Car tire balancing at home possible?

Old July 30th 12, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Car tire balancing at home possible?

Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer? I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate.

Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont live near a shop. (Amish country).

I have also heard of people putting some sort of rubber toy pellets inside a tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is similar to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks.

I appreciate any advice.
Old July 30th 12, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer?
I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires,
bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not
acurate.

-Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont
live near a shop. (Amish country).
-I appreciate any advice.

I balanced my truck tires to run smoothly without functioning shock
absorbers with a home-made balance. It consisted of an aluminum disk
with a step turned to a close fit in the wheel's center hole, and a
tapped hole through the center. The balancing mechanism is an upright
post of sharpened music wire mounted in a small ball bearing and a
bolt that screws into the disk, with a conical recess in the threaded
end that rests on the point of the post.

Its sensitivity depends on how high the point is above the tire's
center of gravity. Turning in the bolt raises the tire until the
balance is very delicate, a quarter ounce or less tilts the tire
considerably. It could be set so sensitive that it didn't need a
bubble. I compared the tire to the horizon.

On those wheels at least, if the heavy spots were high on one side and
low on the other the tire would wobble when spun slowly even though it
had been in static balance.

*If you don't see why, hang a wrench from a thread slightly off center
so it hangs freely at an angle, then spin it and watch centrifugal
force level it. The wrench ends simulate a tire that's heavy in
different places on opposite sides.

You can decrease the effect of a too-heavy weight by using a pair of
them, one on either side of the light spot. Their apparent weight
decreases as you move them both further apart. When they are directly
opposite each other they don't affect the balance at all.

Then I noticed that the shock mount had broken loose at the top where
it was normally hidden.

The balancer is spinning on the desk beside me now, minus the tire.
I've adjusted it to be slightly unstable, CG barely above the balance
point, so it tips sideways just before it stops turning.

The problem with this design is rapid point wear. I had to resharpen
the point for each tire.

jsw

Old July 30th 12, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2012 5:31 AM, stryped wrote:
Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer? I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate.

Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont live near a shop. (Amish country).

I have also heard of people putting some sort of rubber toy pellets inside a tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is similar to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks.

I appreciate any advice.

The question illustrates why the demographic trend is for the country to
become more urbanized. Hicks who want to live far from civilization pay
a price in lack of amenities and inferior services. Besides redneck
wheel balancing, you probably also could methods for DIY hillbilly root
canal and - of course! - colon cancer screening, but the results will be
typically bad.
Old July 30th 12, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
The question illustrates why the demographic trend is for the
country to become more urbanized. Hicks who want to live far from
civilization pay a price in lack of amenities and inferior services.
Besides redneck wheel balancing, you probably also could methods for
DIY hillbilly root canal and - of course! - colon cancer screening,
but the results will be typically bad.

The services are only "inferior" if you haven't learned the
alternatives. I have friends who lived for years without mains
electricity or running water. I loaned them a generator but they
didn't use it much. They were neat and well-dressed when they went out
and if you met them you'd never know.

My grandmother had a rural do-it-yourself book printed in 1820 that
lamented how everyone had moved to town and forgotten the old
self-reliance.

jsw

Old July 30th 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:14:07 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The problem with this design is rapid point wear. I had to resharpen the
point for each tire.

Use a pair of conical recesses and a bearing-ball.
Old July 30th 12, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 30, 2012 9:14:07 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[...]

Do you have any pictures? I am having a little problem visualising. (I also dont have acess to a lath and mill).
Old July 30th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 30, 2012 7:31:46 AM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
Is there a way to balance wheels at home without a computer baalancer? I have seen at harbor freight kits designed for motorcycle tires, bubble balancers and the like. I have heard bubble balancers are not acurate. Does anyone have any idea on "good" redneck ways to do this? I dont live near a shop. (Amish country). I have also heard of people putting some sort of rubber toy pellets inside a tire. Supposedly as the tire spins these pellets locate themselves at the appropriate places centrifically to balance the tire. I assume this is similar to the liquid tire balancer you can purchase for large trucks. I appreciate any advice.

Buy the bubble balancer. This used to be the way all tires were balanced until the spin balancer became the idiot proof operator method. You still need a supply of either self stick or rim clamped weights.

ignator
Old July 30th 12, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"xpzzzz" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:14:07 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

The problem with this design is rapid point wear. I had to
resharpen the
point for each tire.

Use a pair of conical recesses and a bearing-ball.

Static friction would be much higher, though it wouldn't increase as
fast. Right after sharpening it was sensitive to the weight of the
valve cap.

The music wire point has degraded to a half-round ~0.015" in diameter
and needs to be resharpened. I can't tell the shape of the recess. If
the truck wheel wasn't so heavy I'd use a ball point pen tip.

jsw

Old July 30th 12, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/30/2012 8:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jack Skolasky" wrote in message
The question illustrates why the demographic trend is for the
country to become more urbanized. Hicks who want to live far from
civilization pay a price in lack of amenities and inferior services.
Besides redneck wheel balancing, you probably also could methods for
DIY hillbilly root canal and - of course! - colon cancer screening,
but the results will be typically bad.

The services are only "inferior" if you haven't learned the
alternatives. I have friends who lived for years without mains
electricity or running water. I loaned them a generator but they
didn't use it much. They were neat and well-dressed when they went out
and if you met them you'd never know.

My grandmother had a rural do-it-yourself book printed in 1820 that
lamented how everyone had moved to town and forgotten the old
self-reliance.

"Self-reliance" doesn't mean doing everything for yourself. There are
gains from exchange, both among nations and among individuals.

Years ago, a colleague criticized me for not doing my own car repairs.
To him, it was just unarguably a mark of virtue to fix his own car, and
he regarded those who didn't as morally deficient - "sinners", in a way.
I asked him, "Do you do your own dry cleaning, too?" He didn't have
an answer.

My only point in my original reply in the thread is that if you're going
to live in the sticks, you are forced to choose between doing a lot of
things for yourself that others conveniently and relatively cheaply hire
out to have done, or to travel long distances to get done. I think
trying to figure out how to balance your own wheels is just absurd.
Old July 30th 12, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Several decades ago, J.C. Whitney had a bubble balancer that was rather good
quality. I ordered one (this would be about 1982). The one they sent was a
whole differnt design, and was useless. I doubt things got much better.
Google shows them.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&t...ac.Z-1iSmxiEpM

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
[...]

Tire/wheel balancing at home stryped[_3_] Metalworking 22 May 7th 12 04:48 PM
Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 3 April 11th 12 03:48 AM
Changing a tire at home stryped[_2_] Metalworking 29 February 6th 09 09:16 PM
A/c balancing Mark Savoy Home Repair 2 May 30th 06 05:26 PM
Balancing nigelb UK diy 2 November 21st 05 10:34 PM