Plug 3/4-10 threaded holes

Old November 27th 12, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plug 3/4-10 threaded holes

I pulled the bolster plate on a 30 ton Bliss press to repair the
hold-down bolt holes. There are 21 inserts that are "T" shape with a
minor dia. of 1.25" and the major dia. of the flange is 2", they are
installed from the bottom and are drilled and threaded 5/8-11. I
drilled them all out and threaded them 3/4-10. What happens is after
only 20 years or so the 5/8-11 holes get boogered-up and stripped.
sometimes the dies get changed 10 times a day. The 3/4-10 should last a
LOT longer and hold better. I want to plug all the holes that aren't
being used for that set-up so crap and little pieces of steel wire don't
get in the hole and shorten the thread life and hamper easy set-ups.

I looked on the web and I'm NOT spending $3-5 apiece. I will cut
threaded rod and grind or mill a slot for a screwdriver if I can't find
a better solution. The plugs have to be easy and quick to remove and
install and keep the spoo out. Any suggestions?
Old November 27th 12, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-27, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

I also would not pay that much.

Make a vise fixture with a 3/4-10 hole, that you would hold in a
vise. You use the hole you would screw in the rod for precision
cutting off.

Old November 27th 12, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Take a look at http://www.caplugs.com/

They have plugs that will do that with ease. The high temp black
silicone I looked up quick ran about $00.50 cents each in a 50 pack.

If you want threaded they also have those and will make you just about
anything.

OH and they will send you samples for testing FREE!!

Used to use them by the thousands in the paint shop.

--
Steve W.
Old November 27th 12, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/26/2012 8:04 PM, Steve W. wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

I forgot about them...and I BUY parts from them! Thanks!

Old November 27th 12, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/26/2012 7:54 PM, Ignoramus22527 wrote:
On 2012-11-27, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

Cool! How about a 5C collet block in the lathe? That shouldn't hurt
the threads...but your way would be faster!
Old November 27th 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-27, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

does not give you cnosistent depth
Old November 27th 12, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:22:22 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Mcmaster carr has 3/4-10 x 3/4L set screws for $0.98
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Old November 27th 12, 12:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" Mars@Tacks wrote in message

I looked on the web and I'm NOT spending $3-5 apiece. I will cut
threaded rod and grind or mill a slot for a screwdriver if I can't
find a better solution. The plugs have to be easy and quick to
remove and install and keep the spoo out. Any suggestions?

I make male and female thread-holding plugs to fit in my 5C collets
from 1" drill rod and use a screw-in collet stop to set the length,
close enough for most applications.

Old December 1st 12, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Threaded rod sounds like your best option.

Gunner

1. Lie