's hammer on the xfmr to hold it down while you pry
the wire out might be a good method, though.

3. One I have the windings out I will be happy.

ack Piles of clean copper and clean iron to recycle.

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
learn new things and move forward with your life.
-- Dr. David M. Burns
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:11:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Usually iggy's initial request for help doesn't provide the needed information. iggy will only provide the needed information when he's called on it repeatedly by several responders. iggy does this on purpose because it's a big game to him and he enjoys it. There are always suckers who will play his game time after time. iggy has pulled this **** for years and I as well as others have called him on it repeatedly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

ack Piles of clean copper and clean iron to recycle.

nack Piles of relatively clean iron, and piles of copper mixed with
volumes of mylar, paper, varnish, and wooden wedges.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-07-27, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus12347 fired this volley in
:

All I want is to get the copper out as #2 copper. I think that it will
have an unusually good recovery percentage.

Ig, we're not talking about what you want to accomplish, per se.
We're talking about HOW you go about accomplishing it.

If they are vacuum-varnished transformers (almost certain), and the
laminations are interleaved (very likely), you are NOT going to just
"pull apart" the laminations, no matter how big your press.

OK, how do they pull apart such transformers at scrap yards that
specialize in dismantling them?

I've done this work (not to salvage, to rebuild). You may get lucky and
find that both are gapped cores. I don't think that's likely.

Lloyd, now, if this transformed was heated in an oven to burn off the
varnish, then it would all separate, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To feel good about oneself would involve running with some childish herd, and to keep coming out with sweet little lies.

Your best bet is to say what you actually know.

You have to stop and explain everything to people in here like you are a kid, amdx.

I bet you still haven't cracked an NEC manual yet either, have you.