Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Load Cell Scale

I got an AD7730 IC (load cell analog to digital converter) and connected to
an Arduino microcontroller and a load cell. The AD7730 chip is only on a
solderless breadboard right now, but I'm getting pretty good results. The
load cell I'm using is rated for 30Kg's and I'm able to read 1/10th of a
gram with some noise & drift. So far my microcontroller code just
configures the AD7730 chip, reads raw values and converts them to units by
responding to computer keys for zero and calibration.

I'm wanting to get this thing all together in a handheld enclosure with
rechargeable batteries, a LCD display and buttons to allow setup,
configuration, and calibration. A connector will allow me to change load
cells so I can use this with a reloading scale or a 10 ton crane scale, with
all the configuration and calibration saved for each load cell I want to use
it for, saving data for a dozen load cells shouldn't be a problem.

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone wants to mess with Arduino scales
and the AD7730 chip, I can paste my Arduino code that will help get you
started. I couldn't find any functional code with my searches so I started
with a program that wasn't working and got it going with major
modifications.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" fired this volley in
m:

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone wants to mess with Arduino
scales and the AD7730 chip, I can paste my Arduino code that will help
get you started. I couldn't find any functional code with my searches
so I started with a program that wasn't working and got it going with
major modifications.

That would be interesting. I use DATAQ software on my laptop for that,
but then, I wouldn't want to build my laptop into a permanent enclosure!

I use load cells for all sorts of stuff in small automation, and for
measuring thrust of small rocket motors.

I use a load cell amplifier of my own design built around an INA-125
amplifier.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. 3.70...

"RogerN" fired this volley in
om:

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone wants to mess with Arduino
scales and the AD7730 chip, I can paste my Arduino code that will help
get you started. I couldn't find any functional code with my searches
so I started with a program that wasn't working and got it going with
major modifications.

That would be interesting. I use DATAQ software on my laptop for that,
but then, I wouldn't want to build my laptop into a permanent enclosure!

I use load cells for all sorts of stuff in small automation, and for
measuring thrust of small rocket motors.

I use a load cell amplifier of my own design built around an INA-125
amplifier.

LLoyd

A nice part about the DIY project is that I can program it for automatic
weighing or about anything else I want. Coarse feeds, fine feeds, pre-act
to shut off dosing before set point is reached, auto adjust pre-act if it
weighs too heavy or too light, and so on. Or as simple as go / no-go.

I have a couple of INA-125 amps in my Digi-Key cart right now. The AD7730
is kind of neat, the amp, filters, calibration, offset, are built into the
chip but I think I would like to just get the raw data into the
microcontroller and process the data in the microcontroller. One of the
nice things about the AD7730 chip is that I can digitally adjust it for
unipolar or bipolar ranges of 10mV, 20mV, 40,mV or 80mV, zero offsets,
filter settings, etc. That would be handy if I save configurations and
calibrations for different load cells in the eeprom. That way I could
select the load cell I wanted to work with and it would configure the chip
and load the last saved calibration data.

The Arduino has build in 10-bit A/D converters, with the INA-125 I plan to
try to see what kind of weightings I can get out of them by taking multiple
readings. I have heard you can add 16 readings, divide by 4 and get 12 bit
A/D results. Anyway it's kind of fun to play with, last time I looked Radio
Shack had some of the Arduino's for around $30 or so, they seem a huge leap
ahead of the Basic Stamps I was playing with.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" fired this volley in
m:

I have a couple of INA-125 amps in my Digi-Key cart right now.

Roger,
Contact me off-list.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message

The Arduino has build in 10-bit A/D converters, with the INA-125 I
plan to try to see what kind of weightings I can get out of them by
taking multiple readings. I have heard you can add 16 readings,
divide by 4 and get 12 bit A/D results. Anyway it's kind of fun to
play with, last time I looked Radio Shack had some of the Arduino's
for around $30 or so, they seem a huge leap ahead of the Basic
Stamps I was playing with.

RogerN

You would have to look very carefully at the A/D converter's specs and
probably test yours to see if statistical averaging would improve its
resolution; I suspect it's barely good enough for 10 bits, in sleep
mode with good reference bypassing and attention to ground current
paths.

