Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Car tire balancing at home possible?

Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer? I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate.

Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont live near a shop. (Amish country).

I have also heard of people putting some sort of rubber toy pellets inside a tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is similar to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks.

I appreciate any advice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer?
I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires,
bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not
acurate.

-Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont
live near a shop. (Amish country).
-I appreciate any advice.

I balanced my truck tires to run smoothly without functioning shock
absorbers with a home-made balance. It consisted of an aluminum disk
with a step turned to a close fit in the wheel's center hole, and a
tapped hole through the center. The balancing mechanism is an upright
post of sharpened music wire mounted in a small ball bearing and a
bolt that screws into the disk, with a conical recess in the threaded
end that rests on the point of the post.

Its sensitivity depends on how high the point is above the tire's
center of gravity. Turning in the bolt raises the tire until the
balance is very delicate, a quarter ounce or less tilts the tire
considerably. It could be set so sensitive that it didn't need a
bubble. I compared the tire to the horizon.

On those wheels at least, if the heavy spots were high on one side and
low on the other the tire would wobble when spun slowly even though it
had been in static balance.

*If you don't see why, hang a wrench from a thread slightly off center
so it hangs freely at an angle, then spin it and watch centrifugal
force level it. The wrench ends simulate a tire that's heavy in
different places on opposite sides.

You can decrease the effect of a too-heavy weight by using a pair of
them, one on either side of the light spot. Their apparent weight
decreases as you move them both further apart. When they are directly
opposite each other they don't affect the balance at all.

Then I noticed that the shock mount had broken loose at the top where
it was normally hidden.

The balancer is spinning on the desk beside me now, minus the tire.
I've adjusted it to be slightly unstable, CG barely above the balance
point, so it tips sideways just before it stops turning.

The problem with this design is rapid point wear. I had to resharpen
the point for each tire.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2012 5:31 AM, stryped wrote:
Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer? I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate.

Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont live near a shop. (Amish country).

I have also heard of people putting some sort of rubber toy pellets inside a tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is similar to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks.

I appreciate any advice.

The question illustrates why the demographic trend is for the country to
become more urbanized. Hicks who want to live far from civilization pay
a price in lack of amenities and inferior services. Besides redneck
wheel balancing, you probably also could methods for DIY hillbilly root
canal and - of course! - colon cancer screening, but the results will be
typically bad.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
The question illustrates why the demographic trend is for the
country to become more urbanized. Hicks who want to live far from
civilization pay a price in lack of amenities and inferior services.
Besides redneck wheel balancing, you probably also could methods for
DIY hillbilly root canal and - of course! - colon cancer screening,
but the results will be typically bad.

The services are only "inferior" if you haven't learned the
alternatives. I have friends who lived for years without mains
electricity or running water. I loaned them a generator but they
didn't use it much. They were neat and well-dressed when they went out
and if you met them you'd never know.

My grandmother had a rural do-it-yourself book printed in 1820 that
lamented how everyone had moved to town and forgotten the old
self-reliance.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:14:07 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The problem with this design is rapid point wear. I had to resharpen the
point for each tire.

Use a pair of conical recesses and a bearing-ball.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 30, 2012 9:14:07 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

Do you have any pictures? I am having a little problem visualising. (I also dont have acess to a lath and mill).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 30, 2012 7:31:46 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer? I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate. Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont live near a shop. (Amish country). I have also heard of people putting some sort of rubber toy pellets inside a tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is similar to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks. I appreciate any advice.

Buy the bubble balancer. This used to be the way all tires were balanced until the spin balancer became the idiot proof operator method. You still need a supply of either self stick or rim clamped weights.

ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"xpzzzz" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:14:07 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The problem with this design is rapid point wear. I had to
resharpen the
point for each tire.

Use a pair of conical recesses and a bearing-ball.

Static friction would be much higher, though it wouldn't increase as
fast. Right after sharpening it was sensitive to the weight of the
valve cap.

The music wire point has degraded to a half-round ~0.015" in diameter
and needs to be resharpened. I can't tell the shape of the recess. If
the truck wheel wasn't so heavy I'd use a ball point pen tip.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2012 8:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
The question illustrates why the demographic trend is for the
country to become more urbanized. Hicks who want to live far from
civilization pay a price in lack of amenities and inferior services.
Besides redneck wheel balancing, you probably also could methods for
DIY hillbilly root canal and - of course! - colon cancer screening,
but the results will be typically bad.

The services are only "inferior" if you haven't learned the
alternatives. I have friends who lived for years without mains
electricity or running water. I loaned them a generator but they
didn't use it much. They were neat and well-dressed when they went out
and if you met them you'd never know.

My grandmother had a rural do-it-yourself book printed in 1820 that
lamented how everyone had moved to town and forgotten the old
self-reliance.

"Self-reliance" doesn't mean doing everything for yourself. There are
gains from exchange, both among nations and among individuals.

Years ago, a colleague criticized me for not doing my own car repairs.
To him, it was just unarguably a mark of virtue to fix his own car, and
he regarded those who didn't as morally deficient - "sinners", in a way.
I asked him, "Do you do your own dry cleaning, too?" He didn't have
an answer.

