Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Keeping cats off wife's car in garage

My wife has an 07 escape. We have cats that stay in the garage. They always get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

Anyway, short of getting rid of the cats, is there anythign I can do to keep them off? I tried a motion detector chime, but the cats ignored it and it was irritating becasue it would go off when people walked by. My next idea is to try to make a square the size of the hood out of pvc and suspend it from the ceiling to sort of "block" them from getting on it.

You guys are good at coming up with stuff. I thought I would ask. I thought a hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform this way.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/02/2013 09:30, stryped wrote:
[...]

Easy & assured solution. Show your missus where the hood releast is.
When she pulls into the garage she can pop the hood. Any cat that can
sit on a 70 degree angled hood deserved to be allowed to stay there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/8/2013 5:30 AM, stryped wrote:
[...]

Didn't the NRA tell us about the solution to this critical problem?

--
For a $5 dollar donation today you get credit for $10 with HIM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/8/2013 8:30 AM, stryped wrote:
[...]

Ain't gonna' happen! Enjoy the footprints as marks of a cat lover,
other people will.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
-My wife has an 07 escape. We have cats that stay in the garage.
-They always get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it
is cleaned.

A mousetrap between sheets of cardboard makes an effective but
harmless land mine to discourage them.

You could hang dowels horizontally above the edges where the cats jump
up, with hooks to raise them up out of the way when the garage is
empty.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 05:30:12 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

[...]

Electric fence power supply connected to car?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 8, 2013 8:30:12 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
[...]

Suspend a sheet such that when she pulls in it drapes over the hood, the mouse-catchers get their warm spot, and the hood stays clean.

Suspend it low, just over the hood height at the windshield. And don't hide behind it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:43:25 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
-My wife has an 07 escape. We have cats that stay in the garage.
-They always get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it
is cleaned.

A mousetrap between sheets of cardboard makes an effective but
harmless land mine to discourage them.

You could hang dowels horizontally above the edges where the cats jump
up, with hooks to raise them up out of the way when the garage is
empty.

Instead of feeding the troll, consider offering him recipes to cure
his little problem. vbg

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

Instead of feeding the troll, consider offering him recipes to cure
his little problem. vbg

The vet in town liked to get out of the office and make house calls,
no extra charge. After he checked my calm and cooperative Golden
Retriever I asked him what he thought of cats. He looked around to
make sure no one else could hear and then said they make nice throw
rugs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:12:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

Instead of feeding the troll, consider offering him recipes to cure
his little problem. vbg

The vet in town liked to get out of the office and make house calls,
no extra charge. After he checked my calm and cooperative Golden
Retriever I asked him what he thought of cats. He looked around to
make sure no one else could hear and then said they make nice throw
rugs.

I love cats, but they need to know their place, and it AIN'T on my
truck or car. Got rice? Let's eat!

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
--Paul Newman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped fired this volley in
:

[...]

Just throw a blanket over the hood. It will protect the hood, and the
cat will like the feel of it enough so as NOT to jump up on the roof.

(from experience)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

Instead of feeding the troll, consider offering him recipes to cure
his little problem. vbg

The vet in town liked to get out of the office and make house calls,
no extra charge. After he checked my calm and cooperative Golden
Retriever I asked him what he thought of cats. He looked around to
make sure no one else could hear and then said they make nice throw
rugs.

I love cats, but they need to know their place, and it AIN'T on my
truck or car. Got rice? Let's eat!

The little *******s (daughter-in-law's herd) like to get up on the seat of
my motorcycle under the cover . They bounce nicely off a wooden gate . Now
don't misunderstand , I like (some) cats . Just not on my expensive
aftermarket motorcycle seat .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gotta think like a cat. Concrete=cold and low, freshly parked
car=warm and high. They're looking to keep their tootsies warmed up
and get up higher. So stick a nest together on a shelf somewhere with
easy cat access and warm it up. Make it more attractive to squat there
than on the car hood. My sister uses old boat cushions, boxes and
discarded clothing for rags to line the boxes in her tool shed, her
cats hang out in those when it gets cold. Guy I worked with used to
lose a few semi-feral cats he had outside every year, they'd crawl
into the engine compartment to get warm and the belts would get them
when he started it up in the morning. No other place for them to get
up off the ground or out of the weather but there. Made a hell of a
mess in there, too. Was northern CA, parking outside all the time was
normal there for a lot of folks.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Only works if the cats touch the car and ground at the same time.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"John B." wrote in message

Electric fence power supply connected to car?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now, that's not nice!

(They make coasters for drinks on the table.
Not big enough for throw rugs.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

The vet in town liked to get out of the office and make house calls,
no extra charge. After he checked my calm and cooperative Golden
Retriever I asked him what he thought of cats. He looked around to
make sure no one else could hear and then said they make nice throw
rugs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think others have the approach. Combination of make the hood less
attractive, and make other places more attractive.

I wonder if some kind of car wax is less appealing to the cats? Get some
Kitty off Super Sticky.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
[...]

they're one of the few vermin that deserve sticky traps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 8, 8:30*am, stryped wrote:
My wife has an 07 escape. We have cats that stay in the garage. They always get on the hood of the car, especially it seems after it is cleaned.

Anyway, short of getting rid of the cats, is there anythign I can do

to keep them off?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Put a car-cover over the Ford.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 13:23:18 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Only works if the cats touch the car and ground at the same time.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"John B." wrote in message
.. .