The simple check is to apply a ramped input from a higher resolution
DAC and record the bit transition voltages, then see if the A/D output
consistently changes at a constant fraction of one bit resolution. You
can check manually with a 4-1/2 digit DVM and a 10-turn pot. Look
closely at the major bit transitions at 1/2 (1/4, 1/8) of full scale,
where the DAC resistor ladder changes from 0111111111 to 1000000000.
http://www.atmel.com/Images/doc2549.pdf

They only claim +/- 2 bit accuracy, see section 26. Fig 26-13 and
26-14 show the potentially variable step size of the internal DAC.
Averaging reduces random noise but won't correct gain, offset and
nonlinearity errors.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:jjvd2e$jkh$1
@dont-email.me:

I suspect it's barely good enough for 10 bits, in sleep
mode with good reference bypassing and attention to ground current
paths.

There are a few decent and inexpensive stand-alone A/D converters that tout
+- 1/2 bit at 10 bits.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
[...]

The AD7730 is an amazing chip. I used them for
a downhole tool years ago, to measure temperature
and pressure. A little pricy but worth all of
it if you're just doing a few devices.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message ...

"RogerN" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like good ideas for checking out A/D. I'm not very hopeful on
getting good resolution from the onboard 10-bit A/D converter, beside the
INA125 instrumentation amps in my Digi-Key shopping cart, I have some 24 bit
A/D converters for around $3 each. If all works out I'll have high
resolution converters for load cells, strain gages, pressure transmitters,
or whatever else. I'm wanting the amp to have adjustable gain and offset
pots so I can adjust for whatever I want to use it for at that moment.

Another idea I have is to write the program to calibrate at various weights
and interpolate between the calibration points. For example if I calibrate
at 10, 20, 30, and 40 lbs, I can use the calibration from zero to 10, 10 to
20... for the weights in that range, hopefully correcting for some
non-linearity issues. I don't expect to use 1kg load cells for 0.1 grain
reloading weightings but I would like to see how well a 100g load cell does
with my reloading scale calibration weights. My idea for automatic powder
measurement would be to set a powder measure to dispense maybe 95% of the
charge and use a motorized trickle feeder for the exact weight.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message ...

RogerN wrote:
Just thought I'd share this in case anyone wants to mess with Arduino
scales
and the AD7730 chip, I can paste my Arduino code that will help get you
started. I couldn't find any functional code with my searches so I
started
with a program that wasn't working and got it going with major
modifications.

The AD7730 is an amazing chip. I used them for
a downhole tool years ago, to measure temperature
and pressure. A little pricy but worth all of
it if you're just doing a few devices.

As I get more familiar with this chip I hope I can get it to work well for
me. It seems to work pretty good now but I'm using internal calibrations
for zero and full scale when I power the chip up, this doesn't seem to give
the same readings twice so I have to recalibrate my scale every time I use
it. I'm planning to try it with power up defaults and see if it works
without running through the calibration routines every time it's reset. My
future plan is to use an LCD display and some buttons so the AD7730 can be
configured using a menu and the buttons. The chip does keep the parts down,
I have the AD7730, a few capacitors, and the clock crystal on the
breadboard.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. 3.70...

"RogerN" fired this volley in
om:

I have a couple of INA-125 amps in my Digi-Key cart right now.

Roger,
Contact me off-list.

Lloyd

email? is your address listed?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" fired this volley in news:QY6dnRhtp8rvW_
:

. 3.70...

Just take away the numeric junk from the lloydsp and stick an @ before the
mindspring thing.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
[...]

We always did a recalibrate after a reset. Never
found a way around it. Another gotcha is changing
channels. Be aware that after changing channels,
you have to do several (the number escapes me now)
conversions to flush the delta-sigma pipeline before
you get an accurate reading on the new channel.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerN View Post
[...]

I am Hari from India.I am looking for my college project Ad7730 with Arduino fr linear weigher.Can you paste the arduino code that will help me to start.
Hari
Junior Member

[...]

Roger is there anyway you could share your code with me I'm also building a DYI scale for logging and would love to get a head start on it. Thanks Charlie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 16, 2012 12:30:19 AM UTC, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Hi Roger,

Realise this is an old post now, but if you have any code to hand would be much appreciated.

