Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking or politic.

Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups
name?
As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

--
Uffe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 14-Apr-14 6:24 PM, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups
name?
As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

Yep, lots of good people have left.

My filters remove around 80% of posts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 14-Apr-14 6:24 PM, Uffe B‘rentsen wrote:
Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the

groups
name?
As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a

proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

The problem you see here is ubiquitous on UseNet. Because there is a
lack of active moderation in usegroups, spammers, trolls, and off-topic
subjects are pretty much par for the course.

It's more or less reflective of the growing rudeness and lack of dignity
and decorum in public society. "Do what feels good" is the operative
mantra.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 14-Apr-14 7:27 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
On 14-Apr-14 6:24 PM, Uffe B‘rentsen wrote:
Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the

groups
name?
As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a

proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

The problem you see here is ubiquitous on UseNet. Because there is a
lack of active moderation in usegroups, spammers, trolls, and off-topic
subjects are pretty much par for the course.

It's more or less reflective of the growing rudeness and lack of dignity
and decorum in public society. "Do what feels good" is the operative
mantra.

Lloyd

It really is a shame. I've learnt so much great stuff from people here.

It never ceases to amaze me how much time & effort some people will put
in to help out a fellow with similar interests.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, April 14, 2014 3:24:37 AM UTC-7, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups

name?

As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real

metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal

to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

--

Uffe

Well run LinkedIn Groups are the answer.

My LinkedIn Group is getting ready to hit 1,900 members.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 06:27:23 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

On 14-Apr-14 6:24 PM, Uffe B‘rentsen wrote:
Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the

groups
name?
As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a

proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

The problem you see here is ubiquitous on UseNet. Because there is a
lack of active moderation in usegroups, spammers, trolls, and off-topic
subjects are pretty much par for the course.

It's more or less reflective of the growing rudeness and lack of dignity
and decorum in public society. "Do what feels good" is the operative
mantra.

Lloyd

comp.dsp is good, primarily because there's a core group of people there
who simply turn their backs on posts that are too far off topic.

Ditto comp.arch.embedded.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 14-04-2014 13:56, Kennedy skrev:

It really is a shame. I've learnt so much great stuff from people here.

It never ceases to amaze me how much time & effort some people will put
in to help out a fellow with similar interests.

Subscribe.

--
Uffe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 12:24:37 +0200, Uffe Bærentsen
wrote:

Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups
name?
As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

Got something metalworking to ask, chat about or offer?

Or are you simply here to bitch?

One notices that those that most often **** and moan about the
chatting that goes on here are those with the least to offer...or
participate.

We are not here to spoon feed you. Feel free to ask questions, to
discuss metalworking etc etc. We will break away from "off topic"
stuff and join in the new conversation(s)

I picked up an OmniTurn CNC lathe last Thursday at the bloodbath of an
auction in Costa Mesa. The most money any machine brought..was $3200.
This for machines that normally sell used, for $15-$18k.

The dealer who bought 12 of them, came prepared to buy (4) at the
normal price. He was able to buy (12). And each and EVERY one of them
had just been completely rebuilt back to factory specs by yours truly.
In several cases..for far more money than what they sold for.

So what did you do this month for metalworking?

Humm?

I personally rebuilt (11) pulleys for my sailboat projects, removing
the axle pins, turning new Delrin pulleys, then turning new axle pins
and putting them back together

I brought home a new cripple, and will be running down or fabricating
new hardware for this old girl. Fortunately..I got a good supply of
316 stainless stock at the auction.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Oday

So what have you done? Hummm? Except bitch?

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups
name?

There is something wrong with the trolls who insist on posting
political junk in the newsgroup -- and cross-posting to other newsgroups
which tend to feed in more junk.

The only thing which makes this newsgroup usable at all is a
very aggressive killfile.

As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Since at the time the newsgroup was formed, it was not obvious
that moderation would be needed, this is an un-moderated newsgroup, and
the amount of politics necessary to change it to moderated is beyond
what would be considered practical.

Use a real newsreader with a good killfile feature and spend
some time putting trolls and "Subject: " lines into it, and things get a
lot better.

And -- absolutely *never* reply to any of the trolls. This both
helps them get around killfiles based on poster name, and gives them the
pleasure they want from having offended someone.

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

So -- post metalworking related articles, and help push things
back the direction they should be.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

[...]