My only point in my original reply in the thread is that if you're going
to live in the sticks, you are forced to choose between doing a lot of
things for yourself that others conveniently and relatively cheaply hire
out to have done, or to travel long distances to get done. I think
trying to figure out how to balance your own wheels is just absurd.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Several decades ago, J.C. Whitney had a bubble balancer that was rather good
quality. I ordered one (this would be about 1982). The one they sent was a
whole differnt design, and was useless. I doubt things got much better.
Google shows them.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&t...ac.Z-1iSmxiEpM

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
-Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I
dont
live near a shop. (Amish country).
-I appreciate any advice.

I balanced my truck tires to run smoothly without functioning shock
absorbers with a home-made balance.
jsw

Do you have any pictures? I am having a little problem visualising.
(I also dont have acess to a lath and mill).

It isn't a hand-tool project. I've been arranging the parts and
thinking how to take a useful photograph but only a cross-section
drawing that shows the suspension point relative to the center of
gravity would really help. The important parts are hidden when it's
assembled and anyway it's a custom fit to a certain old aluminum Ford
wheel, and wouldn't work for rims with a different offset.
http://www.nicoclub.com/tech/images/...set-image2.jpg

I learned how to do a redneck wheel alignment at the racetrack, but
never saw then balance tires without a machine.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
I think trying to figure out how to balance your own wheels is just
absurd.

Five trips to two tire shops hadn't cured speed-dependent steering
wheel shake.

BTW I learned to do my own spot-free drycleaning as a field sevice
tech. Working in unfamiliar places with only carry-on luggage can be
more difficult and uncertain than backpacking in the mountains. And in
Flint MI, more hazardous.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2012 11:03 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
I think trying to figure out how to balance your own wheels is just
absurd.

Five trips to two tire shops hadn't cured speed-dependent steering
wheel shake.

Then either you don't have a wheel balance problem, or you are
patronizing incompetent and/or unethical businesses.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
I think trying to figure out how to balance your own wheels is just
absurd.

Five trips to two tire shops hadn't cured speed-dependent steering
wheel shake.

BTW I learned to do my own spot-free drycleaning as a field sevice
tech. Working in unfamiliar places with only carry-on luggage can be
more difficult and uncertain than backpacking in the mountains. And in
Flint MI, more hazardous.

Don't feed the sockpuppet
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
On 7/30/2012 11:03 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
I think trying to figure out how to balance your own wheels is
just
absurd.

Five trips to two tire shops hadn't cured speed-dependent steering
wheel shake.

Then either you don't have a wheel balance problem, or you are
patronizing incompetent and/or unethical businesses.

If you read my post you'd see I had a broken upper shock absorber
mount. It wasn't visible without sticking my head way into the
wheelwell. Being disconnected it failed to absorb the minor vibration
of slight imbalance as it should have and let the suspension resonate
at around 30 and 60MPH.

Don't be so defensive. I haven't attacked your choice to buy services
rather than learn skills. As a downtown apartment dweller I couldn't
do much either.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2012 3:39 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I do an informal "make-or-buy" analysis for all kinds of service and
repair tasks, much as any firm might do (a "make-or-buy" flag is a
standard field on a parts master in any ERP computer package.) What
I've found is that over time, and as manufactured goods become
simultaneously (and somewhat paradoxically) both more complex and
cheaper, the option to do it myself becomes less and less economically
sensible. Either the the repair shouldn't be done at all - the total
cost of it exceeds the cost of replacement - or it requires an
ever-increasing amount of sophisticated tools and technical expertise.

This is not a new phenomenon, but the pace of it is accelerating. My
grandfather, a fairly mechanically adept farmer in downstate Illinois
when the Great Depression started, never did accommodate himself to the
throwaway culture that had emerged and begun to take over by the time he
died in 1969.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message

Don't feed the sockpuppet

He raised a point that needs to be dulled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message

Don't feed the sockpuppet

He raised a point that needs to be dulled.

Maybe, but they won't go away if you keep feeding them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:03:57 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
I think trying to figure out how to balance your own wheels is just
absurd.

Five trips to two tire shops hadn't cured speed-dependent steering
wheel shake.

Brake drums and rotors have been known to be out of balance, too. Did
either of those shops balance the front wheels -on- the vehicle? I'm
guessing that the front suspension, tie rods, drag link, idler
bushings, and wheel bearings were tested and were tight & proper.

BTW I learned to do my own spot-free drycleaning as a field sevice
tech. Working in unfamiliar places with only carry-on luggage can be
more difficult and uncertain than backpacking in the mountains. And in
Flint MI, more hazardous.

Because of your fluids? (If not, what did I miss?)

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 30, 5:54*pm, Jack Skolasky wrote:
On 7/30/2012 3:39 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
m...
[...]

died in 1969.- Hide quoted text -

Well said.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

BTW I learned to do my own spot-free drycleaning as a field sevice
tech. Working in unfamiliar places with only carry-on luggage can be
more difficult and uncertain than backpacking in the mountains. And
in
Flint MI, more hazardous.