I have simple weigh scale setup going, and didn't have enough resolution with other chips. Working with the AD7730 now, and despite having finally got SPI working it seems to be really finicky. I often seem to end up in a loop of 1 to 4 bytes repeatedly sent back for whatever register I'm trying to read from... And it only seem correctly write to registers on startup about 70% of the time. The others it just returns spurious bytes.

Anything you've learned might be helpful

Thanks

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

On Friday, March 16, 2012 12:30:19 AM UTC, RogerN wrote:
snip
[...]

I never got real good results but by continually trying after failure it
worked good enough but with slow updates. I have a few different versions
of the code I was working on, not sure of the version that worked the best
but I can send/post what I have. I used a LCD display that has some
buttons, I wrote a menu that lets you calibrate, zero, and tare from the
keys. It needs completed but didn't work after I moved the circuit from a
breadboard to a PC board and I haven't tried to fix it yet.

I first wrote a version that used the Arduino's text screen. I also have a
custom map() function that works correctly with 24 and 32 bit numbers.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Anything you have might be useful. I'm at the point of considering another chip. Interface wise, I'm doing communication with the uC over a serial connection and fully automating it, so the LCD, buttons etc might be superfluous.

A few specific problems I seem to have come across are below. Just wondering if they might be the same things that you had to overcome.

1) POL pin set low, SPI_MODE0 does not work. Only POL pin high and SPI_MODE3.

2) To get consistent reads of a register I have to introduce delays that, from my reading of the datasheet timing table, should not be needed. I also need to toggle the CS pin in between a read command and actually reading from the register, which doesn't seem to be specified (example code):

void adc_read( int address, int bytes ){
digitalWrite( CS, LOW );
delay( 1 );
SPI.transfer( READ_ONCE | register ); // Write to the com register, specifiying the register to read
digitalWrite( CS, HIGH ); // Toggle the CS pin. Does not seem to work without this. Either outputs garbage, or skips a single bit.
delay( 1 );
digitalWrite( CS, LOW );
delay( 1 );
for( int i = 0; ibytes; i++){
Serial.print( SPI.transfer( 0x00 ), BIN );
}
digitalWrite( CS, HIGH );
delay(1); // Pause to stop next read or write occurring to early
}

3) On internal zero or full scale calibration, if I only wait on the RDY pin ( as in the pseudo code examples of the datasheet ) the AD7730 does not always assert RDY LOW ( probably does not manage to calibrate ), and you can't move on

4) Once successfully into continuous reading mode, an interrupt attached to RDY pin will fire (and read the data register ) extremely frequently for a couple of seconds, and then the RDY pin stops being asserted (the AD7730 stops continuous update of the register? ).

5) I can't seem to work out whether continuous conversion in the Mode register, and Read continuous to the communications register are intrinsically linked, or whether you should be able to set continuous conversion, and perform single readings (which would make sense).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

2) To get consistent reads of a register I have to introduce delays
that, from my reading of the datasheet timing table, should not be
needed. I also need to toggle the CS pin in between a read command and
actually reading from the register, which doesn't seem to be specified
(example code):

Frequently I've found that the datasheet doesn't quite agree with the
timing requirements revealed by an oscilloscope. The datasheet
parameters begin as proposed goals to guide the designer, and may not
all be tested in production, or verified during development if the
engineer doesn't task the lab tech (me) to specifically measure them.
Some are "guaranteed by design".

I've found some whoppers, really, but have signed non-disclosure
agreements.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to RogerN , kasunsf wrote:
regor wrote:

[...]

Hi! i was trying to build a scale using AD7730. I set the POL pin HIGH and
SPI MODE0. I was able to write to the registers successfully. I read-back
the written register values as well.
But when it comes to continuous reading of data register, RDY pin goes LOW
only once. Can you please help me to solve this issue?

Kasun

posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...le-539297-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"kasunsf" wrote in message
oups.com...

replying to RogerN , kasunsf wrote:

snip

--

Sorry I don't remember it that well, but I remember that if I didn't get a
response after a length of time, it would automatically time out and try

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to david, Matt wrote:
ibratio

Hi, I am having the same problem that you described in point 3 and the
calibration of the AD7730 never finishes as the uC waits for the RDY pin to go
LOW. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...le-539297-.htm