It seems that most metalworking people are opinionated and express those
opinions at the drop of a hat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
On 4/15/2014 12:46 AM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

It seems that most metalworking people are opinionated and express
those opinions at the drop of a hat.

Some rcm regulars can base their opinions on a good education.

You might enjoy this intelligent and perceptive travelogue by the man
who shaped the Democratic party's ideology for the first half of the
20th century.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45376...-h/45376-h.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jennings_Bryan

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

[...]

Damned right!!

Its the splinters in the skin..makes us crazy!!

(Grin)

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties
that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Only the military and police should have weapons he averred and what did I think about that?

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/14/2014 09:46 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:
[snip]
Use a real newsreader with a good killfile feature and spend
some time putting trolls and "Subject: " lines into it, and things get a
lot better.

It is also effective to filter out any posts that are crossposted to
certain particular groups as well.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Damned right!!

Its the splinters in the skin..makes us crazy!!

That doesn't explain the insane among us.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 16:31:24 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Damned right!!

Its the splinters in the skin..makes us crazy!!

That doesn't explain the insane among us.

That's caused by inhaling Florida swamp gases for too long.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

[...]

Try brush wire in your feet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Damned right!!

Its the splinters in the skin..makes us crazy!!

That doesn't explain the insane among us.

That's caused by inhaling Florida swamp gases for too long.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
more beads than you know what to do with.
-- Ellen DeGeneres, Tulane Commencement Speech, 2009

Now, that makes sense!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Damned right!!

Its the splinters in the skin..makes us crazy!!

That doesn't explain the insane among us.

That's caused by inhaling Florida swamp gases for too long.

How do they do that in New York & New Jersey before they get to
Florida?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Damned right!!

Its the splinters in the skin..makes us crazy!!

That doesn't explain the insane among us.

That's caused by inhaling Florida swamp gases for too long.

How do they do that in New York & New Jersey before they get to
Florida?

Well, DUH! Floridians travel.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
more beads than you know what to do with.
-- Ellen DeGeneres, Tulane Commencement Speech, 2009
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-04-14, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

[...]

Midwestern acupuncture, eh?

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
more beads than you know what to do with.
-- Ellen DeGeneres, Tulane Commencement Speech, 2009

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 14:04:21 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message
On 4/15/2014 12:46 AM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

It seems that most metalworking people are opinionated and express
those opinions at the drop of a hat.

Some rcm regulars can base their opinions on a good education.

You might enjoy this intelligent and perceptive travelogue by the man
who shaped the Democratic party's ideology for the first half of the
20th century.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/45376...-h/45376-h.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Jennings_Bryan

jsw

More on the goals of the Democratic Party

https://realdemocrathistory.wordpress.com/category/kkk/

--

"

On 2014-04-14, Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Hi All

[...]

Gulp!!

Actually had that done with a brass brush in a Vietnamese bath house.
Wasnt bad.

GUnner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties
that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Only the military and police should have weapons he averred and what did I think about that?

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups
name?
As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

The world has moved on to moderated web-based forums. And for the
bette, considering the political wasteland this place has turned into.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:11:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 12:24:37 +0200, Uffe B�rentsen

wrote:

Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups

name?

As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real

metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal

to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

The world has moved on to moderated web-based forums. And for the

bette, considering the political wasteland this place has turned into.

The world is now moving on from poorly moderated, advertising based, web forums to well run LinkedIn groups.

Usenet is a wasteland.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:27:27 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
On Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:11:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:

The world is now moving on from poorly moderated, advertising based, web forums to well run LinkedIn groups.

Usenet is a wasteland.

Non-regulated groups like these will always be around because there aren't so many sharp edges.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uffe Bærentsen wrote:

Hi All

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this group or the groups
name?
As I understand it the name rec.crafts.metalworking refers to real
metalwork and not some political grinding. Or should ther be a proposal
to change the name of the group in a political direction?

Just my humble 2-cent to the direction this group is taking.

You can't change the name, you have to create a new newsgroup.

Metalworking Hench Metalworking 25 March 13th 13 10:18 PM
***** The Best Is An MetalWorking ****** pappu[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 12th 10 07:21 AM
Metalworking Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 5 June 29th 10 11:25 PM
Metalworking No Name Metalworking 6 September 6th 09 01:32 AM