Electric fence power supply connected to car?

You are right. since I never jumped on a car hood it never occurred to
me :-(

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:34:17 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

Gotta think like a cat. Concrete=cold and low, freshly parked
car=warm and high. They're looking to keep their tootsies warmed up
and get up higher. So stick a nest together on a shelf somewhere with
easy cat access and warm it up. Make it more attractive to squat there
than on the car hood. My sister uses old boat cushions, boxes and
discarded clothing for rags to line the boxes in her tool shed, her
cats hang out in those when it gets cold. Guy I worked with used to
lose a few semi-feral cats he had outside every year, they'd crawl
into the engine compartment to get warm and the belts would get them
when he started it up in the morning. No other place for them to get
up off the ground or out of the weather but there. Made a hell of a
mess in there, too. Was northern CA, parking outside all the time was
normal there for a lot of folks.

I've caught cats like that a couple times, but both came out alive and
relatively unharmed and relatively full-furred. I believe they never
snoozed by radiators again, though.

That's one SCARY noise, though.

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
--Paul Newman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 09:43:23 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Cat foot prints? They are a problem? For which anal retentive
type?

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
[...]

Park the car out side. Let the cats inside.

Otherwise, a car cozy. Something as simple as a blanket. Sew
magnets into the corners to keep it on the car.

Because the cats will go up on top of what ever is big enough to
get on, because it is there, and they are cats.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Otherwise, a car cozy. Something as simple as a blanket. Sew
magnets into the corners to keep it on the car.

Or buy a shower curtain with magnets in the bottom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote

Indeed. Cat foot prints? They are a problem? For which anal retentive
type?

Gunner

My Mom always tole me, "Anyone who has cat footprints on their car is
probably wearing dirty underwear, too."

Good ole Ma.

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 12:13:17 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Gunner" wrote

Indeed. Cat foot prints? They are a problem? For which anal retentive
type?

Gunner

My Mom always tole me, "Anyone who has cat footprints on their car is
probably wearing dirty underwear, too."

Good ole Ma.

Steve ;-)

The inside of my work truck is filled with dog hair..the outside is
covered with kitty foot prints.

And I never wear underwear.

Learned that in the jungle.

VBG

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 12:54:13 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 12:13:17 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Gunner" wrote

Indeed. Cat foot prints? They are a problem? For which anal retentive
type?

Gunner

My Mom always tole me, "Anyone who has cat footprints on their car is
probably wearing dirty underwear, too."

Good ole Ma.

Steve ;-)

The inside of my work truck is filled with dog hair..the outside is
covered with kitty foot prints.

And I never wear underwear.

Learned that in the jungle.

VBG

Gunner

What I hate is when you start the car (in the old days when there were
belt driven fans to suck air through the rad.) and the neighbours red
and white cat runs out from under the engine compartment. Then you
need to hose down the engine compartment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

You guys are good at coming up with stuff. I thought I would ask. I
thought a hi tech thing to do would be to install some sort of motion
detection valve that would briefly open when motion is sensed and would be
connected to an air tank to "blow" at the cat, however this is probaly too
expensive and I know of no motion detedction valves that would perform
this way.

I could do that with all off the shelf components, and not very expensively
either... or do you mean free and have me do all the detailed design work
for you?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 14:10:44 -0500
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

Otherwise, a car cozy. Something as simple as a blanket. Sew
magnets into the corners to keep it on the car.

Or buy a shower curtain with magnets in the bottom.

Same difference.

I used a piece of fabric with some old security sensor magnets in
the corners to keep the frost off the windshield when working nights.
Everybody else is scraping windshields, I just pull it off and leave

pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 9 Feb 2013
14:10:44 -0500
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
. ..

Otherwise, a car cozy. Something as simple as a blanket. Sew
magnets into the corners to keep it on the car.

Or buy a shower curtain with magnets in the bottom.

Same difference.

I used a piece of fabric with some old security sensor magnets in
the corners to keep the frost off the windshield when working
nights.
Everybody else is scraping windshields, I just pull it off and leave

A plastic shower curtain is cheap and -slippery-.

A used one that has lost plasticizer may be safer for the paint. Some
new tarps have a warning about damage to car finishes.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 07:46:22
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 9 Feb 2013
14:10:44 -0500
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Otherwise, a car cozy. Something as simple as a blanket. Sew
magnets into the corners to keep it on the car.

Or buy a shower curtain with magnets in the bottom.

Same difference.

I used a piece of fabric with some old security sensor magnets in
the corners to keep the frost off the windshield when working
nights.
Everybody else is scraping windshields, I just pull it off and leave

A plastic shower curtain is cheap and -slippery-.

IF I had one, I might have considered it.

A used one that has lost plasticizer may be safer for the paint. Some
new tarps have a warning about damage to car finishes.

Goodwill for a set of sheets / pillow case.
jsw

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry... don't wear underwear!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

Instead of feeding the troll, consider offering him recipes to cure
his little problem. vbg

The vet in town liked to get out of the office and make house calls,
no extra charge. After he checked my calm and cooperative Golden
Retriever I asked him what he thought of cats. He looked around to
make sure no one else could hear and then said they make nice throw
rugs.

I'da had that sucker by the throat so fast. Not to mention I'd have reported him to whomever idiot vets get reported to. If he feels that way about "any" animal then he shouldn't be a veterinarian .