Because of your fluids? (If not, what did I miss?)

Because of working on GM production-line equipment in a white shirt
and tie.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:20:20 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

BTW I learned to do my own spot-free drycleaning as a field sevice
tech. Working in unfamiliar places with only carry-on luggage can be
more difficult and uncertain than backpacking in the mountains. And
in
Flint MI, more hazardous.

Because of your fluids? (If not, what did I miss?)

Because of working on GM production-line equipment in a white shirt
and tie.

That'd do it, alright. Those were different times, weren't they?

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

BTW I learned to do my own spot-free drycleaning as a field sevice
tech. Working in unfamiliar places with only carry-on luggage can
be
more difficult and uncertain than backpacking in the mountains.
And
in
Flint MI, more hazardous.

Because of your fluids? (If not, what did I miss?)

Because of working on GM production-line equipment in a white shirt
and tie.

That'd do it, alright. Those were different times, weren't they?

OTOH I flew first class.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:14:11 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

BTW I learned to do my own spot-free drycleaning as a field sevice
tech. Working in unfamiliar places with only carry-on luggage can
be
more difficult and uncertain than backpacking in the mountains.
And
in
Flint MI, more hazardous.

Because of your fluids? (If not, what did I miss?)

Because of working on GM production-line equipment in a white shirt
and tie.

That'd do it, alright. Those were different times, weren't they?

OTOH I flew first class.

When I was flying to and from Sandy Eggo to Oakland monthly, I flew
Southwest's cattle class. Overstuffed 737s with seats 6" closer
together than other models. That was fine, though. Prices were
$39.95 for the round trip air fare and the flights took just under an
hour.

To go around the world or cross-country, business or first class would
be my preference, but cattle class would be my budget.

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 30, 2012 12:19:07 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Several decades ago, J.C. Whitney had a bubble balancer that was rather good quality. I ordered one (this would be about 1982). The one they sent was a whole differnt design, and was useless. I doubt things got much better. Google shows them. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&t...ac.Z-1iSmxiEpM Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . wrote in message ... On Monday, July 30, 2012 7:31:46 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote: Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer? I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate. Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont live near a shop. (Amish country). I have also heard of people putting some sort of rubber toy pellets inside a tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is similar to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks. I appreciate any advice. Buy the bubble balancer. This used to be the way all tires were balanced until the spin balancer became the idiot proof operator method. You still need a supply of either self stick or rim clamped weights. ignator

Yup, that's the one I have from ~1978. I also worked a summer for a Bondag franchise, doing flat repair and new tire installation, 1974ish, bubble balancers were the only method available, and this worked even with large tires, and highway speeds of 75 MPH.
ignator
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:57:53 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking, "Jim
Wilkins" wrote,
The music wire point has degraded to a half-round ~0.015" in diameter
and needs to be resharpened. I can't tell the shape of the recess. If
the truck wheel wasn't so heavy I'd use a ball point pen tip.

When I need a nice hard pointy thing I usually make it from the 1/8"
shank of a broken carbide circuit board drill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use change tires for a living and learned a easy trick to balance a tire if you lower the air pressure to 10 - 15 pounds drive for about 30 miles the tires will balance themselves I haven't payed for tire balence in 20 years
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:38:06 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:50:39 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I use change tires for a living and learned a easy trick to balance
a tire if you lower the air pressure to 10 - 15 pounds drive for
about 30 miles the tires will balance themselves I haven't payed
for tire balence in 20 years
I'm, calling BS.
As a mechanic since the late sixties.

Hey Clare , have you tried microbeads ? A guy I know swears they
work just swell , I'd think they would pick up the heavy spot and
make things worse .

I know a guy who tried them in his 33 inch tires on a jeep and he
swore "at" them. Theoretically they should work for slight imballance.
I used to have a set of self balancing plates that boted on between
the drum and rim on my '53 Coronet. They were effective and used a
tube of "shot" on the outer circumference. Good for up to about an
ounce of inbalance The beeds could do the fine balance after doing a
rough "bubble balance" Bubble balancers are readily available at a
decent price and used to be the only way to balance a tire before spin
balancers came along (on-car first, then the electronic off-car
dynamic balancers in common use today)

I'll be mounting a tire on Mr Motorcycle in a few days , and will be using
a static type balancer . Basically a straight rod thru the hub , with a pair
of bearings on the outboard ends . Bearings to be supported by a pair of
jackstands or similar . Gotta get the centering cones machined ...

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 07:28:08 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

Just remember to split the weights between sides to attempt to
override any dynamic balance problems. It helps, but doesn't fix 'em.

Use open ball or taper bearings with 5w oil on them for the most
sensitivity.

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.

Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 28th 19 11:18 PM
Tire/wheel balancing at home stryped[_3_] Metalworking 22 May 7th 12 04:48 PM
Changing a tire at home stryped[_2_] Metalworking 29 February 6th 09 09:16 PM
A/c balancing Mark Savoy Home Repair 2 May 30th 06 05:26 PM
Balancing nigelb UK diy 2 November 21st 05 10:34 PM